PDA

View Full Version : How do you Beat a Traffic Ticket ?

silver surfer
06-12-2003, 06:27 AM
I got a ticket in Imperial Beach yesterday and I guess I really pissed the cop off.What should have been an illegal u-turn, I guess, turned into unsafe traffic movement and unsafe backing up. The cop listed medium traffic where in reality there was no traffic. Anyone have some ideas on how you beat a ticket? Has anyone in the San Diego area used MR. TICKET ?

Hallett19
06-12-2003, 07:05 AM
supposedly you are supposed to send in your money for the ticket, send in a few extra dollars, they will send you a refund check, dont cash it or deposit it !!! SUPPOSEDLY the ticket wont hit your record untill you cash that check...... check never gets cashed, ticket never hits record, you are happy .....

Boozer
06-12-2003, 07:08 AM
I think Silvers ticket is going to be a court appearance ticket. So that method won't work. Plus that little trick is supposedly and urban legend and doesn't really work.

HP350SC
06-12-2003, 07:14 AM
ALWAYS send the ticket in Not Guilty. Then when they mail you a court date,call them and move the date up(you can do this once I believe). Then show up on the new date. Hopefully the officer won't be there in which case ticket is dismissed. This happens enough as it could be there day off or training or whatever.If the officer does show and you're guilty as hell you can just change your plea right there.Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Seadog
06-12-2003, 07:43 AM
If you do wind up paying, that method will add court fees to the ticket. If you don't have to attend court, ask how much are court fees and then make your call.

hboldno7
06-12-2003, 07:56 AM
you need to find a friend in the department who can tell you the issuing officers regular day off, try to schedule court for the officers day off is your best bet.

cyclone
06-12-2003, 08:28 AM
i just got out of a ticket for running an orange light. I plead not guilty, postponed the trial once and then when i finally had to show up, the cop was a no show. The case was dimissed and i walked out of the courtroom giddy as a schoolboy for beating the man at his own game.

Windy
06-12-2003, 09:21 AM
HP350SC:
ALWAYS send the ticket in Not Guilty. Then when they mail you a court date,call them and move the date up(you can do this once I believe). Then show up on the new date. Hopefully the officer won't be there in which case ticket is dismissed. This happens enough as it could be there day off or training or whatever.If the officer does show and you're guilty as hell you can just change your plea right there.Nothing ventured nothing gained! I tried that once, and the cop showed. I had to pay the ticket. The nice thing about getting a court date is the judge will reduce your ticket almost half.

SchellSchock
06-12-2003, 09:29 AM
When your notice comes from the court plead Not Guilty and check the box....."This is important" that you want a trial by declaration. This means you right a letter giving your side of the story, the cop rights a letter giving his side of the story, and the judge decides whether you're guilty or not. HERE IS THE KICKER... if the judge decides in favor of you being guilty Because and only because you plead by declaration you can now appeal the verdict and have the right to be seen in court. Now you postpone your court date and then appear on the ticket and so much time has elapsed that the chances of the cop appearing are next to nil.

superdave013
06-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Yea for me. I was going up to Big Bear the other weekend. Let me tell ya that I was going up that mountain as fast as the ol ford would go. Went through Running Springs cooking and got red light.
He asked the what the deal was and I told him I was late for my DH race (true).
I got a warning for speeding (67 in a 40) and a fix it ticket for a brake light!
whoo hoo!
I guess I don't know how to get out of them. Just how to get lucky. :D

LHC30Victory
06-12-2003, 10:11 AM
"i just got out of a ticket for running an orange light. "
No wonder you won your case, Orange lights are not official traffic control devices :D

Boatcop
06-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Sometimes the Officer won't show, but most times they will. Especially if it's a day off. That's overtime for us. $$$$
See if there's a way to attend traffic school on the charge. It will run about the same as the fine, but won't show up on your record, or insurance.
You can also go in and plead guilty with an explanation, and tell your side of the story without the Officer present. Sometimes the judge will have pity on you and suspend or reduce the fine. Borrow someone's five kids and take them with you. Make sure they look like orphans. :D
The pay more and don't cash the refund check story is just an urban legend.
If you qualify for traffic school, that's the way to go. There are even classes you can take on line that satisfy it.

