PDA

View Full Version : Alarms

Coach
01-16-2003, 12:02 PM
Knowing most of you have some very expensive boats and stereo systems what do you do to protect it? I have heard more and more stories of people getting their boats stolen or their stereo systems stolen at the river. We have never run into this problem, but do leave our boats in the water while we are there. We camp very close to the water which may keep people away, but we are not in direct site of our boats at night. I have seen some simple devices that detect motion in the boat and trigger an alarm to alarms much like a car or home would use. Do you use an alarm if so what type? :confused:
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I couldn't figure where else to post it.

Coach
01-16-2003, 12:07 PM
:D :D :D

79Hawaiian
01-16-2003, 12:10 PM
I used to work for a car alarm company and I asked the techs the same question about boat alarms. The proximity sensor senses when a person gets too close to the car and send a chirp. If you don't back off it trips the alarm. They work great for convertables. If you stick your arm in it goes off. It would be perfect for the interior of a boat but there is one problem... the proximity sensor senses water in your body. In a water-rich enviroment like a boat the sensor would not know the difference between a body and a wet seat or towel. I guess if it was in storage and was dry it would be o.k.

24RODjr
01-16-2003, 12:10 PM
I'm curious too. I had a CD Changer jacked last summer...after one friggin USE!!!

RiverToysJas
01-16-2003, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I'm curious too.....what kind of alarms do you guys have in yours boats and where do you park them??? :cool:
RTJas :D
[ January 16, 2003, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

ROZ
01-16-2003, 12:30 PM
79Hawaiian:
The proximity sensor senses water in your body. In a water-rich enviroment like a boat the sensor would not know the difference between a body and a wet seat or towel. I guess if it was in storage and was dry it would be o.k. Why would this be a problem? Proximity sensors trip due to movement within the radared area when the alarm is armed....
[ January 16, 2003, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Bow Tie Omega
01-16-2003, 01:20 PM
I have been concerned about the same thing. I know that it is old technology, but what about a detachable face for your head. As far as the components though, I am going to have them under the deck of the boat behind a fiberglassed bulkhead that is sealed. My only acces to them will be via the subs mounted in the bulkhead and mount the subs with an odd head screw. It is impossible to make a boat robbery proof, but you can make it very difficult. I am also toying with the idea of installing a motion detector on the trailer (sealed of course) and having it be able to plug to my trucks alarm system just like the trailer lights but at an undisclosed location. Just ideas. It will not protect it from the pro's, but I think it would help with the unexpecting punk asses, which in my opinion is what you are mostly worried about at the River(The Pro's would take the whole damned boat.)
[ January 16, 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Bow Tie Omega ]

PussyPusher
01-16-2003, 01:35 PM
OK Let me tell you all exactly what you need. First you tie your dog up next to the boat at night. 2nd when the dog barks grab the shot gun and shot at anything that moves...
Is it really that hard?
Shawn

69 Elim
01-16-2003, 04:37 PM
Roz, are you in the alarm business as well as stereos? If so, what brands of alarms have this type of radar motion sensor? what about waves setting it off?
Need more info.........

Havasu Hangin'
01-16-2003, 04:53 PM
As Roz knows, I put an alarm in my boat. It's very nice, whether parked on the trailer, slip or beach. I walk away and "chirp" it just like a car alarm.
The only issue is the motion sensor. To be accurate, it needs to be embedded in the floor, down the centerline of the boat. The security area is an oval pattern, that protects the inside of the boat from motion...the movement of the boat (rocking) doesn't seem to affect it, although I haven't tried very hard to set it off.
On the trailer in a parking lot, it gives me piece of mind.
I hooked it up directly to my battery, so when I dock it, I just turn off and lock my Perko switch...the hatch can't be raised. The siren is pretty loud next to the vents.
The ignition kill will keep someone from starting it, even if they hook up a battery to the cigarette lighter.
Now all I need to do is get a boat that someone wants...
[ January 16, 2003, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

JetBoatRich
01-16-2003, 05:01 PM
PussyPusher:
OK Let me tell you all exactly what you need. First you tie your dog up next to the boat at night. 2nd when the dog barks grab the shot gun and shot at anything that moves...
Is it really that hard?
Shawn I got it! :D

