PDA

View Full Version : HP Vs. Youth -UPDATE

Her454
02-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Dropped my daughter off at school yesterday and one of her friends who just turned 16 rolled up in a SWEET "Blown" 69 Nova FULL of teens. Now I love the classics, AND all the HP I can get...but we live in a small community in the mountains. Lots of teens lost on the dangerous roads. I was just wondering what the general opinion is out there...at 15 I give my daughter experience behind the wheel every chance I get, the car, the 4 Wheel drive, and she handles both Jets and Flats very well and isn't afraid of the horsepower. BUT, I would NEVER unleash a 16 year old behind the wheel of a Blown motor under these circumstances. Am I the only one who feels this way and I being over-protective? :confused:
[ March 10, 2003, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Her454 ]

24RODjr
02-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Let's see...
Teaching her responsibility, and not spoiling her rotten...sounds like good parenting to me.
:D

Havasu Hangin'
02-06-2003, 01:32 PM
10HP per year...by 20, she should have 200...
Oh shit...I should be driving a Top Fueler...

Blown 472
02-06-2003, 01:35 PM
It is kinda like anything, I have guns in the house and my son was taught they are not toys you dont touch them unless I am with you, same goes for horsepower, teach them to respect it and no problem.

Liberator TJ1984
02-06-2003, 01:37 PM
Nope I feel the same ..been in a bad enough situations with "stock" HP in older Cameros,Firebirds and Mustangs growing up and totalling all of them luckily not hurting myself or others...hate to think what I could have done back then knowing what I know now eek! the thing that scared me the most was running flat out in the camero( hopped up ) and got too much air?? under the car and it started spinning out of control,luckily it stayed on the blacktop on a straight stretch and came to a stop blowing out 2 tires dead cenetr in the highway...could have been waaaayyy bad....

Her454
02-06-2003, 01:46 PM
I thought I was nutts after I voiced my opinion and told my daughter to STAY OUT of that car and not take any rides home and one of the dads told me I was "overreacting". I told him I didnt want to be ID'ing my daughter at the morgue and no matter how "responsible" the kid was, he's still a teen, with too much HP under the hood. Actually I dont think the kid is supposed to haul anyone until he's had his license a certain amount of time anyway?

Mandelon
02-06-2003, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't be in favor of it for my kids....Too much temptation to get crazy. As long as I am contributing to my kids support they will get sensible vehicles, like a pick up or a 64 Dodge Dart! They're only 7 and 9 now but the years are sure going fast!!

Blown 472
02-06-2003, 01:47 PM
Mandelon:
I wouldn't be in favor of it for my kids....Too much temptation to get crazy. As long as I am contributing to my kids support they will get sensible vehicles, like a pick up or a 64 Dodge Dart! They're only 7 and 9 now but the years are sure going fast!! I want a 64 dodge dart, I will be good daddy.

Skaterfast
02-06-2003, 02:35 PM
First of all your not over reacting.I will bet that if the kid has a hot rod like that he definitely knows what beer tastes like.
Long story short.Dad bought me a 69 Big Block Camaro at the age of 15 1/2.Made it nice.About a year later with 4 or 5 beers in me I had that car wrapped around a palm tree.BTW 20 years later I still have that car and am puting a new MSD ignition in it this weekend.

Jungle Boy
02-06-2003, 02:35 PM
My daughter has a group of friends that are into trucks. One of them has rolled his truck while climbing a pile dirt in a new development area in town. One girl took 15 stiches in her face and he hurt his leg. My kid was at home at the time, thank god. He had the nerve (or stupidity) to laugh about wrecking his truck to me. I told him that if he ever hurts my daughter I'll maim him. I worry alot about the kids driving around in there little shit can cars and 4x4´s. At least in my day, when you were heading for a tree, it sheared off because we had big cars. Now people are killed in them little hunks of shit. All for 40 MPG. I'd rather pay more for gas and have some iron around me or her. My 2 cents.

