PDA

View Full Version : WTF! Carrera with Afterburner!!

bear down
08-18-2003, 06:55 AM
I was at Havasu this weekend and this has been my 12th trip this year. I saw a red Carrera V-Hull on Saturday that had a wierd set up that I have never seen or heard of on Havasu before. The engine compartment was totally exposed (no hatch) and actually had a singel oval shaped exhuast tip and sounded like a jet engine (turbine sound). Very strange looking and sounding. Has anyone seen this boat?

JetBoatRich
08-18-2003, 07:01 AM
Wasn't that boat at OP6, I think I remember it anchored off to the side

75_Elim
08-18-2003, 07:10 AM
JetBoatRich:
Wasn't that boat at OP6, I think I remember it anchored off to the side Ya, it was there.... If you look at the OP6 thread I believe there are some pics of it.

bigq
08-18-2003, 07:16 AM
Damn Elim, nice avatar. :D :D

LAVEYSABRE575
08-18-2003, 07:24 AM
i think that boat is an advantage victory...

bigq
08-18-2003, 07:31 AM
If it's this one, it's not Advantage. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/334Lake_6.jpg

LAVEYSABRE575
08-18-2003, 07:33 AM
thats not the boat that was at havasu this weekend.Im sure it was an advantage big oval port.

bear down
08-18-2003, 08:05 AM
LAVEYSABRE575:
thats not the boat that was at havasu this weekend.Im sure it was an advantage big oval port. The big oval port was where the tow eye is at and also, can't think why I said Carrera but it looked like the one in the pic above. Regardless, I felt like I was at Ontario airport for a minute when it was coming down the channel.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-18-2003, 08:08 AM
I have to wask why? What is the point of doing soemthing like that?

BADBLOWN572
08-18-2003, 08:09 AM
I was in the shop when building the Carrera 28. The thing has a turbine engine with the dual jet drives. The boat takes off like a rocket, but with somewhere around 1300 h.p. it tops out high 60's low 70's. I have not been in the boat when running, but it is a sight to see on the trailer. The only problem with the turbine is that it is so big, the back seat had to be removed.

Froggystyle
08-18-2003, 09:05 AM
BADBLOWN572:
I was in the shop when building the Carrera 28. The thing has a turbine engine with the dual jet drives. The boat takes off like a rocket, but with somewhere around 1300 h.p. it tops out high 60's low 70's. Not quite true. The fastest it has gone is low 70's as of several months ago. That was with N2 at 65% or something. I know exactly nothing about turbine engines, but I do know the owner of the boat, and the guy says they had some difficulties with getting it all the way spooled up or something, and at 73 the "vanes" or something hadn't even cracked open yet, which indicated a power percentage at or below 3/4 power.
Oh, and that is not a 1300+ hp rig, that turbine, at full power should run 900 or so supposedly in it's configuration.

Ziggy
08-18-2003, 09:56 AM
bigq:
If it's this one, it's not Advantage. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/334Lake_6.jpg Nope not the one I saw this weekend. Saturday about 12 or 1 it(no doubt it was a Carrera) came cruising through the Channal. Awesome to hear that turbine whine its way through. Rear exhaust was ovalized but pointed upwards just like this unit.

STV_Keith
08-18-2003, 02:06 PM
This one?
http://www.speedcraving.com/stv/op6-5/2/images/DSCN0537.jpg

Ziggy
08-18-2003, 02:14 PM
Seems to be the one alright...sweet sound of turbine whine. Looked nice and buttoned up.
The one next to it almost looks like an old witchcraft I had some years ago...at least the colors do :rolleyes:
[ August 18, 2003, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Ziggy ]

LAVEYSABRE575
08-18-2003, 02:30 PM
ok i stand corrected i guess it was a carrera it did look like that boat without a hatch, sounded awesome..derek

