PDA

View Full Version : I've got boat lust (gotta chubby for Howard 25 Bullet)

MagicMtnDan
07-07-2003, 06:19 PM
I had the day off today and visited Howard Boats in Valencia. Saw Gene (and Mike) again and we spent some time talking about the 25 Bullet.
Saw GT's Quad-rotor 25 sitting there (waiting for a prop?) and another one alongside it - a red, white and blue one. Happened to see Dr. Margarita's 25 Bullet out back waiting for the next step (rigging?). All of them are very saweet looking boats.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/383afrontwater25.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383adm25.JPG
Thanks GT - I borrowed your pics.
OK so we got that settled. Awesome looking boats. Apparently even better on the water under power (haven't ridden in one yet - hint, hint). Sure they're expensive but I've got it justified (high quality costs money, great resale, price will only go up, etc., etc.). And my wife is up for it but (there's always a but)...it's still expensive.
So I now have Howard 25 Bullet info all over the place (including the bathroom where I do my serious lusting er reading). I want one of these things on the water by next spring!
Questions:
1. I'm thinking of going with the 496HO motor. Should be good for 65 I'm guessing. Can I add a Whipple later on?
2. If I do the Whipple will I need to upgrade the drive too? I'd like to see 70+
3. Would I be crazy to think about putting this thing in salt water? Seems like it'd be fun to go do some port-hopping for lunches, etc.
4. What are must-have options? I figure I gotta have these:
A. Bimini top (8'?)
B. Dual batteries
C. Bitchin' hydraulic scissors lift on engine cover
D. Upgraded stereo (should I do this after?)
E. Think I'll dump the doors on the cuddy (going for the open bow) - don't see needing them and they'll save me about $1500 for the pair
F. Do I want/need a depth finder?
Howard uses Ellis trailers - how are they? All everyone seems to talk about is Extreme.
OK, so I'm talking about this boat seriously. Still a ways off from ordering one. But I'm lusting big time.
Comments? Suggestions? Have at it, I've got my flame retardant pants on :D

Jungle Boy
07-07-2003, 06:28 PM
That's a nice boat. Not having much of a clue on the cost of something like that, what's a rig like that worth fully loaded with a 496 engine?

MagicMtnDan
07-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Jungle Boy:
That's a nice boat. Not having much of a clue on the cost of something like that, what's a rig like that worth fully loaded with a 496 engine? I believe $70-80k (496HO is $80k +/- depending on options)

HOOTER SLED-
07-08-2003, 01:23 PM
Hey Dan,
I don't think we talked about this on Saturday. Have you shopped or visited any other boat builders??? L.A. Boat Show?? Did you go?? I've been going for the last few years. So when the money is right I can narrow it down to what I want. There are a lot of damn good boats out there in that price range. Oh yeah remember SCHIADAAAAAA :D :D Did I mention there in Torrance?? :D I think you should consider what you want to do with your stereo before they build the interior. Then you can get the right placement for your speakers, amps, etc., however big you want to go. Man, you did alot of sitting and drinking beer on that shore, are you gonna get use out of the extra money you spend for more horsepower?? :D If you need a co-pilot on some test rides, just let me know. :D :D
Later,
Jason

HavasuDreamin'
07-08-2003, 01:34 PM
Negative on the salt water if you want the boat to look good in 10 years.

MagicMtnDan
07-08-2003, 01:49 PM
HOOTER SLED-:
Man, you did alot of sitting and drinking beer on that shore, are you gonna get use out of the extra money you spend for more horsepower?? :D If you need a co-pilot on some test rides, just let me know. :D :D
Later,
Jason Thanks for your input JG! I sat on the shore because I am boatless and Jorge (George) had a small problem with his Essex that should be fixed this week so he can spend a lot of time ON the water this weekend.
I'd be happy to have you "co-pilot" on test rides and certainly help shop - I like shopping especially for boats. :)

Havasu_Dreamin
07-08-2003, 02:16 PM
MagicMtnDan:
4. What are must-have options? I figure I gotta have these:
A. Bimini top (8'?)
B. Dual batteries
C. Bitchin' hydraulic scissors lift on engine cover
D. Upgraded stereo (should I do this after?)
E. Think I'll dump the doors on the cuddy (going for the open bow) - don't see needing them and they'll save me about $1500 for the pair
F. Do I want/need a depth finder?
Howard uses Ellis trailers - how are they? All everyone seems to talk about is Extreme.A. Definitely, I'd go with the 8 foot one as it provides more shade. Wish I would ahve done this the first time around
B. At least, depends on what you do with your stereo.
C. Look bitchen but not necessary, IMHO. The associated money could be better spent elsewhere, i.e: stereo. The 25 comes with an electric hatch lift standard, right? But, if you've got the green to splurge, go for it as it will free up some space, albeit not much, and be a "cleaner" install.
D. Personally, I'd do it when the boat is being built that way everything comes together just right. That being said I suggest Marks AutoSound (http://www.marksautosound.com) in San Gabriel. He will work with Howard assuming they will work with him. If Howard won't, skip the stereo from Howard and then go to Mark and have him do an install. He has some very good pictures of the installs they do on his website. Very clean installations and very high end = $$$$ but definitely worth it. I can reccommend him unequivocally. RD, among others, also like Wired For sound out of Temecula.
E. Probably a good idea, unless of course the cuddy in the 25 is big enough to sleep in, then you may want to reconsider.
F. Yes, I'd install a depth finder and halon system solely for the purpose of the discounts on your insurance, I get 10% off for having them on my boat. Also, the halon system counts as your required fire extinguisher.
As far as trailers, I don't know squat about Ellis other than that they have been around for years. Extreme trailers are really good though and they just look bitchen!
That's what I would do. Now, what are you going to do? :p

TPI
07-08-2003, 06:07 PM
You guys definately have your ducks in a row, and are providing MMD with some good input. I like to break everything down to this:
1. Pick a Hull that works! There are several manufacturers that make boats that run pretty good up to about 77, then its all over after that. If you have no intention of ever going faster than that. You have some choices.
2. Does the hull you picked have a resale? If your 21 years old, Who cares, finance the world, no one could have told me what to do with my money at 21-24 years old! Your investing money, whether its $65K or $85K its still a lot, and unless your paying cash, your finacing a pretty good $$ so make every dollar work for you, its possible, dont laugh.
3. What are you planning on doing with the boat, where do you go, how many people ride in your taxi, it makes a difference on the way your boat will perform and what size to buy.
4. Options: Not that big of a deal when your not sure what boat hull your going to hold them together with. A good manufacturer will give a good price on options right off the bat. I always question someone that reduces a price way under the listed price, I wonder if its a good deal or not. By all means, plan out your options, 10 $1000 parts = an extra 10 large ones, so definately plan it out, but look at #1 and 2 above the most seriously. Thats how Ive been doing it for a while, and my wife and I have not lost money ( except when I was 21-24 yrs old). These investments have all included my family and they are behind me on any boat/engine combo I want to bring home. Good luck :D

25 Eagle
07-08-2003, 07:03 PM
That boat should see 70+ right out of the gate with the HO motor or somethings wrong.