PDA

View Full Version : Manual Locking Hubs On 4X4s

GlastronGuy
08-18-2003, 06:03 PM
I am looking at getting a 4X4 pickup to haul behind my motorhome. It seems most trucks now days have a button you press on the dash or some such thing for the 4 wheel drive. Can manually locking hubs be added to these vehicles so that they can be towed 4 down?

77charger
08-18-2003, 06:12 PM
I think there are kits availible to switch the hubs.I know on my 89 burb it has autos but warn makes a manual hub for it.The autos are piece of shit for any serious off roading.They seem to disengage and re engage never had that prob with manuals though

Trailer Park Casanova
08-18-2003, 06:14 PM
The auto hubs on most new 4x4 are auto release when the Vehicle is backed up a few feet AFTER it is taken out of 4WD.
So when you back up the vehicle after being in 4X4,(if you select 2wd) the front drive line is then completely disengaged, and won't re-engage until you put your TRANSFER case into 4x4 again.
Get it?
Check to see if the vehicle you're towing has this feature. Most built in the past 20 years do. Not all, but most do.
It should be all you need to tow. If you have the GM pushbuton selector, pushing both 2 and 4 wheel drive at the same time, puts the rear wheels in neutral too (along with the transmission being in neutral as well).
My auto hubs on all my GM vehicles since the late 70's worked great.
[ August 18, 2003, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

jlnorthrup122
08-18-2003, 06:17 PM
originally posted by 77 Charger:
The autos are piece of shit for any serious off roading.They seem to disengage and re engage never had that prob with manuals though
This is why we install lockers! :D
What seems to be the problem towing the pushbutton

GlastronGuy
08-18-2003, 06:23 PM
jlnorthrup122:
originally posted by 77 Charger:
The autos are piece of shit for any serious off roading.They seem to disengage and re engage never had that prob with manuals though
This is why we install lockers! :D
What seems to be the problem towing the pushbutton From what I ahve been reading, the manuals are best for towing since they just basically free wheel. Some of the push button types have to have a pump installed to keep it lubed up.

dorC
08-19-2003, 09:32 AM
Gm trucks can be flat towed in neutral by pushing both buttons.

superdave013
08-19-2003, 07:47 PM
Trailer Park Casanova:
The auto hubs on most new 4x4 are auto release when the Vehicle is backed up a few feet AFTER it is taken out of 4WD.
So when you back up the vehicle after being in 4X4,(if you select 2wd) the front drive line is then completely disengaged, and won't re-engage until you put your TRANSFER case into 4x4 again.
Get it?
Check to see if the vehicle you're towing has this feature. Most built in the past 20 years do. Not all, but most do.
It should be all you need to tow. If you have the GM pushbuton selector, pushing both 2 and 4 wheel drive at the same time, puts the rear wheels in neutral too (along with the transmission being in neutral as well).
My auto hubs on all my GM vehicles since the late 70's worked great. I had major trouble with the auto hubs on both of my 4X4. My Ranger would unlock the hubs if it rolled back just a little bit. Did not matter if it was in 2 hi or 4lo. When you would let the clutch out on a hill the truck would roll back a tad and the fockers would unlock and bam! Would need a new set. I went though 11 sets of them before I put a set of manuals on. My one ton GMC broke one and I put a set of Warn HD deals on it and was all good.
I do admit that I wheeled that Ranger pretty hard. Broke a bunch of other drive train parts too but those hubs were supa weak. Once it got full Currie running gear (9" with 4:56 locker and ARB locker up front) I was good to go just about anyplace I wanted. :D
This was a bitchin lil truck that ran for over 300,000 miles of my abuse!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9jpn_river_ready.jpg