PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe lake info

lovemyultra
06-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Is there any thing to be looking out for on the lake that common sense wont take care of

Dribble
06-20-2003, 04:16 PM
Depending on the size of your boat, don't get caught in the middle if the wind comes up. It usually does in the afternoon. There is a narrow passage into Emerald Bay with shallow water on both sides. There are some places where it looks like you're in one foot of water because it's so clear but it's actually about fifteen feet. The north east shore has some great spots to hang out and swim. The water is real cold this time of year.
Have fun

NoCal NoBoat
06-20-2003, 04:30 PM
I'll second that - pay attention to the wind. Back in the day, we rented a ski boat from Ski Run Marina. Had a slow ride home from the middle of the lake in the biggest rollers I ever saw in a lake. Not enough boat for the water that afternoon.

Mohavekid
06-20-2003, 04:36 PM
Like the others have said, watch the weather and wind in the afternoons. The waves can come up out of nowhere and can be a real problem. Try to stay relatively close to the shore unless your boat is pretty big.
The water is still real cold, so be careful. Hypothermia can set in in a hurry.
Other than that, have fun and enjoy how clear the water is. It looks quite shallow in a lot of spots, but is really quite deep.
Have fun.

spectratoad
06-20-2003, 06:06 PM
You can pretty much count on the wind around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. The water is cold. They do have tow service but it is about $200. I have lived here for thirty years and have only been on a boat in Tahoe once. I was thinking of going up this summer.

LakesOnly
06-20-2003, 06:43 PM
Tahoe is cold, rough (afternoons) and 1200 feet deep. Stay reasonably close to shore as you motor, particularly in the p.m.
lo