PDA

View Full Version : Interview questions

Sportin' Wood
03-21-2006, 09:08 AM
So I'm trying to create a basic interview evaluation summary for our Company today that will simplify the interview process for our managers, and it got me to thinking about all the painfull questions that I have been asked over the years.
What's your favorite interview questions or worse interview questions you have faced.
The grand daddy of them all and of course the first on my list
"Tell me alittle about yourself" :)
A close second is the "tell me how you fixed something you screw up in the work place" being in the construction idustry thats a loaded question. :220v:
Whats your?

BarryMac
03-21-2006, 10:07 AM
If I were to hire you what can you bring to this company that will make it a more efficient/lucrative place to work???
Do you have internet experience? I need to get my post count up on my favorite boating sites, can you act like an active member of a boating forum and not bring a lot of drama while preserving my good name???
1st one is serious, I ask it in every interview, 2nd one is a joke, or is it??? :D :D :D

MagicMtnDan
03-21-2006, 10:17 AM
"Give me five words that best describe you."
"Why should we hire you?"
"Tell me about your weakness."
"What did you like about your last job?"
"What didn't you like about your last job?"
"What makes a good employee?"
"What makes a good manager?"

UnionJack
03-21-2006, 10:26 AM
What's the last book you read?

HatenWinter
03-21-2006, 10:49 AM
What's your greatest strength and whats your greatest weakness (tough one, needs to be turned into something good).

scarabrick2
03-21-2006, 10:52 AM
great q so far but do YOU know the correct answers?
Just for future knowledge :)

Kurtis500
03-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Here was the first question they asked in my second interview for the Phx Fire dept. ,
'How do you process disappointment in your life?'

Tyson Ross
03-21-2006, 11:11 AM
"Have you ever had sex with an animal?"
Polygraph question

Dave C
03-21-2006, 11:12 AM
do you go boating and have you ever called in sick to do so....... :rollside: :)

Dribble
When we interviewed for a clerical position in our ofiice I asked a situational question that went like this:
We're having a potluck. You've been selected to bring a main dish. What will you bring?
We hired the person who said lasagna.

Howie Feltersnatch
Dumbest one I ever got:
"Describe your ideal work day."
Umm...
"One where douchebags like you don't ask me idiotic questions like that."
They actually offered me the job, I said no thanks. I would have to work for the tool that issued that gem.

moneypit
03-21-2006, 11:15 AM
Habla ingles?

BigBlockBaja
03-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Habla ingles?
so true....

HOOTER SLED-
03-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
How well do you handle conflict?
Give me an example of a goal that you set for yourself and what you did to achieve it. Could be anything. Details.
How well do you work with others?
How well do you work under pressure?
How well do you work in a supervised/unsupervised setting?

C-2
03-21-2006, 03:31 PM
On a serious note, there is an invaluable book out which covers everything; pre-employment investigations, interview questions, do's and dont's, and the myriad of state specific legal compliance issues.
The book is called the Safe Hiring Manual by Lester Rosen. You can find it at Barnes Noble, Crown etc. This book is a must have for any business and I have seen numerous HR managers wanna crawl under a rock after reading it.
http://www.esrcheck.com/SafeHiringManual.php
Make sure you have up to date employment applictions - there is a group of scumbags going around So Cal looking for outdated applications; then later sue cuz they were denied employment based upon info submitted on the outdated application. :mad:

Dave C
03-21-2006, 03:36 PM
how many different voices do you hear in your head?

Jim W
03-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Hmmmmmm
none of your questions apply to me.
You are only paying me from the neck down.
I was actually told this by a worker.
Be good, jim

uclahater
03-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Habla ingles?
LMFAO :rollside:

AZKC
03-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Have you ever been giving an interview and the applicant just sounds perfect :) Answers all the "by the book" questions perfectly. And you find out later they are just professional interview takers(been to all the same seminars and read all the same books as you) and know nothing about anything :220v:

Ziggy
03-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Some of the questions I use create a real "possible scenario" at work and see how they would handle it.
Sometimes my questions will, in a way, ask the same question again in another context...see if their answer is same or similar.

Schiada76
03-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Do you swallow, honey? :p

THATJEFFGUY
03-21-2006, 05:03 PM
So I'm trying to create a basic interview evaluation summary for our Company today that will simplify the interview process for our managers, and it got me to thinking about all the painfull questions that I have been asked over the years.
What's your favorite interview questions or worse interview questions you have faced.
The grand daddy of them all and of course the first on my list
"Tell me alittle about yourself" :)
A close second is the "tell me how you fixed something you screw up in the work place" being in the construction idustry thats a loaded question. :220v:
Whats your?
How about..... "Do you happen to have any naked pics of your wife" ?

Sportin' Wood
03-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Have you ever been giving an interview and the applicant just sounds perfect :) Answers all the "by the book" questions perfectly. And you find out later they are just professional interview takers(been to all the same seminars and read all the same books as you) and know nothing about anything :220v:
Yea after reading the damn books I thought it would be a hoot to go on bogus job interviews and blow them away.
" So what can you do to make a better burger here at Mc Dougles?"
And the next day...
"Wow your experience in female hygiene is absolutly amazing, You studied in Brazil how exciting!" :)

AZKC
03-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Sometimes my questions will, in a way, ask the same question again in another context...see if their answer is same or similar.
Sea I new you were a sycolandalyst :220v:

mickeyfinn
03-21-2006, 06:52 PM
I usually end the interview like this. "We have more applicants than we o positions, it is time for you to sell yourself. Tell me what qualities you bring that will make me want to hire you instead of another applicant"...Lots of ways to ask this, but this way seems to catch them offguard and avoids their canned presentation.
A lot of the younger people in the country haven't interviewed in 10 years or so. They started working at a time when the number of jobs available was higher than the number of people looking for them. This also serves as a subtle reminder that times have changed and we only need people who are willing to work for the salary agreed upon. The silver spoon has tarnished.
I have a sign that reads "WE HAVE A NEW INCENTIVE PROGRAM.....YOU DO YOUR JOB AND WE LETYOU KEEP IT"

Burn Out
03-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Check their experiences! Walk them thru your facility and see how familiar they are with what they'll be doing!
Favorite question I asked was to explain why they left their last job. This usually tells a lot about what kind of person they really are! "The boss was a jerk!, They were mad at me cause I was always late!" That tends to follow them to their next job!
:cool:

boatsnblondes
03-21-2006, 09:25 PM
My question?? Something like this.....
"Do you work to live, or do you live to work?"
"I live to work sir!!"
"Welcome to Union Pacific, may God have mercy on your soul"

MagicMtnDan
03-21-2006, 09:28 PM
"How do you find time for the rest of your life when you spend so many hours a day on the Internet?"
"How will you deal with your Internet addiction here at our company where we monitor Internet usage?"
"Besides Jordy, Tom Brown and JBB, who else do you look up to?"
What position is "Froggystyle?"
"Whose wife is the hottest on the Sandbar?"
"When was the first time you realized what happens on the Internet isn't reality?" (Assuming you realize it already)