PDA

View Full Version : Send Grey Davis packing or keep him

Essex502
07-23-2003, 06:21 AM
Okay...time to get a straw vote:

eliminatedsprinter
07-23-2003, 09:02 AM
I put mine in. I can't imagine a Ca boater voting to keep him. Unless they are one of the few who worry that another dem who is worse than he is could take his place.
[ July 23, 2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: eliminatedsprinter ]

ROZ
07-23-2003, 09:17 AM
I firmly believe that this action will change the way California politicians on both sides of the fence continue to do business.....

MagicMtnDan
07-23-2003, 09:25 AM
ROZ:
I firmly believe that this action will change the way California politicians on both sides of the fence continue to do business..... I would like to think so but after that fiasco with the Democrats yesterday (plotting to stretch out the budget crisis in an effort to help their "cause") I have to wonder. Some things never change but I sure hope the people of CA wake up and stop voting only along party lines.

Waldo
07-23-2003, 09:35 AM
I am all for kicking him out - but what good is it going to do for the CA budget crisis???
Anyone that comes in can't just magically fix the problem. Besides, Davis isn't totally responsible for the crisis. Just curious and looking for feedback.

eliminatedsprinter
07-23-2003, 10:05 AM
Waldo:
I am all for kicking him out - but what good is it going to do for the CA budget crisis???
Anyone that comes in can't just magically fix the problem. Besides, Davis isn't totally responsible for the crisis. Just curious and looking for feedback. You are correct to a point. However, he is supposed to be his party's leader in this state. He has abdicated that role and has allowed the far left wing of the party to take over. For this alone he deserves to be recalled. When he ran for election (both times) he spent a ton of money painting his opponents as extremists and he specifically promised to "lead from the center". He has not lead at all (let alone from the center) and has handed control of the states majority party over to a handful of the most left leaning politicians ever to be elected to office in this Nation's history. Let's boot this liar out and send a message to the others, that there is a level of dishonesty and ineptitude that they may not cross without consquences to their careers.

Hallett19
07-23-2003, 10:16 AM
I think now that this guy is scared about loosing his job and knows everyone basically hates him, he could give a shit. Its like when you know you are loosing your job or you put in your 2 weeks you kind of give up, show up late, dont give a damn, etc.

roostwear
07-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Waldo:
Anyone that comes in can't just magically fix the problem. Besides, Davis isn't totally responsible for the crisis. Just curious and looking for feedback. Recalling Davis will do 2 things. Put the Democratic party on notice that their control is tenuous, and Davis will not be able to do any FURTHER damage.
Did Davis create the WHOLE crisis? Maybe not, but he created the MAJORITY of it, and in ANY damage control situation, you remove any potential for further damage. It doesn't help what is happening now, but is that a reason to keep him in a position of power? It's called cutting your losses......

schiada96
07-23-2003, 10:19 AM
If your the boss do you let things happen like yesterday without letting heads roll?

07-23-2003, 10:36 AM
Davis lied about the deficit when he was running for re-election and if he spent even half the time doing the job he was elected to do instead of fund raising he wouldn't be the subject of a recall. And he did let the far left run the state while he was raising campaign money. He and a whole lot of others need to go NOW! I would like to know how he and his ilk can raise state spending 75% in the last few years when inflation has been under 2% and less has been spent on roads and bridges. Our roads are in the worst shape ever. They started going in the toilet while Gov. Moonbeam was in office.

