PDA

View Full Version : Rush fans, check it out!!!

Froggystyle
03-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Any of you who have Direct TV, there is a Rush "Freeview" this weekend. It plays over and over again on channel 100 or 101, I can't remember which.
Phenomenal. Geddy Lee is scary looking though. Alex Lifeson has really gotten great at guitar, even though I always consdidered him the weakest link, and Neil Peart... well. He is still the greatest percussionist to ever hit the skins.
Check it out if it interests you... I reccommend it highly.
[ March 02, 2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Froggystyle ]

LilFlattie
03-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Oh Yea, I have watched it twice. NEil Peart id the best.. I stil think that Alex is the weak link..That drum solo just rocks :D

Froggystyle
03-02-2003, 12:00 PM
I think that Alex is getting far better though. Geddy is just so tough to look at.
The man can play bass though, I will give that to him.
One thing I didn't like was that they changed the normal opener/closer. They almost always opened with "Distant Early Warning" Except for the "Counterparts" tour where they opened with "Dreamline" and suprised everyone. But one thing you knew for certain was that when you heard "Spirit of Radio" the show was over. That was always the last song, during the last encore. They played it right after the drum solo on this on.
Just shaking it up I guess.
I would have liked to have heard "Cold Fire" somewhere in there too. That is my favorite Rush song to date.

Rod-64
03-02-2003, 12:26 PM
I saw them at MGM in vegas last year, and the 1st song was Tom Sawyer....good concert except the volume sucked...not loud enough...Of course, nobody was as loud as Pantera at the HOB in Vegas..that was a lesson in decibal 101...Great show! :D

sandblasted
03-02-2003, 01:27 PM
This will show you just how old I am...I saw Rush for the 1st time when I was 15 in 1978...at the Santa Monica civic auditorium...UFO opened for them, when Michael Schenker was still playing guitar with UFO...It still stands as one of the best concerts I've ever been too..
and I still think "Working Man" is one of their best songs, at least it's one of my favorites!

MikeF
03-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Is it possible to tape it w/a VCR? Will someone do it? :o :D

JetBoatRich
03-02-2003, 02:45 PM
sandblasted:
This will show you just how old I am...I saw Rush for the 1st time when I was 15 in 1978...at the Santa Monica civic auditorium...UFO opened for them, when Michael Schenker was still playing guitar with UFO...It still stands as one of the best concerts I've ever been too..
and I still think "Working Man" is one of their best songs, at least it's one of my favorites! Old Man, we look up to you :confused:

Cole
03-02-2003, 03:37 PM
Neil pert and Chad wackerman..two best drummers ever!!!!Cole

Just Tool'n
03-02-2003, 04:07 PM
To go way back I saw Rush open for Aerosmith in Fresno in 1977,Man I wish I could party that hard agian!

Raskal
03-02-2003, 04:07 PM
saw them in az few months back man they are great live .and neal is the man drum solos are awsome :)
[ March 02, 2003, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Raskal ]

Just Tool'n
03-02-2003, 04:10 PM
And now that I am thinking about it, I think that AC/DC was the opening act that night also. Those where the days 3 bands on one night!

JustMVG
03-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Did Anyone see the Blue Oyster Cult Freeview?
It's great to see Rush, i have seen them live and have been blown away every time.
I remember that Santa Monica Civic show , awesome!!! The last Forum show was great too.
Mike VG

Jordy
03-02-2003, 04:28 PM
Cole:
Neil pert and Chad wackerman..two best drummers ever!!!!Cole What about Matt Sorum when he was drumming for GnR??? The Use Your Illusion tour was great.
Tommy Lee wasn't too bad either. Drumming upside down and spinning around.

roostwear
03-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Cole:
Neil pert and Chad wackerman..two best drummers ever!!!!Cole John Bonham and Carl Palmer come to mind too

sidewound
03-02-2003, 06:01 PM
Hey
I don't have the tv thing but I saw them in Cedar Falls Iowa last year and they kicked some major ass. They had no opening act and put on a two hour and forty five minute show with a short intermission. I counted 25 songs. Two and a half albums worth. N.P. is a great drummer Alex has improved over time, don't know if there is a weak link in a 3 peice band that has sold millions of albums and still can sell out, and Lee has always been ugly. Nothin new here. But any guy who can sing all tha lead vocals, Play bass, all the keyboard parts and taurus synth. pedals and sometimes simaltainiosly gets my vote as top dog
P.S. I was a full time professional musician for 15 years. Peace Man

SK48
03-02-2003, 06:38 PM
Froggy, Rush is a boat builder,, what are you talking about. The Worlds Fastest G.N. Boats are Rush performance boats, just ask Super Dave. I think you are all mixed up.

