PDA

View Full Version : Help me, 6.0 versus 7.3

clownpuncher
05-29-2003, 03:11 PM
Looking to trade in my F250 which has a 7.3. Any comments good or bad about either the 6.0 or 7.3?
And none of that "trade your Ford for a Chevy" or "what's the matter? Can't afford a Chevy?"
You guys kill me. Thanks in advance.

CA Stu
05-29-2003, 04:51 PM
clownpuncher:
Looking to trade in my F250 which has a 7.3. Any comments good or bad about either the 6.0 or 7.3?
And none of that "trade your Ford for a Chevy" or "what's the matter? Can't afford a Chevy?"
You guys kill me. Thanks in advance. Go diesel.
CA Stu <-- happy Dodge 2500 Cummins owner

STV_Keith
05-29-2003, 05:22 PM
CA Stu:
Go diesel.
CA Stu <-- happy Dodge 2500 Cummins owner Hahaha Stu...the 7.3 is [sorta] a diesel. :)

CA Stu
05-29-2003, 06:27 PM
What a 'tard I am! :confused:
Go 7.3 then.
All this liter crap makes my head hurt anyway. Why can't it be a 360? Why is it a 5.9? 5.0? 302?
CA Stu <-- I wuz jest tryin to help :rolleyes:

riverbound
05-29-2003, 06:28 PM
We currently have a 99 f-350 w/ 7.3 and were looking at the new 6.0 we noticed the 6.0 was a lot faster not as much lag and was not as noisy as our 7.3. but I do have a friend in service and have had some family members that have had many friends with the new turbos going out. we decided to wait until next year and let ford work all the bugs out before we go with the new one

NashvilleBound
05-29-2003, 06:31 PM
Its my understanding from an insider at Ford that the 6.0 is the temporary PowerStroke. They will be bringing back the 7.3 PowerStroke new and improved in the next year or so...probably the 'so' part.

Jrocket
05-29-2003, 06:50 PM
7.3 and chip it. :D

SoCalOffshore
05-29-2003, 08:27 PM
If you could only get the Ford with the Duramax, your question would be answered.

clownpuncher
05-29-2003, 09:45 PM
Thanks fellas. I think I'm leaning towards the 7.3 I too have heard of some problems with the 6.0 and will probably wait a few years and let the Ford boys figure it out. Thanks for the input, and thanks to the Chevy boys for goin easy on me. :D
[ May 29, 2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: clownpuncher ]

clownpuncher
05-29-2003, 09:46 PM
SoCalOffshore:
If you could only get the Ford with the Duramax, your question would be answered. Funny SoCal :p

PowellRunner
05-30-2003, 09:54 AM
Whoa!! be very careful if you plan on buying a 6.0 powerstroke!! We have a Excursion that has been in the dealership 6 times for problems!!
Let me give you some history....the motor is awesome....the problem is with the computer communicating with the motor (suposedly the problem is fixed on trucks leaving the factory now) we have had ours in to be "re-flashed" or to have the new program loaded into the computer...so far on this 6th visit it seems to be doing ok.
Problems include... Dead pedal..not fun when pulling into traffic
no turbo boost...you have to pull over and turn off, then re-start.
fuel injuctors...pump fuel int the crank case, injuctors are warrantied 2 at a time...thats 4 visits to get em all replaced
Bell housing oil leak... lots of oil on your driveway
we have not had the injector or bell housing leak..knock on wood! Go to www.myfordtruck.com (http://www.myfordtruck.com) and read thru the forum posts under diesel motors.. I tell you,do some homework before taking the plung!! I cancelled my order for an F-250 because of the knightmare we are having with the Excursion.
I would buy a Cummins or Duramax and give Ford a year or so to figgure out the problems....I love the 6.0 in the Excurswon...WHEN it's working

clownpuncher
05-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Thanks Powelrunner. I did decide to go with the 7.3 I've heard too many horror stories about the 6. I'll check out the link anyhow. Have fun on Powell, I'm jealous

Jrocket
05-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Heres a link for you to try..... Powerstrokes (http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/)

clownpuncher
05-30-2003, 02:34 PM
Jrocket:
Heres a link for you to try..... Powerstrokes (http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/) Thanks J. Looked at the link, very helpful.
7.3 it is

Ziggy
05-30-2003, 04:07 PM
I've got the 7.3 powerstroker....2000 model F350 Crew....not a lick of trouble with it, no leaks, hiccups, loss of power, nuttin. Unbeatable towing, good mileage, its all been good for me. Best truck I've owned, blows away my previous F250 w/460 gas hog in every aspect.
One of my technicians just bought the 6.0...brand new so no info on it yet. Biggest benefit of the 6.0 is its quieter and a little more efficient on fuel.
Good luck with the new choice, I think the 7.3 is the way to go from the tidbits I've heard in the crazy car world I deal with every day.

little rowe boat
05-30-2003, 06:26 PM
Just be glad that you have a choice.Just think those chevy owners have to settle for the dura-crap.

