PDA

View Full Version : I-pod Errors ???????

TOBTEK
03-21-2006, 11:22 AM
A few Questions for the I-POD guru's. 1st when ever I now plug the pod into the computer to update it, im getting a error message that says.. "attempting to copy to the disc "tobys Ipod" failed an unknown error occurred (-69)" and nothing will update. 2nd how do I import songs from a limewire file in ITunes? it wont let me drag and place them im my play lists ???? this stuff baffles me....... Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Get415
03-21-2006, 11:42 AM
go to itunes, click on file, scroll down to "add file to library", click on that. now go to your limewire file and find your songs. highlight the song (one at a time) and click open. it should auto send it to itunes. I cant get into itunes right now but i'm pretty sure thats how it goes. Oh ya, the only problem with this is that if you delete the songs from limewire after you copy to i-tunes, i-tunes recognize the songs and wont play them. Kinda sucks storing them in two places...hope it works

TOBTEK
03-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Try resetting your ipod first. Push and hold the center and then push and hold the UP on the wheel. Hold them both until the Apple logo comes on the screen.
thanks Jon.....I didnt know how to clear the pod. I'll try it when I get home.

TOBTEK
03-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Jon, I tried pushing the center botton then the up bottom at the same time. It still wont clear. Tried holding for a few minutes, and tried just untill the apple logo appeared...NO LUCK. what am I doing wrong?

phebus
03-22-2006, 06:25 AM
I had the same problem. Toggle the lock switch on the top of the iPod on, and then back off. Set the iPod on a hard surface. With your fingernail, push the top position on the click wheel and with another fingernail, push the center button. It is really touchy if you use your fingers, and you get overlap. It should work if you just use your fingernails on the proper positions.

TOBTEK
03-22-2006, 06:52 AM
GREAT..... in the meantime, I got on the tech forum for apple. They were saying its better to take off all programs related to I tunes and the Ipod and then reload the software.....which I did. The good news is that the Ipod is cleared...but now the libary in Itunes is blank, and dont know how to get the libary restored. This tech stuff PISSES me off! I dont get it. Im just gonna get a old school turn table and play 45's and 33's in the boat, screw this digital crap :mad:

phebus
03-22-2006, 07:07 AM
You should be able to find your music folder, and just drag and drop it into itunes.

mbrown2
03-22-2006, 07:20 AM
Sounds like you got the error cleared...As for just dealing with the ipod on daily basis...they key is organization as is with any file system..
Keep the file names of the songs structured in the same fashion...
\my documents\my music\artist\album\filename/songname=artist - song name
Also, complete the song info section in itunes to capture at least song and artist or more if you have it...makes it easier to deal with on the ipod later.
Then keep it backed up on the ipod or better yet a portable hard drive so when you need to rebuid your system, it is a matter of drag/drop.
Also, another key is the use of playlists.....ipods are great if you have playlists...otherwise it is a hunt/peck session by artist thought 5k of songs or more....I have them by genre and year...so it is easy to retrieve the popular mix from 200 whether it be hip hop, alternative or punk....when you create them, make sure you export them in txt or xml format to a folder such as
\my documents\my music\playlist (when you back up you my music folder, the playlist folder will get backed up as well)
Why? Cause your ipod and your computer are going to fail...but after you replace or fix either, it is very easy to just drag/drop your my music folder into your my documents folder and your songs and playlist are back.
Another thing....Unless you are sure you want your ipod to sync'd with the computer always use manual sync'g...know a lot of folks that have wiped ipods when taking their friends ipod and hooking it up to their system. I actually store the songs on the IPOD in Itunes and in the folder structure so I can copy them to any computer I hook the ipod to.
The IPOD is a very proprietary device and it this way to limit the piracy...definitely ways to get around it, but just have to educate yourself with it and keep your stuff organized and backed.