PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop Question...

Wet Dream
01-31-2003, 12:33 PM
How do you isolate an image and delete the background? I'm trying to use just the boats and get rid of the background. Can anyone help with the Adobe??

STV_Keith
01-31-2003, 12:48 PM
You'll have to draw a mask around what you want to keep and cut/copy it to a new image, or you can draw a mask around what you don't want and delete it. The second method is what I use.
Start with the magic wand, set it to 25% and click on the area you want to delete. Once it's all selected, click delete and it will remove it and reveal your selected background color (easiest to select white).

572Daytona
01-31-2003, 12:50 PM
The technique is called masking and can be simple if the object is against a solid color backround to very complex if there are a lot of details and colors in the picture. If the backround is all one color, simply use the magic wand tool to select the backround then invert the mask. For more complex stuff, there are a variety of techniques and even addon filters you can by for Photoshop. Do a search in yahoo for photoshop masking tutorial and you should find some stuff to get you started.

Wet Dream
01-31-2003, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys. There is lot to learn about this program. Unfortunately, when I do something, I make progress, but then I lose myself and forget what the hell it was that I did to get me there in the first place. :rolleyes: Yesterday, I croped a section and saved it, but it replaced the only copy I had of that boat. It was an action shot of course.

572Daytona
01-31-2003, 01:48 PM
Wet Dream:
Thanks guys. There is lot to learn about this program. Unfortunately, when I do something, I make progress, but then I lose myself and forget what the hell it was that I did to get me there in the first place. :rolleyes: Yesterday, I croped a section and saved it, but it replaced the only copy I had of that boat. It was an action shot of course. Sigh...that sucks, I've done stuff like that before too. One of the first things I do know when I open a picture is immediately save it to a different name or directory, that will help prevent you from overlaying the original. I also burn my digital camera pictures to a CD every now and then so I have a backup just in case.
Photoshop is a very complex program, I've been using it since version 3 and I still consider myself a novice user. A lot of times I find it easier to use another program such as Ulead's Photo Impact or Microsoft's Picture It that do a better job of being user friendly to novices.

spectras only
01-31-2003, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wet Dream:
Yesterday, I croped a section and saved it, but it replaced the only copy I had of that boat. Wet dream ,what you have to do is duplicate a layer immediately and work with that before you decide to save anything.Photoshop is a great program ,but like with anything else you have to practice [preferably with a picture with no value wink ]a lot to remember the functions and details.
[ January 31, 2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

68campbell
01-31-2003, 02:30 PM
In Photoshop, go to filter, then extract, then just draw around the portion you want to keep, then select the little paint can looking thing and select what you want to keep (it should turn blue) then hit OK