PDA

View Full Version : Appreciation for The BoatCops

Trailer Park Casanova
07-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Was it last year,,, or the year before,, I can't remember,, but we were floating down river chatting boat to boat with the La Paz county Sheriffs when around one of the bends of the Colorado river, some guys in a power boat were chaseing a Jet Ski,, angry as hell furiously trying to run him over.
It was frightning ,,, scary as hell as these two dueled on the river trying to kill each other amongst families floating on tubes,,, kids jumping off family boats & swimming in the middle of all this, while floating down stream, engines off.
"Wheres a cop when ya need one"; they were right there with us and saw the whole frightning episode, apprehended the A holes,, hooked them up,, and hauled them off.
We were at a Campbell Regatta when those ridiculous water balloon launchers were the fad.
A girl in another boat got hit in the face and lost her eye ( her eye exploded like crushing a grape) from a balloon shot from the beach. The cops were landed and had the A holes hooked up before we we knew what happended,,,(the boats name: "In The Red", a Red Campbell, ask the owner Mike about this incident).
At the Headgate/Bluewater sand bar, a girl stepped on a broken bottle,, unbeliveable amount of blood streaming from her foot. A major blood line severed, she went into shock. The boatcops swooped her up, gave her first aid, and off to the hospital she went.
A holes that come in to that no wake zone with kids swimming all over the place at 60 mph,, usually hooked up and hauled off too.
My brother is a cop,,, and walking into the Inn one day we were confronted by Captain Jack and Tennessee Dave. Two complete ****balls my brother & his partner had arrested the year before. Within seconds fists were flying, and I lost a Motorolla 700 cellphone that I cracked over Captain Jacks head.
We were camped at Echo Lodge when two rival campsites broke out into a huge brawl. Another water balloon launcher incident. I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to wade into that mess and break it up. Innocent people & families were being brutally attacked,, it was ugly.
The boat cops landed and swung with the bad guys. Some of the cops ended up needing stiches and dental work,,, but the melee was stopped. The bad guys hooked up and hauled off.
How would you feel about needing stiches and dental work???
I appreciate the work they do. I could go on and on with stories.
I know alot of you may chime in and bust my balls for this post,,, but the cops can't be everyplace all the time. They witness the legal system let a lot of the ugly bad guys go,,,,
The whole world looks like a garbage heap to them.
[ July 09, 2003, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

DickDanger
07-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Nope, you will get no ball breaking from me. Although I find them to overstep their boundaries sometimes, I appreciate that they are out there, trying to make things safer for those of us that dont appreciate gang activity on the river, or stupid asses on PWC's, or anything else that pisses me off. I give nothing but props to the cops on the lakes and rivers. -DD Out

OutCole'd
07-07-2003, 08:43 PM
TPC, I could not agree with you more. Well said.

HighRoller
07-07-2003, 08:47 PM
I have a similar comment to yours Cas.I have heard a lot of crap on here about the CHP and ways to get out of tickets that were rightly deserved.As a professional driver I have had the opportunity to talk with traffic and CVSA officers.Imagine just tryin to do your job like these guys and being treated like crap for stopping someone.Everytime these guys stop someone they put their life on the line.In return,certain people on here have advocated invoking some loophole to squirm out of a ticket like a weasel.When I asked an officer about traffic stops he gave me some sage advice.IF you get stopped,pay attention to the first question he asks.That question is your chance to get a warning if you don't bullshit him.These people who think they're being slick by being deceitful are only screwing themselves.Have respect for the man and his job,tell him the truth and cooperate without attitude.If he sees you as remorseful and honest he'll most likely show a bit of mercy and give you a break.If you DO get the ticket BE A MAN and accept the responsibility.These guys aren't out to treat you like a prick,they only act a certain way in accordance with how people treat them ALL day every day.They are just doing their job.

RotorHead
07-07-2003, 09:36 PM
Absolutly, they can not be everywhere all the time. What I do disagree with is the opinion that a guy should just sit back and wait for the government to come along, when not present, and protect. A man should be able to protect his family and property on his own if need be.

