PDA

View Full Version : Truck Camper Hitch setup?

fire on the water
09-04-2003, 03:16 PM
I've got a 10' Overhead camper (ass hangs off the bed of the truck)and need to get it setup to pull the boat? I've been researching it for awhile and most setups look like flemsy at best. What I was thinking was a Class 5 w/a 2' extension bar. Truck is a '94 2500 SRW 4x4 Ram V10 w/air bags, Any suggestions? Anyone ever tow like this?

Akamatsu
09-04-2003, 04:53 PM
You pretty much nailed what you should look into. A friend had a Class V hitch with a 3 1/2' extension and it pulled a 21 foot jet no problems. That was with a 12+' camper. Then upgraded to a Lance 10'5 camper and had the extension cut to about 20 inches by the same place that installed it in the first place. You should have no problems using that combination. That was what the Lance dealer was recommending as well.
I was originally opting for some trick double or triple receiver extension system, but found the single extension to be more than adequate with the class V hitch. BTW, make sure your extension is solid steel and not just square tubing.
Good luck.
Akamatsu

fire on the water
09-04-2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks, just making sure it was a safe deal!!

Mandelon
09-07-2003, 06:51 PM
Someone on here had one for sale. Was it Magic Mountain Dan or Mountain Dew Drops????
I had one welded up for me as an extension. I had some side arms made to bolt to the extension and the hitch brackets under the truck.
Cost like 100 bucks.
Do you airbags on the truck?

fire on the water
09-08-2003, 07:05 AM
Mandelon, I do have air bags on the truck. I think they are firestones or something like that, early model air bags '94?. Did you have a Class 5 reciever?

Liquid Life
09-15-2003, 08:06 PM
fire on the water - I just had a custom hitch extension made for my 10.5' camper. I had it done by Lewis Hitches just off Arizona Ave. Price was very good compared to what Cliffs Welding on Main St wanted. I had the extension supported with two bars off to the side of the reciever for added stability.

DansBlown73Nordic
09-20-2003, 03:11 AM
I have used a extension with my truck campers for 10 years. I just used a 2x2 piece of tubing.The tubing is stronger then a solid piece. I have pulled a 5000 pound boat with my set-up with no problems. I also made up a cord to extend the trailer light plug.