PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question...again???

HammerDown
07-06-2003, 08:08 AM
OK so I buy this 8200 Dell about 7 months ago...It's got 3 trays. 2 for CD and one for flopy.
So how do I know that somehow I can burn a CD?
My sister in laws HP has a "copy Disk" link under the "My Music" link...but not me :confused: Is there some other way I can also do this?
Were both using Win. Home Edition XP.
Someday I'll figure this thing out...maybe.
Thanks for any advice.
[ July 06, 2003, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

Moneypitt
07-06-2003, 09:31 AM
Sorry, but you're speaking greek to me.. BUT, while we are on the subject of computers, I also have a question. Why are some of the subjects on these forums wider than the screen? It is really a pain to have to run the text back and forth to read it. This isn't a problem on all the subjects, just some of them. Does it matter how large the writers screen is? Is there something I can do to make the text fit the screen?.... Any help for this non-computer type boater would be appreciated........Moneypitt

Hal
07-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Try looking in your programs for ROXIO easy CD creator 5, Click on applications, then click on disk copier. My Dell came with this program. Make a shortcut to your desktop for future use.
PS... It may have come on a disk with your computer that you need to install?
[ July 06, 2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Hal ]

GlastronGuy
07-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Try this:
Locate the file you want to copy.
Put the cursor on it.
Right click.
Select "Send To"
Select "CD-RW Drive"
Works in XP Pro if you have a burner.
I assume if you don't have a burner you'll get an error message or won't have an option to select CD-RW.

MagicMtnDan
07-06-2003, 10:49 AM
Figure out which drive is which (one is the CD burner and one a player). For example, your 'D' drive could be your CD (DVD too if you have a combo) player and your 'E' drive could be your burner. You might even want to put a post-it note on the face of each drive indicating which is which.
Put a blank CD (unrecorded) into the burner and the disk you want to copy from into the player. Click on Start, Programs - look for Roxio Easy CD Creator (probably version 5 or higher). Click on that program and then, using the program's window that opened up, find the source files (if they're on a CD in your player go to that drive letter and find the songs/stuff you want to copy onto the blank CD. You can drag the song/file down into the lower window or you can click the "Add" button to do that.
Once you have all the stuff in that window (check to see you've not added too much - more than the blank CD can handle which is about 650Mb) then you can click on the record button. The only other thing you'll have to do at some point is to tell the program to close the session which terminates the recording and makes the CD ready to be played.
I hope this helps. Good luck!

bigq
07-06-2003, 10:52 AM
GlastronGuy:
Try this:
Locate the file you want to copy.
Put the cursor on it.
Right click.
Select "Send To"
Select "CD-RW Drive"
Works in XP Pro if you have a burner.
I assume if you don't have a burner you'll get an error message or won't have an option to select CD-RW. Yup XP will burn without the extra software. If it is a CDRW XP should ask to format ir when you stick it in so you can just drag N' Drop on the CD icon.

HammerDown
07-06-2003, 02:12 PM
With out a doubt this place can be AWSOME!!!
Under "programs" I do have "Roxy Easy CD Creator 5".
Click "applications" I'm seeing>
*Direct CD Format Utility
*Disc Copier
*Easy CD Creator
I also have a Disc that came with my Dell "For installation/reinstallation Roxy Easy CD Creator 5.2 Basic."
Question...Should I go for the "Disc Copier"??? or the "Easy CD Format"???
Either one wants me to agree to there License agreement.
And would I be correct that I don't need to install and download the extra Roxio Easy CD Disc that came with my Dell (since it's already in my Programs)???
Thanks again for any tips.

Freak
07-06-2003, 02:24 PM
Yep
You want to go to copy cd. If I follow you have 2 cd drives. Normally the one on top is the cd drive and the second one is the read/write drive. Put the original cd in the top and the blank in the second drive. Usually if you put a blank in the cdrw (the second drive) the roxio software will start up on its own. The disk from dell is to reload Roxio if you ever need to.
[ July 06, 2003, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Freak ]

HammerDown
07-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the quick reply...I just looked at my Invoice slip...My Dell came with "40x/10x40x max CD-RW Drive. (what ever that means)...lol???
I've been digging into it a bit...So how would I know if I need a "CD-Recordable...or a CD-Re writable disc to burn a music cd???
And thanks...I was wondering which drawer the copy/play disc went into...I'll give it a try, when I get some blank cd's.
On my Sister in Laws HP...the Computer even opened the drawers and walked her through it step by step...that would have been great for a beginner like me...
Thanks again for all the help. wink

mickeyfinn
07-06-2003, 04:26 PM
Use the cd-r disc. They are cheaper. Don't format them just use roxio to copy the disc. The only time you want to format the cd is if you are backing up data automatically. If you are backing up data manually use easy CD creator. This method will give you a disc you can read anywhere. If you watch the sunday paper you will be able to find cd-r's for basically free after rebate. I have been burning cd's for several years and have yet to buy any. I invested 40.00 up front and when I get that rebate back I go and buy more the next time they are on sale.

Rexone
07-06-2003, 04:27 PM
Moneypitt:
Sorry, but you're speaking greek to me.. BUT, while we are on the subject of computers, I also have a question. Why are some of the subjects on these forums wider than the screen? It is really a pain to have to run the text back and forth to read it. This isn't a problem on all the subjects, just some of them. Does it matter how large the writers screen is? Is there something I can do to make the text fit the screen?.... Any help for this non-computer type boater would be appreciated........Moneypitt I believe its triggered by the largest image posted in the thread. Some people don't size their images small enough and that's the result when they post. Craig should probably set an image size max if that's possible which I think would prevent this from happening.

HammerDown
07-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Yea Mike, can you do something about those image size issues...Sometimes I feel like I need a 36" Monitor...lol.

Boozer
07-07-2003, 06:00 AM
Its all those crazy people with the big giant avatars. Something should really be done about that.

Boozer
07-07-2003, 06:00 AM
:D :D :D :D

VillainDave
07-07-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Boozer:
Its all those crazy people with the big giant avatars. Something should really be done about that. Geeez Boozer I'm with you those are some damn huge avitars

HammerDown
07-07-2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the advice...it worked! I was able to burn a CD with Roxio... First time...cool huh!
Next question whats the difference between >>>>
HL-DT-ST CD Rom GCR-8481B
and
Samsung CD-R/RW SW-240b ???
Thanks again...big time.