Seadog
07-08-2003, 05:47 AM
I have gotten out of more tickets by showing respect and accepting when I was in the wrong. it works a lot better than trying to be sneaky.

Ziggy
07-08-2003, 01:30 PM
Well said TPC,
100% accurate. They do the best they humanly can do(and then some too). I have a few friends in law inforcement and they've said the same to me--just be polite and answer the questions HONESTLY. I have gotten warnings for things I should have been ticketed for, just because I said yes sir, thank you sir, I agree sir, have a safe day sir(that one they really like!).
I've said the same before on another thread, treat them the way you would expect to be treated yourself....jerkoff replies warrant a kneejerk ticket.
These folks put their lives on the line every day for us punks, a little respect for them isn't much to ask.

Super D
07-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Police aren't always there to help out - that's why good citizens need to help each other out (not vigilante, just helping your fellow man).
My last few pullovers were dismissed when I honestly stated "I'm sorry. I misjudged my speed, the light, etc."
Couldn't agree more!

Mr.Havasu
07-08-2003, 03:21 PM
I'm sorry, I just don't agree with most of these posts. It seems to me that cops have become mostly tax collectors. It's all about the revenue. I can think of several times when the police have been called to help someone and ended up harassing the victim. If I have my choice I will call a friend,neighbor whoever before I'll ever call a cop. Just my opinion.
[ July 08, 2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: warlock25 ]

Ziggy
07-08-2003, 04:06 PM
warlock25:
I'm sorry, I just don't agree with most of these posts. It seems to me that cops have become mostly tax collectors. It's all about the revenue. I can think of several times when the police have been called to help someone and ended up harassing the victim. If I have my choice I will call a friend,neighbor whoever before I'll ever call a cop. Just my opinion. Thats Ok, you're entitled to your opinion like the rest of us :D ....but I do agree with you on one thing(seen it happen too) and thats when they've been called to help someone(victim) and then become the police's victim. In this case it probably was right because the guy was just a F'd up as the assailant(who also got cuffed). The "Victim" got a disorderly public conduct charge. Live and learn.
BTW--hows your 28' coming along? Is it ready and running the lake yet? Hope its all good for you guys. wink

HighRoller
07-08-2003, 04:21 PM
A couple more points about how to get out of being ticketed without cheating.Make sure your license,registration and proof of insurance are easy to access and hand them over without question or comment when asked.This shows you have nothing to hide.I've found in my business,this goes a long way because when I'm asked to produce documents,I have to get out 2 registrations,fuel tax agreement,license,logbook,bill of lading,operating authority and other things if asked.I have them all organized and can have everything displayed to the officer within seconds.Nothing irks an officer more than having someone search endlessly for these things and make excuses.
Finally,I've learned that having a clean driving record is the biggest way to get out of a ticket.Most people have something,no matter how minor,on their records that shows up on an NCIC or traffic check.My record is perfect,nothing showing,and I've had my stuff handed back to me without question more times than I can recall immediately after the NCIC check.If you can show the guy you're responsible you take another step towards not deserving a ticket in his mind.And yes,saying"be safe out there officer"is the perfect topper after getting a warning!!

Trailer Park Casanova
07-08-2003, 10:29 PM
We get checked by the cops when we head outta Katherines,, and from time to time at Castaic.
I don't know if any of you remember the video taken in the Inland Water Way in Florida, and shown on the nightly news a few years back.
A couple was dining dockside and taped on their video camera, a guy and his family on a Chapparell type deck boat.
The deck boat hit the dock, and the front of the deckboat suffered damage. The operator of the deckboat then backed away from the dock, then put the deckboat into foward. The boat took on water,, and submerged like a submarine and within 20 to 30 seconds the boat was gone.
In the short time the Police and FD arrived:
Two kids, a grandparent, the operator of the deckboat and another passenger went down with the deckboat & drowned within minutes.
No lifevests on the boat at all, or any passengers. The boats driver/owner a marginal swimmer,, the rest of the passengers could not swim at all.,,, no precautions, nothing.
A really bizarre tape shot from no more that 100 feet away.
Makes a believer out of you.
When we go to Castaic,,, I read the signs,, I sign the clipboard,, I know Alcohol is banned from the lake.
If I get caught,, I knew better and I'm willing to take the consequences.
I know I'm violating the rules,, it isn't the cops fault,, blame whoever passed the law.
I've been damn lucky so far,,, damn lucky.
[ July 08, 2003, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

