PDA

View Full Version : Air Bags?

Akamatsu
08-22-2003, 09:47 AM
Looking for input/advice for a '00 Yukon XL 4x4. when my boat is hooked and truck is loaded down with river stuff, my truck squats real bad in the back. I would like to even it out under a load like this.
Anyone put airbags on a 4WD Yukon XL/Suburban? Any suggestions on makers/brands? I have done a couple searches, but when I start searching for "Air Bags", I get alot of hits on the other Air Bags(Front/Side Impact).
Does the Auto-Ride feature of these trucks have the ability to correct in this situation? If it does, does anyone know if it is available after-market?
Thanks for any and all replies.
Akamatsu

y2kboti
08-22-2003, 10:09 AM
Is it a 1500(rear coil springs) or a 2500(rear leaf springs)? I assume you have Auto Ride since you mentioned it, while I don’t have any experience with Auto Ride I am familiar with it. I highly doubt the Auto Ride has the ability to level a load like an aftermarket bag kit can. Check out Air Lift Company (http://www.airliftcompany.com/), they make kits for almost every vehicle out there. Adding a bag kit will help two fold. One, it will level off the load and two, by doing so it will give you better control of the load. Hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know.

Akamatsu
08-22-2003, 12:03 PM
It is a 1/2 ton, but no, I do not have the AutoRide. I was told the Autoride may have some leveling ability and I was looking for confirmation/denial of this information. As well as aftermarket availability.
I was looking at the airlift company link you added. It seems like the Air Lift 1000 Rear kit, part #60769, would fit my truck. Anyone used this company? The kit alone is around $100, seems pretty cheap.
They also have an auto levelling pump for $350 or a single guage Pump System for $175, Is it worth the extra money for these, or is it a waste of money and I should just use a compressor to fill them when I tow?

Party Cat
08-22-2003, 12:30 PM
FWIW....I recently put a set of bags on our 97 4x4 1/2 ton Suburban with the AirLift Pump from Summit Racing...It's not Auto adjusting, but it sure did help the handeling problems I had before.....

y2kboti
08-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Auto Ride does help level the load but like I said I highly doubt it has the capability that an aftermarket system can offer you.
The Air Lift 1000 Rear kit is pretty reasonable at only $100. The way that kit works is you place the bags inside of the rear coil spring, by inflating or deflating the bags work with the coil springs to level out the load.
Now there are two ways to inflate/deflate the bags. The first is simple, you run the airlines to the rear bumper and install a simple valve stem. The downfall to doing it that was is the bags are not adjustable on the go, you’d have to stop at a gas station or use a compressor at the house if you have one. The second option is to purchase the bag kit and a compressor kit. While the compressor adds $$$ it’s the better way to go IMO. The compressor kit comes with an in-cab guage, you run the airlines from the bags to the compressor so you can inflate/deflate the bags while on the road.

Mandelon
08-22-2003, 01:47 PM
I have them on my pickup for when I carry heavy loads or my overcab camper. They work great. I did not get the built in compressor since I use it only about 10 times a year. The lift that heavy camper up easily. I just pump them up on my compressor. I think even a bicycle pump would work. They do not hold much air.

Akamatsu
08-23-2003, 12:07 AM
Did a search for the Airlift 1000 at summit. If the part# is correct, then they are only $65. I can also get a single guage compressor kit for $105. Seems like a good way to go all the way around. Thanks for all the info. wink
Akamatsu