PDA

View Full Version : Need main water line in Havasu

bigq
07-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Anyone know a plumber in Havasu, I guess it would be a plumbing company. I need a water line extended to a lot. It is the main water line in the street.
Thanks

victorfb
07-10-2003, 09:06 PM
is this a water supply for a structure, or soon to be structure?
if there is a water meter at the main its a pretty simple task to continue the water supply further. i would recomend useing the same size pipe for as long as you can.
here in calif we are required to install a water presure regulator before it enters the structure. and its a good idea to do so. presure is regulated by the device and volume is from the size of pipe used.

victorfb
07-10-2003, 09:09 PM
and do yourself a favor and only use copper. it costs more now, but cheaper later. just my $0.02

01RENEGADE
07-10-2003, 09:11 PM
You need to tell them you need a water service from the main to your property. Its not that hard to do .Dig a trench run your copper line for service install a customer valve or ball valve pressure regulator a meter and your set.The problem might come if the main line dosent have a stub out for your property.Than you will need to have that connected to your service.Try calling the water dept in Havasu they might be able to help. We do this everyday at work and its pretty easy.

bigq
07-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Nope, I need the main water line in the street ran down two more lots. For some reason the water line stops at the lot nextdoor. So the street needs to be dug up and the line run across the front of two lots.Then it can go up to the water meter. The water company wont do such a small run so they said I need to contact someone to do it.
[ July 10, 2003, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: bigq ]

burbanite
07-11-2003, 08:03 AM
bigq:
Nope, I need the main water line in the street ran down two more lots. For some reason the water line stops at the lot nextdoor. So the street needs to be dug up and the line run across the front of two lots.Then it can go up to the water meter. The water company wont do such a small run so they said I need to contact someone to do it. I presume they are not going to charge you for the water if they are not prepared to provide the service to your lot?

al cole'holic
07-11-2003, 08:10 AM
..you need more than a plumber dog. frown

01RENEGADE
07-11-2003, 09:02 AM
That sucks now they will have to shut down the main line in order to connect to the main to go up the street far enough to reach your house.I cant beleive that they would let a contractor do this without a inspector being present.When they shut down the main they will be putting more homes out of water until they connect your run.Or they might supply a bypass so that other homes are not effected.Sounds like a pretty big job but still not that hard.To bad its not a tract home most all that stuff is allready in the ground.Are you on a sewer line or septic? because I read that Havasu will be installing a gravity sewer in town and doing away with all septic because of water contamination at the lake.If this is the case you might want to have them install a sewer latteral on you property when they do the water line so its ready when they install the main sewer

Seadog
07-11-2003, 09:21 AM
A contractor does not need shut the water line down to make the connection, nor does the street need to be torn up. I am suprised that the water dept would allow someone else to run the line to the property. The general rule is that a meter is installed on your property. Do not allow the meter to be installed anywhere else or it will bite you hard in the future.
The utilitiy is responsible for everything to the meter. Past the meter is your responsibility. In most cases, PolyEthylene (PE) pipe is the best for the job. It needs to be in a packed sand bed to prevent damage from rock abrasion.
Any pipe laid on any property other than your own requires an easement. The easement may preexist. You need to check the records to find out. If a line is not in an easement, then you can be force to relocate the line at the desire of the property owner where it runs, including the state/county/town. If you arein an easement, then any relocation is on the party desiring the relocation.
[ July 11, 2003, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Seadog ]

01RENEGADE
07-11-2003, 12:48 PM
Dont use plastic pipe we pull new services all day to replace leaky plastic.We use copper pipe alot less likley to leak. Sea dog I think he is saying he dosent have the main line far enough up the street to connect to his service nor does he have a service yet.If thats the case they will need to have the mainline go further up the street and than a service line connected to the main and yes you do have to have a trench dug in the street for the main it is not at grade level.It goes like this Main water line in the street,from the main you have a service to the meter 5/8 or 3/4 usually with a customer valve or angle stop at the meter so the water dept can shut you off if you dont pay the bill.From thier you have a service that enters your home with a pressure regulator.

Seadog
07-11-2003, 02:31 PM
Any road crossings except gravel are better served by directional boring. There is a big difference between PVC and PE, but any good plastic pipe that is installed properly will last. The only exception is older PVC in soils that have a petroleum contamination. These have been off market for over a decade.
I understood that there needs to be an extension of the main. My point is don't put the meter on anyone else's property and cover your tail on the right-of-away. My SIL is fighting major headaches because the previous owner put the meter in a field 3-400 ft from their property. Later, a salvage yard moved in and they have spent $3000 on water loss from broken lines where heavy equipment has been driven over the lines. The last break occurred under an area that the salvage yard blacktopped. I am helping her now with negotiations with the city to relocate the line.
When I built my house twenty years ago, I ran copper for all the in-house plumbing. I ran PVC for in-ground service. Both have done great with no leaks. I have no problems with copper, but under equal conditions, PE will generally last longer with less problems. We are looking at replacing copper in several buildings because aggresive water is eroding the solder. We have been examining PLEX for some applications. We also have gone almost exclusively to C-900 and PE for all mains.
The main rules is get the meter on your property and don't skimp on doing the trench work right.

01RENEGADE
07-11-2003, 03:29 PM
I will agree c-900 is very good I have just never heard of a meter being so far from the house but i quess out here just about all homes are tract homes and the meter is very close and always on the property except for condos