PDA

View Full Version : Rap, Hip Hop and all that Techno stuff, do you think...

superdave013
01-19-2003, 08:33 AM
Do you think it will still sound good in 30+ years from now??
Did anyone else see the Rolling Stones live on HBO last night? Those guys have to be pushing 60 now. And they still are freaking great! How bad ass is that?
I wonder what Puff Daddy, Master Whatever and Pink will be doing at that age?

JetBoatRich
01-19-2003, 08:44 AM
Good show last night, taped it so I can watch it again today eek!

Moomawnster
01-19-2003, 08:58 AM
Some will, some won't, just like rock&roll there are always people who do a great job and have long careers , Uh ,one thing though .... with todays technology you really don't know how the sound is produced , even by your old favorites , even on stage live ...... fake is easy. The Stones have enough experience , they BETTER be good after 40 yrs! .... that is one tough bunch of musicians! ROCK ON !

JetBoatRich
01-19-2003, 09:00 AM
Their appearance showed the age and partying.
They way they danced around and kept it going they looked 39 again :D

01RENEGADE
01-19-2003, 09:45 AM
It dosent even sound good to me right now,i'll take the stones anyday they still sound great.What happened to ROCK AND ROLL?

NEW 2 RIVER
01-19-2003, 09:52 AM
I think the versatile ones will be around for a while.but the hardcore rappers who dont adjust to the times will be hanging out with Susan Vega/Cindi Lauper and whoever else didnt adjust to the times.

Laveyman
01-19-2003, 09:54 AM
Given the life expectancy of the average rapper, the vasy majority of them will not even live long enough to worry about still being good.

Moomawnster
01-19-2003, 09:55 AM
01RENEGADE:
It dosent even sound good to me right now,i'll take the stones anyday they still sound great.What happened to ROCK AND ROLL? Auto advertisers bought it ! eek!

roostwear
01-19-2003, 10:33 AM
What happened to rock and roll?
Michael Jackson bought the rights to it, and is selling it out ot corporate America. eek!

twistedpair
01-19-2003, 10:41 AM
superdave013:
I wonder what Puff Daddy, Master Whatever and Pink will be doing at that age? Time.

Ian
01-19-2003, 11:56 AM
I agree with all of you, the stones kick as@, arguably the best rock n roll band of all time, but tell me this what do the majority of you have blasting out of your stereo in the channel, at the sandbar, in Copper Canyon, etc... I'm willing to bet for most of you it's not the stones, instead your probably listening to what ever is going to get all the girls attention; rap. Around home and in my truck I listen to classic rock, a little metal, and some punk, but when I get to Havasu it's Yo MTV raps all the time!

sandblasted
01-19-2003, 01:37 PM
The big difference between bands of today and 20-30 years ago is the way they produce/record the albums...
VanHalen's 1st album was pretty much recorded live in the studio...Guess what, they sounded the same in concert...Even when groups recorded each instrument seperately they still tended to sound similar in concert...after all most bands made their money by live performances...
too many of todays bands are overproduced, I like alot of todays music but some of these bands sound pretty bad when they play live...
and 30 years ago if you lip sync'd on stage you'd be tar'd and feather...too many acts today lipsync and people still like it...

HammerDown
01-19-2003, 01:39 PM
If someone pulled up to me while I was relaxing in my boat, and they were blasting that rap crap, hip hop,tech noise...I belive I'd pull there plug...and not the one to the stereo burningm I only prefer women that like R+R anyhow. Hey Bro, homie, G,or whatever ...I'm just keepin it real!
[ January 19, 2003, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

DogHouse
01-19-2003, 03:21 PM
You'll never hear rap or hip-hop coming from any speakers that I own... Sounds like crap now, it'll sound like crap in 30 years! Sorry, just not my thing. I'm sure there are a lot of younger members on the boards that grew up with it and like it. For me pretty much any kind of rock will do, old or new, but not much of the stuff they would play on a top 40 pop station.
-brian
[ January 19, 2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: DogHouse ]

01RENEGADE
01-19-2003, 03:44 PM
I will never play rap, hip hop, or tecno on my boat.It will be Van hagar,Van Halen. Bon Jovi, Sammy Hagar, Queen etc ROCK AND ROLL.And I hate to say it but a little Garth Brooks, old stuff dont laugh, and Chris Ledoux.If you never seen the last two in concert they put on one hell of a show, kinda like rock with a fiddle.