Trailer Park Casanova
05-31-2003, 09:14 AM
I got two of the early 6.0's for work and they had some computer problems, but Ford quickly straightened that out.
I read a thread on another site about some serious problems with the heads/valves/FI but have not experienced any of it yet.
Sorry don't remember the site, but it had a link to a Ford Maint webpage explaining the problems. If I find it I'll post it here. It scared me so I chose to forget it.
Have had none with ours since the computer problems.
Get the HD tranny if available yet, the lesser trans is junk.
I have the GMC with the Allison for the family and like both the Ford and GM equally. Both have great A/C, run cool towing in hot conditions, plenty of power.
Can't say that about our Dodges.
[ May 31, 2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

Jordy
05-31-2003, 11:24 AM
little rowe boat:
Just be glad that you have a choice.Just think those chevy owners have to settle for the dura-crap. Yeah, it breaks my heart everytime I go flying by a Powerstroke or a Come-apart... Settle. That's funny.
As far as the 6.0 litre, I haven't really heard anything good about them yet. I saw on a thread, I belive it was at pickuptrucks.com or something like that, where a Ford tech was advising people against getting them. Too many bugs right now and nobody really knows how to work on them yet. I have friends with one and out of the three months they've had it, more than half that time it was in the shop. Can't keep injectors in it. I also saw somewhere that some of them have a nasty habit of pumping fuel into the crankcase around 10,000 miles. I'd stick with the tried and true (close to 15 years) 7.3. :D

mbrown2
05-31-2003, 01:09 PM
Buddy of ours has the new 6.0...first trip towing was Memorial...coming back through Needles it went into limp mode..could no longer tow his Wakeboard boat...Had to disconnect the battery to try and reset the computer...It started running ok, but a buddy had to tow the boat home behind a CHEVY... :confused:
And I am a Ford owner... :rolleyes:

clownpuncher
05-31-2003, 07:27 PM
Thanks for all the input. I'm getting a 7.3 but unfortunatly not from the place that gave me a great deal. Had the deal all done and was ready to pick the truck up. 2003 F350 4x4, lifted, DVD yada yada yada. Bad news today on my way to get the truck, I just found out that the GM of the dealership was doin my buddies woman behind his back. A$$hole. It's gonna be a pleasure to tell the salesman that he lost out on a $50,000 sale because his boss cheated on his woman with my buddies girl. Time to deal with another dealer and hopefully he won't be doing any of my other friends women. Gotta stick up for my boys.
[ May 31, 2003, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: clownpuncher ]

STV_Keith
05-31-2003, 08:16 PM
jordanpaulk:
little rowe boat:
Just be glad that you have a choice.Just think those chevy owners have to settle for the dura-crap. Yeah, it breaks my heart everytime I go flying by a Powerstroke or a Come-apart... Settle. That's funny.Jordy, I think all of these trucks in stock form run good. Come-apart huh? I think we can all agree that the Cummins has the best longevity record and certainly is the most BOMB-able (Better Off Modified Baby).
Highest HP Duramax I have seen or heard about on a dyno is 540 with twin turbos and nitrous.
Higest HP Powerstroke was 602hp with twins, nitrous and propane.
Highest HP Cummins - 790hp with a single turbo and nitrous. We have a local guy we work with currently at 786 rear wheel horsepower on DIESEL ONLY, with a single turbo. With twins, this truck would make close to 900RWHP as is, and it's a daily driver. Add some N2O to that and it would easily be over 1000hp.

buck183
06-02-2003, 07:28 PM
[ Come-apart huh? I think we can all agree that the Cummins has the best longevity record and certainly is the most BOMB-able (Better Off Modified Baby).
Too bad they can't put a Tranny behind it that would make it worth buying.
Let's face it, they all have their pros and cons.
Buck

Trailer Park Casanova
06-02-2003, 07:44 PM
My next door neighbor owns Valley Park Ford in Chatsworth and says all the time if it weren't for the F series trucks,, he'd be bankrupt.
He also mentioned he'd give you a good deal if your deal falls apart.
Ask for Stan the owner or his brother Greg.
Very good people, I've known them for a dogs age and never had complaints from people I've sent to them.
[ June 02, 2003, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

big Doug
06-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Just saw this, I also own a 6.0 excrusion. Have had little problems, but it pulls great. Had a GMC before, 9 mpg towing vs. 6.0 14 mpg towing. Here is a great site that the ford sevice guys use. http://flatratetech.com/6literpowerstroke/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=1

STV_Keith
06-09-2003, 01:53 PM
buck183:
Too bad they can't put a Tranny behind it that would make it worth buying.
Let's face it, they all have their pros and cons.
Buck You hit the nail on the head with that one Buck. BUT, the Dodge trans can be fixed and fixed right.

oldphart
06-09-2003, 04:33 PM
know that Ford plays games with the CPU on the new 7.3's. I have a fleet of Ford Pu's both 7.3 and Triton v-8's. My personal company truck is a 2001 F350 crew cab dooley with Powerstroke. Frankly its a turd.My F250's will kick its ass. therefore I did what any redblooded American would do, I chipped it. 3 transmissions later Ford made me remove the chip and enameled the box. I went to the wrecking yard and got an F250 CPU and it runs much better but here are the facts. Powerstroke,$3500.00 extra, 13 MPG, and anytime the check engine light comes on its $1,000.00. Triton, 17 MPG and NO drivetrain related problems on 7 trucks. a little less umph than the F250's but more than the dooley. No more rattling smoking money pits for me. We used to get 150,000 miles on our 460"s without problems

little rowe boat
06-10-2003, 04:48 PM
My brother in-law has a landscapping company and all of his trucks are f-series trucks.His personal truck he drives everyday is a chevy.I asked him why he drives a chevy everyday and all of his work trucks are fords. He stated that he can get on the average 3 years more out of ford trucks than any other truck.He also said he drives a chevy because the ride is better.

Sand Dawg
06-11-2003, 03:59 AM
7.3, chip and pipe and a lift kit with some BFG mudders. Works great on and off the road.