PDA

View Full Version : Polyethelene Tape???

Catatonic
02-10-2003, 07:43 AM
Has anyone ever used polyethelene tape to protect the bottom of the boat from the scratches left by the beach? I just bought a used Eliminator 25 Eagle and it has some typical scratches from beaching at Havasu. I previously used a gelcoat guy to repair the scratches on my Advantage but he charged $900 and I don't want to go through that again. Any suggestions or direction would be appreciated.

twistedpair
02-10-2003, 08:28 AM
Try this
Keelguard.com (http://keelguard.com/)

Risky Business
02-10-2003, 08:31 AM
You're not really thinking about using TAPE on your Eliminator, are you???????
Sounde like you live in a mobil home. Oh that's right, you do!!!! Well, at least part time.
What's up buddy...Talk to Steve or Jill at Fiberglass Reformations. I think it's $350 for a Keel Guard. They are picking up my boat this week for that exact thing. We beach our boats way too often and re-gelcoating every season will be expensive.
Bob just had his HTM done and it looks good. Barely visible. Hope to see you guys in the 22nd.
E

Risky Business
02-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Donelli:
One more thing, I shot you only ONE star for the suggestion of putting tape on your Eliminator. Only Advantage owners use tape...hehehehe

Catatonic
02-10-2003, 05:27 PM
One measly freakin star? Yes you will see us on the 22nd. The only question is whether the new boat will be ready or not. Preesh on the keel guard...out.

Catatonic
02-10-2003, 05:28 PM
Thanks to Twistedpair also.

Catatonic
02-10-2003, 05:28 PM
Thanks to Twistedpair also.

Risky Business
02-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Domelli:
We weren't counting on you guys having your boat done, so cruising with us will be cool. But I'm sure you are itching to get that thing wet (the boat thiat is).

TRG
02-10-2003, 05:49 PM
ive never charged anything more than 400$ for beaching repairs! and that was with actual fiberglass repair!...not just gel. the only thing that ive heard problems with is discoloration of the tape, and peeling,with that aside ,...doesnt sound like a bad idea.

Boatcop
02-10-2003, 05:56 PM
I'll vouch for Keelguard. We beach (on and off)our boats more in one weekend than most of you guys will do in a summer.
We used to have an 18' Sunset that didn't have one, and we were re-glassing the keel twice a year.
If installed correctly, they will last as long as the boat, and you can get them in colors to match almost any hull.
They CAN be removed, so it won't affect resale value. Heck, they'll probably increase resale, since you'd be selling a boat with a virgin keel, instead of one all scratched up.

Catatonic
02-10-2003, 07:30 PM
Thanks again guys. According to the keel guard website I can be in business for about $190. Sounds like a winner.

Risky Business
02-10-2003, 07:45 PM
I also think in order to get the lifetime warranty, an authorized dealer must put it on. Otherwise, you know my cheap butt would be doing it myself.

beach gomer
02-10-2003, 07:46 PM
hay chris what happen to racing the factory 1
class and also what motor did you get .

Catatonic
02-11-2003, 07:15 AM
Gomer, one word...$$$$. We had no trouble with equipment sponsors but needed one big sponsor to offset the expenses. So Pancho is ordering a 2750 and I got an Eliminator. The motor is just the base 7.4 and I am already looking for upgrades. BTW, Congrats on the new baby!!! The Mrs. was looking for your address to send you a card so hopefully you got it. When do your snowbirds bail?

Seadog
02-11-2003, 10:51 AM
This is a good outfit that makes a product with a great rep. Hamby's (http://www.hambys.com/)