JimmyBaja
01-19-2003, 04:07 PM
Interesting thread!!! Give me that good ole time Rock and Roll anytime...
So what does it take to get your ladies fired up? Mony Mony, Old Time Rock & Roll, Brown Eyed Girl, Love Shack, American Woman??

JetBoatRich
01-19-2003, 04:30 PM
JimmyBaja:
Interesting thread!!! Give me that good ole time Rock and Roll anytime...
So what does it take to get your ladies fired up? Mony Mony, Old Time Rock & Roll, Brown Eyed Girl, Love Shack, American Woman?? Shoot you 5 for old time rock and roll

Ian
01-19-2003, 05:44 PM
If someone pulled up to me while I was relaxing in my boat, and they were blasting that rap crap, hip hop,tech noise...I belive I'd pull there plug...and not the one to the stereo I only prefer women that like R+R anyhow. Hey Bro, homie, G,or whatever ...I'm just keepin it real! Well I stand corrected, I guess the owners of the boats I here blasting rap at Havasu aren't on these Boards, my bad. Ease off HammerDown, I don't try to belittle you when you make comments, I was just making a general statement based on what I hear at Havasu. I really don't care what music people choose to listen too, as long as there at the lake enjoying themselves. It's the same thing no matter what music you listen too, the generation before you won't like it and the generation after won't like it. Last time I was at the lake we were listening to Bob Marley, not rap, nor is it rock n roll!! I definately wouldn't want to start trouble with some guy because of the music they were listening too argue

BigBoyToys
01-19-2003, 05:45 PM
Rock, Southern Rock, and Country. All 3 are music. That other stuff is just someone yelling into a microphone while a disc of music is playing in the background

JimmyBaja
01-19-2003, 05:59 PM
I'm not much into RAP either. But I do enjoy "I Like Big Butts" jawdrop

JetBoatRich
01-19-2003, 06:10 PM
JimmyBaja:
I'm not much into RAP either. But I do enjoy "I Like Big Butts" jawdrop LMAO :D

RiverKitty
01-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Hey baby! I LOVE all music! I'm pretty open minded. If it's got a beat, I'll be shakin' my booty! But I love music from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's & beyond!
Music has always evoloved, so it's hard to say where it'll be in 20 years.
Hopefully we'll still be on the boards & discussing it! ;o)

JimmyBaja
01-19-2003, 06:24 PM
RiverKitty
What are the tunes that get you wiggling?

HammerDown
01-19-2003, 06:32 PM
Ian:
If someone pulled up to me while I was relaxing in my boat, and they were blasting that rap crap, hip hop,tech noise...I belive I'd pull there plug...and not the one to the stereo I only prefer women that like R+R anyhow. Hey Bro, homie, G,or whatever ...I'm just keepin it real! Well I stand corrected, I guess the owners of the boats I here blasting rap at Havasu aren't on these Boards, my bad. Ease off HammerDown, I don't try to belittle you when you make comments, I was just making a general statement based on what I hear at Havasu. I really don't care what music people choose to listen too, as long as there at the lake enjoying themselves. It's the same thing no matter what music you listen too, the generation before you won't like it and the generation after won't like it. Last time I was at the lake we were listening to Bob Marley, not rap, nor is it rock n roll!! I definately wouldn't want to start trouble with some guy because of the music they were listening too argue Ian my friend...relax, no where no how did I mention your name or belittle you in any way shape of form. Just voicing (my) opinion on what I prefer to listen to...With my musical past I just dont here any revelance to that nonsense. I'm sure many people who are fond of rap,hiphop or whatever may feel the same way about my tast in music... Trust me I'm not closed minded I give everything a chance...And as far as the thread topic...well then again,I dont think rap.hiphop,techno sounds good now...in 30 years who knows, maybe disco will be big again. Trends tend to revolve in a big circle...I just hope mid 70's platform shoes dont make a come back LOL...at least not for men! Now women that wore legg warmers and spike heels in the 80's, for some reason that was a good thing!

