PDA

View Full Version : Am I alone here?

32fever
03-05-2002, 10:00 PM
I often just surf the web as many of you do looking at what's out there, cool boats, etc. When I look at the prices, man. I can't get over it.
I have basically a 6 year old 32' boat now. To jump to a newer (1-2 years old) 38' boat, holy crap. Now, I'd be looking at a substantial increase in a payment to get a boat as such, $400-$700 a month MORE I suppose, depending on what it is. I just can't see how it's worth it.
The thing that bothers me is the price increases from say a 32-38 foot boat with the SAME POWER and DRIVES. That doesn't cost more to do in a 30 than 38 twin. I can see going from singles to twins, but from twins and just adding length and the price increases just don't make sense. The boat manufacturers and dealers are making lots more profit on those boats. There are more materials, but probably labor isn't all that much of an increase. Cockpit bolsters, etc are essentially the same, etc.
Anyone else have a similar notation? I guess I can't see making that kind of commitment to the hobby. I mean, I'm not even sure with a limitless budget I'd be able to bring myself to splurge.
Mark

fwk
03-06-2002, 04:56 AM
The prices for boats now are crazy. I agree with you. Boat prices went up when they started financing them like houses. We want a new boat but I am the same I can't justify the payment. I don't owe anything on our boat, even though it is older I still like it. Forrest

jafo
03-06-2002, 06:01 AM
We just moved up from a 24 Formula w/twins to a 28 AT with twins (both SBC boats). The move was more to shed years (1986 to 1999) than to gain a lot in length (the AT does handle rough water in awesome fashion though!). We now however have a payment again.
It is an expensive hobby, no doubt. We that live in the north don't get much use for the amount of money it costs. Kinda like snowmobiling isn't it?
I think the big costs are more justified if you live in a 9-12 month boating season area. We intend to keep the AT in Florida during the winter months so we can use it more!
32fever- Maybe we can run over from North Point Marina in Chicago to your area this summer! Looking forward to trying out the AT in Lake Michigan!
Jim

euby
03-06-2002, 06:25 AM
i'm about in the "same boat" as jafo i'v got a 96 24 formula now single 502 and would like to upgrade to 28' within a couple years. i don't have a payment now and i really don't want one. my boat really is good enough for where i go... so i guess its just a matter of "bigger is better"! so is that enough to outway the $$ every month?
not for me right now http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Indy
03-06-2002, 06:52 AM
Yea...I hear you all. We all want bigger and better, especially if we run with the bigger guns. 32 Fever is right, the price increase is dramatic as you size up. Not worth it to me. I'm going to stay with the 28' range boat, single power (albeit, big power). At least that way I only have one engine and one drive to maintain and will be able to run good speeds. I'd love to have that Top Gun, but don't want the expenses that go along with it. After owning the present boat, I'll know what to look for in the next one and will probably wind up holding on to that one for a while. Bigger=Better=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Slow Poke
03-06-2002, 07:57 AM
Yep 32fever is correct in that the price jump is outragous in the 30 - 38 footers I never saw the reason either so that is why I am sticking with my little 29 footer it too is paid for and well that means alot to me, more beer money and gas money too http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

32fever
03-06-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by jafo:
32fever- Maybe we can run over from North Point Marina in Chicago to your area this summer! Looking forward to trying out the AT in Lake Michigan!
Jim
Jim,
You're going to like the way that AT handles Lake MI http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif Actually I boat out of ST Joe, Benton Harbor, and there are 2 32' AT's in our "group" and man, they handle Lake MI great. The ride is awesome. Well, 3 kind of I guess, KAAMA has a 32 and occassionally puts in in Benton Harbor instead of Holland.
There's a good chance you'll find us at the muni on the weekends, but if you're heading over, email me and we can meet up and if you stay overnight, we'll throw some extra food on the grill for ya http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif Or just hang out and you can meet some offshore maniacs while you're here.
I think we're planning a group trip to Chicago area around the 4th of July. I might have to get some info on good places to go from you. NOt sure how long we plan on going yet.
Mark

Maverick
03-06-2002, 09:48 AM
32 Fever
Maybe we're just getting old. I, too, am running a smaller 24' BAJA OUtlaw (which is paid for). the cost of newer / bigger/ twins is beyond what I care to put into a hobby that I dearly love, but don't care to be a slave to!
On the other hand, I will bet that this year there will be some "bargains" out there with a year or two on them!!!!! Many who were "stock" rich last year --- probably are wanting to "cut corners" this year..
maverick

caincando1
03-06-2002, 10:10 AM
Boats are just way over priced period. Damn it why do they have to be so much fun.
Brian

AudioGuy
03-06-2002, 12:04 PM
BOAT PRICES, just look at last months Hot Boat the lowest price 28' was 101K, can you belive that? I just took delivery of a new single 28', while i love the boat i cannot beleive how much they cost and worse all the boat builders are busy!

2prop
03-07-2002, 03:10 PM
Boats are just like cars, you get what you pay for, granted the prices are high , but if you can afford a really nice offshore boat you would'nt want every Tom,Dick and Harry to have one either , hell if everybody can buy one ,whats the point in being in the upper class boat market,,,,,,,,,kinda like if everyone had a rare diamond ,,, they would'nt be so rare,,,,huh! I suggest enjoy what you have to the fullest extent, know matter what it might be, and it does not hurt a thing to have dreams........ http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

ByteMe
03-08-2002, 07:18 PM
No doubt, boats are way to expensive. And…what about those engines? You have got to be able to build a custom full roller engine with marine alternator, starter and plugs for a hole bunch less then what they are asking for ‘em, can’t ya?
If I were to move up, besides the cost of the boat, I would have to get a bigger truck, trailer, lift and slip. Let’s not even talk about fuel, maintenance, insurance and the big ‘D’ (depreciation).
No thanks. Well maybe, if I hit the Lottery.
-Chris

slowride
03-19-2002, 09:22 AM
2prop has a good point. Boats are too
expensive but you buy what you can.
We'll never stop dreaming , no matter
what we have now.