68campbell
02-06-2003, 02:42 PM
I agree with you, at 17 I got a 69 el camino with a built 454 in it. Took only two weeks to wreck it

miller19j
02-06-2003, 02:43 PM
I don’t think that you are over reacting. Think about it if you were in that car would you use that horsepower? Yes you would, and that is fine you are an adult with years of driving experience and the judgment that goes with it. Now this kid is a new driver and does not have the judgment needed to handle a machine like that. It is an accident waiting to happen.
You may be a strict parent. But it just means that you care. If more parents thought about their kids welfare like you do, the world would be a safer place.
[ February 06, 2003, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: miller19j ]

Back To Havasu
02-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Bad things can happen to good kids. Even kids with good judgment can make a wrong choice, (so can adults). Why would you take the risk of such a high price to pay for one youthful mistake. My son was driving an outboard tunnel boat, and driving it very well before he was old enough for a driver's license. Still, I was relieved when he wanted a pick-up instead of a car. Figured with all the yahoos out there, if somebody ran into him, he would have a fighting chance. Bought him a 3/4 ton, and when some lady from a foreign country ran into him in the rear of his truck (and sued us - he was legally stopped at a stop sign at impact), he was fine, and I was never happier about buying that truck. Sorry for the long diatribe, but the point is, if you can interest your child in something that is going to protect in a traffic collision, you are going to worry somewhat less.

Infomaniac
02-06-2003, 02:51 PM
Maybe dad was smart enough to build it with a throttle stop or some other de tune device.

Seadog
02-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Most states do not allow kids to drive kids and for good reason. I drove a 62 Galaxie with a 352, nicknamed the tank and thankfully it earned its name. If a kid spends 2-3 years building a rod and is very responsible, he might be responsible to haul other kids at 18, but he needs experience for a couple years.

Her454
02-06-2003, 04:19 PM
Jungle Boy:
I'd rather pay more for gas and have some iron around me or her. My 2 cents. In my original post I stated that she has experience with the 4x4 and its my blazer thats been lifted and 36' tires on it. I give her this experience because it just takes once for those tires to grab and pull her off and cause her to overcorrect and roll (typical for around here). Its not alot of HP but safer than the smaller cars if she does wreck. There are pro's and cons to both. She gets her license soon and Im sure my sleep will cease at that time. :( Thanks for all the responses and the support. :D

mbrown2
02-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Why give all that HP to a kid? it is stupid to give a kid something in excess. As for the examples of kids respecting cars; those kids are the exception and not the rule....kids and their characters can probably be charted on a Bell Curve, so you need to get them a car that falls in the middle..not too slow/small...not too fast/big...Pick one that falls in the middle medium speed and safe. A car that is too slow and small is just as unsafe, as one that is too big and fast.

Sleek-Jet
02-06-2003, 05:09 PM
It's an old cliche, but judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from lack of judgement. I had a little nissan sedan as my first car, a gift from my grandparents. It was an underpowered POS, but my friend and I would whip the snot out of that car. One day I cruised past the turn to my house. No problem, just flip a bitch and be on my way. About half way around, the other car hit me just in front of the driver side tire. Broke my car in two pieces, and sent two little old ladys to the hospital, not good. I've since moved on to big block cars and trucks, hot jet boats, and I own my own airplane. Unfortunatly, it was the hardest lesson I could have learned behind the wheel.
Every time I think of doing something a little crazy, I think of that broken nissan. frown

Unchained
02-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Her454:
..but we live in a small community in the mountains. Lots of teens lost on the dangerous roads. :confused: When I was visiting a friend in northern Ca. (Garberville) in May 2001 there was a wierd local thing where someone was drawing an outline of a body in the middle of the road on some dangerous curves. We must have seen 20 or 30 of them. Any of that around your area?

burbanite
02-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Ms 454,
as the parent you have the right to be as strict as you wish, you are, after all doing it out of love (you may or may not be thanked for it later). First and foremost you are her mother, friends she already has.
We do all we can to protect our children and sometimes that means pissing them off, so be it. I have a 17 year old daughter who drives her own car and a 15 year old who just got her permit. I sure as hell think about the what could happen every time they drive away but I know I cannot do anything other than help them make good decisions.
You are well within your rights to keep her away from something that gives you an uneasy feeling regardless of whether it is popular or not, I try to keep my girls away from people who bear any resemblance of me when I was young.... :D

