PDA

View Full Version : "Classifieds Thread???"

RiverKitty
01-31-2003, 08:36 PM
I've noticed quite a *few* people have posted items for sale....boats, etc. on the forum.
They always have to *apologize* for posting their *spam*.
Personally, I don't think it's *spam*. I see it more as a "classified ad"!
It's just honest folks trying to network with other folks!
No harm done, eh???
Would it be possible to start a new thread labeled "Classified Ads" specifically for folks to sell, buy, etc.???
What do you think???

JetBoatRich
01-31-2003, 09:02 PM
Nice thinking there Kitty, be nice to go to one area to find the Garage Sale wink

RiverKitty
01-31-2003, 09:07 PM
EXACTLY!!!

Rexone
01-31-2003, 09:13 PM
I think this has been discussed in the past as being a conflict with ***boat's existing classified section which they collect money for either in membership or by the ad I think. Just remember seeing this subject a while back I think.

superdave013
01-31-2003, 09:20 PM
They already have those threads in the jet and v drive forums.
Have worked real good for lots of people too. Hey, I sold my stuff and bought some stuff too!

RiverKitty
01-31-2003, 11:30 PM
So what your saying is, selling items (boats, etc.) IS considered spam on this forum???
If so, then are people *allowed* to *advertise* (buy/sell) on this forum concidering it IS spam???
Is *spam* allowed? If not, WHAT are the rules regarding spam?
All I know is I've witnessed successful transactions made on this forum & everyone was happy in the end.
Just seems *logical* to me to add a thread so folks that want to buy or sell will have their own thread to work with. That way there, it keeps the *spam* out of the other topics.
JMO

NEW 2 RIVER
02-01-2003, 12:33 AM
Great idea to add a classified thread.But the whole problem there would mean that ***boat supports it and the first time that someone bought something and got burned they would seek assistance from ***boat.Which brings out a whole set of issues like liability,monitoring,collecting, and ensuring that if a seller was to rip a guy off that no one sought this person out and personally held him responsible.Unfortunately whenever money is involved it usually invites unwanted people.
Just my thoughts. :)

RiverKitty
02-01-2003, 12:50 AM
What if a *disclaimer* was involved with the thread so that Hot Boat would have no liability held against them.
The thing is....it's already happening on the forum. People are already selling their stuff on the forum and so far nothing has gone wrong....yet. Hot Boat is just as vulnerable now for transactions that go awry. Know what I mean, eh???
Either all spam must STOP completely so hot boat will not be liable for a "bad transaction" or a thread should be set up with a disclaimer attached.
Again...JMO

ACCEPTENCE
02-01-2003, 12:55 AM
Kitty, are you a late night thinker???

JetBoatRich
02-01-2003, 07:05 AM
ACCEPTENCE:
Kitty, are you a late night thinker??? Listing to both sides, both right. Would be nice to have a area set-up for selling, but ***boat could get pulled into an area they do not want.
I say we keep doing the way we are or use E-Bay.
Kitty, by the way there right you are a late thinker!

superdave013
02-01-2003, 10:03 AM
RiverKitty:
People are already selling their stuff on the forum and so far nothing has gone wrong....yet. Hot Boat is just as vulnerable now for transactions that go awry. Know what I mean, eh???
Either all spam must STOP completely so hot boat will not be liable for a "bad transaction" or a thread should be set up with a disclaimer attached.
Again...JMO Things have gone wrong. When it does the group usally takes care of it. Now how would hot boat be any more liable then the local paper that you place ads in?
What I was told about spam when I became a mod is.....
Right now they don't want to see computer generated type of "mass spam". And they want it to be boat related spam. Selling an oil pan or outdrive is ok. Cars and other non boat realted items are not, even though no one has objected to the cars yet.
I like it when people put "Spam" in their thread title. That way when the others that don't want to read it know not to click it.
I myself would rather see what someones selling then read some of this other crap that's getting posted latley. But that's just me and if you like posting and / or reading the other then by all means keep doing it.
[ February 01, 2003, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

MJ19
02-01-2003, 11:56 AM
so far it's 79% for and 21% against...
Looks like it's an idea that the people like. :)

Havasu Hangin'
02-01-2003, 12:02 PM
Well, I think I am may be partly guilty of making people "SPAM-wary" when the "Delaminator Golf-web site Admin" was being a jackass...
However, I think there is value to letting fellow board members know about a great deal or great service you know about. It's a fine line...

