PDA

View Full Version : What drive should I get?

Big Bear
06-14-2003, 05:36 PM
Another question about rigging my new Advantage 28 ft. Victory. I am getting the 496HO and I'm sure alot of you will say to go with at least a HP500, but I do have a plan. Hopefully in a year or so I will be able to add a Whipple charger to it and give me a 75 mph cruiser. An upgrade to the Bravo 1XR is $2500. I am leaning towards this option but the price tag is getting higher and higher. Is it worth it? Would the Bravo 1X that comes standard live with the added HP? I want to do this right the first time!

Phat_Kat
06-14-2003, 05:40 PM
I'm going to go with the flow and say 500. Why? Because it can be a major pain in the nuts to get the engine swapped. Also just get what you want the first time around. It's a few grand more for a considerable boost. Just another note, I don't think you can do an honest 75MPH with anything less than 500 ponies. You're listening to ***boats speed #'s aren't you? Well I have news for you! Those #'s are with one skinny little guy like me and damn near no gas. Real speeds are 5-10MPH slower than what they say. just use that as a guide for boats in the 22-28 ft range.
[ June 14, 2003, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

Phat_Kat
06-14-2003, 05:48 PM
sorry for the double post but just go with a plain old fashion bravo 1. They're real popular for a good reason. I think that IMCO makes an equivilant outdrive that is actually lighter and easier to turn which means less stress on the engine and a little extra giddy up.

TPI
06-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Big Bear,
This is my opinion: In over 8 years of custom boat manufacturing 90%+ of all customers under power a boat because of the total price increase, but you see them pay twice the upgrade cost one year later because they are not happy with the power they chose. As far as the drive goes, That all depends on your right hand(throttle). Are you going to br the holeshot king? Or are you going to roll it on and have big top speed? Holeshot king will spend a lot of $$$ on drives.
My .02
Good Luck
GT

Jrocket
06-14-2003, 09:11 PM
Get the most HP that you can afford,and definately get the XR.Youll be upgrading the drive now or later,might as well do it now.

DogHouse
06-14-2003, 10:15 PM
I would get the XR now so that you're ready for the HP upgrade down the line when you can swing the $$$ for the blower. Much cheaper to pay a little more up front than grenade the Bravo and fix it later. Also cheaper to get the HP up front but we all know that's not always possible! Good luck, sounds like a nice rig in the making.
-brian

Jrocket
06-14-2003, 10:22 PM
DogHouse:
I would get the XR now so that you're ready for the HP upgrade down the line when you can swing the $$$ for the blower. Much cheaper to pay a little more up front than grenade the Bravo and fix it later. Also cheaper to get the HP up front but we all know that's not always possible! Good luck, sounds like a nice rig in the making.
-brian Is there an echo in here?.....LMAO :D just messin with ya Doggy...

Big Bear
06-14-2003, 10:38 PM
Hey Jrocket. Are you a local 12 crane operater like myself? Pleasure to meet you at any rate.

Catmando
06-14-2003, 10:40 PM
You will blow the XR with a Whippled 500 very fast unless you really baby it, meaning NO holeshots, and off the throttle at rentry(you KNOW you're gonna catch some air sooner or later).
I would get the GM Vortec 525, because it's based on the new 496 block. It has closed cooling, which I strongly recommend for the Whipple upgrade. It will also be a better block for the Whipple. But don't take my word for it, ask Dustin. He will guide you right.
For the drive, the IMCO Xtreme, Teague Platinum and Bmax should be considered. Forget about the XR, because you'll be making right at 750HP on the Whipple. It won't stand up to that HP for long.
Or, you can talk to Harold Bruce about his new Dual Jet drive system. No worries about drive failure there. Read the threads here about it. I wish I had the Dual Jet drive on my boat.
My .02

Catmando
06-14-2003, 10:59 PM
One other thing, big ol bear. :D The Whipple makes big torque throughout the powerband, which means strong holeshots. You need a drive that will stand up to that power. The XR is rated to only 600+/-, basically a slightly beefed-up Bravo.
I have a standard Bravo on my boat, but it is very light, only about 2900 lbs. with 110 gals. Your boat will be around 4800-5000 lbs. I think? Weight+HP=dead Bravo. And if my tanks are full, and I have people aboard, I DO NOT do holeshots.

Phat_Kat
06-14-2003, 11:06 PM
Catmando:
One other thing, big ol bear. :D The Whipple makes big torque throughout the powerband, which means strong holeshots. You need a drive that will stand up to that power. The XR is rated to only 600+/-, basically a slightly beefed-up Bravo.
I have a standard Bravo on my boat, but it is very light, only about 2900 lbs. with 110 gals. Your boat will be around 4800-5000 lbs. I think? Weight+HP=dead Bravo. And if my tanks are full, and I have people aboard, I DO NOT do holeshots. Hey catman,
Couldn't he just go with a bravo 1 drive? That wouldn't die on him and they're relatively cheap. That 500 couldn't bust that drive at all right? Also where the hell have you been other than my forum?

