PDA

View Full Version : OK, what's an "ITS System?" Is it good/better/best?

MagicMtnDan
08-23-2003, 12:14 PM
Below are three posts from "Hot Boats" forum about the "ITS System" - I'm curious to learn about this thing and know more. What can you tell me about it? Is there a Web site I can find out more? Thanks...
Just want to comment on the last 28 Bullet I saw being built a few months ago. Gene told me it was the first "ITS" system installation they've done and he digs it. What a totally bitchen set up! Very clean. This guy had it connected to the new 525EFI. Stand off box, hydraulic steering, shorter outdrive all in one nice clean package covered by one warranty. Sounds like it'll go faster too GT.
-Dr. Margarita
----------------------------------------
Alright, I'll bite (hey, I'm a newbie boater)...What's an ITS system (I have an idea but I'd like to find out the details). Also, is there a Web site to check out to learn more about that stuff?
-MagicMtnDan
----------------------------------------
I have not seen the ITS system on Mercruiser's website yet. You might call them to see if they can send you some literature. Better yet, why not start a thread and see if someone can post a pic. It is the cleanest deal you'll ever see, especially considering its hang'in off the back of beautiful custom boats. A hydraulic helm must be used. I could describe it in detail but let's see if we can get someone to post an image. The outdrive must be shorter (Sportmaster) since the standoff box mounts the outdrive out and a few inches lower separating boat turbulence from the lower unit. The detailing and look of how everything fits together is bitchen! But it ain't cheap!
-Dr. Margarita
[ August 23, 2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: MagicMtnDan ]

mbrown2
08-23-2003, 05:06 PM
Bravo One XR I.T.S.
The performance of Mercury Racing and Mercury MerCruiser sterndrives, outfitted with Bravo One XR drives, is leveraged with the Mercury Racing Integrated Transom System (ITS). The ITS, now available as an accessory from Mercury Racing, enhances overall boat drive height flexibility while making the transom more aesthetically pleasing and simplifying installation. The ITS features integral power steering cylinders and a lightweight, removable plastic cover which allows access to concealed hydraulic steering lines and trim lines. ITS upgrades to the Bravo One XR drive include a new upper housing cover and rear drive cap with built-in tie-bar attachment.
The gimbal bracket assembly has been strengthened with addendum ears for the attachment of the integral steering cylinders. Trim and steering cylinders, multi-mounted to the gimbal ring, transfer stress loads back to the transom, increasing strength and durability. A built-in seven-inch setback improves boat running attitude in select applications.
Features & Benefits:
Built-in 7" setback.
Lengthened heavy-duty XR drive input shaft.
Integral hydraulic twin-ram power steering.
Built-in electronic trim and tilt.
Trim and steering rams, multi-mounted to the gimbal ring, transfer load back to transom - increasing strength and durability.
New drive cover aids in drive cooling.
New rear drive cap features built-in tie-bar attachment.
Available with Mercury Racing engine packages outfitted with Bravo One XR, Bravo One XR Sport Master and Bravo One XR Short Sport Master drives.
The above is from Merc's website...
Basically it is a 7" Standoff Box with intergrated hydraulic steering...It makes for a very clean and less busy backend on a stern drive setup...When I was going to do a Teague setup on a boat we were thinking of, the manufacture recommended a different aftermarket stand-off due to its longer length and torsional shaft that could withstand the higher 800hp; the merc is great for a 500-600hp setup, but if you want to run more HP, get longer length and leverage go with an Imco or other standoff with beefier external steering...if you look close below you can see the profile of the ITS below...the hydraulic steering arms are located near the bottom of the box.....
http://www.mercmarine.com/uploads/127/hp525efi.gif
[ August 23, 2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

Keith E. Sayre
08-24-2003, 11:59 AM
It helps with some boats and others it doesn't. I
think you'll find that on all of the "Talon"--
"American Offshore" style bottoms and especially
the Conquest, Eliminator and Magic deckboats, they don't help much unless you run alot of horse
power. I know that last year we had one on Mike
Buckley's boat with an HP500 and it would spin the 26" Bravo 1 about 250 rpm higher than the
equivalent boats without the ITS but we didn't
notice any speed advantage. On the ones with 700hp+ -- then it seemed to help. Getting the
X-dimension just right with an ITS is a bit of a
task also. Ask Lonnie at Nordic!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

shockwavebd
08-24-2003, 04:53 PM
Keith E. Sayre:
It helps with some boats and others it doesn't. I
think you'll find that on all of the "Talon"--
"American Offshore" style bottoms and especially
the Conquest, Eliminator and Magic deckboats, they don't help much unless you run alot of horse
power. I know that last year we had one on Mike
Buckley's boat with an HP500 and it would spin the 26" Bravo 1 about 250 rpm higher than the
equivalent boats without the ITS but we didn't
notice any speed advantage. On the ones with 700hp+ -- then it seemed to help. Getting the
X-dimension just right with an ITS is a bit of a
task also. Ask Lonnie at Nordic!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats Same here did not see any gains on the stock set ups