PDA

View Full Version : Dog Training HELP...?

Her454
04-01-2003, 02:57 PM
Any dog trainers out there? Im going to get flamed for this but Im considering a "bark collar" for my German Shepherd as a last resort. I've had Shepherds all my life but none that barked like my current one does at nite. I know its their nature to patrol and protect, but he's starting to bark at "everything". I dont want to break his spirit but Im desperate for sleep and I dont want him in the house every nite...any suggestions?
[ April 01, 2003, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Her454 ]

BowTie Rick
04-01-2003, 03:07 PM
I know this sounds mean but its really not. A shock collar will break him of the habit after a while. I've used them to train multiple dogs. They yipe, some fall over and act like you are hurting them, but its not that bad. The good ones are adjustable and I tried on on myself just to feel what it was like. Its definately a shock but nothing that significant. No worse than our electric fence for the horses which I too have bumped into many times and I'm still here.

Her454
04-01-2003, 03:14 PM
Any specific brand you use?

BowTie Rick
04-01-2003, 03:15 PM
No, I don't know but I can check tonight. I'm at work right now.

Thunderbutt
04-01-2003, 03:32 PM
Dogs usually bark because they are loneley and want attention. Do you keep it on a chain in the yard? Do you play with or be with your dog?

Her454
04-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Thunderbutt:
Dogs usually bark because they are loneley and want attention. Do you keep it on a chain in the yard? Do you play with or be with your dog? I knew this was comming. He's with me 99% of the time when Im not working.. and I just came off of 4 months of disability...lots of time on my hands. He spends alot of time with my daughter and I and he is definitly not lonely. The barking did not start when I went back to work either. Used to be he only barked when strangers approached, coyotes, etc (understandable) .now hes barking at Mosquitos.

Thunderbutt
04-01-2003, 04:45 PM
Maybe the masquitos have big teeth, (just kidding). If he is not chained and you spend that much with him, I guess you have a dog that likes to bark.

Seadog
04-01-2003, 07:21 PM
Lonliness is not the only reason they bark. Barking is a means of communication.and can be anything from look at me to I'm having fun. My wife's dog barks at every slight noise. The outside doga will bark at noises, or shadows. Birds and squirrels are favorite barking starters. Definitely try the collars. I only wish my wife's dog was big enough to wear one and my wife would agree.

MJ19
04-01-2003, 09:07 PM
Her454,
I have done my fair share of dog training (we have 4 dogs) and over the years I have come up against some tough issues. Many times I get great ideas & answers here: www.greatpets.com (http://www.greatpets.com)
I suggest signing up and posting your question. You will find MANY different approaches, but you will know which suggestions might work, and which ones you are willing to do with your dog.

MJ19
04-01-2003, 09:16 PM
Her454:
Used to be he only barked when strangers approached, coyotes, etc (understandable) .now hes barking at Mosquitos. One of our dogs "Molly" barks at all kinds of things...but we have found out that she is always barking at 'something'...we thought for a long time she was barking at nothing, but it turns out when we investigate, it's always something. It may not be something we consider 'barkable' but it's always something.
You might want to try two things.
1) Investigate what your dog is barking at...if the barking stops once you check it out, great...for the time being.
2) for a more long term solution, you might want to do a few easy tricks to remind your dog that YOU are the leader of the pack and protecting the pack is your job first. Like feeding him AFTER you eat, always being the first one in the door (making him wait until you say it's ok to come in), if he sleeps on the bed put him on the floor for a while, if he barks put him in another room alone (sort like a time out) the naughty pack member often times will get 'shunned' and when a dog is alone in a room while the rest of the family is gathered together it's a form of 'shunning'
If you want some more gentle but affective suggestions, please PM me.