VillainDave
02-01-2003, 12:02 PM
I agree River Kitty!

MJ19
02-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Havasu Hangin':
Well, I think I am may be partly guilty of making people "SPAM-wary" when the "Delaminator Golf-web site Admin" was being a jackass...
However, I think there is value to letting fellow board members know about a great deal or great service you know about. It's a fine line... similar to those offended by 'idol chit chat' ***boat started a "SandBar" maybe they could start a "classified" section. I have noticed other boat sites have the 'sell your stuff' sections separate.
What would be the 'issue' with it? Please explain as I'm not exactly sure what you mean by it being a fine line and I'd like to understand. :)

superdave013
02-01-2003, 02:02 PM
MJ19:
similar to those offended by 'idol chit chat' ***boat started a "SandBar" maybe they could start a "classified" section. I have noticed other boat sites have the 'sell your stuff' sections separate.
What would be the 'issue' with it? Please explain as I'm not exactly sure what you mean by it being a fine line and I'd like to understand. :) MJ, you must not go to Hot Boat's main page very often. They do already have a classified section.
click here (http://www.***boat.net/class/frames.html)
But for those to cheep (like me) to pay for it they just post it in the section that fits the bill.

J
02-01-2003, 02:13 PM
Then call it the "Spam" thread.
People may want to sell other things than boats, like golf carts, etc.
Not to mention, an individual placing an ad can get immediate response on the forum.

RiverKitty
02-01-2003, 03:15 PM
Oh....Hot Boat.....hmmmmmm....
http://www.bobbyhayden.com/poll.gif
http://www.bobbyhayden.com/lips.gif
[ February 02, 2003, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: RiverKitty ]

Cheyenne 572
02-01-2003, 03:39 PM
I totally agree with Riverkitty.
Cheyenne 572 jawdrop

Brendella
02-01-2003, 04:01 PM
they should add that forum . the one they do have at hot boat is long unorganized and half the stuff their is at least 1-2 years old. some of it has even sold and they still have it advertised.
I think they should run one similar to havasu harney's his is well ordanized!!
brendella

Havasu Hangin'
02-01-2003, 04:05 PM
MJ19:
What would be the 'issue' with it? Please explain as I'm not exactly sure what you mean by it being a fine line and I'd like to understand. How do you differenciate between someone who is selling something at a discount to fellow board members (offering a "special deal")....and someone who is using the site purely to profit from advertising to the group?
My "fine line" comment is meant to make people think about who is doing the advertising...is it somone who does it for a living, yet doesn't want to pay for the adspace (like Delaminator Golf Web Site Admin Stitch Guy)?
...or a board member trying to get rid of some stuff, and offering a "special deal" to his fellow board members?

Eric455
02-01-2003, 04:08 PM
yes start it. very good idea kitty, i had acually tought about that topic when i fist joined the boards. but then i said ohh whos gonna listen to me.
eric

JetBoatRich
02-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Eric455:
yes start it. very good idea kitty, i had acually tought about that topic when i fist joined the boards. but then i said ohh whos gonna listen to me.
eric Really who is going ot listen to you? :D
You want to sell boat parts or something? :)

RiverKitty
02-01-2003, 10:31 PM
Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 54 user(s) have voted.
http://www.bobbyhayden.com/poll2.gif
....and the plot thickens!
WILL Hot Boat listen????? :confused:

Cas
02-02-2003, 01:15 AM
I started a "Swap Meet" thread a couple of years ago in one of the headings, Jet Boats, I think. It appeared to go over real well but ended up scrolling off. I've noticed a couple of other people have started similar threads that also seem to be pretty active.
I've also noticed more and more people coming over to the Banderlog site to use the "Trading Post" section we set up a while back. It also gets a lot of activity with what appears to be many completed deals.
If HB doesn't step up with a free classified section, feel free to use the Banderlog Trading Post. If you like, I could set it up with some specific threads such as:
Jet Parts
Engine Parts
Boats
or whatever else people would like to see.
I think HB drops the ball in certain areas due to monetary interests and that's their purogative.
God forbid that another site has more to offer for the average boater :D
(just working the psychological angle) wink

riverliver
02-02-2003, 05:19 AM
Bravo 1 hp Lwp 1:36 low HR (10)
$1995.00
eek! :D wink idea

Jrocket
02-02-2003, 10:13 AM
********,********,**,* *,***
Just in case you missed a few!!!! :D :D

