PDA

View Full Version : You think you have it bad?

78Eliminator
09-12-2003, 12:52 PM
CAUTION: DEPRESSING
http://talesofasia.com/cambodia-lifeonthestreets.htm

summerlove
09-12-2003, 03:43 PM
And everybody always bitches about life in America on this board. Now, don't get me wrong, I know every one of you loves this country as much as I do and would defend it to your death, however, I have gotten so sick and tired of reading the "liberals" did this and did that, after reading the article, it makes me feel damn good to be able to call the USA home. The squalor that many peolpe live in throughout this world, America included, is horrible. Sure, we all feel sad for those kids in Cambodia, but there are millions of them all over the world, and many of them here in the USA. There was a thread going the other day about "What Happened" and it listed a number of taxes that didn't exist prior to 1900 and concluded something like "what was so wrong then???" Well, maybe nothing was wrong then, but yesterday and today are two different worlds. Think about no running water, no indoor toilets, vigilante justice, no paved roads, no military jets defending our freedom, Homeland Security, etc, etc, etc. Maybe what happened is that we grew up and evolved into the largest superpower in the history of the world - and as a consequence, we have an obligation to the world to help children like these - here at home, and abroad. IMO, we all enjoy the fruits of our labor and we are all able to go boating, travel, dine out, and generally live the American Dream - I know I do. I just feel that all the bitching that goes on on thse boards about taxes, liberals, and government waste (of which there are good and bad liberals, good and bad conservatives, some taxes are good, some bad, and there is some government waste) is selfish. I know I am gonna get kicked in the a$$ on this, but I felt I had to say something. Off my soapbox now.

miller19j
09-12-2003, 03:51 PM
summerlove:
And everybody always bitches about life in America on this board. Now, don't get me wrong, I know every one of you loves this country as much as I do and would defend it to your death, however, I have gotten so sick and tired of reading the "liberals" did this and did that, after reading the article, it makes me feel damn good to be able to call the USA home. The squalor that many peolpe live in throughout this world, America included, is horrible. Sure, we all feel sad for those kids in Cambodia, but there are millions of them all over the world, and many of them here in the USA. There was a thread going the other day about "What Happened" and it listed a number of taxes that didn't exist prior to 1900 and concluded something like "what was so wrong then???" Well, maybe nothing was wrong then, but yesterday and today are two different worlds. Think about no running water, no indoor toilets, vigilante justice, no paved roads, no military jets defending our freedom, Homeland Security, etc, etc, etc. Maybe what happened is that we grew up and evolved into the largest superpower in the history of the world - and as a consequence, we have an obligation to the world to help children like these - here at home, and abroad. IMO, we all enjoy the fruits of our labor and we are all able to go boating, travel, dine out, and generally live the American Dream - I know I do. I just feel that all the bitching that goes on on thse boards about taxes, liberals, and government waste (of which there are good and bad liberals, good and bad conservatives, some taxes are good, some bad, and there is some government waste) is selfish. I know I am gonna get kicked in the a$$ on this, but I felt I had to say something. Off my soapbox now. I respect your opinion but couldn’t disagree with it more. The people that made this country great made it that way by working hard for their families and themselves. I do not feel any obligation to help anyone that I do not choose to. I guess that is our major difference you believe that I am obligated to use my money to help people and I believe that I am entitled to decide where my money goes.
What goes on in the rest of the world is very sad. I have been to many third world countries and have seen it first hand. Giving money is not the answer. The people of that country need to work together to make it a better place for themselves and their children. Handouts don’t work.
This is not a flame as I respect your opinion I just don’t agree with it.

summerlove
09-12-2003, 04:01 PM
Miller:
I appreciate that very much. I do have one comment, however, and that is that we need to help those at home that are not in a poisition to do it for themselves. Everyone needs a license to drive, you need to register to vote, but you don't need anything to have a kid. There are just so many kids out there that are so less fortunate than we are that they need to be accounted for - I do agree 100% with you regarding what made this country great - it was/is the hard work and determination of the American people as well as their compassion to others less fortunate. That's all I'm saying - we all (including me) need to realize that those kids in Cambodia are no different than the crack babies in the Chicago projects. Without action, those kids will cost us a whole lot more down the road in prisons, health centers, etc. Actually, I agree with you more than you think!

OGShocker
09-12-2003, 04:33 PM
summerlove:
I know I am gonna get kicked in the a$$ on this, but I felt I had to say something. Off my soapbox now. Why can't I find my boots when I REALLY need them? :D

summerlove
09-12-2003, 05:14 PM
OGShocker:
summerlove:
I know I am gonna get kicked in the a$$ on this, but I felt I had to say something. Off my soapbox now. Why can't I find my boots when I REALLY need them? :D HA! I knew I'd hear from you on this!
I'm just misunderstood wink
I'm actually VERY conservative in my home, work, and private life...

MJ19
09-12-2003, 06:15 PM
[ September 12, 2003, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: MJ19 ]

miller19j
09-12-2003, 06:17 PM
summerlove:
Miller:
I appreciate that very much. I do have one comment, however, and that is that we need to help those at home that are not in a poisition to do it for themselves. Everyone needs a license to drive, you need to register to vote, but you don't need anything to have a kid. There are just so many kids out there that are so less fortunate than we are that they need to be accounted for - I do agree 100% with you regarding what made this country great - it was/is the hard work and determination of the American people as well as their compassion to others less fortunate. That's all I'm saying - we all (including me) need to realize that those kids in Cambodia are no different than the crack babies in the Chicago projects. Without action, those kids will cost us a whole lot more down the road in prisons, health centers, etc. Actually, I agree with you more than you think! I agree something needs to be done to help the children in our country. It appalls me that our society in general does not take responsibility for themselves or their action. I think parents need to take responsibility for their children not the government. People that can not take care of a child should not bring one into the world. It is not my responsibility to take care of some crack heads children. I know it is not the child’s fault. We need to get to the root of the problem and that is people are not having to take responsibility for their actions. Social Welfare programs are a failure because they are just handouts and that simply does not work.
If you tie a child’s shoe they will be fine until tomorrow when they need their shoe tied again. But if you teach them to tie their shoe the will be able to do it themselves from then on. So why do we just give handouts for welfare instead of teaching people trades and helping them find work? I would be more willing to support programs that taught people how to work than just to give them money.
PS I am posting on my wifes computer so I accidently posted under her user name above. Please don't flame her for my oppinion.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-12-2003, 07:33 PM
summerlove:
I'm actually VERY conservative in my home, work, and private life... I am a firm believer that most people are like this.