All Jets
08-18-2003, 02:40 PM
The truth is yes, this is the same boat that was on Havasu last weekend. The picture you see above was taken last November or so during the first water test with the exhaust exiting over the transom. I have since relocated the exhaust through the transom so I would be able to install full hatch covers. Now the reason there were no hatch covers last weekend is because the first set that were made had too small of an air intake scoop. This engine requires 12,000 CFM at takeoff power which I could not support at the time. The new ones will not be done for at least 60 to 90 days. On another note this engine is rated 1350 SHP. I loose 300 to 400 SHP with the hot outside temps. The top speed on this boat is 76 MPH. I am anticipating with the new hardware and impeller changes that the boat will do over a 100 MPH at our next top speed test this winter. Unfortunately there are a few people out there running there mouths about something they know nothing about. (I am not referring to any of the post above) Without going into great detail I still have a lot of RPM’s left on the table. Do to the fact that this set-up has never been done before and there’s no existing data to read from, it makes things really difficult to predict what exactly the boat is going to do.

carreraboat
08-18-2003, 04:17 PM
good luck all jets bad ass looking boat

BajaMike
08-18-2003, 04:31 PM
All Jets, is that a helicopter turbine? I've always heard it's hard to overcome the heat the engine gives off and low speed manuverability is a problem. Have you overcome that?
Awesome looking boat, I was admiring it at Op6c in June.
Mike

mike37
08-18-2003, 05:02 PM
STV_Keith:
This one?
http://www.speedcraving.com/stv/op6-5/2/images/DSCN0537.jpg thats the boat I saw sat with no hach

All Jets
08-18-2003, 11:07 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the complement. Yes, I am using a T58-GE-8F turbine engine out of a helicopter. The way that I have overcome the heat issue was to rap an aerospace thermal blanket from the power turbine, over the exhaust housing, extending through the transom. This blanket is rated at 2000 degrees continuous operating temperature while the exhaust gas temps. only gets up to 800 degrees at an idle and 1250 degrees at takeoff power. It really has had a huge impact on keeping the engine compartment much cooler along with the amount of air that is circulated to supply the intake.
As far as the maneuverability goes with the rpm speed of the power turbine at engine idle was pretty easy to overcome. I actually have to ways to control it, one being the forward/reverse buckets off the nozzles to control the thrust or I also have a disk brake with a line lock solenoid which allows me to not only slow down the power turbine but it can also be used as a parking brake with a flip of a switch, therefore allows me to run the engine on the trailer without having any of the drive system parts moving.
I will continue to keep all those interested on any testing updates this winter. A big thanks goes out to all those who have expressed their support, it’s because of people like you that make this project so fun, the performance of the boat is just the icing on the cake.
Take Care,
Joe

HighRoller
08-18-2003, 11:14 PM
And if you notice the boat to the left,it has TWO jet nozzles sticking out.It's another dualjet boat.That's sick,a huge ass V-bottom with a jet doing 100mph.Bet that will piss off some people.I'd hate to own a 28ft V-bottom with a blower motor and stern drive and get my ass handed to me!!The age of the midsized fast jetboat has arrived.If you had a 25 foot Vee with a blower motor and a dualjet you'd run with the serndrive boats on the top end and obliterate them off the line.Froggy said this boat wrapped his lips around his ears off the line.

BiggusJimbus
08-19-2003, 10:11 AM
Another Turbine boat story...
Back in about '87 or so, I worked with a guy that owned a 23' Eliminator Daytona that ran a helicopter turbine. Don't remember which model, but it was rated for about 500 HP and weighed slightly more than 200 pounds. He ran an Arneson surface drive and had a couple little trolling motors so that he could maneuver it around the docks. That was the biggest pain about the boat.
He decided to build the boat this way after grenading too many high compression motors. He was also buddies with Howard Arneson and was always talking about hanging around his shop, although I never got to see it.
We would ride this boat around the SF Bay at about 85 in 3 foot chop for hours. It's the first non-race boat I've ever ridden in where you had to wear ear protection. That Arneson drive kicks up a huge rooster tail.
Wonder what happened to that boat.