Eric455
02-02-2003, 10:15 AM
JetBoatRich:
Eric455:
eric Really who is going ot listen to you? :D
You want to sell boat parts or something? :) acually Rich, i woudl have to say that i would need the classifieds tread to buy parts, give away free stuff, and/or trade. i think its a great idea.
eric

MJ19
02-02-2003, 10:28 AM
superdave013:
MJ, you must not go to Hot Boat's main page very often. They do already have a classified section.
click here (http://www.***boat.net/class/frames.html)
But for those to cheep (like me) to pay for it they just post it in the section that fits the bill. Well you hit the nail right on the head :D I'm just a girl who likes to talk, like the people & likes the boats. I leave the "techy" stuff up to my man, therefore I typically stay where I'm supposed to stay (in the chit chat section AKA The Sandbar) :D
Havasu Hangin':
How do you differenciate between someone who is selling something at a discount to fellow board members (offering a "special deal")....and someone who is using the site purely to profit from advertising to the group?
My "fine line" comment is meant to make people think about who is doing the advertising...is it somone who does it for a living, yet doesn't want to pay for the adspace (like Delaminator Golf Web Site Admin Stitch Guy)?
...or a board member trying to get rid of some stuff, and offering a "special deal" to his fellow board members? Thanks for the clarification :)
[ February 02, 2003, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: MJ19 ]

RiverKitty
02-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Instead of calling it the "classifieds" thread, it should be called the "spam" thread.
That way there it wouldn't interfere with Hot Boats "Classified" section. (Which is pretty lame anyways....have you seen it???)
Then folks can buy, sell, trade, job offers, give away free stuff, animals, bikes, cars, parts, etc., Hopefully no one will abuse it and do crap like MLM schemes. It would have to be used with respect & everyone should know that whatever *deals* happen in the thread, that Hot Boat would be in no way responsible or liable for any "deals gone bad".
I could live with a thread like that!

superdave013
02-02-2003, 12:22 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'ed love a buy / sell forum. If they called it the spam forum all the better.
Like someone else said, Havasu Barney's site has one that is laid out real nice.
Take a look at it right here to see what ya think. (http://www.havasubarney.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.pl?s=3e3d7a3308acffff;act=SC;c=4)

mbrown2
02-02-2003, 01:19 PM
This topic has been brought up before and it seems the masses are for it, and anybody that is affiliated with the ***boat or the Website is against it (or at least is not openly for it). Anyway, I feel they should have a classifieds thread, and if maybe have folks pay a little something like OSO to be a Charter Member so they can post there; this way it might be easier to moderate. In addition, OSO has two areas; within the threads and dedicated pages, and both seem to get a lot of traffic. I question the argument that advertisers will stop paying for space if we have a classifieds thread. Advertisers get big rich content banners with click-to links; this is not the case with thread adds, so they should pay for rich content banners; they generate more traffic with it; I doubt Ultra would stop paying for a Banner ad, and start utilizing the Classifieds thread. However, Ultra might get some use out the thread buy posting some laying around the shop/overstocked/closeout items on the classified thread; such as Rexone has done in the past. At least put it out there and see how it works; plus this would place less SPAM in regular threads.

Froggystyle
02-02-2003, 01:49 PM
I think what you should be able to do is place a classified ad if you are a paying member, and have is show up on a Classified forum. You can dictate how long it will stay full... up to you. I personally only show active posts, and only if they are active within the last couple days or whatever. You would be able to check out gear for sale, and if you felt it was a valuable enough tool, you would buy the membership to be able to post there.
I am all about turning a profit.
Bottom line... make a forum page of recent classified ads, and have to pay to post there.
(the ad would also post in the normal classified section... bang for the buck!)

Eric455
02-02-2003, 02:10 PM
Froggystyle:
I think what you should be able to do is place a classified ad if you are a paying member, and have is show up on a Classified forum. You can dictate how long it will stay full... up to you. I personally only show active posts, and only if they are active within the last couple days or whatever. You would be able to check out gear for sale, and if you felt it was a valuable enough tool, you would buy the membership to be able to post there.
I am all about turning a profit.
Bottom line... make a forum page of recent classified ads, and have to pay to post there.
(the ad would also post in the normal classified section... bang for the buck!) If that is the case then everyone who wants to sell/buy stuff will just do what everyone is doing now, "posting spam". all we are trying to do is just get all people who want to buy/sell will post in the designated space. and not all over the place. i'll bring up an example. i want to buy some bbc parts right now, right? I'm going throught every tread to see what people have posted and what people have for sell" i completely understand where you are coming from Forggy, and profit is good to the boards. but no one will sign up.
eric

mbrown2
02-02-2003, 02:22 PM
If a Classifieds thread is created, then all spam classifieds should be removed and moderated. Most activily traveled sites on the net are not for free for posting classifieds...Their should be some sort of charge, and those members who actively use will post items of sale and pay to post and sell goods there. Other's who resort to SPAM will change their habits once their SPAM posts are removed.

