PDA

View Full Version : Towing 5th wheel and boat together

Dragboat Dad
08-21-2003, 08:42 PM
What kind of Drivers license do I need in California? I know there is a 65' length limit.

Sangster
08-21-2003, 08:51 PM
I believe you need a "Class A" license....

Akamatsu
08-22-2003, 07:40 AM
Sangster:
I believe you need a "Class A" license.... And doubles/triples endorsement. Also your tow vehicle has to have a GVWR of 10,000 or more.

MKEELINE
08-22-2003, 08:57 AM
How many of you do this? How well does it work? What are the specifics on the trailer requirements?

y2kboti
08-22-2003, 10:18 AM
Yes it does require a class A license and yes there is a 65' limit but I've never heard of a minimum 10k lbs GVWR. Can anyone back that up or have a link? Something else that should be considered, there is NO(as is none, not one) fifth wheel company that designs their chassis for use with pulling. I'm not saying they will but it is a possibility they could void the factory warranty.
MKEELINE I have not heard of any trailer requirements other than the 65' limit and you can only tow behind a fifth wheel, ball hitch trailers are not allowed!

Floored
08-23-2003, 05:52 AM
Ca used to have a non-commercial class A lic. for RVr's to do just that

Akamatsu
08-23-2003, 06:55 PM
Floored:
Ca used to have a non-commercial class A lic. for RVr's to do just that Non-commercial class A allows the pulling of a Trailer with a GVWR of greater than 10,000 lbs, but does NOT allow for pulling 2 trailers. You need a Commercial license with Double/Triples endorsement.
As far as the tow vehicle being over 10,000 GVWR, this was what was told to me by the CHP office some years ago when I was first interested in pulling two trailers. I have not been able to find anything to back it up online, but the CVC is not the easiest thing in the world to search.
Akamatsu

Trailer Park Casanova
08-25-2003, 03:55 AM
I started a thread on this back in May.
The middle trailer has to be a 5th wheel, with operating brakes.
You will be stopped constantly by the Cali CHP according to those in this forum that tow such a set up.
BoatCop added a description of the Arizona version of the law which doesn't vary much from the Calif.
65 ft max/5th wheel center vech/operating brakes/ lic endorsement in Calif.
See more and more people towing this way at the dunes. The issues are (usually) restrictions on what the third vehicle can weigh among other 3rd vehicle rules (size ect).
The Tecopa pass from Death Valley to 'Vegas usually has a CHP roadstop winter Sunday mornings busting people returning from duneing with the three vehicle set up.
[ August 25, 2003, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

JRM 1217
09-04-2003, 01:52 PM
HEY TOM - THERE IS A CLASS "A" RECREATION LICENSE THAT YOU CAN GET AND THE TEST IS REALLY EASY, (SO A FRIEND OF MINE SAID).

superV
09-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Here in the Mid West and most places east of denver you can pull in tandem with bumper hitches,
you just have to be under 60' and 70' in some states, however it is not uncommon to get pulled over and have to inform the officer of his state laws. There is a web site just for this Ill see if I can find a link.