PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS- Mass Blackouts Eastern US

roln 20s
08-14-2003, 12:52 PM
Has anyone seen anything on this yet? From what CNN is saying, New York, New Jersey, Detroit, Toronto, Cleveland, Ottawa...NO POWER. No contact with subways, lights, etc...
Roln 20s

BajaMike
08-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Most of my company's east coast sites have no power.
Here's the link to CNN.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/08/14/power.outage/index.html
[ August 14, 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: BajaMike ]

Boozer
08-14-2003, 12:56 PM
Anyone want to meet me in NY to do some good old fashioned looting?

BajaMike
08-14-2003, 12:59 PM
That link didn't work...try this one.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-08-14-power-out_x.htm

summerlove
08-14-2003, 01:00 PM
Bloomberg just said "No evidence of terrorists" That's the good news. bad news, it's not dark yet! :D

MagicMtnDan
08-14-2003, 01:01 PM
Huge power blackout from New York to Detroit and into Canada (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2003/08/14/national1646EDT0668.DTL)
If it was night time there you could count on seeing an increase in babies being born in 9 months. That's what happened thanks to "The Great Blackout of 1965" - click here for more info (http://blackout.gmu.edu/highlights/blackout65g.html)
And then there was another big blackout in 1977 (very different results than in '65) - click here for more info (http://blackout.gmu.edu/highlights/blackout77a.html)

cyclone
08-14-2003, 01:05 PM
i just got off the cell phone with my brother. he's sitting in a bar in Manhattan drinking a beer. no one knows what's going on because they've got no tv to watch..he says everyone is being pretty chill about it because its not dark outside yet.

hd&boatrider
08-14-2003, 01:14 PM
BajaMike:
Most of my company's east coast sites have no power.
Here's the link to CNN.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/08/14/power.outage/index.html Mike---I bet the phone systems are still up and running though aren't they.... :) :)
em me and let me know.

Boozer
08-14-2003, 01:15 PM
Could you imagine being stuck in Detroit of all places with no electricity after dark. That is going to be looter central. Rapes, murders, looting. It will be all out anarchy without power in that place over night.

Hermosa
08-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Listening to CNN, you would think there was another plane stuck into a building, they are going crazy, making waaaaay to big of a deal out of a power outage. Welcome to our West Coast power outage world baby!

Hermosa
08-14-2003, 01:22 PM
They are making a bigger deal out of this power thing than when Southern California gets a little rain. Mass hysteria.

Infomaniac
08-14-2003, 01:24 PM
They should go to the lake and not worry about it.

Hermosa
08-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Yet another note, my co-worker is keeping count, since the power went out just over an hour ago, they have said the word "terrorist" 24 times and "terrorist attack" 45 times.... they love to start shit or get people worked up. If they say "terrorist attack" over 100 times before 4:00 PM on CNN, I have to by my group drinks. I think I will loose....

roln 20s
08-14-2003, 01:29 PM
The news channels are going crazy over this, but good to see the New Yorkers are just chillin in Manhattan bars until it gets figured out. That is pretty funny.
I could make the power come back on...for one million dollars, wait one BILLION dollars!!
Dr Evil aka Roln 20s

cyclone
08-14-2003, 01:32 PM
im wondering how the cell phone towers still have power??? my bros cell phone is working just fine.
:confused:

hd&boatrider
08-14-2003, 01:35 PM
I heard cell service is out also. You would think they would have some kind of battery backup in place. I tried calling some customer locations in MI and NY but all circuits are busy. Who knows....maybe something else is up? I know if I wanted to hit some country hard I would go after the infastructure....power grids, phone service, water distribution areas. What do you think we did in Iraq first?
I am sure it is just a power failure but the cell service makes no sense to me.

hd&boatrider
08-14-2003, 01:36 PM
cyclone:
im wondering how the cell phone towers still have power??? my bros cell phone is working just fine.
:confused: I saw your post after mine. I guess maybe cell service is not out based on your info. Maybe it is just a particular cheap ass cell phone service provider that did not spend the money on BBU.

Boozer
08-14-2003, 01:37 PM
hd&boatrider:
I heard cell service is out also. You would think they would have some kind of battery backup in place. I tried calling some customer locations in MI and NY but all circuits are busy. Who knows....maybe something else is up? I know if I wanted to hit some country hard I would go after the infastructure....power grids, phone service, water distribution areas. What do you think we did in Iraq first?
I am sure it is just a power failure but the cell service makes no sense to me. It's being caused by a big fire in a New York power plant. It could be a "terrorist attack" but I have a feeling it's just the result of some kind of stupid accident.

Boozer
08-14-2003, 01:39 PM
State officials said the Niagara-Mohawk power grid was overloaded. The grid provides power for New York and stretches into Canada. The officials said the outage is likely a natural occurrence and not related to terrorism.
Looks out hot boat friends from ottawa our out of power too.

Boozer
08-14-2003, 01:42 PM
This is my favorite
"We are going to have a situation where people are going to have to walk a long distance. They need to be careful," Bloomberg said. "Our advice is to go home, open up your windows, drink a lot of liquids."
Sounds like it's gonna be a while before people get power back. Must suck to be in New York right about now.

mbrown2
08-14-2003, 01:45 PM
Gonna be well into the evening before that grid even starts coming online.

cyclone
08-14-2003, 01:50 PM
bummer! its hot and sticky in NY this time of year.

