PDA

View Full Version : MTBE

Seadog
05-16-2003, 08:20 AM
Just for argument, the feds are debating a bill that will eliminate MTBE usage, but require ethanol. One big debate is the liability elimination for ethanol use by refineries.
While I am pissed about the problems that MTBE has caused, I have to ask, who is actually to blame? The refineries for using a compound that they had thought to be safe and was approved by the EPA? The states for not having more aggressive investigated the problems when they arose. The EPA who pushed an additive program based on faulty data and inadequate research?
argue

Catmando
05-16-2003, 09:01 AM
I read an article about this last year and didn't keep it. :mad: :( Wasup with the "liability elimination" thing?
I know that MTBE is bad for the water supply, and drops fuel mileage by at least 10% too.

Seadog
05-16-2003, 10:56 AM
The politicians have offered this as an answer to MTBE. The problem with oxygenators is that they lower some emissions by 10%, but they also lower gas mileage by that much. Logic says that the only gain for such action is to increase how much you pay for gas. You may actually increase pollution, because of those compounds that are not on the monitoring list.

Catmando
05-16-2003, 11:41 AM
I didn't think Ethanol lowered gas mileage. Wasn't it air quality? :confused:
[ May 16, 2003, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Catmando ]

Seadog
05-16-2003, 12:49 PM
My understanding is that all of them affected fuel mileage by 5-10%. I am all for improving fuels, but I have never seen any real evidence that this does any real good to anyone other than the ethanol producers.
FYI: You may someday be driving with turkey fuel. They have built a plant to produce 600 barrels a day from turkey wastes. All the fat, bones and other process wastes is made into oil. It cost about three times more than the cheapest pumped oil, but it could be made cheaper in time. My guess is that if it is not already figured into the equation, the ability to eliminate increasing waste disposal costs would make it break even.

Catmando
05-16-2003, 12:55 PM
You mean that one day we'll be blowing turkey guts out our exhaust pipes?? jawdrop :D

Seadog
05-16-2003, 01:16 PM
It means the turkeys on the road won't only be behind the wheel. Just think of the new language this would inspire. Turkey Blaster, TNT(turkey N turd), Blown Big Bird, Thanksgiving Special, Poultry Power, etc. And the jokes it will inspire. A turkey, driving a turkey, fueled by a turkey. He's a chicken shit and the rest of the bird is going thru the engine.

Catmando
05-16-2003, 01:41 PM
Seadog:
It means the turkeys on the road won't only be behind the wheel. Just think of the new language this would inspire. Turkey Blaster, TNT(turkey N turd), Blown Big Bird, Thanksgiving Special, Poultry Power, etc. And the jokes it will inspire. A turkey, driving a turkey, fueled by a turkey. He's a chicken shit and the rest of the bird is going thru the engine. ARARARAR!! idea :D :D
[ May 16, 2003, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Catmando ]

Catmando
05-16-2003, 03:05 PM
We've got MTBE here in the DFW area, and I put a water purifier in my house just in case.
[ May 16, 2003, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Catmando ]

Super D
05-16-2003, 03:09 PM
Union 76 does not use MTBE. I try to use this in my boat when available, so should everybody. :D

boatnam2
05-16-2003, 03:24 PM
i work for arco and we do not mtbe either,i think the only refinery running mtbe at this time in so cal is diamond shamrock.it was not the choice of refineries to run mtbe.it cost millions to convert.