PDA

View Full Version : Nextel Cloudberry

GBLASER
10-09-2003, 09:44 AM
I know that this has nothing to do with boating but it seems that if a boater has a question, no matter how bizzare, someone always has an answer.
Has anyone had any contact with these? it is a GPS for your phone, so the employer can track where you are at any time. it shows addresses and speed that you are traveling.
Now my problem with this is that at my company we are salaried employees in the field maybe 50% of the time working 8 to 10 hours a day. For the company to know our every move is bothersome and shows no trust. Besides what if I need to stop and take a crap.
I am just looking for anyone that may know labor laws, since the labor comissioner is like impossible to contact. It seems like there would be some strict guidelines.
Any information would be helpfull.

summerlove
10-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Check this out - it sounds pretty cool, actually. I didn't see a GPS tracking option, so maybe they're just blowing smoke, but the combo phone/blackberry is handy...
http://www.nextel.com/services/nextelonline/rim1.shtml

GBLASER
10-09-2003, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the info...The Cloudbery is a GPS tracking option on the phones.
I had a guy in the office track me one day and the computer told him exactly where I was and that I had traveled 82 mph on the way to my destination. You can go back and chart the entire weeks locations and traveling speeds # of stops, time at each stop, exact adresses etc..
I have nothing to hide and I still think that this must be an invasion of something.

Froggystyle
10-09-2003, 10:30 AM
Maybe, unless you agree to carry it.
Would it affect your job if you refused to?
Plus, you could always shut it off.

summerlove
10-09-2003, 10:34 AM
That SUCKS! Good luck....
Not a bad idea for the kids though...hmmm idea

GBLASER
10-09-2003, 10:40 AM
It is included in our cell phone and radio,I58 nextel, so we always carry them. It can be turned off but it shows up on the screen as such. We will have a meeting about them tomorrow and I just needed some input.

Ntwotrance
10-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Actually, they're trying to make it illegal (as it infringes on rights), not sure what the current status of it is though.

burbanite
10-09-2003, 12:10 PM
If anyone has to spend time looking over other peoples shoulders then they obviously don't have enough to do themselves... wink

GBLASER
10-09-2003, 12:17 PM
Actually I am a PM for a Casework manufacturer. We visit the sites to measure, meetings, check on installers etc. so we may visit 3 to 5 sites on any one given day.I just think that it raises alot of questions. I agree that it is a good thing to track our installers because they are to be on a particular site, but if someone gets a phone call and they never get to the job that they signed out to then the red flags go up and you have to explain yourself.
If you are doing something that you shouldn't then you need to explain but if someone is truthfull and still has to explain then it is a pain in the ass.

BajaMike
10-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Froggystyle:
Maybe, unless you agree to carry it.
Would it affect your job if you refused to?
Plus, you could always shut it off. FYI, some cell phones (and all Blackberrys) are still "on" when you turn them "off".

BajaMike
10-09-2003, 12:41 PM
What about the potential for spouses tracking each other...might be handy if you don't trust your spouse/girlfriend, but scary if she does'nt trust you....
"Honey, I just bought you a neat new cell phone...."
argue
Mike
[ October 09, 2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: BajaMike ]

hot_diggity_dog
10-09-2003, 12:47 PM
Check with Wet Willie he uses them on his employees.
HDD :cool:

summerlove
10-09-2003, 12:47 PM
Satellite vehicle tracking has been around for awhile - Qualcomm makes their money from it. I'm sure those of you with radar detectors have noticed the alarm everytime you pass a trucker with one of those. I suppose the legal challenges have been exhausted by now and assume they're legal.

Terrible Buddhist
10-09-2003, 12:57 PM
tough call on that...as a business owner, do I want my guys using a bus for their own purposes when it costs me money to run it?
by the same token...big brother gets closer every day huh?

Seadog
10-09-2003, 01:13 PM
Like any tool, it can be abused. We have strict rules about e-mail and internet use, but nobody gets too bent about it. However, let a virus be introduced by someone downloading a game or picture, or give them cause to want you fired, it is an easy way to gather evidence. Its like the blackboxes, nobody with good business sense keeps a tight watch over them, but if they get complaints or an accident, they got the record.

jbtrailerjim
10-09-2003, 01:25 PM
I think it sounds like a good idea. We use Nextel. I think just might have to check this out. I don't know how many times I'm trying to figure out were my service truck guy's are and what the hell is taking them so long to get to a next service call. Then you ask them and they have some stupid ass excuse. :mad:

EricU
10-09-2003, 01:36 PM
If you don't like it, QUIT!
Eric.

bigq
10-10-2003, 07:29 AM
If the service for that is anywhere close to the cell phone service and voice mail, it won't work half the time anyway. :confused:

Ultra5150
10-10-2003, 07:42 AM
I am an HR Director and what they are doing is completley legal. Managements way of thinking is, that if you are doing nothing wrong then don't even worry about it. I really doubt they will write someone up for taking a dump.
Just my 2 cents.

WetWillie
10-11-2003, 09:45 AM
How did I miss this topic??
I use them for about 20 employees. It costs me around $30 a month to have the service per person. I loaded the application on 5 PC's in the office and I have my admin staff do random checks for people’s whereabouts. If there were there supposed to be then they have nothing to worry about. My big issue is that I have teams that work together at various sites. If the lead decides to cut out early by 1/2 hour then I have 4 guys leaving 1/2 early. Believe me this does happen! Or extended lunches!! Or running errands on company time. So it saves me potentially $1000's a month.
If the employee doesn’t like to carry the phone they can go find another job.
On the flip side that portion of the service can be turned off. But it shows it on the interface in the office.
Cloudberry is having an issue with the software currently that really drains the battery daily. The software update via GPS every 30 seconds which is way too much. I have guys that have the extended batteries and it still drains them. Cloudberry is fixing the software to only update while they are on the move! Which should take care of this problem?
As a business owner I think it’s great! As an employee looking to squeak all the time I can out of my employer I wouldn’t like it!
GPS will be standard in ALL WL phones soon! This is a new law and has to do with 911 calls!
WW idea
[ October 11, 2003, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: WetWillie ]