PDA

View Full Version : Any Air Conditioner Installers/Contractors Here?

GlastronGuy
03-29-2003, 01:53 PM
My heat pump is right off my patio and 12" from my bedroom. When it comes on it wakes me up. I'd like to build a "wishing well" around it to disguise it from view from the patio and insulate it on the house side. Not a working one, just for looks.
How much room do I need to allow around it to allow for air flow?
I could leave one side entirely open.
TIA
http://www.ctecomputer.com/fountains/new%20images/wishing-well-vertical.jpg
[ March 29, 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: GlastronGuy ]

Tom Brown
03-29-2003, 03:49 PM
It's been about 10 years since I was in the refrigeration industry.
I would suggest that you post the brand and model of your heat pump so someone can look up the spec. The installation specifications should show how much clearance you need to the sides as well as above the unit. If no one here can/does, you can always just call a dealer.
Keep in mind that anything you do that reduces airflow will also reduce the efficiency of the unit. It will have to work harder, will take more power, compressor life will be reduced, etc.
You might be better off to have it moved.
-- Tom :)

thedroid
03-29-2003, 04:18 PM
Glastronguy,
Most manfacturers recommend 6" on all sides that have the condensor coils are exposed, and 48" above the unit to reject air out and away.
I have been an HVAC contractor in Illinois for about fifteen years and have found that if the enclosure can sometimes make the unit sound louder depending on location and construction.
Is there any place that you can relocate the unit around the house? I know this sounds complicated but is really quite simple on many applications.
Hope this helps
Send me a few shots of your Glastron so I can put in my file. Mine is a 78 CV23/429CJ/BerkJF. Hve you seen the Classic Glastron website @ classicglastron.com
Good Luck.

GlastronGuy
03-29-2003, 05:11 PM
thedroid:
Glastronguy,
Most manfacturers recommend 6" on all sides that have the condensor coils are exposed, and 48" above the unit to reject air out and away.
I have been an HVAC contractor in Illinois for about fifteen years and have found that if the enclosure can sometimes make the unit sound louder depending on location and construction.
Is there any place that you can relocate the unit around the house? I know this sounds complicated but is really quite simple on many applications.
Hope this helps
Send me a few shots of your Glastron so I can put in my file. Mine is a 78 CV23/429CJ/BerkJF. Hve you seen the Classic Glastron website @ classicglastron.com
Good Luck. It wouldn't be a simple move for the unit.
My boat is on Classic Glastron, somewhere.
It was also "Jet Boat Of The Year" on Teshio's site about 3 years ago.
Couple of photos here. (http://home.attbi.com/~glastron_carlson/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html)
http://www.teshio.com/JetBoat/images/carlsoncfw3.jpg
[ March 29, 2003, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: GlastronGuy ]

GlastronGuy
03-29-2003, 05:33 PM
GlastronGuy:
thedroid:
Glastronguy,
Hope this helps
I don't see a manufacturer name but the model # is AC1CN036-B.
Good Luck. It wouldn't be a simple move for the unit.
My boat is on Classic Glastron, somewhere.
It was also "Jet Boat Of The Year" on Teshio's site about 3 years ago.
Couple of photos here. (http://home.attbi.com/~glastron_carlson/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html)
http://www.teshio.com/JetBoat/images/carlsoncfw3.jpg

Tinkerer
03-29-2003, 05:56 PM
DO NOT ENCLOSE IT
If you enclose it with less than 12 inches clearence from the sides it will block air flow and drasticly reduce the heat output in the winter. Anything you enclose it with should be raised off the ground at least 6 inches to allow air to enter at the ground level. And if you get snow that opening will have to be kept clear. If the heat pump doesn't have proper air flow it will go into defrost a lot more. This will drasticly reduce heat output and increase your electric bill. You also need at least 5 ft clearence above the condenser or the heat ( in cooling mode ) will come back arround and get drawn in again. This will increase head pressure and reduce the cooling output and again increase your electric bill. The best thing you could do is move the condenser as far away from your bedroom as you can. I have installed the condensers as far as 50 feet away from a house before. Maximum line set should not exceed 100 feet or it will have to be resized from coil to condenser to take into account the added friction loss.