PDA

View Full Version : So ya come home

AZKC
02-10-2003, 04:58 PM
And you see this
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/water_meter_bomb0001.JPG
:confused: Water Co. planting survelence equipment for the CIA, or a land mine :p
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/water_meter_bomb0002.JPG
Big brother everywhere man :D cut the red wire, no the blue wire, :D
KC
KC

Boatcop
02-10-2003, 05:09 PM
That's a new electronic remote read device for water meters. It transmits the water meter readings directly so they don't have to have a meter reader come by once a month.
Technology costing someone his job again.
If this was on my house, I'd install a regular dial meter on my side of the city meter, and go out and take my own readings. These things have about an 85% error rate.
The company that makes them are offerring them to cities for a cut of the take. They install them, read them, and send out the bills themselves. Theoretically, it saves the city money by them doing it, and all the city does is collect the payments and send the company their percentage check.
Hence the high error rate.

Stupid Fast
02-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Your water meters are OUTSIDE?!?!?

NashvilleBound
02-10-2003, 06:29 PM
LOL, Only from someone in Ohio :rolleyes:

JetBoatRich
02-10-2003, 06:35 PM
Thought they had wells out there and OUTHOUSES

Boatcop
02-10-2003, 07:25 PM
Maybe stupid fast can't answer right now, cause he's outside with his tongue stuck to the pump handle again. :D

Stupid Fast
02-11-2003, 03:47 AM
Boatcop:
Maybe stupid fast can't answer right now, cause he's outside with his tongue stuck to the pump handle again. :D You know, that happened to my cousin. We all have cabins in southeastern Ohio. Just after watching "A Christmas Story" we talked him into licking the old pitcher pump. At first it didn't work. He licked it really fast. Then he got confident. He planted his toung on the pump with a huge smile. That didn't last long. He stated to scream and yell. I laughed so hard the tears in my eyes started to freeze. Oh well that was over 20 years ago......
Did I write "20 years ago" and it was 20 years ago?
I gotta go. eek!
P.S. Most of us have indoor plunbing. All Indoor There is nothing worse to start your day than to turn on the water to brush your teeth and nothing comes out. Frozen pipes suck.

AZKC
02-11-2003, 06:26 AM
JetBoatRich:
Thought they had wells out there and OUTHOUSES Ha frikin Ha :D actually there are alot of wells but not to many outhouses :p
Thanks for the info Boatcop, figured thats what it was, not to happy about the accuracy % and also nobody in the hood knew about it.
KC

Seadog
02-11-2003, 06:30 AM
While some companies do offer reader services, it depends on the water system. Most systems keep it in-house and retrains the meter readers. One remote meter design will transmit on a schedule to a central tower and the data collected. Other designs will wait until a reader drives thru the area and 'activates' the transmitter which then sends the data. In most cases this equipment is welcomed by the meter readers. They can do ten times as many meters, without leaving the vehicle. They are more accurate and no more cleaning out wet or clogged meter pits, angry dogs or bitching homeowners. Of course there is the occassional reader that has a nude sunbathing cutey that he'll miss, but life is cruel.
As for accuracy, meter readers that are not reading meters are now able to pull meters for testing and repair. This is good for everyone as it allows better control of water loss. As meters age they read less, never more. The overall loss is figured into the water rates, so the lower the distribution loss, the more you are paying for just what you use. Class over.
[ February 11, 2003, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Seadog ]

Liberator TJ1984
02-11-2003, 06:36 AM
I work for the company that has the patent on those babys..we also make all sorts of metering and gauging devices that are remote operated..even down to gas pump meters, we are doing this world wide,Europe has had this in place for a few years now ,nothing new over there..Gopherrr