PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone's on the Parker Strip

Beautiful Noise
04-23-2003, 07:09 AM
I know this has been asked before so here we go again.....I'm trying to figure out which Wireless Company has the BEST service from Blythe,Along the Parker Strip and Up to Laughlin.I have Cingular right now and I lose Signal about 5 mile's from Parker and I don't get it back till Havasu.
Thank's
Steve

mbrown2
04-23-2003, 07:35 AM
The best Cell Phone coverage I have found in Parker is AT&T, and I have tried Nextahell, Sprint, Verizon, and Cingular...AT&T is the only thing that will work up by the Dam, since they have an Antennae on the mountain just north of the dam.

SCUBA STEVE
04-23-2003, 07:44 AM
I have AT&T, I used to have no signal in havasu, still dont on the water, but the city is fine now. Last year I had on & off signal in parker, mostly off. I'll be up there this weekend to see if things changed, last I heard they were upgrading their satellite signals.

Beautiful Noise
04-23-2003, 08:02 AM
Thank's mbrown,Scuba Steve,Let me know I spend most of my time on the Parker Strip at Castlerock and I've heard from people that they can get service up by the Road but not down at the Water I'm ready to Switch Wireless Company's.
Steve

boatnam2
04-23-2003, 08:13 AM
at@t we have cingular and sprint and got at@t just for the river

SCUBA STEVE
04-23-2003, 08:17 AM
No problem, just give me a reminder p/m or something on Monday. Some other friends will be with us and I'll see what carriers they have and I'll see what type of signal they are getting.

FASTERDAMITT
04-23-2003, 08:24 AM
T-Mobile here. Works good on the lake but intermitently on the river.

Beautiful Noise
04-23-2003, 08:32 AM
boatnam2:
at@t we have cingular and sprint and got at@t just for the river Boatnam2,So your AT&T work's good on the Parker Strip? All the time or Off & On.I get tried of making trip's to the Payphone,Specially when I have a CELL PHONE that doesn't have any Service :(
Thank's
Steve

mbrown2
04-23-2003, 08:43 AM
Our AT&T Cell works along the strip on the water...about 90% of the time...driving along 95 on the strip, there are two blank spots we hit...90% was about 3-4 times better coverage than anything else we tried...In fact, I just got one of those new Blackberry Phones/Messaging devices with AT&T Cell service, and now I get work email while floating on the River...probably not a good thing to stay connected, but it is kind of nice to know what the hell is going on when I am on the river on a Friday or Monday.

Beautiful Noise
04-23-2003, 10:24 AM
mbrown2 :) ....Thanks for the help Everybody :D :D
Steve

Boatcop
04-23-2003, 11:30 AM
My Verizon works at most pllaces on the Strip. The only bad spots are where there's a cliff or mountain in the way.
FYI, don't use 911 to report emergencies on your cell phone in the Parker area. If you do, you could get San Bernardino SO, CHP, Yuma, or who knows who else.
If you need assistance forom police or medical call:
928-669-2281

Ziggy
04-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Verizon here too...don't really boat on Parker strip so don't know on the water but seem to have plenty of coverage on the 95(either)

DickDanger
04-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Alan, will we be seeing you anywhere near the OP6 party in June? -DD Out

missboatnam1
04-23-2003, 03:11 PM
yes, we get coverage 90% of the time on the strip, just a couple of places we dont......i did my resurch before we got one, we got tired of the payphones too...AT&T is the way to go!!

SCUBA STEVE
04-28-2003, 03:15 PM
MY AT&T SERVICE SUCKED IT UP IN PARKER. NOTHING 99% OF THE TIME. ON THE 62 NOTHING, IN PARKER THE BEST SIGNAL I GOT THE ENTIRE WEEKEND WAS 1 BAR. I HAVE A NOKIA 8390, MAYBE ITS OUT OF DATE ALREADY, I GOT IT ABOUT A YEAR AGO. :confused:

Beautiful Noise
04-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Thank's Scube Steve for the Up-Date,How about this next time you go get a new phone and let me know how your signal is wink Looks like I might be Leaning toward's Verizon,I know missboatnam said they get service about 90% with thier AT&T I guess it might be a toss up between the 2 :rolleyes: :)
Steve

Havasu Hangin'
04-28-2003, 05:24 PM
The solution is easy...don't go to Parker.
The cell sites are probably gettin' snaked by all the tweakers that followed the mbrown2 down there...