RiverKitty
01-19-2003, 06:41 PM
JimmyBaja:
RiverKitty
What are the tunes that get you wiggling? Boom! Shake shake shake the room, Boom! Shake shake shake the room....tick tick tick tick BOOM!!! :p

RiverKitty
01-19-2003, 06:42 PM
JimmyBaja:
RiverKitty
What are the tunes that get you wiggling? 9" Nails....Closer! ;o)

JimmyBaja
01-19-2003, 06:43 PM
Oh yeah baby....

superdave013
01-19-2003, 06:49 PM
JimmyBaja:
I'm not much into RAP either. But I do enjoy "I Like Big Butts" jawdrop LOL, I like that Nelly song about getting hot in here now take off all your clothes.

Her454
01-19-2003, 06:53 PM
JimmyBaja:
So what does it take to get your ladies fired up? Mony Mony, Old Time Rock & Roll, Brown Eyed Girl, Love Shack, American Woman?? All of the above for sure...CCR, AC/DC, Zeppelin, Oldies, Country...ANYTHING but Rap... eek!

RiverKitty
01-19-2003, 07:02 PM
True! Rap is not my favorite, but that song by Nellie, "It's Getting Hot In Here" is pretty HOT!!!
Go Zeppelin!!! :D
[ January 19, 2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: RiverKitty ]

Her454
01-19-2003, 07:05 PM
ok, i lied... i confess to actually liking a song by...dont laugh if i screw this up but i think my daughter said its by "uncle cracker" and it goes something like "your my angel"......and thank god my daughter does NOT read these boards, I would deny it all. wink

Ian
01-19-2003, 07:18 PM
No hard feelings hammerdown, I miss interpreted your post, it's easy to do. I shot you a fiver for setting the record straight

JetBoatRich
01-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Her454:
ok, i lied... i confess to actually liking a song by...dont laugh if i screw this up but i think my daughter said its by "uncle cracker" and it goes something like "your my angel"......and thank god my daughter does NOT read these boards, I would deny it all. wink Should hear the rest of that CD, if you hadn't, all RAP. frown

Kim Hanson
01-19-2003, 07:22 PM
Rap suck's period!Rob Zombie has some pounding shit that kick's, only me though.lol..( . )( . )....... :D

Havasu Hangin'
01-19-2003, 07:23 PM
The Rolling Stones are to music what jets are to boating...
Cutting edge at one time...but now outdated and useless.
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy25.gif

HammerDown
01-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Ian:
No hard feelings hammerdown, I miss interpreted your post, it's easy to do. I shot you a fiver for setting the record straight Ian, no problem my friend...but damm, now I cant stop thinking about the hotties back then with the legg warmers and spike heels eek! !

JetBoatRich
01-19-2003, 07:28 PM
HammerDown:
Ian:
No hard feelings hammerdown, I miss interpreted your post, it's easy to do. I shot you a fiver for setting the record straight Ian, no problem my friend...but damm, now I cant stop thinking about the hotties back then with the legg warmers and spike heels eek! ! Thanks for the memories :D

Her454
01-19-2003, 07:58 PM
Havasu Hangin':
The Rolling Stones are to music what jets are to boating...
C'mon HH, tell us how you really feel... wink

Havasu Hangin'
01-19-2003, 08:01 PM
Her454:
C'mon HH, tell us how you really feel...Do you listen the the Stones?
What kind of boat do you have?
I rest my case...
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy25.gif

mbrown2
01-19-2003, 08:12 PM
Regardless of Genre, most bands will not sound great in 30 years and will not stand the test of time, but there are a few Hip Hop groups that will sound great in 30 years...George Clinton and RUN DMC started in the 70's and still sound great whenever they play today...Hell Clinton still gets a lot of time at the Sandbar on stereos.
Also, the Stones are pretty active for their age, but their current music lacks the depth and creativity of their early works. They are still successful, but its due to their earlier success....I would say that Aerosmith is a better example of band that has redefined themselves many times over, and then stepped it up a notch to be more successful than the past and not just live off the laurels of their past.
Another smaller band that has stood the test of time is Social Distortion, Mike Ness sounds as good today as he did in the early 80's and puts on one hell of a show.