78Eliminator
06-12-2003, 01:17 PM
I think that EVERYONE should go and try to beat their traffic tickets in court. It would at least make the state have to work a little harder for their money. Traffic tickets are just another way the state tries to rape you of your money.
Lately, they are handing out tickets left and right on my way to work, every day. Doesn't matter who you are. Some cop bolts out in front of me, cutting me off and pulls the guy in front of me over. It could have been me, it could have been anyone. It's just a revenue based bullshit way to take more money from people who are doing nothing more than just commuting to work.
I say go to court. You will lose because the courts, like I said, are there just to make money. Doesn't have a whole lot to do with justice. If you have lots of money, you will get justice. If you have a little, they will just take a little from you by means of traffic tickets or whatever else they think of.
I like the cops though. They crack me up. They think they're doing a great service to hand out tickets on the freeway, like they are saving lives or something. They are really nothing better than a "buster" that a bookie uses to collect money from people who place bets.
Traffic cops (meter maids) suck.
*Yes, I got a speeding ticket about a month or so ago. I was really dizzy and a doctor friend of mine told me I might have spinal minengitis so I was rushing (going 80 on I-15) to the emergency room. The cop yelled at me for like 15 minutes and then just sat in his car and watched me with a smile on his face. He did this to teach me a lesson that speeding would not get me to where I was going any faster.
[ June 12, 2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

Ziggy
06-12-2003, 01:57 PM
I keep a Police friends' business card in my wallet right under my DL, when I remove my license for an officer I deliberately make sure they see it(they watch your hands' every move).....has worked for me 3 times, in 4 stops. Didn't get cited on the 4th one either. Oh, and general politeness instead of acting pissed to the cop works wonders too.
But none of this will help you with a ticket already written.

78Eliminator
06-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Ziggy:
Oh, and general politeness instead of acting pissed to the cop works wonders too.
But none of this will help you with a ticket already written. I am always polite. Never works. Well, once I was let off. The cop pulled me over and was telling me what a bad boy I was when a car drove by and yelled "****ing pig!" at the cop. He said to me "You better stay here". I sat there for a half hour and he returned and said "That guy made me madder than you" and just handed me my license back.

RiverToysJas
06-12-2003, 04:06 PM
The cops like to know you're assertive and sure of yourself! Make sure they know you are in charge right from the start. So as soon as they get to your car window say, "What the F*ck do you want pig?" and if it's a chick cop, call them sir instead of pig! It makes them feel more important. Once they know that you are firmly in charge of the coversation they will usually ask you if it's ok if they leave. Now on the off chance they still want to see your license do this.....
When you hand them your license, have a $20 bill under it and give them a wink. Tell them to pick up "a few extra doughnuts for guys that are sitting on their asses back at the station". Make sure you word it just like that too. They'll be so greatful they may even give you a ride down to the station to see those guys!!! wink
If none of that works, and you still get the ticket....tell the judge that the officer was drunk and that's the reason you stopped him! Stick to that story until you are removed from court!!!
I hope that helps!
RTJas :D

Ziggy
06-12-2003, 04:11 PM
RiverToysJas:
The cops like to know you're assertive and sure of yourself! Make sure they know you are in charge right from the start. So as soon as they get to your car window say, "What the F*ck do you want pig?" and if it's a chick cop, call them sir instead of pig! It makes them feel more important. Once they know that you are firmly in charge of the coversation they will usually ask you if it's ok if they leave. Now on the off chance they still want to see your license do this.....
When you hand them your license, have a $20 bill under it and give them a wink. Tell them to pick up "a few extra doughnuts for guys that are sitting on their asses back at the station". Make sure you word it just like that too. They'll be so greatful they may even give you a ride down to the station to see those guys!!! wink
If none of that works, and you still get the ticket....tell the judge that the officer was drunk and that's the reason you stopped him! Stick to that story until you are removed from court!!!
I hope that helps!
RTJas :D ROTFLMAO--too funny!

77charger
06-12-2003, 05:00 PM
hope the cop doesnt show up.

