PDA

View Full Version : lake mead

ed bullock
01-02-2003, 06:54 PM
looking to go to overton on mead. how is it ? is this time of year good to go ? how is lodging ? any help on this would be great. thanks

twistedpair
01-02-2003, 07:15 PM
Any particular reason for Overton? This time of year you pretty much have the lake to yourself, so you could put in at Callville or Hemenway and still have great boating.
I think the lodging and nightlife would be a little better down south, you could stay at the Hacienda or Fiesta and still be within 30 min. of the launch.

ed bullock
01-03-2003, 05:40 AM
thanks for the reply. i am coming in from salt lake overton would be the closest. i have never been to mead so i am not familiar with it. the night life isnt too important to me on this trip. just bought another boat i want to try it out.however i am open to suggestions. thanks ed

THOR
01-03-2003, 06:39 AM
Last summer (when I lived there) the Overton and Echo Bay ramps sucked. Lots of holes and rocks etc.
If you dont mind driving and staying in henderson at the Fiesta, go launch at Callville. Very big, roomy, nice ramp, etc. Plus you can take a ride to the dam. I used to love dam rides in the winter. Never anyone there.

ed bullock
01-03-2003, 06:49 AM
thanks i will consider these options. i can get free rooms in mesquite i was told it is only 30 miles to overton. would it be worth my drine time to pass up overton ?

THOR
01-03-2003, 07:26 AM
I honestly done know if it will be worth it if you are staying for free in Mesquite. That's a tough of one.

twistedpair
01-03-2003, 07:51 AM
You might try posting your question here: www.lasvegas***boats.com (http://www.lasvegas***boats.com) maybe someone has recent info on overton. Mesquite is pretty cool, especially for free! I'd say that unless the overton ramp is completely screwed, go for it, its a long twisty drive to Calville.

burtandnancy
01-03-2003, 07:52 AM
Just got back yesterday, Overton's ramp is a little rough but usable (due to low water level. There is some interesting sight seeing there as an old abandond (sp) city (St Thomas) has started to reappear. If you can get someone to show you the private marina, you're in for a treat. Overton Marina is the country club of all marina's bar non.The store & coffee shop are great, fuel docks friendly and plenty of parking. And while there, you should go back to Mesquite via Valley of Fire. The weather is supposed to be good for a few more days...

THOR
01-03-2003, 08:07 AM
Ed, definetely go to lasvegas***boats.com......
What size boat to you have? I had trouble last summer with mine, its a 24' Eliminator. No go for me at Overton. It doesnt drop off deep enough for the bigger boats.

ed bullock
01-03-2003, 01:13 PM
the boat is a 27 foot crown line ltd. sound like it may be too big. what are your thoughts ?

twistedpair
01-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Nah, I think Burtandnancy have like a 40 footer. You could always call the marina.

ed bullock
01-03-2003, 06:25 PM
posted over at vegas hot boat waiting for response. im going first week in feb. i guess if the weather is bad i can always go back to mesquite and spend money there. thanks

lakemeadbums
01-03-2003, 07:32 PM
FYI - Echo Bay is about 1/2 hour from Overton and they totally re-did the launch ramp this fall, last time we were there it was almost done and was a lot better than in the summer. Watch out though we hear through people that went at Thanksgiving that the channel between the Overton Arm and the bigger water towards mid point is getting more and more shallow - BRING ON THE RAIN AND RUN OFF FOR SUMMER!!!! Good luck!!!

ed bullock
01-03-2003, 09:30 PM
thanks for all the info. i will ask again closer to trip date and see if any one has been . thanks again. is echo bay better than overton ? im not really looking for a lake tour now just want to try the boat out. i just cant wait until the weather breaks here. sounds like all of us in the west is praying for rain. we need a good snow pack here badly. thanks ed

lakemeadbums
01-03-2003, 10:17 PM
Well at Overton Beach there isn't a hotel, camp ground only. Echo Bay has a hotel, camp ground and RV camp - it's not 4 star but it's actually been improved a lot lately. There is one restaurant - The Tale O The Whale - it's probably only open for lunch this time of year. To make Reses's call Seven Crowns in Irvine, CA 800-752-9669 and you can call Echo Bay Resort directly to ask about the ramp, etc. 702-394-4000. Personally I like the Overton arm the best, lots of sandy beaches, (not that you'd care about that this time of year) but it's nice. Have a great time if you go. Also a # to call for local weather up there and conditions of the lake is 702-736-3854. :D

Lakemead1
01-06-2003, 08:16 AM
Callville was fine this last weekend, but it got a little cold. We just went out to Sandy. The water was glass though!