River Ric
04-01-2003, 09:16 PM
I have been raising LAbradors for 20 years. Everyone here is right to a point. There are lots of reasons dogs bark. As a matter of fact, one of my girls is at the back door barking to come in. My alpha female barks as a diterent for all the other girls or when we have puppies, she become even more protective even if ther are NOT her's. I have been in the pet business for 20 years too.Let meknow where in No. Cal. you are and I can try to recommend a couple of good people for you. It is sometimes a simple problem to solve. Don't worry. It can be fixed. Let me know. My e-mail is in my profile. :)
"Just my 2 cents" :)

Her454
04-01-2003, 09:20 PM
MJ19, thanks, I was actually gonna send you an email this afternoon and ask you about this before I posted the thread and forgot....
River Ric, Im in Valley Springs, about 30 N of Stockton, 45 Miles from Sacramento. Thanks for the info.

Mandelon
04-01-2003, 09:43 PM
Duct tape???? It works on my kids.

Her454
04-02-2003, 06:45 AM
Mandelon:
Duct tape???? It works on my kids. Last resort. :D

Freak
04-02-2003, 07:11 AM
I used the bark control collor that just emits a tone from this company. It worked well. http://store.yahoo.com/hightechpet/nobarkcollars.html

Blown 472
04-02-2003, 07:24 AM
http://www.zzzz4.net/mas/images/icons/avatars/ani/22703/tom-dog1-ani-avatar.gif
[ April 02, 2003, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: Blown 472 ]

MJ19
04-02-2003, 07:41 AM
Freak:
I used the bark control collor that just emits a tone They also have those collars that squirt out citrus spray, but will all of those auto collars, dogs if smart enough and determined enough to bark, will find a way to get it to spray away from them when they bark, or how to bark without having the zapper trigger...I don't know how, but I've seen two dogs in my training classes that were able to go around those collars...
...If they aren't too terribly expensive I'd giv'em a try and see, I'm sure they work for most dogs :)
Our dogs have the invisible fence and it always to date have kept them in...but both our neighbors one either side have it as well and their dogs jump the eletric fence, either taking the zap with stride or somehow finding a week spot???

kevnmcd
04-02-2003, 07:52 AM
BowTie Rick:
.....I tried on on myself just to feel what it was like.That image is just too funny! :D :D

Freak
04-02-2003, 08:21 AM
I've had dogs jump the zap fence also. I have found that some dogs find the price of a little pain for freedom worth it. I can see them getting around the spray collar (I have never used one - I don't want to bother with the refilling) but the zap collar should work unless the collar is not tight enough the battory is dead, there is a break in the buried wire or the wrong length pins are installed. I have used the zap collar and the more humane tone collar with success. If you try one get the less expensive collar with the adjustment for your sensitivity. In a last ditch effort to keep the dog you can get it d-barked which is having the vocal cords cut. It's hard to find a qualified vet to do it.
[ April 02, 2003, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Freak ]

LHC30Victory
04-02-2003, 08:33 AM
try this url. It is where we get our police K-9 stuff and the collars work very well - especially when we have to make sure the dog is quiet.
http://www.rayallen.com/ramCart/cartFrame.htm

MJ19
04-02-2003, 03:43 PM
Her454,
Did you check out The Great Pet's Web Site? (http://www.greatpets.com)

Jbb
04-03-2003, 08:30 AM
Sometimes puppies rebel....and they have ways of getting you back.....!.. :D
http://www.orsm.net/images/random_shite895.jpg

Ziggy
04-03-2003, 01:54 PM
454---let me know how and what works for you. I got a half shepard,half pit puppy that barks when the leaves move in the tree. She's about 8mo. now. She's getting a little better but the early morning wake ups are taking their toll on my and the wife. :confused:

Blown509Liberator
04-03-2003, 02:08 PM
I had a Dalmatian that had a separation anxiety. she would chew the house down if i just ran to the corner for milk. I was told to take a bone, the big ones with the marrow inside, and drill it out, it needs some length to it, and packed it with peanut butter. She spent her time trying to get it out and forget everything else.
MikeW

