PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Da Finest Kine mini DV Video Camera

Trailer Park Casanova
06-14-2003, 06:57 AM
Time to buy a mini DV Video camera.
Any suggestions on brand model and/or what features to look for?
I hear firewire is bad,, then I hear firewire is good,,, hell, damfino.
I want to keep the price under grand.
We want it super small, and be able to post movies on the net.
The guys selling at Best Buy and Frys have no clue as to the best features. They only know whats the best comission.
Thanks for your imput.

Pet This
06-14-2003, 07:10 AM
I contemplated this for quite a while myself. Ended up with a Sony. It does video, stills, super low light, remote, and more super gadgety S*%^T then I have time to figure out! I've been real happy with it.

rrrr
06-14-2003, 07:59 AM
Canon ZR-45 or 50. I have a 45, it is easy to operate, small, and takes great video.
Works good in uh, weird angles and low light situations.... :D :D

beyondhelpin
06-14-2003, 03:30 PM
I have the Cannon 45. They are cheap enough but their low light video sucks, at least I thought so. Other wise they are pretty good. Still a good value. Think you would probally like the Sony better.

Havasu Hangin'
06-14-2003, 05:51 PM
Trailer Park Casanova:
Any suggestions on brand model and/or what features to look for?I bought mine (JVC) awhile ago, so I'm not hip on the models.
However, I'd look for optical zoom (the more the better), LCD size and quality, still camera quality (more megapixels the better), storage, and low-light capability (night vision is sketchy at best, but some are better than others).
I found it easier to buy a quality still camera (you might want to start here (http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/2001-6451_7-0.html?tag=ont-cam)).
Trailer Park Casanova:
I hear firewire is bad,, then I hear firewire is good,,, hell, damfino. My firewire is great...the transfer rate is awesome.
Trailer Park Casanova:
I want to keep the price under grand.
We want it super small, and be able to post movies on the net.
The guys selling at Best Buy and Frys have no clue as to the best features. They only know whats the best comission.I would never buy my electronics from those guys. There's too many discounters over the net (New York, etc.) that beat the hell out of thier prices (no tax, shipping only). The only downside is warranty. You take a gamble that nothing will go wrong during the warranty period...outside of that, you have to deal with the manufacturer directly anyway.
It makes some people feel comfortable walking into a brick-and-mortar store...whatever floats your boat.
If you check out www.consumerreview.com (http://www.consumerreview.com), the Sony, JVC, Panasonics, and Cannons are usually at the top.
For price comparisons, try
www.pricescan.com (http://www.pricescan.com)
www.buydig.com (http://www.buydig.com)
www.digitaletailer.com (http://www.digitaletailer.com)
[ June 14, 2003, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

Trash
06-14-2003, 08:01 PM
However, I'd look for optical zoom (the more the better), LCD size and quality, still camera quality (more megapixels the better), storage, and low-light capability (night vision is sketchy at best, but some are better than others).
These are all great things to look for in a DV camera. I've got a Sony DCR-TRV30 and love it. Very capable. I've had good luck with Sony gear so I'd recommend it. Other brands mentioned in the post are probably good too.
I wouldn't hinge too much on the low light capability. I just don't use it that often. I'm not out trying to stage night time raids with Froggy. :p
I would avoid the Sony MICRO (not Mini) DV. It uses a proprietary CODEC.
Mini DV quality is standard DVD quality (720x480 @29.97 fps & 44khz sound).
I would also look for a camera that has firewire (more on this later), USB, seperate mic input, SVHS and VCR output and any other jack you can think of. At a minimum get firewire, USB and the VHS connections.
Now, FireWire...All firewire is is Apples name for what is known as IEEE 1394, which is the industry standard cable and data mechanism for transferring digital video between components. Other brands may have different names for this IEEE 1394 wire. REMEMBER, IEEE 1394 or whatever name is given to it is the STANDARD for digital video. When some knucklehead at store X says firewire is bad or good pertaining to digital video their knowledge base is what I will politely call limited.
To transfer your video to your computer you would use the IEEE 1394 cable. Your computer must have an IEEE 1394 connection or capture card. Most new computers do. If yours does not they are not expensive (but can be if you want a real fancy video capture board) and easy to install.
Software is next. Most camcorders come with video software on a disc. Usually this software which, can be installed on a PC, isn't very sophisticated. If you dabble with digital video very much you will quickly run into the limitations of these programs. If you want to have this as a hobby, I would recommend spending a few dollars on a capable program. I use Adobe Premiere 6.0 (6.5 is the latest I believe). It is a very powerful and easy to use program. I burn my videos to DVD. Its frickin' slick.
Best of luck.

novaguy
06-14-2003, 08:12 PM
Funny,
I just bought the Sony TRV-38 and love it. I bought mine through Roz from the boards.

Trailer Park Casanova
06-15-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks for all the info.
Really appreciated.

RiverForUs
06-15-2003, 09:03 PM
rrrr:
Works good in uh, weird angles and low light situations.... :D :D Am I the only one that got this?
I had a Sharp Viewcam that was a P.O.S. camera but was great for this! wink wink