CA Stu
02-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Anyone's first car will get crashed. Period.
Everything is a situation. If you put as youngster in control of 400 horsepower, bad things can happen and probably will. Give them a sensible car, bad things can still happen, but not quite as severe and not quite as likely I reckon. Avoiding the situation is a good idea.
My son's first car (in about 8 yrs) will be a Baja Bug with a 1200 and an 8 point roll cage. I may even yank one of the spark plug wires.
Good luck
CA Stu

Her454
02-06-2003, 05:26 PM
Unchained:
in May 2001 there was a wierd local thing where someone was drawing an outline of a body in the middle of the road on some dangerous curves. We must have seen 20 or 30 of them. Any of that around your area? They do it occasionally to slow the kids down "after" a nasty wreck, but it wears off and kids start driving like kids again until another one gets hurt. Its a mountain thing I guess. :(
When I was a kid, in High School if we had a bad wreck, sometimes they would tow the vehicle to the school and let it sit as a reminder for awhile.
[ February 06, 2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Her454 ]

Her454
02-06-2003, 05:30 PM
CA Stu:
I may even yank one of the spark plug wires.
Good luck
CA Stu LMAO !

Ziggy
02-06-2003, 05:36 PM
I'm a car dealer and I've seen many parents buy their kids fast cars for 16th B'days and such. Most regret it by the time a month has past and some unfortuntely have never been the same again. You're being a great parent by telling her not to go in it, she may be pissed at you but at least you get to see her pissed at you rather than sobbing over a casket. She can admire the car as much as she wants from the outside.

Bense468
02-06-2003, 05:48 PM
I have to put in my 2 cents on this one because I was the kid with HP. When I was 14 I bought my 67 camaro. I built the whole thing with my pops. Every day after school I was out there. I worked as much as I could on weekends, nights whatever to get the best shit on that camaro I could afford. I had every nut and bolt on the whole car replaced. Everything was powdercoated, chromed, or polished. It had a little bad ass stroker small block and used to shake at idle. The kind of car you had to turn off at the drive throughs. This was my dream car. Anyway the point is that it took 3 1/2 years of building to get everything right before it hit the street. I learned not to F around in that car and respect it. It took my hard earned blood, sweat, and tears. Along with my dads time also. That was the last car I was going to wreck. When we would go f around being young it was never in my car. Don't get me wrong I did have my races but never with anyone in it with me.I did have my accidents and some bad ones but they were never in that camaro. This is what got me to where I am today with the boats and what not. I am 23 now and still alive and very much miss my car.
So don't think that just because it is blown and crazy that the kid is stupid. Get to know him. I think if I had a daughter that had that friend, I would get to know him before she stepped in that car with my consent. Talk to his dad. Did they just buy it or build it. Did they build it together. I would much rather her be in a car with someone that has respect for his shit, then some yahoo punk kid with a honda any day. Becuase you die in those little pos cars, that put you into the trees at 120 because some kid thinks he can take corners in his lowered rice rocket. I agree with jungle boy 100%.
[ February 06, 2003, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Bense468 ]

beyondhelpin
02-06-2003, 06:00 PM
My 14 year old daughter has told what cars she likes and it always seems to be a fast sports car (big suprise) . I told her she will get a 73 Oldsmoble Vista Wagon. You know, the kind with the viewing windows at the top front of the roof. I wonder if you can still get those with simulated wood sides?! Im thinking with a battle wagon like that she will have less chance getting hurt in a crash.
She tells me I am funny. Im not to sure im joking!
Public Notice: She will be driving in 2 more years.

Bense468
02-06-2003, 06:01 PM
Oh and just to add another thing. Out here I see these 16 yeah old kids drive bmw's and what not. Mommy and daddy buy them this, They wreck it all to hell and a month later they have another one. What is that teaching your kid.

