PDA

View Full Version : Scam or Not?

Rubths
09-05-2003, 01:03 PM
I have had my boat in the hot boat clasified adds for sale and just recieved a relay call on my cell phone from some someone in Nigera Africa that wanted to know my best price. Once we settled on a price the person wanted to send me a cashiers check for the full payment and shipping charges and wanted me to give the shipper the ballance that day. I asked for this person to email me all there contact info as well as the shippers info before I gave them any of my contact info and address to send the payment to and hope to get this email before I leave for the river today so I know if I should drag the boat home.
What do you all think scam or not?

Dribble
09-05-2003, 01:08 PM
What was your first clue? Nigeria isn't exactly a hot boat haven.

al cole'holic
09-05-2003, 01:15 PM
Rubths:
I have had my boat in the hot boat clasified adds for sale and just recieved a relay call on my cell phone from some someone in Nigera Africa that wanted to know my best price. Once we settled on a price the person wanted to send me a cashiers check for the full payment and shipping charges and wanted me to give the shipper the ballance that day. I asked for this person to email me all there contact info as well as the shippers info before I gave them any of my contact info and address to send the payment to and hope to get this email before I leave for the river today so I know if I should drag the boat home.
What do you all think scam or not? WTF???

STGP
09-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Don't even waster your time it's a scam for sure.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Scam

GlastronGuy
09-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Scam

Boozer
09-05-2003, 01:29 PM
Probably a scam but you never know.

Ntwotrance
09-05-2003, 01:30 PM
Without a doubt, SCAM

Rubths
09-05-2003, 01:30 PM
Forensic:
Tell them to wire the entire ammount to you account firstI did not want to give out any of my info especially my banking info untill I knew if this was legit

Ntwotrance
09-05-2003, 01:33 PM
If you do a search on yahoo of "boat buying" and Nigeria and scam, you'll see that it is indeed a scam.

topless
09-05-2003, 01:33 PM
Tell him to send it western union or moneygram.

Boatcop
09-05-2003, 01:34 PM
Definitely a SCAM, with a capital "S"!
I've had several friends who were selling their VW's on an internet site who were approached with the same type of deal.
If they contact you again, tell them to pound sand.
[ September 05, 2003, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Boatcop ]

Rubths
09-05-2003, 01:51 PM
Ntwotrance:
If you do a search on yahoo of "boat buying" and Nigeria and scam, you'll see that it is indeed a scam. Thanks for the tip I found the scam and its exactly what I encountered today. It was just very wierd that they would go to the trouble and cost to call me using a relay service. Only time will tell if they email me there contact info as requested, if they do I will play along and contact the police.

NOTALENT
09-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Just curious what type of boat it is and how much? Is it the one in the pic?

Rubths
09-05-2003, 02:06 PM
Bropb16:
Just curious what type of boat it is and how much? Is it the one in the pic? Yes it is the boat in the pic, 1977 19ft Miller fresh 500hp 454, New ported and polished merlin heads with triple springs and roller rockers, Pump just done by Tom Papp himself. The boat gps with 4 people large cooler and 20gls fuel at 67mph and high 70s with one. This boat is in excellent condition inside and out!
asking $9800 obo

miller19j
09-05-2003, 02:09 PM
HolyMoly went through a deal just like this I think his was a scam. He would have the info.

Laveyman
09-05-2003, 02:23 PM
SCAM-OLA!!! I've had two of these clown try to buy a classic car from my dad's estate. Both sent me counterfeit cashier's checks for about $4500 more than the purchase price to cover shipping the car overseas. I was supposed to deposit the check and immediately wire their "shipping agent" the extra money. Both times I just took the check to Bank of America as that is the bank they used to counterfeit the check. I turned it over to their fraud folks. Do not deposit these things. They are bogus. This is one of the largest scams going on the internet today. The biggest problem in apprehending them is they are all based overseas, making it an international problem, not a local law enforcement thing.

