PDA

View Full Version : Paging: STV_Keith

Outnumbered
07-16-2003, 10:13 AM
Hey Keith,
A few questions on your 2003 5.9SO Cummins module that we talked about on the other thread. I was surfing the web and checking out all of these modules and exhausts and stuff and noticed that Banks is big on free flowing exhaust before adding more fuel. They say the stock exhaust gets overheated. Am I going to run into any problems like this with a Cali truck by adding your module? I guess the big thing is the cat and muffler. Banks wants $800+ for the 4" monster exhaust w/o a cat. Can't I just have a muffler shop eliminate the cat and replace the stock muffler with a free-flow muffler for a lot cheaper since I am only looking at minor power mods? The stock exhaust is huge! Seems like it should flow fine for what I am doing. Do you guys have any recommendations?
Thanks,
OL

STV_Keith
07-18-2003, 08:40 AM
Well, the limit we like to use is 1250*F continuous as measured before the turbo. The 03 HO will make around 1400*F stock pulling a load. It can take these hotter temps in part because of the oil jets under the pistons keeping the piston cool.
Now, we still don't advocate these temps, but if they will get there stock and live, they have to be ok getting there with mods too.
We have found that with our TTPM box, the 65hp gain does make EGT quicker, but the peak EGT's stay roughly the same.
Certainly exhaust and airbox mods can help with EGT. Our 4" and 5" exhaust systems will reduce EGT's by about 150*F. The diameter of the pipe is the real help for EGT. Just removing the particulate trap and muffler don't do it. The stock exhaust on that truck is 3.5" to the muffler, and 4" behind the muffler.

Outnumbered
07-20-2003, 01:13 PM
Thanks Keith. Remember I am in California and bought an SO truck. How are the stock temps and exhaust on these? If I use your TTPM module, should I do the exhaust and remove the "cat" also just to be safe? How hard is it to hook up a pyrometer to these trucks? Is there a stock sending unit for an idiot light or something?
We should be out that way soon. I will try to stop in your shop next time we are out in Vegas so we can talk in person. We are checking out houses in Henderson right now. We may be moving out that way in about a year, but not sure.
Thanks,
OL

STV_Keith
07-21-2003, 07:53 AM
The SO trucks do run cooler, but not by too much. The exhaust can only help you. Removing the particulate trap will help too.
Hooking up the pyrometer comes down to drilling the exhaust manifold and tapping it. Thread in the probe, run the wire, hook the power under the dash to the gauge and you're done.