JetBoatRich
01-19-2003, 08:16 PM
80's rock is fun, but not everyone likes it while parked on the water.
What ever it takes to get the party moving

sandblasted
01-19-2003, 08:19 PM
Kim Hanson:
Rap suck's period!Rob Zombie has some pounding shit that kick's, only me though.lol..( . )( . )....... :D As an old Black Sabbath fan got to say I love Rob Zombie and Godsmack...Still can't believe at 40 years old I drive down the road cranking this stuff...sure get some weird looks from the kids in their weak ass Honda Civics!!

JetBoatRich
01-19-2003, 08:21 PM
Waiting for you to Chime in Greg

sandblasted
01-19-2003, 09:15 PM
JetBoatRich:
Waiting for you to Chime in Greg I'm no dummy...Love that old time kick ass rock n' roll but I know it's the hip hop/ dance music that gets the youngsters taking their tops off at the river...go with the flow is my motto!!

Moomawnster
01-19-2003, 11:10 PM
You guys just made me realize that I don't play music to impress anybody .... I play what I want to hear . It must have a killer band and an acid tipped story ! More than once I have told a friend to turn that crap off ! when they crank up this new stuff made by people who couldn't put on a live show if they tried ! Take away all the technology and you WILL find out who can play or not ! Now HH .. as far as old and useless goes ... did you know that the space shuttle runs intel 386 cpu's ? .... Old and "useless" Huh ? Why not "tried and true"! :D , I can't argue the old part HehHeh ...
[ January 20, 2003, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: Moomawnster ]

JimmyBaja
01-20-2003, 05:38 AM
BTO and "Takin' Care Of Business", "Born To Be Wild"
Fast beat and lots of BASS

beached 1
01-20-2003, 06:19 AM
superdave013:
I wonder what Puff Daddy, Master Whatever and Pink will be doing at that age? Busted with a bag of rocks and a cheap hooker in an old Motel outside of Vegas. :D

beached 1
01-20-2003, 06:25 AM
Havasu Hangin':
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy25.gif LOL!
I was cleaning out the Spectra yesterday and found my old TSOL CD in the stereo. :D

Froggystyle
01-20-2003, 09:07 AM
Well, I just love to be the voice of the new generation (humorous statement at age 30...), but once the boat gets boomin, you hear nothing coming out of the speakers but techno (Paul Oakenfold, Sash, Tony Faline, Digweed, Rabbit in the Moon), intense, well thought-out rock (Alice in Chains, Zombie, Saliva, Van Halen) and last and formostly, OTR jams rap. Serious, hard hittin, booty shakin, speaker bumpin old and new school rap. Nelly, Ice-T, Dre, Eminem, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Mix a lot, Dr. Evil, etc... No shame in my game!
"I'll take the Escalade, my two-way, some bling bling on E-bay"
Motorola phone, FAT rims and a Kenwood... better holla!

Jordy
01-20-2003, 09:18 AM
Froggystyle:
"I'll take the Escalade, my two-way, some bling bling on E-bay"
Domino Mother F&^%a!!!