Eric455
02-06-2003, 06:14 PM
okay, my parents can't really aford a car for my 17 year old brother!!! so he comes to me and tells me this " Eric, i want a car, i know that mom&dad can't afford it right now, but i really want one." i ask him, why? he says " cuz everyone in school who has a licence, has a car" i have not told my parents about this situation yet. but how do i tell them. see the part that gets me most, is that at least he understands the financial sittuation in the house hold and doesnt bitch about it. but i feel bad too. i feel bad that i cant do anything about it. so i tell him you can drive my car to school. so he does and my parents tell me why do you let him take a braand new car to school? what if he crashes it? and i really dont want to argue about the situation cuz i know where still gonna end up talking about how we cant aford it yet.... so he gets mad, and takes my Brother-inlaws camero to school. THAT THING HAS WAY OVER 500 hp, being the car it is, "it scares the s**t out of me." since i'm only 20 and not yet a parent i really dont know what to do with this situation....
input will be very helpfull
thanx
eric

Ziggy
02-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Bense468:
Oh and just to add another thing. Out here I see these 16 yeah old kids drive bmw's and what not. Mommy and daddy buy them this, They wreck it all to hell and a month later they have another one. What is that teaching your kid. .
That's exactly what I'm talkin' about. The kids have no respect for their cars unless they themselves had to sweat for it. Only then do they begin to treat it right. My older son learned it the hard way too, and at 20 he's still learning. I'm just glad he's still around even though he "F'd" up....lucky to have the man upstairs on your side.

CA Stu
02-06-2003, 06:25 PM
Bense468:
I am 23 now I am 36.
Do you think a 10 yr old would have a more enlightened view on this suject than you do?
CA Stu
PS Not baggin' bro, I crashed my 5.0 Mustang and ate the windshield when I was about your age. After I rolled in 5 different vehicles. I was only driving 4 of them. Sonny. wink

sandblasted
02-06-2003, 06:35 PM
About a month or 2 ago out here in the Antelope Valley a Mustang GT with a bunch of kids in it lost control and hit a power pole at 100mph...I think everyone but the driver died...
Now there's a nice little memorial with flowers and car parts on it by the road..I'd hate for it to be my kids....or anyones kids for that matter..
but you don't need a 300hp v-8 to get in trouble..Plenty of kids wrap their little 4 banger Hondas around trees every year..unfortunetly some kids won't learn until they make that mistake, hopefully no one dies when it happens.

Her454
02-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Just to clarify....I could care less if she's pissed at me (and she is) for not letting her ride in the car. My question was regarding the adults lack of concern or disregard for the potential harm? I just didnt get it. AND, I do know the kid somewhat, good kid but spoiled rotten. Parents are divorced and the dad bought him the car. He pretty much does what he pleases at 16. Not a good combination in my opinion, period.

Duke
02-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Bense468:
So don't think that just because it is blown and crazy that the kid is stupid. Get to know him. I think if I had a daughter that had that friend, I would get to know him before she stepped in that car with my consent. Talk to his dad. Did they just buy it or build it. Did they build it together. I would much rather her be in a car with someone that has respect for his shit, then some yahoo punk kid with a honda any day. Becuase you die in those little pos cars, that put you into the trees at 120 because some kid thinks he can take corners in his lowered rice rocket. I agree with jungle boy 100%. i take right turns at 140 in my pos civic
other then that, me being a youngster, i'd have to say its all about the kid driving the car.
i have lots of friends that DONT f around in their big block high hp monsters or their/ my Peice of Sh1t honda/small car. and i know some people that have gone through about 4-5 cars already(both fast and slow/small cars)
and dont think a big 4x4 truck is gonna keep them safe!
One of my friends thought his 4x4 jeep was unstopable becouse he had tookin it off-road a couple of times. He use to do donuts in it and little things like that. Next thing i know he got hit by his best friend going 40-50 in a 25 mph RESIDENTIAL area. Both cars full of teens (me included) We t-boned him because he tried to stop at the stop sign and the driver of our car didnt want/think to stop. we were in a toyota 4runner one of the "bigger" cars
1 Girl had a concussion
another girl got bruised up thats all
jeep got totaled and he's in a blazer 2wd now, doesnt try any of that "off-raod" stuff anymore
sorry for the long post

