PDA

View Full Version : 5.8L Ford upgrades??

Q-ball
12-27-2002, 03:49 AM
I have a 93 F-150 4x4 supercab with a 8" lift 35" tires, 4.56 gears, smog legal headers and dual exhaust. I'm thinking of adding the Edelbrock heads, cam, and a powerdyne supercharger. Will my E40D (?) handle this increase in power? I have already installed a B&M shift improver kit. I pull a 22' camp trailer and of course my 18' jet boat with the truck. Just looking for some opinions. Thanks, Ryan

MAXIMUS
12-27-2002, 08:24 AM
Q-BALL I have a 92 F-150 wiht 5.8
Just got done building a 392 stroker motor with roush heads, edlebrock performer intake, 61 mm throttle body, roller cam, headers, dual 3" exhaust etc... Smog legal & so far it has been a pain in the ass! Im getting the bugs worked out but this modern day fuel injection & computer crap is a real head trip! 31" off road TA's 3:55 rear end. I havent towed yet but it makes real good torque up to 4000 & runs past 5. The transmission will be fine I feel as long as I don't push it to hard.
It is fresh with shift kit etc... :)

77charger
12-27-2002, 04:16 PM
Watch out with the edelbrock combos.I have read on many truck forums that people are not getting nearly the power as claimed by edelbrock with the performer packages.I had the rpm package on a small block chevy i built 10 years ago and was bummed out about the power no where near as claimed.

Jrocket
12-27-2002, 04:44 PM
First off you need to find out what efi system you have.Most likely you have the speed density system.I dont think they put the mass air systems in them until 95 and up years.
If you do have the speed density one you might as well keep your money in your pocket.Adding heads and cams wont help at all.The ecu is programmed to only run at certain parrameters.Basically it cant be changed.You can change it over to a mass air unit for about 300 to 1500 bucks.If you have the mass air unit then you can do almost what ever you want to. :)

DAVE94LIGHTNING
12-27-2002, 06:03 PM
Guys: I have a 1994 f150 lightning with the 5.8 liter 351W. There are a ton of things you can do to make these motors more powerful.
Basic upgrades which work with either mass air or speed density computers.
1. Underdrive pulleys (March®)
2. Headers (Bassani®) Ceramic/stainless coated.
3. X pipe with or without cats (Bassani®)
4. Bump the timing to 14-16* and run premium gas.
5. 180* thermostat.
6. Electric fans.(flexalite® 210 )
7. Swap the upper/lower intake for a Ford GT 40
upper/lower combo.
8. Port/ extrude hone lower intake.
9. Crane 1.72 roller rockers.
Now if you are speed density, you can buy an EEC tuner® and run a big cam and nice AFR 185 heads on that motor. If you are mass air you can run the big cam and heads anyway. Get a fuel psi regulator and some bigger injectors and you are ready to make some serious HP.
Vortech®, Powerdyne® and kenne bell® all make direct bolt on blowers for that motor. For towing I would go with the Kenne bell, for all out HP I would go with the vortech, for ease of installation I would choose the Powerdyne.
My combo is the 351 with a 65mm throttle body, gt40 upper, ported gt 40 lower, ported AFR 185 heads, Probe forged pistons, stock rods and crank, probe main girdle, crane 1.72 roller rockers, roller cam and lifters, 19lb injectors stock fuel system with aeromotive regulator, pulleys, bassani exhaust and it is all tuned via the EEC tuner. It has a "big shot" nitrous kit on it that should put it in the 11 sec range at the track..not bad for a daily driven street truck huh?
Good luck:)