Seadog
04-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Pets are wonderful things. My black lab female is a hog and is always finding ways to steal from the other dogs. We just got through with their annuals and she weighs 97 lbs. My male is right on target at 78 lbs. Its diet time for my gals. When my wife was waiting to pay the bill (ouch) she was next to a woman with a Mastiff that had a bandaged leg (torn ACL). Her visit was $2000. When she saw the look on my wife's face while she was paying, she said that this was his 7th surgery and he had one more. Scary.

spectratoad
04-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Hey Kevnmcd, I am with you. I am still sorta stuck on the image of Bowtie having that coller on. :D :D

goeasy8
04-03-2003, 03:47 PM
I have a german shepard also that used to bark alot when she was young. This is what I did and I know some of you will thinks its wrong butit worked. When ever she barked I would first check out what it was. If it was something I'd praise her if it was nothing Id discipline her usually with a newspaper on the butt. Not hard just a small wack. After a couple of nights she understood not to bark for no reason. Ive had her for 10 years and never any problems. She still acts like a puppy to this day. I know Im going to get some flack for the wack but this dog is my dog. She runs to me first everytime and only takes commamds from me. I guess she knows who the head of the pack is. smile_sp

hoolign
04-03-2003, 03:50 PM
Wait til you see the dog sleeping, then run around the house screaming "kumbia" at the top of your lungs.After 3 or 4 months of this you'll either be committed,which could result in a good nights sleep,or the dog will be to confused to bark

CA Stu
04-03-2003, 04:06 PM
Good Boy = hot dog :)
Bad Boy = rubber strap (take the hooks out) :mad:
That'll learn'em right quick.
CA Stu

MJ19
04-03-2003, 04:56 PM
The peanut butter in the bone works wonders for many situations...if your dog is fearful (or aggressive) of newbie visitors, if your dog barks, if your dogs has separation issues, tons of various reasons...hence the reason we have chunky and smooth peanut butter in the pantry just for the doggies on the doggie shelf. :D
Sometimes our Border Collie & our Tibetan Terrier start ripping it up in the living room (play fighting) barking, growling, wrestling, etc...Having a great time and we don't want to punish them for having fun...so if they don't settle after a while we give peanut butter bones and have some peace an quiet. :D
Right this very minute one pooch is sacked out on the spare room bed, one sacked out at my feet under my desk, one behind me, and the other one sacked out in the livingroom...peace and quiet happens "sometimes" wink Rarely but sometimes! :D
Spoke too soon, UPS just drove in and they are in 'protect' mode making all kinds of noise now! :rolleyes:
As for the strap solution, I disagree...in my experence with dog training, it seems to eventually bring out the dog's aggressive side. :( A side I personally don't want to see in my pets...I want to know my dogs are friendly even when I'm not looking :)

BowTie Rick
04-03-2003, 05:05 PM
spectratoad:
Hey Kevnmcd, I am with you. I am still sorta stuck on the image of Bowtie having that coller on. :D :D All right, I set myself up for that one :D :o It was on my arm but go ahead and use your imagination! :p

Ziggy
04-03-2003, 05:39 PM
hoolign:
Wait til you see the dog sleeping, then run around the house screaming "kumbia" at the top of your lungs.After 3 or 4 months of this you'll either be committed,which could result in a good nights sleep,or the dog will be to confused to bark ROTFLMAO....too funny.
I only have the barking problem with the shepard/pit pup, my chow/lab is the best and only barks when he really needs/supposed to. We've tried the stuffing of bones with treats and such but the pup has such strong teeth she goes thru anything in a matter of minutes...we can hardly give her enough to chew on(knew all those old McD's toys would come in handy)...the hell with trying to keep my drip and sprinklers intact(damn dog) :mad:
I just hope its a puppy faze and she'll grow out of some of it....soon! :confused:
Any advise to make her less attentive to natural noises???????

hoolign
04-03-2003, 05:47 PM
Actually..when our American Eskimo, was a pup and figured it was time to be heard,I gave him a small squirt of "real lemon" in the mouth,after three or four times of this all I had to do was show him the plastic lemon,and he pretty much forgot what he was gonna say!