Ian
01-21-2003, 12:25 AM
Well now I know it's safe to park next River "sippin' on gin and juice" Dave and Froggy. Like I said before I typically listen to rock n' roll, but I got some country and rap in my CD case. When I'm at Havasu and the river I usually have rap flowing through the fosgates, unless I'm at the v-drive regattas!

cigarette1
01-21-2003, 10:15 AM
Like we always do about this time ..... Yeah !!!
[ January 21, 2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: cigarette1 ]

DogHouse
01-21-2003, 10:21 AM
So obviously people will never all agree on the type of music to play, but can we get some agreement on using decent manners when pulling up to a beach or cove... Figure out if someone who was there before you is already providing some tunes before playing stereo wars. If you don't like their music, wait for them to take a break or move on down the way and find your own spot. Nothing worse than dueling stereos 50' apart! Am I the only crotchety old fart that gets annoyed by that? :p
-brian

JetBoatRich
01-21-2003, 11:31 AM
DogHouse:
So obviously people will never all agree on the type of music to play, but can we get some agreement on using decent manners when pulling up to a beach or cove... Figure out if someone who was there before you is already providing some tunes before playing stereo wars. If you don't like their music, wait for them to take a break or move on down the way and find your own spot. Nothing worse than dueling stereos 50' apart! Am I the only crotchety old fart that gets annoyed by that? :p
-brian I am with you on this, hell if they are playing good music I will turn mine off. I am easy to get a long with :)

Froggystyle
01-21-2003, 11:37 AM
When we pull up to a sandbar... people don't complain much with what is going on next to them!
Playmates, assorted hot chicks, bouncing water bottles and dancing have that effect on people. wink
You would be suprised at how many mullet wearing AC/DC fans start liking Nelly when the tops come off!

JetBoatRich
01-21-2003, 11:44 AM
Froggystyle:
When we pull up to a sandbar... people don't complain much with what is going on next to them!
Playmates, assorted hot chicks, bouncing water bottles and dancing have that effect on people. wink
You would be suprised at how many mullet wearing AC/DC fans start liking Nelly when the tops come off! LMAO, they sure do!

DogHouse
01-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Froggystyle:
Guess that would be a "no" vote on the manners question. frown

JetBoatRich
01-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Froggystyle:
You would be suprised at how many mullet wearing AC/DC fans start liking Nelly when the tops come off! You mean these Mullet People:
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/wallpaper_salesman_s.JPG

Froggystyle
01-21-2003, 12:02 PM
DogHouse:
Froggystyle:
Guess that would be a "no" vote on the manners question. :( Actually, I have never had a conflict, as we pull up pretty far away from the crowd and the party comes to us... but thanks for reading manners into the equation.
BTW... anyone here who has been with us at the river can testify to the 100% truthful nature of this.
I never like to get in audio pissing contests with anyone. We are always as respectful to the rest of the crowd as decorum allows, and I am always told by the person next to me to "turn it up".
The only "dualing stereos" contest I have ever been in is with RiverDave, and in a purely good-natured and fun loving way. As I recall... after the contest, everyone piled into my boat and went for a cruise! RD included!
Squirts up DUDE!

DogHouse
01-21-2003, 12:07 PM
Fair enough... Feel free to bitch at me for pulling up and making too much noise, damn jacketed tailpipes are really obnoxious, even with mufflers!
-brian wink

WILDERTHANU54
01-21-2003, 12:11 PM
RÖCK.....
http://www.missmagmay.com/images/Power/purplelacessatd.jpg
http://klownrecords.com/images/burn/Burn-5.jpg
http://klownrecords.com/images/opt/The-Gang.jpg

HammerDown
01-21-2003, 01:00 PM
How about that...the guy on the far right(bottom pic) is an old band mate of mine...he's originally from the N.E. Philly Pa.area. I know he was the singer for the crue way back when...looks like he's still doing it.

superdave013
01-21-2003, 02:09 PM
WILDERTHANU54:
RÖCK.....
http://www.missmagmay.com/images/Power/purplelacessatd.jpg
LOL, well we know what Vince is up to these days. He's sharing a room with that Cory punkass on TV. haha
Really Vince is the best one on that show.
This thread got a little off from it's intent but that's ok. (that the stones were bad ass that night)
But I did learn somethings.
#1. That the Stones are as outdated as the outdrive on the back of Havasu Hangin's boat! :D
#2. Froggy must have a more kick ass system then RD :D :D :rolleyes: :D :D