Ziggy
02-06-2003, 06:53 PM
Her454:
Just to clarify....I could care less if she's pissed at me (and she is) for not letting her ride in the car. My question was regarding the adults lack of concern or disregard for the potential harm? I just didnt get it. AND, I do know the kid somewhat, good kid but spoiled rotten. Parents are divorced and the dad bought him the car. He pretty much does what he pleases at 16. Not a good combination in my opinion, period. .
You're doing the right thing..period. The parent you speak of probably wants the car for himself plus someone not directly involved in the situation will make "kneejerk" comments without regard to what is at stake to begin with. Those people are best ignored.
I'm a parent with a car dealership so what do you think my kids expected? New BMW's of course but they got something quite different. Road manners and self control take many years to nurture. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, keep your daughter out of that car. I've seen the situation before in my lifetime and the result was horrific.

Mohavekid
02-06-2003, 06:54 PM
As a parent, you have the responsibility of protecting your childrenfrom themselves and others. It's a responsibility far too many parents do not take seriously.
If this car and/or this kid make you nervous, explain your position and your reasoning to her. She'll understand. She may not like it, but at least she'll understand why.
That being said, kids in a car of any type can get in enough trouble to do serious damage.
It's not just the hot rodders. It all depends on how responsible the owner/driver is. Hopefully their parents have instilled the proper respect for machinery and the damage that can be done, even at slow speeds.
Now to your original point. Whether this kid should drive this car is dependent upon on his maturity and responsibility level. That's a determination only his parents can make. Hopefully the parents did their job.
[ February 06, 2003, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Mohavekid ]

HILDY
02-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Error on the side of caution. My daughter had 2 accidents in 6 mos. when we let her drive. It sure gets expensive. There is no substitute for experience.

Mrs Big Boy Toys
02-06-2003, 07:58 PM
I let our 13 year old buy a 77 Pontiac Fire Bird formula.He had worked and saved his money and His father talked him into buying it( :D ) over a DJ system. This way he had something to show for all his saving. I know in a month or so he will get tired of it like he does everything else and we will buy it off of him.
Nice car.....I like driving it... wink

NEW 2 RIVER
02-06-2003, 08:16 PM
I think it is safe to assume that a small percent of kids that get behind the wheel of a car of that magnitude have respect for its power and what it takes to stop it.And a large number really dont care or know.I intend to play it safe and assume the driver is of the latter group.And as someone else said if he has a car like that then he probably knows what beer is. :D
When my girls are 16 they only car there getting in is the car dad gives em. wink

02-06-2003, 10:34 PM
Like handing a loaded .357 to a 5 year old.

Duke
02-07-2003, 12:18 AM
058:
Like handing a loaded .357 to a 5 year old. that came out of left field!?
:cool:

Ian
02-07-2003, 10:08 AM
I'm pretty young so I remember what it's like to be 16 with HP. When I was in high school all my buddies and I had fast cars and we went to the street races all the time (I never raced for fear of getting arrested) and the majority of the accidents I saw were kids in imports. It seems to me kids with American Muscle cars typically have more respect for their cars because they spend a lot of time working on them. I think to say someone is a bad parent because they put their kid in a hot rod is unfair, it is like anything else you need to teach your children respect for the car and punish them if they abuse their privilege. I started off in a bug but quickly moved into a supercharged mustang that would smoke the tires in third gear, I never got a ticket in that car and I have never got in accident. I credit a lot of my experience behind the wheel to my days racing around in go-karts (I still do that by the way wink ) I know when I have kids I'm going get them into go-karts young, that way they will know how to steer into a slide before they even hit 16

78Eliminator
02-07-2003, 11:09 AM
Her454:
Just to clarify....I could care less if she's pissed at me (and she is) for not letting her ride in the car. That's what being a good parent is all about. You are smarter and wiser. She's upset because she thinks you violate her freedom but that simply doesn't matter. You're that parent, and you have the brains. My first car was a 84 5.0 Mustang GT H.O. (came with the big 750 holley). I have no idea how I never killed myself in that thing (makes you think that guardian angels exist and mine must be tired as hell). My dad handed me the keys and just kinda told me to go teach myself how to drive it....