SCUBA STEVE
04-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Dam I just bought my phone last year. It seems like I will have to buy a new phone every week just to keep up. I have heard good things about verizon, but nothing about verizon at the river. I read in playboy a few months back that all the big cell company's were using the same satellites, that it doesnt really matter which carrier you use.
My main concern is having cell service on the 177/62/95 on my way to parker/havasu. I'll probably have to hike up one of the mountians to get any service if my truck breaks down. cry

SCUBA STEVE
04-28-2003, 05:36 PM
Havasu Hangin':
The solution is easy...don't go to Parker.
The cell sites are probably gettin' snaked by all the tweakers that followed the mbrown2 down there... You still have to drive past parker to get to havasu. The 15 to the 40 sucks.

SK48
04-28-2003, 06:10 PM
I've tried most of them, and I commute from Parker to Blythe everyday. For the past year I have been using Verizon with good results. AT&T didn't do very well below Parker going south.

Starloans
04-28-2003, 08:26 PM
Consumer Reports says Verizon is the best overall nationwide. They say no cell service is great. I'll try to post this page.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/438Cell_Phone3-med.jpg

Starloans
04-28-2003, 08:28 PM
Try this picture.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/438Cell_Phone3.jpg

Starloans
04-28-2003, 08:30 PM
****! That was a huge pic. Sorry. I can't seem to find the size in between with my scanner. I'm scanner challanged! :mad:

mbrown2
04-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Boy that's a big pic...Those Havasu Tweakers must have gotten hold of that pic. :)
Verizon and Sprint have good all around coverage, but they don't cover sh&t by the Dam, and that is where we have a place, so we have to use AT&T

EricU
04-29-2003, 03:05 PM
Cell carriers do not use satellites, they use cell sites. They do not use the same sites, (there are a few exceptions to this, some do piggy back in limited areas), though many use the same tower or building but run their own equipment, it's called co-location.
All the companies are constantly trying to deploy new sites and modify existing sites. It is a huge effort that is driven by both economics and politics. You wouldn't believe how many local planning commissions will not allow a new cell site in their community and then a month later blast the cell companies for not having coverage in their area.
I can tell you that one of the biggest roadblocks in getting better coverage in an area (that has enough people with phones!) is the local political community.
And by the way for people that are afraid of RF radiation, don't ever stand right in front of a cell carriers transmitting antenna, of course you would generally need to stand at least 20 to 30 feet in the air, or climb up a 100 to 300 foot tower. Oh yeah that’s illegal. And those same uneducated (about the subject) folks that spout out about RF radiation usually have color TVs, computer monitors and microwave ovens, which all put out more RF radiation than a cell phone.
Anyway to pick a carrier, do what you are doing and ask your buddies with that have different phone companies if they have signal WHERE you are going to be. All the companies have what we call "holes" in their coverage areas.
Eric

jimmieleeraybob
04-29-2003, 04:18 PM
I use AT&T...works all along the river and up into the lake. I was having trouble for awhile, but called tech and they solved the problem...haven't had a problem since!

Beautiful Noise
04-29-2003, 04:48 PM
Thank's..Jimmieleeraybob :)
Steve

mtndewdrops
04-29-2003, 05:49 PM
Can you hear me now????? wink
AT&T Regional Advantage has the best overall coverage. I have tried just about everybody else...Cingular's idea of coverage is the 4 way stop sign in Lake Havasu City burningm .
With AT&T I can call on Lake Havasu :cool: , Parker Strip and in Laughlin.
I don't recall the signal strength on Lake Mohave, but I don't spend much time there anymore...$15 for a 5 day pass SUCKS :mad: when you want to go to the Lake once of twice.

Beautiful Noise
06-03-2003, 03:19 PM
Thought I'd bounce this back to the Top,I'm getting ready to make the switch this week Thought(ouch) somebody else might want to see this encase they're thinking about switching :)
Steve

Havasubum
06-03-2003, 04:08 PM
i have sprint and usually always have service even made phone calls frpm the sandbar and other places