XLGPP
02-02-2003, 02:31 PM
I agree so much Kitty, that I have one.
Bravo XZ drive, looking for good home!!(boat)
approx 80hrs. needs upper rebuilt. will sell as-is or fixed. I dont feel like hassling with selling this drive so I would take ANY reasonable offer.

Eric455
02-02-2003, 02:35 PM
mbrown2:
If a Classifieds thread is created, then all spam classifieds should be removed and moderated. Most activily traveled sites on the net are not for free for posting classifieds...Their should be some sort of charge, and those members who actively use will post items of sale and pay to post and sell goods there. Other's who resort to SPAM will change their habits once their SPAM posts are removed. well i guess their is going to be alote of removing of post like the one XLGPP just did.
eric

mbrown2
02-02-2003, 02:39 PM
One thing I should mention is I don't mind the SPAM posts, but I find a Classifieds thread like OSO much more useful then finding Classified posts in 8 different forums areas, and if they were only done two days ago, they have already rolled off the screen in that particular area of interest. When I am on another site, and I am interested in reviewing the Classified, I go to that area and page back to the date when I last viewed...doing that efficiently here is not even possible...they are mixed in with topics in every area and are lost within the topics as well.
[ February 02, 2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

XLGPP
02-02-2003, 02:39 PM
another idea, is especially since there are so many ppl who post here. is a live chat. its much easier than waiting for posts then replying when you want to socialize. and if say Eric wants to go in and say he's looking for a prop, maybe someone thats in the room at the time will know someone that has what he wants. (just a hypothetical)

Eric455
02-02-2003, 03:08 PM
XLGPP:
another idea, is especially since there are so many ppl who post here. is a live chat. its much easier than waiting for posts then replying when you want to socialize. and if say Eric wants to go in and say he's looking for a prop, maybe someone thats in the room at the time will know someone that has what he wants. (just a hypothetical) i'll drink to that :p

RiverKitty
02-02-2003, 03:51 PM
RiverKitty:
Instead of calling it the "classifieds" thread, it should be called the "spam" thread.
That way there it wouldn't interfere with Hot Boats "Classified" section. (Which is pretty lame anyways....have you seen it???)
Then folks can buy, sell, trade, job offers, give away free stuff, animals, bikes, cars, parts, etc., Hopefully no one will abuse it and do crap like MLM schemes. It would have to be used with respect & everyone should know that whatever *deals* happen in the thread, that Hot Boat would be in no way responsible or liable for any "deals gone bad".
I could live with a thread like that! Let's face it, people have & will continue to offer boats, parts, animals, free stuff, etc. *whatever* on this forum!!!!
It would be *stupid* for people to have to pay to get into a "classifieds" thread. If that's the case, everyone will just continue to do what they are already doing & just post their *spam* wherever they want to on the forum.
AND if spam is not allowed on this forum, then the moderators will have their work cut out for them!!! It would be like the "moderator forum from hell"!!!
All I know is if any site becomes overly *policed/moderated/politics*, no one will want to visit it!
Like others have said, there *are* other forums out there.
All I'm saying is, a *spam* thread ....just makes sense & is logical!!!

RiverKitty
02-02-2003, 03:55 PM
XLGPP:
another idea, is especially since there are so many ppl who post here. is a live chat. its much easier than waiting for posts then replying when you want to socialize. and if say Eric wants to go in and say he's looking for a prop, maybe someone thats in the room at the time will know someone that has what he wants. (just a hypothetical) The only problem with *live chat* is that the *audience* that may be looking for whatever it is you are selling or wanting to give away or whatever....may NOT be on-line at the time.
A thread allows all people with different hours to catch up on what's available.
If it was me, I'd probably just check in time to time to see if anyone was giving away a free sea-doo (lake lice)!!! :D

superdave013
02-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Kitty, spam type of threads are already happing.
I kow you don't get over to the other forums very often but take a quick look at these threads.
in the jet section (http://free.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001111)
in the v drive section (http://free.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001233)
So if they don't start an entier forum for buy / sell what we have is working very well.
For the people that are trying to sell cars or other non boat related stuff... Well there are other sites that would get much better results then here. But if they post them I'm not going to get all bent about it.
Now let me ask you a question.
Is the little bit of spam getting in the way of what you are doing here?