HighRoller
07-08-2003, 10:42 PM
I disagree that luck has anything to do with surviving on the water.It all has to do with common sense.Why in the world would you go boating if you can't swim well??As captain of a boat you need to make sure you are prepared and so are your passengers.And how could some A-hole film you sinking from 100 feet and not do a damn thing?????

Trailer Park Casanova
07-08-2003, 10:54 PM
HighRoller:
I disagree that luck has anything to do with surviving on the water.It all has to do with common sense.Why in the world would you go boating if you can't swim well??As captain of a boat you need to make sure you are prepared and so are your passengers.And how could some A-hole film you sinking from 100 feet and not do a damn thing????? I'm not defending the witnesses,, but the whole incident happened in seconds,, and the Elderly couple said it happened so fast ect ect,,,
That's the point,,, they're dumf*cks out there un prepaired.
Thats why they have the equipment checks.
You've been to Roadrunner when one of them motors up and uses twine for dock rope,,,, you can look right into his boat and see no lifevests,, and no stowage spot where they might be,,
The worlds full of them,,

Seadog
07-09-2003, 06:01 AM
I am not going to defend bad cops, because they ned to be gone, but the majority of cops are just doing their jobs. Restrictive lawsuites and too many people with the attitude that they are above the law, are going to get to even the best cops.
A guy here was telling me yesterday that his brother in CA was murdered and the cops called it suicide even tho two shots were fired ten minutes apart and nobody was checked for powder residue. I wasn't there, so I cannot know the full facts, but it does sound like poor work. The question is, if we kept the bullshit level down by reducing the number of DUIs, speeding, reckless, etc., maybe that would free more cops for the important things? We as citizens need to be more proactive in making things safer. We need to show the kids that drinking and smoking are not cool. That making an honest living and raising a family is more important than how many ho's you can nail.

Mr.Havasu
07-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Ziggy:
warlock25:
I'm sorry, I just don't agree with most of these posts. It seems to me that cops have become mostly tax collectors. It's all about the revenue. I can think of several times when the police have been called to help someone and ended up harassing the victim. If I have my choice I will call a friend,neighbor whoever before I'll ever call a cop. Just my opinion. Thats Ok, you're entitled to your opinion like the rest of us :D ....but I do agree with you on one thing(seen it happen too) and thats when they've been called to help someone(victim) and then become the police's victim. In this case it probably was right because the guy was just a F'd up as the assailant(who also got cuffed). The "Victim" got a disorderly public conduct charge. Live and learn.
How about this one..
My daughter was rear ended at night in a residential neighborhood while driving her late model corvette.
She called me 300 miles away and asked what she should do. She was afraid to get out of the car being alone at night in a dark area. I told her don't get out of the car and call the police(Big mistake)
The police come and ticket her for not having a current ins. card. (She had current ins. just didn't have the right card on her)
O.K. now she has to go to court to prove she had insurance( No big deal, just loose a day of work and pay, Right?) Wrong! She shows up in court with the right card proving she had insurance at the time of the accident and still was fined $300.00 for not havcing the right card on her at the time of the accident.(Got to love Calif. laws)
And here is the kicker... Of course the guy who hit her didn't have insurance, so her ins. company paid for the repairs of her corvette and charged her the $500.00 deductable and closed the claim.
BTW--hows your 28' coming along? Is it ready and running the lake yet? Hope its all good for you guys. wink
Backed the 28 down the ramp and let both engines run on Monday while fine tuning. Had a pretty good leak from one of the oil pans so we pulled the one motor out yesterday and replaced the gasket. Should be water testing her again today or tomorrow. I think we will be running by this weekend finally. :rolleyes: