PDA

View Full Version : another ramp mishap

Havasu Doug
04-30-2003, 06:51 PM
We had another cool Mid-week liars club get together at Lake Perris. That is until we heard a loud crash from the ramp................................... eek!
http://www.havasudoug.com/images/posts/rampmishap1.jpg
http://www.havasudoug.com/images/posts/rampmishap2.jpg

Kilrtoy
04-30-2003, 06:53 PM
ANother story of "I HAVE MONEY AND I WANT BOAT"
DOn't know what to do but I can afford it.....

woodster
04-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Damn that sucks eek!

HOSS
04-30-2003, 06:55 PM
OOOOOOWWWWW! That`s gotta hurt. cry

Sandbar Junkies
I remember the first day I launched a boat. :D

hoolign
ooops :D

JetBoatRich
04-30-2003, 06:56 PM
That sucks, you would think they give them a book how to launch. Maybe even with pictures :mad:

Kilrtoy
04-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Sanbarjunkies sent you a PM

Tom Brown
04-30-2003, 06:57 PM
That's nasty. I wonder how badly those outdrives are hammered?

Jrocket
04-30-2003, 06:59 PM
Sometimes people get into too much of a hurry and forget their common sense....it an expensive way to live!!! frown

Havasu Doug
04-30-2003, 07:02 PM
Tom Brown:
That's nasty. I wonder how badly those outdrives are hammered? It has a single drive and I'm not sure if it contacted the ramp. I don't know what damage the transom received, but noticed that the first step got damaged. 87 Cole crawled underneath it to check it out.

rivernutts
04-30-2003, 07:06 PM
Waterrod? Looks like they launch about as good as they build boats!!! :p

Mandelon
04-30-2003, 07:26 PM
How is anybody that dopey to do such a dumbass thing as that?? Gravity is not hard to understand. Kinetic energy......a little harder maybe but if you can afford a big boat you gotta have something in your head.....but sheesh, who unhooks the bow line before getting it in the water? Anyone????? Goddamn, that's lame!

DickDanger
04-30-2003, 07:28 PM
I was drying my boat off, just on the other side of this, and heard the crash. I thought that it was someone unhitching their trailer, and dropping it on the ground, cos it was LOUD!!!! Can you believe that shit? Had another good time today, although it could have been a little warmer. I snapped a few pics that I will post a little later. -DD Out

JetBoatRich
04-30-2003, 07:31 PM
How did they get it back on?

mbrown2
04-30-2003, 07:33 PM
That is the best stance I have seen from a Water Rod...normally they are plowing the water; at least the front's getting lift eek! :)

mbrown2
04-30-2003, 07:35 PM
I just love the hands on the head pose from the guy in the boat...It says to me "I hope my wife called the Insurance company since we picked up the new boat today". :)

Havasu Doug
04-30-2003, 07:36 PM
JetBoatRich:
How did they get it back on? They had around 5 guys in their crew. One slowly backed in while one winched and two guys hung on the bow. I didn't hear any scraping while they did this, but it may have a little.

Sandbar Junkies
04-30-2003, 07:37 PM
Sanbarjunkies sent you a PM Hey Kilrtoy! Didn't receive your PM. :confused:

Havasu Doug
04-30-2003, 07:38 PM
mbrown2:
I just love the hands on the head pose from the guy in the boat...It says to me "I hope my wife called the Insurance company since we picked up the new boat today". :) Yeah, I like it too. I actually took around 5 pics, but I selected that one because of the hands on head.

Jrocket
04-30-2003, 07:39 PM
mbrown2:
I just love the hands on the head pose from the guy in the boat...It says to me "I hope my wife called the Insurance company since we picked up the new boat today". :) It says to me "Hey,why did my 5500lb boat with smooth fiberglass bottom slide off my soft smooth carpeted trailer bunks on this steep inclined boat ramp"? cry

Havasu Doug
04-30-2003, 07:39 PM
DickDanger:
I was drying my boat off, just on the other side of this, and heard the crash. I thought that it was someone unhitching their trailer, and dropping it on the ground, cos it was LOUD!!!! Can you believe that shit? Had another good time today, although it could have been a little warmer. I snapped a few pics that I will post a little later. -DD Out Yeah, it was loud! DD was actually at the next ramp over when he heard it!