Back Forty
08-14-2003, 01:52 PM
Your cell phone still works based on the fact that each tower is supported by a generator. The phone companies power "EVERYTHING" from battery banks (DC-AC converters) at each central office which are backed up by generator service. All Co-locate/cell phone service as well as any phone service is based from these systems. This is why the phone works when power is out.

Hermosa
08-14-2003, 01:52 PM
cyclone:
:confused: If your brother is in lower Manhattan and close to the Verizon building, he will get service due to their generators. A lot of outlying areas will have dead towers, coverage should be in full service in lower Manhattan.

Hermosa
08-14-2003, 01:55 PM
Back Forty:
Your cell phone still works based on the fact that each tower is supported by a generator. The phone companies power "EVERYTHING" from battery banks (DC-AC converters) at each central office which are backed up by generator service. All Co-locate/cell phone service as well as any phone service is based from these systems. This is why the phone works when power is out. Yea... what he said! : )

topless
08-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Bloomberg said. "Our advice is to go home, open up your windows, drink a lot ."
When in doubt, drink alot??????? Hmmmmmmm

Warlock28
08-14-2003, 01:56 PM
For Thirtysix Billion Dollars and a phone call to Grey Davis, we can fix the problem (hehehe) .
(sorry just had to)!
:D :D :D

MagicMtnDan
08-14-2003, 01:58 PM
Boozer:
Could you imagine being stuck in Detroit of all places with no electricity after dark. That is going to be looter central. Rapes, murders, looting. It will be all out anarchy without power in that place over night. Isn't that the description of Detroit when the power is ON?

CA Stu
08-14-2003, 01:59 PM
Shouldn't this thread be titles "Gray Davis on Tour"?
Thanks
CA Stu

MagicMtnDan
08-14-2003, 02:00 PM
roln 20s:
I could make the power come back on...for one million dollars, wait one BILLION dollars!!
Dr Evil aka Roln 20s Turn your speakers on and click here (OK for work) (http://www.matthewbarr.co.uk/sounds/1million.wav)

MagicMtnDan
08-14-2003, 02:02 PM
Arnold and Warren Buffet planned the blackout as part of the Terminator's campaign. You'll see Arnold on the news tonight explaining how he wanted the northeastern US to know what it's like to have Gray Davis running things.

hd&boatrider
08-14-2003, 02:04 PM
Back Forty:
Your cell phone still works based on the fact that each tower is supported by a generator. The phone companies power "EVERYTHING" from battery banks (DC-AC converters) at each central office which are backed up by generator service. All Co-locate/cell phone service as well as any phone service is based from these systems. This is why the phone works when power is out. You in the phone industry Back Forty?

hd&boatrider
08-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Hermosa:
cyclone:
:confused: If your brother is in lower Manhattan and close to the Verizon building, he will get service due to their generators. A lot of outlying areas will have dead towers, coverage should be in full service in lower Manhattan. Ever heard of BBU for each and every tower? I bet in todays environment that some of these cell service providers have tried to save a few dollars and not covered everywhere as they should. Just a thought.

Back Forty
08-14-2003, 02:12 PM
Mostly work with RF um... secret squirrel military stuff.
I did a small stint away from it doing installs in the C.O.'s around Dayton Oh, Columbus and Indy. Doing work for the phone company as well as co-locates. A tuff business in such a union environment. Telecomunications act of 1996 you know. argue
Also did inmate phone systems for the state pens in Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Mo. Lived in Detroit for a bit. C.O. wise I was in Ameritech offices.

hd&boatrider
08-14-2003, 02:15 PM
Back Forty:
Mostly work with RF um... secret squirrel military stuff.
I did a small stint away from it doing installs in the C.O.'s around Dayton Oh, Columbus and Indy. Doing work for the phone company as well as co-locates. A tuff business in such a union environment. Telecomunications act of 1996 you know. argue
Also did inmate phone systems for the state pens in Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Mo. Lived in Detroit for a bit. C.O. wise I was in Ameritech offices. I have been in the telecommunications industry since 6-5-78 (start date at AT&T). Went the Pac Bell route during the split up and started my own company in 1985. Best decision I ever made in my life :)

Jordy
08-14-2003, 02:16 PM
Even in Arizona, a vast majority of the cell sites have backup power that will keep them up for a day or so without needing fuel. Just little 10-15kW units keep us talking. :D

Back Forty
08-14-2003, 02:17 PM
Also in the process of setting up a company of my own non-related. wink

hd&boatrider
08-14-2003, 02:17 PM
Tom Leykis is on the air and they are taking bets on how many people will die tonight if the power stays out back east.....lol Pretty sick shiznit

Trailer Park Casanova
08-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Power plants all watch 60 cycles (frequency).
Loss of load on a system causes the frequency to go apeshit.
When the cycles get to 59.9 cycles you get an alarm in the control room.
At 59.8 you jump outta your seat and hit the throttle to get more power in the system and try to drive the frequency to 60 cycles.
At 59.7 you seperate your plant from the grid and open your circuit breakers, or the automatic controls will do it for you..
The steam fired turbines take 12 hours to several days to get back on line,, the hydro plants can get back on within hours, the gas turbine plants within minutes,, the Nuke plants wait until the trouble is straightened out, then close back in.
Coming back on line can be like trying to start out in 5th gear. If everyone shuts off their A/c and lights,, it's easier for the power plants to close back in on the system.
[ August 14, 2003, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

Dyce51
08-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Trust me I live in Ohio and the power went out at 430 it SUCKS but we got ours back on so