PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Polishers??

Coach
04-02-2003, 12:09 PM
What speed would anyone recomend for a polisher for my gel coat? I am looking at Harbor Freight and they have a polisher that works at 2800 or 3300 rpm for $49.95, and I see others that are not as fast. I know you have to be careful using the faster polishers but would that speed be the way to go for my final steps of cleaning the boat? Does anyone use the foam pads for the final steps?

rrrr
04-02-2003, 12:42 PM
I bought a DeWalt DW849 polisher, $180 is the best price you'll find. It has about 10 different speed settings. I use a wool pad for compound, and the foam for polishing and wax. Buy the pads with a velcro attachment, it makes it a lot easier.
The DeWalt is more expensive than the Chinese brand, but worth it.
The good stuff for polishing is 3M Finesse. I think I ran it between 1800 and 2400 RPM.
[ April 02, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: rrrr ]

al cole'holic
04-02-2003, 12:49 PM
I get scared using anything other than me hands...anyone else??

mbrown2
04-02-2003, 12:50 PM
Agree 100%, and I am not going to learn on my gel...anyone have a Jetski, I can learn to buff/polish on? :)

Just Tool'n
04-02-2003, 12:57 PM
all of the detailers I see in the business buy electric polishers with a controlable rev limited. The unit we are selling has adjustable from 1000-3000 RPM. When talking to the pros's I know they turn them slow so as not to burn the paint.
Just giving you 18 years of tools sales experiance.

HCS
04-02-2003, 12:59 PM
I give it a hand job.

al cole'holic
04-02-2003, 01:00 PM
mbrown2:
Agree 100%, and I am not going to learn on my gel...anyone have a Jetski, I can learn to buff/polish on? :) ...exactly
:D

Jbb
04-02-2003, 01:00 PM
Compared to paint gelcoat is thick ..but you can burn through..It depends on the condition of the gel
Finesse it products from 3m work well on light oxidation ...sometimes you have to bump up to imperial microfinishing compound or even super duty. Wool works best for heavier oxidation and foam is ...in my opinion always best for glazing ...The best glaze I have ever used is made in england and is available here its called Farecla G-10 ....It removes swirls best ....I use a makita buffer at about 1800- 2200 rpm ..

uvindex
04-02-2003, 01:09 PM
I've always waxed everything by hand, for the reasons you guys mentioned. I think I might try going with an orbital buffer next time... Mequiar's, whom I respect for knowing their stuff in this department, says this on their website (www.meguiars.com):
Is hand vs. Machine better?
While hand application of surface preps, polishes and waxes achieves brilliant results, professional detailers prefer a power buffer for some very good reasons. Machine application:
Is nearly twice as fast as by hand.
Is much less fatiguing to your arms and back.
Applies a thinner coat that's easier to wipe away.
Spreads product more evenly, for a more uniform gloss.
Uses less product, for greater economy.
Cleans deeper and removes oxidation more thoroughly.
Does a more complete job of hiding swirl marks.
Works more polishing oils into the surface, for an even glossier sheen.
Either of the two power buffers Meguiar's offers will give you an impressive finish, without any risk of burning your paint--even if you've never used a buffer before. And for expert advice on getting the most from a machine, we invite you to check out the online buffer clinic.
Orbital buffer vs. rotary buffer?
A good orbital buffer should last many years. It's specially designed to run in an eccentric circular motion. This safe, random pattern doesn't apply torque to the surface, and assures the buffer never concentrates its energy in one spot, unlike your hand or a regular rotary buffer.
If you use a rotary buffer and are not skilled in its use, you can easily apply too much pressure to the paint and burn right through it, requiring a new paint job. For the same reason, do not use buffers that are attached to power drills.

al cole'holic
04-02-2003, 01:24 PM
If it takes you longer than an hour to wax your boat than you are using too much wax. It takes me about 30-40 minutes to wax my boat, this does not include the wash of course...

Tom Brown
04-02-2003, 02:01 PM
http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/icons/icon13.gif http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/icons/icon14.gif
smile_sp
Icon test...
[ April 02, 2003, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

Tom Brown
04-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Oh ya, I think the Makita 9227C polisher and Farecla G-3 & G-10 (super fine) work great. :)