JetBoatRich
04-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Havasu Doug:
JetBoatRich:
How did they get it back on? They had around 5 guys in their crew. One slowly backed in while one winched and two guys hung on the bow. I didn't hear any scraping while they did this, but it may have a little. Doug, sounds like they had practice at this frown

mbrown2
04-30-2003, 07:49 PM
They probably launched an Aftershock cat last time.

Jrocket
04-30-2003, 07:49 PM
Were they there 3 months ago in a Aftershock by chance? :D

SCUBA STEVE
04-30-2003, 07:50 PM
oh sh*t, I remember my first launch & retrieval at perris what an adventure that day was.

JetBoatRich
04-30-2003, 07:52 PM
What happened Steve, or should we not ask :o
[ April 30, 2003, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: JetBoatRich ]

Kilrtoy
04-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Sandbar junkies,
Tried again I dont know if it goes to your PM or if it is on HB mail....If you dont get it email me and I'll reply

mbrown2
04-30-2003, 07:57 PM
Steve, what happended?
Hell, Launching in currents always makes for a fun day...
Two weeks ago, my sister took ownership of a 2003 Nordic Sprint 22, she and her hubby are new boaters so I took it off...When we were ready to leave I was already washing my boat, so she asked our brother to put it back on....And I will let him drive any of my boats...but he was new to the offshore controls..anyway he accellerated into a nice concrete sea wall to take a nice gouge out of the Gel Coat Flames...Nice way to break in a day old boat. :)
[ April 30, 2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

DEEZ NUTTS
04-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Talk of the first day, and manuals got me thinking. I had been to the lake many times with friends before buying my own boat, so I felt good about it.
I bought my first and current boat from Keith when he was at the Boat Brokers. He took my wife and I out, went through a few of the basics then taught her to put it back on the trailer. Saved a potential argument between she and I. I'm still greatful.
[ April 30, 2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: DEEZ NUTTS ]

playdeep
04-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Was Scooby around? (B&H water rod co. owner)
I would love to hear the spin he puts on this fiasco...

RiverToysJas
04-30-2003, 08:09 PM
I haven't seen ramp issues that bad since......last time I went to Perris!!! :D
[ April 30, 2003, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

Kilrtoy
04-30-2003, 08:11 PM
I haven't seen a ramps issues that bad since......last time I went to Perris!!!
The ramp wasnt the issue it was where the water wasnt.......

mbrown2
04-30-2003, 08:12 PM
RiverToysJas:
I haven't seen a ramps issues that bad since......last time I went to Perris!!! :D :) :D :)

RiverToysJas
04-30-2003, 08:16 PM
Water level is dropping fast out here in Ca.
(I know I used that one last time too, but it works) wink
RTJas :D

JetBoatRich
04-30-2003, 08:37 PM
RiverToysJas:
Water level is dropping fast out here in Ca.
(I know I used that one last time too, but it works) wink
RTJas :D So your saying it drops right out from under you eek!

JustMVG
04-30-2003, 09:40 PM
What is it about Perris launch ramps and cats, this is the second one i've seen and looks exactly like the AfterShock demo we watched. Those ramps are deceiving they look innocent but have a gravity storm as soon as the tie downs come off. Thanks for the pics Doug.
MVG

mbrown2
04-30-2003, 09:46 PM
As a cat owner once taught me, once you are ready to her down, unclip the back strap, back her down, once she is floating is the only time to unclip the front strap.. :)
It is easy to play armchair quarterback, it is possible these guys knew what they were doing but it was just a mistake that turned out bad.

Havasu Doug
04-30-2003, 09:53 PM
I don't have a winch on my trailer so I haven't used one. Is is possible that it was still hooked up but accidently set to release? Is there a "free wheel" setting on most winches?

Seadog
05-01-2003, 05:38 AM
I can't tell from the pictures if the winch was hooked up before or not, but it is almost impossible to set a standard winch to free wheel by accident.

JetBoatRich
05-01-2003, 05:56 AM
Mine can "FREE WHEEL" but you have to do it. Somebody thought they were helping out :mad:

SCUBA STEVE
05-01-2003, 08:06 AM
JetboatRich & Mbrown2, I was trying to launch & retrieve w/o getting wet. I went to elsinore couple of times, and did it with no problems. Perris is a different beast. Jet boats are a pain when it comes to retrieving. I was drifting all over the place once I killed to engine, went in side ways on the trailer, paniced because there were other boats on the side of me. I started it up & the "scooper" (I dont know the exact term) got caught on one of the trailer bunkers and I ripped that thing off the trailer! No damage to the boat though. But I did have some fender damage to the trailer. When I launched that same day, for some reason I couldnt get the bow line off? The winch was acting like a lil bitch with me. We live and we learn sometimes the hard way. Now I get wet everytime, launching & retrieving. :D

MJ19
05-01-2003, 09:38 AM
OUCH!!! :(
Hast Makes Waste! :)

Mr.Havasu
05-01-2003, 10:21 AM
O.K. call me a lame ass but..I have always unhooked everything and backed down the ramp. Never experienced any slipping. After the last picture of the after shock was posted I started thinking maybe I better leave the front hooked up while backing down.
But I forgot about it and fell back into my old habits. After seeing this happen for a second time I'm convinced I need to start new habits. I would hate to see my cat in that position. That totally sucks, feel sorry for the owner.

Mandelon
05-01-2003, 10:26 AM
I don't unhook till the boat floats......and it fires up and is running.
I guess maybe some can't reach the clip without getting wet???? Is that why you'd do it in advance?
I guess I can see it could be OK to unhook in advance on a really shallow ramp. But a steeper ramp and one tap on the brakes while backing down could turn out pretty bad. frown

SCUBA STEVE
05-01-2003, 10:32 AM
I unhooked b4 backing down the ramp at elsinore. But I wont do it at havasu marina or at perris.
Now that I think about it, I will probably never unhook again, until the boat is floating. :D

Jrocket
05-01-2003, 10:36 AM
My problem is I usually forget to unhook the bow and try to pull the boat,truck and trailer out to the sand bar with me!!! Oh well,what can ya do.. :D

Hermosa
05-01-2003, 10:37 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SCUBA STEVE:
[QB] JetboatRich & Mbrown2, I was trying to launch & retrieve w/o getting wet. I went to elsinore couple of times, and did it with no problems.
I can see you not wanting to get into Lake Elsinore, infection just waiting to happen. ; )
[ May 01, 2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Hermosa ]

Hermosa
05-01-2003, 10:38 AM
Havasu Doug:
We had another cool Mid-week liars club get together at Lake Perris. That is until we heard a loud crash from the ramp................................... eek!
http://www.havasudoug.com/images/posts/rampmishap2.jpg Is this a different boat than the one that did this a month ago??

superV
05-01-2003, 11:17 AM
F'ing LAKE HOG dragging its ass!I hear thats how they ride in the water too. :rolleyes:

78Eliminator
05-01-2003, 11:31 AM
You know what they say:
The bigger the boat, the smaller the penis....

Jbb
05-01-2003, 11:46 AM
http://www.ehowa.com/sidepics/pantsongeo.jpg

BowTie Rick
05-01-2003, 11:49 AM
Hermosa:
Havasu Doug:
http://www.havasudoug.com/images/posts/rampmishap2.jpg Is this a different boat than the one that did this a month ago?? Here is the one from a few months ago...
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/dsc_1591.JPG
I agree with Mike VG, there is a hidden gravitational force field just off the ramp eek! :D
Seriously, that must suck to have happen to you. Since my motor is out right now and I have the boating itch real bad, I may just go out there this weekend to watch the ramps. Could be entertaining. :p

beer hunter
05-01-2003, 12:16 PM
I believe it was the salesman's fault with the first boat ie "a few months ago" :confused: If he was involved with the latest dropping I doubt he could get a job selling popcorn at the local movie theater :rolleyes:
[ May 01, 2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: beer hunter ]

Havasu_Dreamin
05-01-2003, 12:34 PM
Am I the only one that thinks those two boats look VERY similar?

hboldno7
05-01-2003, 12:36 PM
Damn, those Hulls look alot alike

Havasu Doug
05-01-2003, 12:43 PM
I kind of expected that someone involved would have joined the thread by now like the time it happened with the Aftershock.

miller19j
05-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Havasu Doug:
I kind of expected that someone involved would have joined the thread by now like the time it happened with the Aftershock. Maybe itÂ’s the same person and he traded that aftershock in for this water rod wink :D

mbrown2
05-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Hermosa:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Havasu Doug:
[qb] Is this a different boat than the one that did this a month ago?? Yes, the last boat was an aftershock; this one is a B&H Water Rod.

Robbie Racer
05-01-2003, 01:09 PM
Did it happen when they were launching it or when they were pulling it out of the water? I would think that it would slide off the trailer easier if the bottom of the boat and the trailer bunks were wet (if the winch ratchet wasn't locked correctly).

Havasu Doug
05-01-2003, 01:12 PM
Robbie Racer:
Did it happen when they were launching it or when they were pulling it out of the water? I would think that it would slide off the trailer easier if the bottom of the boat and the trailer bunks were wet (if the winch ratchet wasn't locked correctly). It was during launch. My understanding is that it was the maiden launch too. There were a bunch of techs there helping out.

beer hunter
05-01-2003, 01:18 PM
mbrown2:
Hermosa:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Havasu Doug:
[qb] Is this a different boat than the one that did this a month ago?? Yes, the last boat was an aftershock; this one is a B&H Water Rod. It sure looks like an Aftershock hull :)

rivernutts
05-01-2003, 01:21 PM
F*cking Brillant, I tell you!!!! Sometimes you gotta wonder aftershock is now making carrera what a waste of a great name!!! By the way The ad in the boattrader: 29' carrera cat for $59,995, what's it held together by super glue? :rolleyes:

HalletDave
05-01-2003, 01:24 PM
Doug, that is funny.
There were a bunch of techs there helping out.
HD

SCUBA STEVE
05-01-2003, 01:34 PM
I Remember being at Aftershock when that happened. I didnt ask any questions though. I believe that was actaully in FEB? Unless there was another incident. I think that was the same day I had issues at perris.
Perris must have it in for Aftershock boats. frown

Havasu_Jet_85
05-01-2003, 01:38 PM
Kilrtoy:
ANother story of "I HAVE MONEY AND I WANT BOAT"
DOn't know what to do but I can afford it..... Couldnt have said it better

SCUBA STEVE
05-01-2003, 01:39 PM
rivernutts:
F*cking Brillant, I tell you!!!! Sometimes you gotta wonder aftershock is now making carrera what a waste of a great name!!! By the way The ad in the boattrader: 29' carrera cat for $59,995, what's it held together by super glue? :rolleyes: Not all of us can afford eliminators, nordics, or hallets. I am happy with my boat, as a first time new boat owner, I feel I got a good deal and a good boat. Alex & Paul are doing a great job over there, always willing to chit chat w/me even though they already have my $. I'll take customer service over a top name boat anytime. RIVERNUTS you being a store owner should know, the price advertised is just to get customers in the door.
[ May 01, 2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: SCUBA STEVE ]

Avenger 1975
05-01-2003, 01:40 PM
A few years ago I met a guy to test drive his 19' Checkmate on a river. He asked if I wanted to back up the truck or launch the boat. Since I figure the owner of the boat knows his trailer, tie-downs, winch, etc. I said I would back the truck. Little did I know the guy unhooked the winch on a very steep ramp. I barely touched the brakes and the boat started to slide, down it went though not too hard, I braked slowly to kind of "catch" it rather than make it slide faster. Anyway, we bulled it back on, launched with no apparent damage. The guy said he usually didn't lauch it, his brother or friends did, oh well.