A.SNEED
03-02-2003, 08:52 PM
SK48 THIS TIME YOU ARE WRONG FOR SURE,WE ALL KNOW WHAT ARE THE FASTES GN BOATS ITS THE ONES THAT HOLD 90 PERCENT OF THE RECORDS AND IM PRETTY SURE THERE NOT RUSHES

sandblasted
03-02-2003, 08:59 PM
JetBoatRich:
sandblasted:
and I still think "Working Man" is one of their best songs, at least it's one of my favorites! Old Man, we look up to you :confused: Man, how things change in 20+ years..Back then I had hair down past my shoulders..Now I got a crew cut...and a few grey strands, but still listen to kick ass rock n' roll!! :D

JetBoatRich
03-02-2003, 09:01 PM
You have hair? Greg, how is everything?

sandblasted
03-02-2003, 09:05 PM
MandMVG:
Did Anyone see the Blue Oyster Cult Freeview?
It's great to see Rush, i have seen them live and have been blown away every time.
I remember that Santa Monica Civic show , awesome!!! The last Forum show was great too.
Mike VG Remember when Blue Oyster Cult use to tour small clubs as "Soft White Underbelly"? I saw them at the Country Club in Reseda back in the 80's, that was another one of my top 10 concerts of all time...B.O.C. was absolutely one of the best "live" acts of all time..I don't know why but they are one of those bands that just sounds so much better "live' than on vinyl.

sandblasted
03-02-2003, 09:10 PM
JetBoatRich:
You have hair? Greg, how is everything? Yeah, I still have some left.. Except for the bald spot! :D
Things are great..spent all day putting up a ceiling fan, some track lighting and mounted surround speakers on the walls...Must have spent a good 3-4 hours up in the attic..what fun!

JetBoatRich
03-02-2003, 09:47 PM
Greg Better now, then when it hits 110 outside eek!

Metal_King
03-02-2003, 09:47 PM
Froggystyle:
I think that Alex is getting far better though. Geddy is just so tough to look at.
The man can play bass though, I will give that to him.In my opinion, the greatest rock band to ever walk on the earth. I put them in front of everyone else. Maybe if Bonham hadn't died, Zep would be #1, but the talent pool in Rush is sick.
Geddy, Alex, and Neil sound like a 6 piece band sometimes. People forget they are only a 3 piece band. I have seen Rush 4 times...for Hold Your Fire, Presto, Counterparts and now Vapor Trails. And they keep getting better everytime IMO.
I saw them in October at Staples and my wife's business has a Luxury Box, so that is where I watched them from. And get this....FREE BEER!! Heineken for that matter!
When I die, I already told my wife to bury me with my LA Kings jersey on and Rush's "Permanent Waves" and "Moving Pictures" CDs in the casket...

Froggystyle
03-02-2003, 10:24 PM
One of the funniest dynamics in rock and roll exists between any other rock concert, and watching Rush.
Any other concert, you see the unwashed masses. Everyone out to scream and shout at the band with all of the hits, and go nuts when they hear the one song that is on replay on all of the radio stations.
At a Rush concert, I would say that over 60% of the crowd is musicians, intently listening to what is going on in disbelief, and trying to figure out how they are going to play the next riff with only three people and no pre-programmed tracks.
I too would say they are the most talented band on the planet right now. Too bad the depth of lyrics is such that they will never really hold the harmony vote, or the serious vocal technical vote. Musicianship is through the roof, but I was always in wonderment what they would have been like if they had found a really talented vocalist without such a distinctive (I'm being nice) voice.
Don't get me wrong, I have seen them three times. I just always leave hoarse trying to sing along!
Great concert anyway... thought you all should know about it.