ROZ
01-16-2003, 05:02 PM
Havasu Hangin':
As Roz knows, I put an alarm in my boat. It's very nice, whether parked on the trailer, slip or beach. I walk away and "chirp" it just like a car alarm.
The only issue is the motion sensor. To be accurate, it needs to be embedded in the floor, down the centerline of the boat. The security area is an oval pattern, that protects the inside of the boat from motion...the movement of the boat (rocking) doesn't seem to affect it, although I haven't tried very hard to set it off.
On the trailer in a parking lot, it gives me piece of mind.
I hooked it up directly to my battery, so when I dock it, I just turn off and lock my Perko switch...the hatch can't be raised. The siren is pretty loud next to the vents.
The ignition kill will keep someone from starting it, even if they hook up a battery to the cigarette lighter.
Now all I need to do is get a boat that someone wants... You're the man :cool:
You could pin or mag the hatch and cuddy door, too. Add mino piezo sirens all around if you really want to see them jump....They're f'n loud!
[ January 16, 2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Beautiful Noise
01-16-2003, 05:30 PM
I never leave home without taking my Portable Car Alarm it also Double's as my Boat Alarm.Nice thing about it,It Reset's it's self,What will they think of next :cool: When you have a SLOW BOAT you can't go Cheap on Protecting what's Your's :rolleyes:
Steve
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Redneck_Car_Alarm.JPG
[ January 16, 2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Beautiful Noise ]

PussyPusher
01-16-2003, 05:57 PM
See I told you so!!!!
:D

Coach
01-16-2003, 10:08 PM
The dog idea is great, except I have a chauhaua (no really I do) cry I don't even think he qualifies as a dog :confused:
I saw this for about $35 http://www.westmarine.com/images/full/31321_f.jpg
What do you think? I may give it a go and return it if is sucks.

locogringo
01-17-2003, 12:04 AM
They have LoJack for boats also.

locogringo
01-17-2003, 12:06 AM
also, they have a device that links to a company, similar to LoJack. As soon as it is moved without your permission, it notifies the company and they run a tracer on it and make a phone call to you. pRetty cool ut its like $50 bucks a month. I think it is more for the Yachts.

JetBoatRich
01-17-2003, 06:31 AM
locogringo:
They have LoJack for boats also. There was a thread on this a couple months ago and BoatCop did not reccommend this at the time. Not enough tracers on their land units.
It's fine if they steal it from your house?

TOBTEK
01-17-2003, 03:32 PM
JetBoatRich:
locogringo:
They have LoJack for boats also. There was a thread on this a couple months ago and BoatCop did not reccommend this at the time. Not enough tracers on their land units.
It's fine if they steal it from your house? I sell lo-jack for a living, or should I say LOJACK helps with the mortage and boat payment. I checked a few's ago. They(lojack) wants to get into the marine BIZ but hasnt as of yet. They felt there wasnt the demand needed to build the systems....as far as I was told.

Havasu Hangin'
01-17-2003, 03:40 PM
ROZ:
Add mino piezo sirens all around if you really want to see them jump....They're f'n loud! Yeah...I used to install these little "interior" pizo sirens...very nice...make your ears bleed.
huh?
Do they still have those sirens where you can record your own looping message?
what?

Mandelon
01-17-2003, 07:11 PM
It seems that a simple motion sensor, to detect an intruder's movement, not the movement of the boat itself is the right deal. You don't want it going off for every wake that goes by.
Obviously a detachable face receiver for sure, less obvious locations for speakers and amps. Engrave all your equipment.
I had a stereo on my last boat that wouldn't work for anyone without the correct CD inserted...don't remember the name, but its worthless if stolen. A professional thief would know that.....
Using allen head, torx or security torx connectors, not just phillips head screws would make a difference too. If they have to damage the goods during removal they may not be worth taking.....You can never stop a determined thief, just make it so hard he'd rather go rip off someone else.
How about a cover with a snap fitting? Wrap it up, plug it in. If a thief goes to disconnect snap...alarm sounds? I guess they could cut the cover...but its just another way to make it harder for the boat burglar.

jet4fun
01-17-2003, 07:23 PM
69 Elim:
Roz, are you in the alarm business as well as stereos? If so, what brands of alarms have this type of radar motion sensor? what about waves setting it off?
Need more info......... buy a clifford, theyre the best, plus you can get a waterproof transmitter... as far as how to protect; basically whatever you can think of. ive installed shock, motion, & tilt sensors(obviously you have tilt problems in boats when in the water)in boats. make sure to put a pin switch on any compartment that has some kind of door or hatch (duh, especially to protect the battery). i also recommend a self powered siren, its saved my vehicles more than once... like the saying goes, nothings theft proof, you can just make it more difficlut to steal. in the end thats why we all should have insurance.