rivernutts
05-01-2003, 01:57 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
rivernutts:
F*cking Brillant, I tell you!!!! Sometimes you gotta wonder aftershock is now making carrera what a waste of a great name!!! By the way The ad in the boattrader: 29' carrera cat for $59,995, what's it held together by super glue? :rolleyes: Not all of us can afford eliminators, nordics, or hallets. I am happy with my boat, as a first time new boat owner, I feel I got a good deal and a good boat. Alex & Paul are doing a great job over there, always willing to chit chat w/me even though they already have my $. I'll take customer service over a top name boat anytime. RIVERNUTS you being a store owner should know, the price advertised is just to get customers in the door. Just ruffling some feathers it started to get kind of boring arouind here!! :D

SCUBA STEVE
05-01-2003, 02:01 PM
Yeah I kind of figured that. But I had to defend my boat maker anyway. :D

rivernutts
05-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Any boat that floats is better than the one I have right now!!!!!

bordsmnj
05-01-2003, 03:25 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
rivernutts:
F*cking Brillant, I tell you!!!! Sometimes you gotta wonder aftershock is now making carrera what a waste of a great name!!! By the way The ad in the boattrader: 29' carrera cat for $59,995, what's it held together by super glue? :rolleyes: Not all of us can afford eliminators, nordics, or hallets. I am happy with my boat, as a first time new boat owner, I feel I got a good deal and a good boat. Alex & Paul are doing a great job over there, always willing to chit chat w/me even though they already have my $. I'll take customer service over a top name boat anytime. RIVERNUTS you being a store owner should know, the price advertised is just to get customers in the door. yeah, i have to second that. they did a kickass job on my boat and i was there signing a purchasing agreement the day that happend out at peris. Aftershock offered to replace the entire boat-no charge. a week later i seen the boat out at peris again prop testing and there wasn't any damage that i could tell(i looked)and the owners seemed happy.Dennis of carrera is still around and is another guy i wouldn't have a problem doing business with at all. He even gave me a ride in the new 29 cat(and i'm not a potential customer -no money) three weeks ago at(***boat mag. test) havasu. I bought an aftershock cuase i got a killer deal on a nice ride and didn't have to deal with the arogance and the bullshit i found at other companies- Period. :p

SCUBA STEVE
05-01-2003, 04:07 PM
rivernutts:
Any boat that floats is better than the one I have right now!!!!! why no boat, did I miss the story?

rivernutts
05-01-2003, 04:56 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
rivernutts:
Any boat that floats is better than the one I have right now!!!!! why no boat, did I miss the story? Hopefully gonna sign the dotted line on are first house this weekend :D . We sold our scarab in july and were in the process of buying a 26-28 foot cat about two months ago(la show) and decided to go with the 28 daytona and then charley hooked me up with dave at dcb and we were going to switch to the f26 (great boat). A day before we planned to go put a deposit on it we saw a sign for some new homes that were going to be built in our neck of the woods and everything kind of switched to that! cry But I know a home is a much better investment right now and I finally got my wife into the home buying mood, so thats the story!! Maybe we can hitch a ride on your aftershock :D

SCUBA STEVE
05-01-2003, 06:16 PM
you can come aboard anytime. yeah buying a house is a good thing, just make sure it has boat parking :D Letting go of the boat was probably hard. but once the new house gets out of the way, Im sure the next thing on the list will be the new boat.

JustMVG
05-01-2003, 06:24 PM
Anyone see the Aftershock on the cover of the new TRUCKI' Magazine media whores i say, more power to 'em.
Rick you wanna go boatin just let me know i need to get out. See ya MVG

JustMVG
05-01-2003, 06:24 PM
OOOPS TRUCKIN' Magazine

SCUBA STEVE
05-01-2003, 06:27 PM
no way what boat is on there? I bet their violater.

Wheeler
04-17-2014, 06:14 PM
You know what they say ...

Yes we do ...