Seadog
02-07-2003, 11:28 AM
About three years ago, my wife and I get a frantic call late in the evening. Precious 16 year old daughter had an accident not a mile from us. We got the kids while they went to the hospital. She is still undergoing periodic plastic surgery to restore her face. What happened was that she was going up the road at night and failed to notice the flat bed truck stopped to make a left turn. She's alive because the Honda jammed under the spare and the bed did not go all the way into the windshield. The parents keep saying that she is a good driver and the lights must not have been working on the truck. The HiPo checked everything an the lights were on and she just didn't see them. Daughter is a nice, but lazy brat and still has not learned how to survive in the world. We had just replaced the clutch in that Honda a few weeks before the accident. Dad says that for using my shop and tools (not to mention labor), she would clean and put away my tools. When I told her how I wanted them cleaned and put away properly, she ran to mother saying I was being difficult. Mother spent weeks treating me like a a**h***. Kids have to learn that life is not fair and that they have to learn to walk before they can run in the olympics.

Her454
02-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Seadog:
When I told her how I wanted them cleaned and put away properly, she ran to mother saying I was being difficult. Mother spent weeks treating me like a a**h***. Happy to hear she lived thru it but sad to hear there is friction and disagreement with the discipline part. Being a single mom is HARD, but dealing with a spouse over how to discipline and then not being in agreement and consistent sends mixed messages.
frown

Bense468
02-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Ian:
I'm pretty young so I remember what it's like to be 16 with HP. When I was in high school all my buddies and I had fast cars and we went to the street races all the time (I never raced for fear of getting arrested) and the majority of the accidents I saw were kids in imports. It seems to me kids with American Muscle cars typically have more respect for their cars because they spend a lot of time working on them. I think to say someone is a bad parent because they put their kid in a hot rod is unfair, it is like anything else you need to teach your children respect for the car and punish them if they abuse their privilege. I started off in a bug but quickly moved into a supercharged mustang that would smoke the tires in third gear, I never got a ticket in that car and I have never got in accident. I credit a lot of my experience behind the wheel to my days racing around in go-karts (I still do that by the way wink ) I know when I have kids I'm going get them into go-karts young, that way they will know how to steer into a slide before they even hit 16 Amen to that

Bense468
02-07-2003, 07:27 PM
CA Stu:
Bense468:
I am 23 now I am 36.
Do you think a 10 yr old would have a more enlightened view on this suject than you do?
CA Stu
PS Not baggin' bro, I crashed my 5.0 Mustang and ate the windshield when I was about your age. After I rolled in 5 different vehicles. I was only driving 4 of them. Sonny. wink What are you trying to say? That because I am 23 you are more experienced at 36. Unfortunally it does not always work that way. I have been around this stuff all my life. I know certian people that are older that I am afraid to walk down the same street with, let alone drive with and vice versa. Its all about experience and how you were brought up. I ran a 10 second small block for a few years. Sold it when i first turned 18 to buy my boat and dirt bike.

Bense468
02-07-2003, 07:29 PM
Her454:
Just to clarify....I could care less if she's pissed at me (and she is) for not letting her ride in the car. My question was regarding the adults lack of concern or disregard for the potential harm? I just didnt get it. AND, I do know the kid somewhat, good kid but spoiled rotten. Parents are divorced and the dad bought him the car. He pretty much does what he pleases at 16. Not a good combination in my opinion, period. You just answered your own question then.

Seadog
02-07-2003, 07:40 PM
What got me about the whole thing is that I never like anyone to put away my tools because I like to make sure everything is in its place. Dad insisted that it was good for her to do the cleanup. I don't worry about him, as he is always being berated by his wife, but I don't put up with it.