JustMVG
03-02-2003, 11:14 PM
Froggy you hit it right on, but did you ever notice the frustrated Drummers and wanna be drummers "air drumming" and still getting it wrong but having the time of their lives, then staring in amazement as Neil goes thru another killer drum solo.
See ya Mike VG :D

rivercrazy
03-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Rush is one of my all time favorites. Great musicians and they have a lot to say at the same time. Very deep band all the way around

C2
03-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Kicks ass!, although they look like a couple of goofballs at times.
:D :D
C2

MikeF
03-08-2003, 06:16 AM
How Neil can get both sides of his brain working that well together, playing that good, is beyond me eek! :cool: :cool: :cool: !
Best disc's: Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Farewell to Kings, Moving Pictures and Signals.
Listen to Scars on Presto and tell me how he does it jawdrop .

MikeF
03-08-2003, 06:18 AM
Anyone tape it?!

boatless
03-08-2003, 07:39 AM
Stuck here in AZ and no direct tv - just Cox digital. I've been a big fan of Rush, well since my first concert in '80's. They are just amazing to watch and hear with only three people.

sandblasted
03-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Froggystyle:
One of the funniest dynamics in rock and roll exists between any other rock concert, and watching Rush.
Any other concert, you see the unwashed masses. Everyone out to scream and shout at the band with all of the hits, and go nuts when they hear the one song that is on replay on all of the radio stations.
At a Rush concert, I would say that over 60% of the crowd is musicians, intently listening to what is going on in disbelief, and trying to figure out how they are going to play the next riff with only three people and no pre-programmed tracks.
I too would say they are the most talented band on the planet right now. Too bad the depth of lyrics is such that they will never really hold the harmony vote, or the serious vocal technical vote. Musicianship is through the roof, but I was always in wonderment what they would have been like if they had found a really talented vocalist without such a distinctive (I'm being nice) voice.
Don't get me wrong, I have seen them three times. I just always leave hoarse trying to sing along!
Great concert anyway... thought you all should know about it. Not many bands would base epic songs on the writing of Ayn Rand, one of the true great writers of the 20th century as far as "individual freedom" is concerned! I still like the old stuff much better than the newer stuff but I listen to it all.. :D

Infomaniac
03-09-2003, 07:28 AM
I saw them in concert around 1980 in San Diego. Amazing how much noise 3 guys can make.
They had 2 huge spotlights on the stage floor pointed at the crowd. When the crowd got too close to the stage, they turned on the lights. seemed to work well.
[ March 09, 2003, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

MJ19
03-09-2003, 09:16 AM
Froggystyle:
Any of you who have Direct TV, there is a Rush "Freeview" this weekend. Hee, hee smile_sp ...Froggy...I saw "Rush" and thought you were talking about Rush Limbaugh :rolleyes: :D

Charley
03-09-2003, 12:35 PM
I definitely want to see it!.... My wife and I had our first date at a rush concert( Irvine Meadows) I think 1992 .....also, I had some lights on this passed tour...just 8 of the probably 100 but still kinda exciting just the same, thanks froggy :D

JustMVG
03-09-2003, 01:03 PM
It seems that a new Rush concert dvd is coming out this week, Alex proclaims that this is the best they have ever sounded on dvd, 5.1 surround sound format. This info from KLOS rock report.
See ya Mike VG

JustMVG
03-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Also the for those of you who might be interested a 3 disc dvd and 2 disc audio set is due out from Led Zeppelin, concerts and archival footage, from what i have heard and seen this is going to be killer.
Mike VG

Rod-64
03-09-2003, 04:36 PM
Checked Amazon....Zep is due out May 27th.for $22.49.

C-2
03-09-2003, 07:43 PM
Couldn’t believe they cranked out Temple of Syrinx, just phenomenal. When discussing favorite albums, 2112 is definitely on that list. And yes, I’ll tape it so those satellite impaired folks can enjoy it too!
Looking forward to the Zep stuff.
I only wish I could REMEMBER half the concerts I’ve been too; I was there but usually things were a little bit fuzzy if ya know what I mean.

JustMVG
03-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Jim Ladd the KLOS DJ had the Rush Freeview concert on last night and said that the concert will be released on cd soon. Didn't sound the same as on the Direct TV.

Catmando
03-10-2003, 08:40 PM
MJ19:
Froggystyle:
Any of you who have Direct TV, there is a Rush "Freeview" this weekend. Hee, hee smile_sp ...Froggy...I saw "Rush" and thought you were talking about Rush Limbaugh :rolleyes: :D Me too. :o :D
Sandblasted, I too am an Objectivist, and for many years.

MikeF
03-10-2003, 08:48 PM
C-2:
And yes, I’ll tape it so those satellite impaired folks can enjoy it too!That would be me :o .