PDA

View Full Version : xm radio

BlownForce 29
09-01-2003, 10:22 PM
what does it cost to have this service and would it be worth getting in my boat. how is the reception out on the lake?

Uplink
09-01-2003, 11:05 PM
Its $10 bucks a month and well worth it. Reception on the lakes is always solid (as well as almost anywhere in the U.S.) I don't even bring my CD's to the lake anymore. No disc skipping or poor FM reception problems. Is has many channels of CD quality music playing non-stop, as well as news, comedy, and all the other stuff.
I duplicated my trucks XM wiring harness and got another antenna and head unit for the boat, and just unplug the satellite receiver from the truck and plug it into the boat.
Its the perfect boat gadget. :D
Mark
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/194xmboat1.jpg

LUVNLIFE
09-02-2003, 03:38 AM
We have the portable unit for the motorhome and then bought the portable speakers that the head unit fits into for the beach. So far so good.

Danhercules
09-02-2003, 06:19 AM
I put the unit in a box I made and take it in all my cars, trucks, trailer, boat........ You dont need wiring harnese. It works through the antenna, like some cd changers do, I just put the attenna and the imput antenna on the dash or close to the radio and it works fine, it a bit cleaner to make or purchase the harnes for each radio you want it in. I also put the power on a cig plug. When I got mine about 1.5 years ago, the unit was like 200 bucks and the the monthly fee, they have a new portibal unit, look in to that.

Mr. Naudio
09-02-2003, 06:53 AM
If you have a xm ready headunit.(most sonys that you would put in a boat)
Then all you need to add is the xm1 receiver box at about $280.00 and the antenna at about $80.00
Both of witch can be hidden the antenna will work fine through fiberglass.

Mr. Naudio
09-02-2003, 08:02 AM
PS.can also be activated for the season.
Plus wanted to check my new avatar

STGP
09-02-2003, 01:01 PM
I am going have XM put in my boat for next season. Any recomendations for where to have it done in Havasu?

ROZ
09-02-2003, 02:09 PM
Mr. Naudio:
the antenna at about $80.00eek! Must be made of gold.....
Mr. Naudio:
Both of witch can be hidden the antenna will work fine through fiberglass. The antenna doesn't always work through fiberglass. For the do-it-yourselfer, I suggest running the system before mounting the antenna and experiment with different potential mounting locations. Then mount it in the spot that you like best.

Over 18
09-02-2003, 03:24 PM
in havasu, probably soundbank on the corner of smoketree and mcculloch

Over 18
09-02-2003, 03:25 PM
in havasu, probably soundbank on the corner of smoketree and mcculloch

nuboater
09-02-2003, 05:03 PM
XM is awesome...Go with the Terk 3 antenna.

ROZ
09-02-2003, 05:04 PM
nuboater:
XM is awesome...Go with the Terk 3 antenna. Yea, it's only about $45.00 wink

woodster
09-02-2003, 05:46 PM
I have XM and it rocks.. Reception has been perfect everywhere. I mounted my antenna under the passenger console where its hidden and it works great.. I have it in my truck also

Mr. Naudio
09-03-2003, 04:48 AM
Yeh its only about $45.00 Sorry if the price i gave was to high for ya just what ive seen them going for around here.
Not like im selling them here or ever will.
ALL HALE ROZ.
I,ve learned alot from reading his post he is still the resident guru.
(props)
Ps. If it didnt work in one of your installs through glass was prob under cup holder or bimini
rails ect?.Just a question not a rip

ROZ
09-03-2003, 11:10 AM
Mr. Naudio:
ALL HALE ROZ.
Ridiculous, everyone knows that the real guru is HavasuHangin'
I was just stating that 80.00 seems like a lot of money when they retail almost anwhere on the internet and around town for less than 50.00.
As far as location of the antenna...I don't know why it sometimes (not too often) doesn't work under Fiberglass....A basic rule of thumb is that the antenna shouldn't be mounted beneath a metallic surface or be painted by a metallic paint.....

jeepinscott
09-03-2003, 11:50 AM
I have the Sirius system with the kenwood, here to anywhere unit. It was $200 plus $70 per adapter kit. I can bring the unit into every car and rec vehicle I have and even into the house. The only difference between XM and Sirius is for $2 more per month than XM, Sirius doesn't have commercials.

Mr. Naudio
09-03-2003, 04:04 PM
ROZ:
Mr. Naudio:
ALL HALE ROZ.
Ridiculous, everyone knows that the real guru is HavasuHangin'
I was just stating that 80.00 seems like a lot of money when they retail almost anwhere on the internet and around town for less than 50.00.
As far as location of the antenna...I don't know why it sometimes (not too often) doesn't work under Fiberglass....A basic rule of thumb is that the antenna shouldn't be mounted beneath a metallic surface or be painted by a metallic paint..... Agreed on all except that the price on them in Havasu.
No matter they are all changing to the single connecter type from what ive heard.No quote there
seen them on the delfi car kits.Bout half the size also.
Are they easyer to get in Calif.
My understanding is that there is a national backorder on them know its hard to find the XM or SIRRIUS recieverin havasu anyway.

Mr. Naudio
09-03-2003, 04:06 PM
man i got to take a typing class or 6

Trailer Park Casanova
09-03-2003, 04:24 PM
I love our XM.
But my teenage daughter says it lacks whats popular NOW: (a brassy punk sound, & rap is dead).
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/939P8260042-med.JPG
She always finds something to love on XM anyway.
But the rest of their music is great.
They don't have complete license to play all music in any one catagory,,, so you get the continous repeat loop sound sometimes on some stations.
If you love shit kickin,,, it's outstanding.
Should have mounted the antenna on top the tower, but the Buttholes at Phat Buddie stopped putting the Antenna mount on their towers without telling anyone,, so I had to mount the antenna on the dash.
I loose the stations if the boat is facing Rice road fo that reason.
[ September 03, 2003, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]