DUCKY
02-07-2003, 08:52 PM
I am young, so this may sound strange, but a kid has NO BUSINESS in control of that much power unless they built it on their own with their own money. That is the only way to teach respect for something. If Dad bought him that '69 Nova with an I-6 and P-Glide, and the kid built it, fine. But otherwise, no friggin way! Other teens have a way of firing up one's ego, and that's when it gets dangerous. It's all about the peer pressure.

fatalbert
02-07-2003, 08:55 PM
Wouldn't trust most youth today with my kids, with a blown nova. I know what and how I drove.
But being a farm boy, I started driving the feed truck at age 5. Driving trucks, heavy equipment, etc., at age 14, and yes, licensed (agricultural permit) to drive on state highways.
Grew up driving 1965 GTO, 389, 1968 Chevelle, 350, 1971 Monte Carlo, 350, 1972 Nova, 350, etc., built the motors, painted, worked on every weekend. Respect and responsibility existed at that time (not that I was real good at it), and I just don't see it today. I also see a complete lack of fear, or really, the realization of what can happen when things go wrong.
So, no, I wouldn't let me girls get in that car with a 16 year today.
I know what I will "try" and teach my girls, now 11, 9, and 6, before they get to the tenn years. At least today, they still say "dad rocks". I hope I can teach them a few more things before they ignore me.
srs

Her454
03-10-2003, 08:50 PM
Im posting this with mixed emotion. Found out tonight that he wrapped the Nova around an Oak tree this weekend. Had a few passengers, but there were only minor injuries. Dont know all the details except that speed was a major factor. I DO know I am glad they are all ok, and Im so very glad that I followed my maternal instinct and did NOT allow my daughter in that car. I even got a hug and a kiss from her tonight and it made me cry.

Mandelon
03-10-2003, 08:55 PM
It so cool to be right! Score one for Mom!!! :cool: :cool:

77charger
03-10-2003, 08:59 PM
good no one got hurt bad but it looks like that might be the end of the supercharger for a while

JetBoatRich
03-10-2003, 09:01 PM
I guess the main thing is everyone is OK, to bad lessons have to be learned this way.

Oldsquirt
03-10-2003, 09:02 PM
It's good to hear your daughter learned a very important lesson without putting herself at risk. Hopefully the parents of the kids involved will learn that same lesson. Glad no one was hurt.

Kindsvater Flat
03-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Her454:
Im posting this with mixed emotion. Found out tonight that he wrapped the Nova around an Oak tree this weekend. Had a few passengers, but there were only minor injuries. Dont know all the details except that speed was a major factor. I DO know I am glad they are all ok, and Im so very glad that I followed my maternal instinct and did NOT allow my daughter in that car. I even got a hug and a kiss from her tonight and it made me cry. Right on!! It makes you really happy when you make the right choices. Even if its your daughters friends. It those choices that makes your child realize that you DO know what your talking about.

Ian
03-10-2003, 11:08 PM
This reminds me of a great story. A few years back at the Kings River a bunch of us were getting ready to cruise up river; as I hopped in my buddies boat my mom stopped me and said "I don't want you going in that boat."
This really shocked me, and pissed off the driver of the boat because we have known this guy forever and I consider him a great driver (along with the stoker outboard I was getting in he owns a Top alcohol flat). When I asked my mom what's up, her reply was "I just don't feel comfortable with you driving in his boat."
Well I was pissed (all the girls were going in that boat) but I listened to her and jumped in another boat. On the way up river the guy I was supposed to ride with passed us at about 40mph when all of a sudden his boat hooked hard right and crashed onto the rock shore. A few of the girls were thrown into the water, one right in front of our boat, the driver threw the boat in reverse and was able to stop about 5ft short of running her over. Everyone was fine except for some bumps and bruises, but who knows what would have happened had I been in the boat. The crash was of no fault of the driver, a seal went out on the steering causing him to loose total control. Needless to say I am firm believer of moms intuition.

03-10-2003, 11:56 PM
Her454:
Im posting this with mixed emotion. Found out tonight that he wrapped the Nova around an Oak tree this weekend. Had a few passengers, but there were only minor injuries. Dont know all the details except that speed was a major factor. I DO know I am glad they are all ok, and Im so very glad that I followed my maternal instinct and did NOT allow my daughter in that car. I even got a hug and a kiss from her tonight and it made me cry. A perfect example of "Mom knows best" glad nobody was seriously hurt. I stand by my statement of "....like handing a loaded .357 to a 5 year old." A 16 year old should not be allowed to drive a blown Nova or anything else with that kind of horsepower...period! Nuff said!