CA Stu
06-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Hallett19:
supposedly you are supposed to send in your money for the ticket, send in a few extra dollars, they will send you a refund check, dont cash it or deposit it !!! SUPPOSEDLY the ticket wont hit your record untill you cash that check...... check never gets cashed, ticket never hits record, you are happy ..... Tried this, for real, it doesn't work.
They cashed my check and teh ticket hit my record, this is an urban legend.
CA Stu <-- not kidding cry

Jrocket
06-12-2003, 05:03 PM
CA Stu:
Hallett19:
supposedly you are supposed to send in your money for the ticket, send in a few extra dollars, they will send you a refund check, dont cash it or deposit it !!! SUPPOSEDLY the ticket wont hit your record untill you cash that check...... check never gets cashed, ticket never hits record, you are happy ..... Tried this, for real, it doesn't work.
CA Stu <-- not kidding cry What about the overpayment?Did they send it back or what?

little rowe boat
06-12-2003, 05:17 PM
I know getting cited for a moving violation really sucks.Believe me most cops do not like making traffic stops.In my job, i get to see the results of wreckless driving and speeding,after you have cut a few people out of a mangled wreck you learn to appreciate it when the police start cracking down on these drivers.Believe it or not it does save lives and that life it saves could be someone you care about. cry

CA Stu
06-12-2003, 05:26 PM
http://www.ticketassassin.com
CA Stu <-- red streetbike = tickets

CA Stu
06-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Jrocket:
CA Stu:
Hallett19:
CA Stu <-- not kidding cry What about the overpayment?Did they send it back or what? Not only no, but HELL NO!!!!
Cost me about $20 to find out that, yes, I am an idiot. :confused: :mad: :confused:
CA Stu

little rowe boat
06-12-2003, 05:36 PM
Ca stu where did you get cited ?

CA Stu
06-12-2003, 06:04 PM
little rowe boat:
Ca stu where did you get cited ? Which time? I have been unfortunate enough to have several tickets, and lucky enough to have a few warnings...
The one I overpaid to try and beat the system (and got juked out of my money anyway) was in Orange County on the freeway.
A story: I rode up Olivewood to Panorama, there was a van in my lane, so over the double yellow I went, hit it up the hill and dragged a peg on the 90 degree left hander at the top of the hill (over the freeway, no chance of cross traffic and great visibility). Ripped through the neighborhood up there. A few minutes later, I'm talking to this dude, and he says " I can tell by the way you went through those corners you are an expert, that was impressive! This bike is sweet! A Triumph! Man I didn't even know they made those any more, it's cool! So would you rather have it for speeding or crossing a double yellow?"
:(
Drive/ride safely
CA Stu

little rowe boat
06-12-2003, 06:07 PM
At least he gave you a choice. He could have gotten you for both.

CA Stu
06-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Hell, the way he was buttering me up, I thought I was gonna get asked out! :D
It was an RCC cop with a female ride-a-long in the car, I was gonna get a ticket one way or the other. He was cool, I earned the ticket, the ego boost was a bonus, I guess.
CA Stu

little rowe boat
06-12-2003, 06:26 PM
With an Rcc cop it would be very difficult to get out of the ticket,they patrol the campus all day and there is not a lot of crime.If it was an Rpd in a car your chances of getting out of it are much better, if it's an Rpd motor officer you can forget about it,thats what they are on the street to do write citations. cry

Kilrtoy
06-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Heres is a little clue to add to all those wonderful URBAN LEGENDS.
DID YOU ever stop to think the cop maybe never planned on giving you a ticket(EVEN THOUGH YOU DESERVED ONE) he just wanted to have a little chat with you, about your reckless ass driving in the hopes the chat might do better than the ticket.
[ June 12, 2003, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Kilrtoy ]

Floatin'
06-12-2003, 06:44 PM
Ziggy:
I keep a Police friends' business card in my wallet right under my DL, when I remove my license for an officer I deliberately make sure they see it(they watch your hands' every move).....has worked for me 3 times, in 4 stops. Didn't get cited on the 4th one either. Oh, and general politeness instead of acting pissed to the cop works wonders too.
But none of this will help you with a ticket already written. I have a friend that is a Judge. I keep his card with my license and it has always worked.