RiverKitty
02-02-2003, 04:31 PM
superdave013:
Now let me ask you a question. Is the little bit of spam getting in the way of what you are doing here? No, I just think it would be easier to have *one* thread to look at.
Like others have said, *spam* is being posted on every thread. And not all spam on this forum is boat realted...like the "free dog to good home" or "golf carts", etc.
We are all friends here & if one of my buddies has a free dog to give away, I'd love to take it....so to speak. See what I mean, eh? It's NOT a bad thing!
And heck, not everything we talk about on this forum IS boat realted. Hell, we've talked about music, the shuttle blowing up, parties, etc.
It's more like this forum has become somewhat of a *family* of friends, and I think that is pretty cool!
Obviously *I* have no control as to what is included in this site, let alone what will be moderated.
It just seemed like a *logical* idea is all.
[ February 02, 2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: RiverKitty ]

Mandelon
02-02-2003, 04:41 PM
Used shower head for sale, Well Loved. See River Kitty.....

JetBoatRich
02-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Kitty is taking this one all the way to the end, keep fighting girl, WE ARE BEHIND YOU

RiverKitty
02-02-2003, 06:45 PM
Mandelon:
Used shower head for sale... Where?!?!?!? :D
*wink* :p

NEW 2 RIVER
02-02-2003, 06:50 PM
RiverKitty:
If you build it they will come.
j/k :D

RiverKitty
02-02-2003, 07:03 PM
NEW 2 RIVER:
RiverKitty:
If you build it they will come.
:D I'm workin' on it!!!
Gee! WHO does a person have to talk to to get some action done around here???
Who's the HEAD HONCHO????
The masses have SPOKEN!!!
Let's make this happen!!!
This is too simple and too logical NOT to make this happen!
Come on Hot Boat!!! We LOVE YOU!!!!
(But you CAN'T have our Bud Lites!!!) :p

Jordy
02-02-2003, 07:04 PM
RiverKitty:
Gee! WHO does a person have to talk to to get some action around here???
:D :D :D

RiverKitty
02-02-2003, 07:05 PM
jordanpaulk:
RiverKitty:
Gee! WHO does a person have to talk to to get some action around here???
:D :D :D OH! Should have KNOWN!!!
Well Big Guy!!! Let's DO THIS!!!! :D

Jordy
02-02-2003, 07:08 PM
Oh, you did say "done"... :D

RiverKitty
02-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Ok Jordo!
I've been *waiting*!
Where's my *Spam* thread??????

Jordy
02-02-2003, 08:11 PM
I think I must have misunderstood your needs here... I don't have any real authoritai, I just play like I do on the 'net. :p
I wouldn't make you wait that long for something I could really help you with though. wink

RiverKitty
02-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Promises, promises!!! :D :p

RiverKitty
02-02-2003, 10:05 PM
http://www.bobbyhayden.com/syke.jpg

24RODjr
02-02-2003, 10:10 PM
I see Syke-o is becomming famous! He's gonna be sooo happy I posted that pic of him!
:D

Lakemead1
02-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Since this is all about the spam, I'm going to through a plug in for my site BoatXchange (http://www.boatxchange.com)
Check it out! One of the things I wanted to add for "Hot Boaters" was a separate searchable database of just hot boats, so we did.
Sorry for the Spam :p

RiverKitty
02-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Nice site Lakemead1 !!! :D

Lakemead1
02-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Thanks RiverKitty, we've worked really hard on it, I'm hoping someday it will take off and pay for a new ride for me :D I'm thinking a 2750 Lavey or a 27 Hallet, I've got to sell my Essex firsth though :( My wife and I have twins on the way so I tell her we'll need a bigger boat :p
It's hard to compete against the other sites out there though! I will cut a deal to any Hot Boat users who need to sell a boat however, just drop me a note. We're getting nearly 10,000 unique visitors a month - 99% of them looking to buy. I need more boats on there.