Jrocket
06-15-2003, 06:24 AM
Big Bear:
Hey Jrocket. Are you a local 12 crane operater like myself? Pleasure to meet you at any rate. WOW...a fellow 12 brother in here!!!! :D Im an oiler on the Demag 180T,over at Maxim.

Havasu Hangin'
06-15-2003, 06:26 AM
Big Bear:
Pleasure to meet you at any rate. Is that a union rate? http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/1/happy02.gif

Big Bear
06-15-2003, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the input but I have to clear something up. I have to go with what I can afford right now. That means 496HO.I can swing the upgrade to the Bravo XR and probably an Extreme trailer. I have been fantasizing about big HP and killer drives but my budget only goes so far. If I load it up with killer babes nobody will notice
my stock power anyway devil When I'm looking at the the babes adorning the hatch covers of the beautiful boats I've seen, I'm NOT wondering whats under those hatches!!!!! Thanks for your opinions, keep em coming.

Big Bear
06-15-2003, 07:50 AM
Good to meet another local 12 brother crane hand!!! :) I'm currently Working for Kiewit running a 70T hydro. I miss my 275T Krupp but it's not working and if I'm gonna pay for this boat and hopefully many trips to the river I have to, work that is. Hopefully, catch up to you on the water, Bro.

hot_diggity_dog
06-15-2003, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the input but I have to clear something up. I have to go with what I can afford right now. That means 496HO.I can swing the upgrade to the Bravo XR and probably an Extreme trailer. I have been fantasizing about big HP and killer drives but my budget only goes so far. If I load it up with killer babes nobody will notice Big Bear you have the answers now go with it. wink
?. How much horse power= Money
A. Looks like you can afford the 496 done deal. :)
?. I can add more HP late=Money
A. Looks like this is going in down the road.
?. Upgrade out drive= Money
A. Spend your money on things you want right now, not later on down the road.
My boat is 4,000lbs dry, I run a 540CI 650HP (built by Clay Smith) motor and have a stock Bravo I.
Why you ask??
1. Bought the boat with a 350 motor to get the package with a Bravo I out drive. Saved cash
2. I'm going to change the out drive to an IMCO 2" Shorty.
3. The Bravo I out drive has been around for quite some time, and will handle some serious HP if you now how to drive.
3. Like I said before why spend money on things you will need later. That way you will get the latest technology and the pricing tends to go down some. Be Patient and keep upgrading as you get more cash and really need it.
4. There is always going to be about 100 boats out there that are faster.
Get te trailer and a killer stereo system= Chicks
Speed cost HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO :confused:
Hot (Don't want to play fastest boat on the lake) 80MPH Diggity Dog :cool:

bigq
06-15-2003, 11:41 AM
Hate to say it, but I agree with Cat. eek! The GM 525 is the way to go. The HP500 is not worth the it if you are tight on money. You can just use the standard Bravo for now and upgrade with IMCO parts later when you put the whipple on. One more thing, you might need tabs with that hull if you are going over 70 MPH, ask around.

Jrocket
06-15-2003, 12:09 PM
Big Bear:
Good to meet another local 12 brother crane hand!!! :) I'm currently Working for Kiewit running a 70T hydro. I miss my 275T Krupp but it's not working and if I'm gonna pay for this boat and hopefully many trips to the river I have to, work that is. Hopefully, catch up to you on the water, Bro. Sounds good.The San Diego yard took my Demag 180 and now we have a Krupp 175 ton Hydro.Not a bad crane just slow is all.Their all the same to me as long as Im keeping busy.But no crawlers,too much work!!!LOL Well see ya at the river someday...

Stoked
06-15-2003, 01:48 PM
I have news for you! Those #'s are with one skinny little guy like me and damn near no gas. Real speeds are 5-10MPH slower than what they say. just use that as a guide for boats in the 22-28 ft range. [/QB][/QUOTE
Phat-Kat
I have news for you! When HB runs the performance trials they run with plenty of gas, lots of gear and at least 550 pounds of humanity on board, they are big boys. My boat actually runs 4MPH than It did at the trials. The guys are great peaople and do an awsome job.
BTW I would go the extra yard and get the best drive you can afford.

Jrocket
06-15-2003, 01:52 PM
When HB tested my boat it ran 82.7.I have run the best of 82.8 with 2 people and full tanks(100g) of gas and coolers in the boat at Elsinore on a hot nasty day.Im happy with it...

James'SS-24
06-15-2003, 02:32 PM
Sounds like you're on the right track to me! That's what I did when I bought my HTM. Bought all the power I could afford, (which was a 496 mag) and have since upgraded with nose cone, external steering and the Whipple charger. My stock Bravo is holding up fine but I'm going to have to regear it. On Havasu I was hitting the rev limiter at 5000 rpm at 95.1 with a 34" prop. I'll probably upgrade to some better gears when I regear...why not? I have to buy them anyway? I'll see how it runs this weekend with the rev limiter set to 5200! :D