Essex502
07-23-2003, 01:32 PM
Either way as I see it Davis' political career is toast. How's he gonna' run for anything above dogcatcher after the recall election - win or lose.
[ July 23, 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Essex502 ]

ROZ
07-23-2003, 02:14 PM
Hallett19:
I Its like when you know you are loosing your job or you put in your 2 weeks you kind of give up, show up late, dont give a damn, etc. He has shortimers disease.....

spectratoad
07-23-2003, 02:17 PM
I don't even live there and I want him gone, just don't send him to Nevada. We carry guns here. :D

Freak
07-23-2003, 02:21 PM
Since it looks like he is going to get the boot. If I lived in your state my biggest concern would be who are we going to put into office. Which party he belongs to or if he is famous would not be my biggest issue. CA needs someone who is an accomplished businessman. Someone who is willing to be the bad guy in many person’s eyes. Because that is what it is going to take. There is no way around it and as I see it, it’s not going to be fun for anyone. He has to have the balls to cut state programs (that's right I said it - they can come back once the budget is balanced), manage big state projects, consolidate/close small state agencies and control end of fiscal year purchasing (just to spend the money) of state agencies. He has to aggressively persue income owed to the state and go after all federal grant money he can, plus a hundred other ways to save/get money. I am a republican. The current governor of VA is a democrat. He is also a accomplished business man who has done what I have stated above (VA had a deficit now we don’t). He does not take any shit from anyone else in his party or otherwise period. When the demos have meetings and start talking nonsense he gives them hell. Most of his party and some of the public that have felt the effects of cut programs is not happy with him, but he knows that is what he has to do. He is going to be fiscally responsible period. He is a hard ass and I’m impressed. Regardless of party that is what your state desperately needs.
[ July 23, 2003, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Freak ]

07-23-2003, 03:02 PM
I agree with you, Freak. I don't care if its a Demo. or a Repub. just as long as they understand the workings of business. They need to understand that raising taxes be it property, sales, excise or income tax drives business [and people] away. There are plenty of states that will welcome relocating businesses to set up shop there. Businesses mean jobs for locals, increase tax base and increase local $$$$ being spent. But when the govt. gets greedy and forces higher taxes on the local businesses to pay for silly porkbarrel programs they leave and we all know a business that doesn't exist anymore pay no taxes at all. Unfortunatly the people who run our state govt. think "better living thru bigger government" is best.

Dave C
07-23-2003, 03:35 PM
058 is right.
Cali has the highest taxes of any state in the country. And the solution they have in Sacramento is to raise them some more.
We are screwed because many citizens believe that is the right thing to do.

ROZ
07-23-2003, 03:45 PM
spectratoad:
I don't even live there and I want him gone, just don't send him to Nevada. We carry guns here. :D Yea, but you guys have your own budgetary problems....Something about the schools suing over budgetary something or another to establish taxes to pay for unnamed programs. And they won???

ROZ
07-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Dave C:
We are screwed because many citizens believe that is the right thing to do. What a vicious cycle, eh? Here's what could happen: Taxes go up and so does the amount of money to run the programs they fund. Hardly any of the tax money trickles down to actually keep the programs open because everyone wants a piece of the action. The public now realizes that the taxes are heavey and barely have any money left after the state has taken their share from various taxable sources, ie. milk, gas, property, liquor, cigarettes, additional school tax, etc...They now want to again increase taxes to help suppliment MORE programs because the last round of tax hikes didn't do what the politicians said they would do....I figure that in the year 2007 a family who currently brings home 110k will bring home $2 after all the new taxes, and the government will still want more. :D
Okay that was a bit extreme, but it could happen :rolleyes: :D
BTW, I heard a rumor somewhere that they wanted to put an tax on shoes of all things...1. almost everyone buys them... 2. I guess we wara down the sidwalks too much wink
Get ready to be taxed on oxygen intake per breath. They'll have us all attached to portable o2 saturation monitors before long.... :p

07-23-2003, 04:11 PM
Roz......don't give 'em any ideas. burningm

eliminatedsprinter
07-23-2003, 04:21 PM
Roz we do pay tax on our air. I believe it's called Ca's "clean air" tax and it's one of the reasons we pay more for gas.

sandblasted
07-23-2003, 04:21 PM
058:
Roz......don't give 'em any ideas. burningm you don't have to worry about that...I'm sure the liberals have a commitee just to figure out what they haven't taxed yet! :mad:

comin' unscrewed
07-23-2003, 06:05 PM
Sure, boot him. But you know, he's just the tip of the iceburg.