WILDERTHANU54
01-21-2003, 04:42 PM
SORRY ABOUT THAT DAVE HAD TO MENTION THE CRÜE. THE STONES ARE ROCK GODS FOR SURE, IF NOT FOR THEM AND THAT FIRST ERA OF ROCK, WE MIGHT LIMITED TO GOD DAMN WAYNE NEWTON(lol)........ I'M A HUGE KEITH RICHARDS FAN!! I WAS NINE AT THE STEEL WHEELS TOUR WHEN GUNS N ROSES OPENED FOR THEM, BEEN A FAN EVER SINCE.
http://www.therolling-stones.com/Photos/images/keith03.jpg
[ January 21, 2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: WILDERTHANU54 ]

WILDERTHANU54
01-21-2003, 04:58 PM
HammerDown:
How about that...the guy on the far right(bottom pic) is an old band mate of mine...he's originally from the N.E. Philly Pa.area. I know he was the singer for the crue way back when...looks like he's still doing it. THATS JOHN CORABI, HE NOW PLAYS WITH NIKKI IN THEIR NEW BAND BRIDES OF DESTRUCTION.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/BOD.JPG
http://klownrecords.com/images/burn/Burn-1.jpg
http://klownrecords.com/images/burn/Burn-6.jpg
http://klownrecords.com/images/opt/Jonny-Layla-6.jpg
AND YES, HE WAS IN MÖTLEY IN '94
http://www.missmagmay.com/images/Power/mc94_5.jpg
[ January 21, 2003, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: WILDERTHANU54 ]

VillainDave
01-21-2003, 07:29 PM
I think all of it will still be around for a long time. I listen to just about all music but you named some of the top party music. So as long as there's parties
there will be:Rap, Hip Hop, rock and all that Techno stuff
We need more snow in Colorado. remember it all trickles down the river!!

HammerDown
01-21-2003, 09:02 PM
Wilderthanu54...I tryed to e-mail ya...no go???

WILDERTHANU54
01-22-2003, 10:53 AM
TRY THIS ONE KREUTZER54@HOTMAIL.COM

HavasuDreamin'
01-22-2003, 10:58 AM
Hey Wilder, is Tracy Guns in that new band? Who is the singer?
Disclaimer....Sorry to contribute to the hijacking of this thread. :D
[ January 22, 2003, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

WILDERTHANU54
01-22-2003, 11:19 AM
http://www.klownrecords.com/bridesofdestruction/images/BOD-Nikki-logo.jpg
NIKKI SIXX - BASS
TRACI GUNS- GUITAR
LONDON - VOCALS (formerly unknown)
SCOT COOGAN - DRUMS
JOHN CORABI - GUITAR

snappertapper
01-23-2003, 07:23 AM
it dosent sound good now, how will it in 30 years

Backtanner
01-23-2003, 10:00 AM
VillainDave:
So as long as there's parties there will be:Rap, Hip Hop, and all that Techno stuff That sure is depressing, but probably true as there sure seems to be an abundance of ethnically confused people running around.

Froggystyle
01-23-2003, 10:13 AM
Backtanner:
VillainDave:
So as long as there's parties there will be:Rap, Hip Hop, and all that Techno stuff That sure is depressing, but probably true as there sure seems to be an abundance of ethnically confused people running around. I am not ethnically confused. I am culturally diverse.
Take the blinders off and wake up. Music has no bearing on your ethnicity.
Perhaps you should take the sheet off and join the party...
[ January 23, 2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Froggystyle ]

Backtanner
01-23-2003, 10:25 AM
Froggystyle:
Backtanner:
VillainDave:
So as long as there's parties there will be:Rap, Hip Hop, and all that Techno stuff That sure is depressing, but probably true as there sure seems to be an abundance of ethnically confused people running around. I am not ethnically confused. I am culturaly diverse.
Take the blinders off and wake up. Music has no bearing on your ethnicity.
Perhaps you should take the sheet off and join the party... OK that did come off badly. I'll join the party...just don't make me wear dreadlocks though OK?

Froggystyle
01-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Deal... Silvers on my boat anytime. Actually, I switched to Miller Lite since the commercial with the catfight came out... so, ML's on my boat anytime!
[ January 23, 2003, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Froggystyle ]