MJ19
04-03-2003, 05:59 PM
Ziggy:
Any advise to make her less attentive to natural noises??????? The more you get her out and socialize her with sounds, smells, and different things...the better she'll be.
I used to take one of our dogs to the airport (before 911) and watch the planes take off and land...the loud noises were great and having all sorts of people with suitcases, etc...was also good for her. I took her to the firestation once and had them turn on the siren, she jumped a little but recovered quickly and now she isn't even fazed by the sirens.
The more you can get her out and about the more she will not be fearful and feel the need to bark at things.
Regarding the bone/peanut butter trick...it really works best with the 'real bones' that have been sterilized (they are white and hollow)so far those white bones are the only things that lasts for a while. All other bones/toys/etc are gone in a heartbeat with our BC. Here's a link to the bones I'm referring to:
White Bone (http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_186.shtml)
We had one dog that also did a number on the drip system and chewed all the baseboards in the house, along with some chairs, etc...That pain in the arce puppy has turned out to be the best dog anyone could ask for...he's now 12. Stick with the training and socializing, it's works eventually. :)

MJ19
04-03-2003, 06:06 PM
hoolign:
Actually..when our American Eskimo, was a pup and figured it was time to be heard,I gave him a small squirt of "real lemon" in the mouth,after three or four times of this all I had to do was show him the plastic lemon,and he pretty much forgot what he was gonna say! Yeah that does work :D
and so does a squirt bottle of water (not in the mouth, but on the body)...a lot of dogs dislike the shock of being squirted across the room and they tend to learn quickly to shut up...but mostly they learn to shut up when you're around because they also associate the lemon juice or water with the person giving it. :rolleyes: Dogs are pretty smart!
It's the same concept as the citrus spray collars...the collars were invented because you need to be pretty consitant with the water bottle or lemon juice and we can't always be there when they bark.

Her454
04-04-2003, 11:38 AM
Thanks everyone, appreciate the responses. I think Im going with the collar...I'll let you know how it works. He's a very intelligent dog, just a stubborn one, unlike all the females I've had in the past....hmmmmm. wink

Ziggy
04-04-2003, 02:20 PM
MJ19:
Ziggy:
Any advise to make her less attentive to natural noises??????? The more you get her out and socialize her with sounds, smells, and different things...the better she'll be.
I used to take one of our dogs to the airport (before 911) and watch the planes take off and land...the loud noises were great and having all sorts of people with suitcases, etc...was also good for her. I took her to the firestation once and had them turn on the siren, she jumped a little but recovered quickly and now she isn't even fazed by the sirens.
The more you can get her out and about the more she will not be fearful and feel the need to bark at things.
Regarding the bone/peanut butter trick...it really works best with the 'real bones' that have been sterilized (they are white and hollow)so far those white bones are the only things that lasts for a while. All other bones/toys/etc are gone in a heartbeat with our BC. Here's a link to the bones I'm referring to:
White Bone (http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_186.shtml)
We had one dog that also did a number on the drip system and chewed all the baseboards in the house, along with some chairs, etc...That pain in the arce puppy has turned out to be the best dog anyone could ask for...he's now 12. Stick with the training and socializing, it's works eventually. :) Thanks for all the tips MJ..gonna have to try some of that. We do take her along when walking the daughter to school so she gets a lot of exposure to people that way and she is friendly as all heck except when she's behind the fence, she just desperately wants out to see waz-up. Saw the lemon spray trick someone suggested but we just have a small spray bottle of H2O to keep her from jumping(which has nearly stopped now). Kinda the same tactic we used with our daughter, she'd get Tobasco sauce on the tongue when smartmouthin'(just a drop will do it). :D
I've seen those bones at Petsmart before...have to try one...we have a rubber type that is for the same purpose and she doesn't seem to care about that one???weird.
Patience is the key factor I think, and diligence to stay after them.
Thanks again MJ.
Ziggy
p.s. love your avatar!