Laveyman
09-05-2003, 02:26 PM
BTW, Don't accept wire tranfers either. They also deal in false wire transfers. If they want it, have them show up with cold hard cash in their hands. They will go away when you demand this, believe me.

miller19j
09-05-2003, 02:29 PM
Just for reference you may want to place an Ad in the Photo Ad for the Santa Maria area. Millers are sought after up there. I’ll bet that you would have a pretty easy time selling it.

AZKC
09-05-2003, 02:49 PM
They are still trying that crap, this has been going on for at least 3 years that I know of.
KC

HM
09-05-2003, 02:51 PM
I had a guy offer me more than I was asking and it went like this:
I have a business associate who owes me $$$$ (more than I was asking). I will have him send you a cashiers check. I told him WIRE TRANSFER ONLY on 3 different e-mails and even on the phone - the guy has a used car lot or something. He kept asking where to send the cashiers check to, so told him to pound sand.
Wire Transfers are Standard Operating Procedure for international transactions....if they won't agree to a wire transfer, then they are looking to scam you.

NOTALENT
09-05-2003, 02:51 PM
Thats one wicked boat. I wish I had the money right now. I plan to purchase at the beginning of next summer. May or June.

ROZ
09-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Well since it's probably a scam and you would have fell for it, sign the boat over to me. Atleast you know it's going to a good home :D

HM
09-05-2003, 02:58 PM
Laveyman:
BTW, Don't accept wire tranfers either. They also deal in false wire transfers. How does that happen? My bank told me that a wire transfer = cash.

Kilrtoy
09-05-2003, 03:00 PM
WHAT
That is not a scam,
Some WARLORD wants to make your boat his new Patrol boat to attack the government.
Ship the boat to him ASAP, he may be held up by some country, like, shit
THE USA....

Mandelon
09-05-2003, 03:04 PM
After the cashier's check turns out to be fraud the bank dings your account for the money back, and you are out the money and the boat.... frown

Rubths
09-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Shit my two dogs just had one of there WHO IS THE BOSS showdowns and my hand was just opened up. Thanks for all the feed back and Roz I would not have fallen for it but if you hurry over you can stitch my hand up and join us on the river this weekend wink

VillainDave
09-05-2003, 04:37 PM
Mandelon:
After the cashier's check turns out to be fraud the bank dings your account for the money back, and you are out the money and the boat.... :( Its' a huge scam you'll still have your boat but your money will be long gone.
You should post their email address

AzDon
09-05-2003, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't even return a phone call overseas because some of these phone numbers are hundreds per minute (scam). I also wouldn't give up any acct. info! Tell him to send you the cashiers check and you'll arrange shipment when the funds are clearly in your hands.

wineguy069
09-05-2003, 06:04 PM
:mad:
In the early 90's I owned an online computer company. I once had received a cashiers check (us drawn) for $6k. I deposited it and shipped the goods. About two weeks later I went to the bank and found $6k missing, apparently this was a fake cashiers check and wasn't caught until it reached the fed. depository.
Anyway, I was screwed on that one, and this looked as legit as anything BofA was printing at the time.
Wineguy. :mad: thanks for bringing up this bad memory..... that would put a new engine in my boat....

jlnorthrup122
09-05-2003, 06:04 PM
I have gotten numerouse e-mails like that don't waste your time it is a big scam they wanted me to pay a $10,000. deductable on a $29million dallar claim and they would give me $7 mil in return! big ass scam same country Nigeria They always use Nigeria for some reason I think it has something to do with an international loophold in the nigerian gov? but anyways I would set up the deal without using any of your money and notify the feds and if the dude shows up to collect bam booken dano!

Rexone
09-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Forged cashiers checks are very common and relatively easy to produce with today's computer technology. We got burned by a couple.

CEO
09-05-2003, 07:32 PM
SCAM, SCAM, SCAM