CA Stu
06-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Kilrtoy:
Heres is a little clue to add to all those wonderful URBAN LEGENDS.
DID YOU ever stop to think the cop maybe never planned on giving you a ticket(EVEN THOUGH YOU DESERVED ONE) he just wanted to have a little chat with you, about your reckless ass driving in the hopes the chat might do better than the ticket. Yeah, but I respect the law Officer Kilrtoy, and even though he red lighted me a half mile behind me and I could very easily have kept up the pace and lost him, I'm too old and have too much to lose to try something reckless like that.
Every ticket I have got on my bike has been written very leniently. I find that courtesy, respect, and in the case of motor officers, the fact that I am truly an enthusiast for motorcycling, nets me the most lenient results.
Another story: The first time I ever went to the River, I was taken by a friend of mine and his dad, who was a Riverside Motor Officer at the time, and a group of RPD.
I can't help it, and I think you would agree, a few areas have speed limits that aren't exactly written with the performance motorcyclist in mind. For instance , Panorama Road in Riverside. No cross traffic (driveways), excellent visibility, and decent pavement. Speed limit at the two 90 degree turns is 15, hitting them at 35 is fun and exciting, and I don't feel it's unsafe.
But what do I know.
I appreciate your input
Thanks
CA Stu

Kilrtoy
06-12-2003, 07:29 PM
Aalot of police departments in the great so. cal area have had the feds looking at them(RACIAL PROFILING), they have also implemented a new policy on them. If you don't give a ticket and ONLY A WARNING, they must fill out a form that is longer than a ticket and explain why they let the violator go. This is to ensure that the officer is not RACIAL profiling. SO now rather than give warnings it is easier for them to issue a ticket and when asked, they give everyone a ticket they stopped, bogus , yes, but blame the feds

Starloans
06-12-2003, 07:44 PM
silver surfer:
I got a ticket in Imperial Beach yesterday and I guess I really pissed the cop off.What should have been an illegal u-turn, I guess, turned into unsafe traffic movement and unsafe backing up. The cop listed medium traffic where in reality there was no traffic. Anyone have some ideas on how you beat a ticket? Has anyone in the San Diego area used MR. TICKET ? God damn! What did you do to the cop? Back up over his foot? :D
I hear Mr Ticket is pretty good. I've had the opportunity to speak to him before. I decided to go to TS instead. Online is slicker than shit. I have read a couple of newspaper articles about him also. Good reviews.
Send in extra money....bullshit.
Not guilty and request declaration....bullshit.
You have two choices:
1. Traffic school
2. Put off the court date as many times as you can and see if the cop shows. No show....your off.
One other thing, "I hear" if the cop made a mistake on the ticket, wrong date, wrong license #, etc, an attorney can get you out of it.
I got a ticket in May one year 5 North in Carlsbad 85 in a 65 and left my license at home. (I was going to get laid in a hurry) Seems like the speed was $235 and $10 fix it ticket for no license if I show my license to CHPigs.
I put the damn thing off until November. I got an attorney, $150. The ****ing cop showed in San Marcos court but I wasen't there. My attorney ask the cop " how do you know it was really me" No license. "Did you ask the driver for another form of ID" "No" He ask the cop to describe me. The cop could not. Judge threw it out. :D
Now that's got you guys thinking!
I got laid anyway!
One last thing, everyone on this board should have a copy of the California Vehicle Code.
The last one I bought was $4 at the DMV.
I got pulled over in my truck yesterday here in Escondildo because my tires were sticking out beyond my fenderwells. :mad: Bastard. :mad: That is violation # 27600 of the CVC. He told me if he sees me in a couple of days without mudgards he is going to give me a ticket.
I'm going to get me some mudflaps with the shiney girlies on the back :D
I guess the murdering, rapist, child abductors are going to have to wait while he writes me up for no mudflaps!

Kilrtoy
06-12-2003, 08:09 PM
The CHP is living proof that:
A CAL-TRANS worker and a SECURITY GUARD had sex.
Always wondered what the CHP stood for:
C= Can't
H= Handle
P= Police work

Backtanner
06-13-2003, 10:36 AM
Starloans:
One last thing, everyone on this board should have a copy of the California Vehicle Code.
Everyone? I go as far as AZ.
I say skip town. By the time they figure you're a no show, you could be in sitting on some South American beach earning 10%. :p