PDA

View Full Version : Ford F150 SuperCrew

roln 20s
05-14-2003, 09:56 AM
Alright, first off, I am considering buying a new truck soon, as mine has 140K miles and I don't want to dump another dollar in it. But I have always considered myself a "Chevy Only" person, but I feel this Ford is better than a comparable Chevy on the market. It kinda hurts me to say that, but oh well.
Second, I am considering the Ford F150 SuperCrew (would love the Harley edition- but to much $$).
Any experiences? If and when I purchase my own boat within the next two years- the max it would be is a single engine 28 V or a 26-28 Cat? Will the 5.4L be enough to get me around in comfort and worry free.
Also, anyone who has seen my truck will realize that I can't keep anything stock. I would like to run 22's on it for a while, and maybe lift is later on. My truck is lowered with full airbag suspension, and as much as I love it, I don't have any plans of doing that again.
Thanks for any information.
Roln 20s
PS- Anyone work at a Ford dealership?

hboldno7
05-14-2003, 10:14 AM
Is your truck for sale? I think I remember seeing in a thread somewhere on the boards, If so post some details and pics

roln 20s
05-14-2003, 10:34 AM
Anything is for sale for the right price. Since I just bought a house, I would like to go a little while without a truck payment, but who knows.
Here's a pic of my truck- feel free to advertise, and of course, any Sale will earn you a little $$.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/1therig2-med.JPG
If you or anyone needs some details let me know. The trucks runs great and everything is top notch--I'm just trying to think ahead and possibly upgrade. And yes, it has a hidden hitch and I have towed a friends 29 Magic to the lake before, and it looked bad ass together.
Roln 20s

bigq
05-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Just bought a 4X4 SC about a month ago. I found it used 2002 with only 7800 miles on it.Picked it up for 25k fully loaded XLT. It has the 5.4 with 3.55. You need to drive one. The 5.4 is very smooth compared with the pushrod motors. I think the towing is rated at 7800LBS. Don't know if you want the 4X4, but you can lower the 4X4 also instead of raising it. I think BelTech makes a kit for it.

roln 20s
05-14-2003, 11:22 AM
bigq-
I think I will also, when the time is perfect, look for one that is a year or 2 old. They seem like much better buys.
I'm not sure if I want a 4*4 or 4*2, probably just depends on what is available and the best price. I do not want to lower it, but maybe raise it down the road if I get a 4*4. I just want to get some big wheels (22 or 23's) for the time being.
You happy with yours?
Roln 20s

SUPERCREWJOHN
05-14-2003, 12:01 PM
Roln 20. You shouldnt have any problems towing with the 5.4. I have a 2001 F-150 Supercrew Lariat ( Black) with 17 x 70 x 265 with a 3.73 rear that I special ordered as well as the transmission cooler & HD Radidator, I have pulled Bobcat's and some 27' 7000lb boats with very little difficulty. My truck does ride excellent.. If a F-250 with a V10 is available I would probably go with that if your looking for a bit more towing power if you have to do some long hills. The deisel is ideal, but I also know that you're price sensitive. The thing I like about the 250's & 350 is the rear stabalizer and a heavier duty transmission and more gear ratio options all the way up to a 4.30

TOBTEK
05-14-2003, 12:33 PM
ROLON....I just took a deposit last night on my 2001 4x4 sc. With the 5.4 motor it pulls the OK....amd I mean just OK! Ford(IMO) has a much nicer interor bad GM has better drivetrain....Think im getting a GMC 2500 xtracab diesel this time, should have enough motor to pull ANYTHING I will ever own......Dont for get the supercrew's truck bed sucks if you ever have to put ANYTHING of any size in it. 1 dirtbike and gear your maxed. They are a nice ride/ light duty truck and will pull a boat OK.....make sure your making the right purchase. I personaly wont get another one.

roln 20s
05-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys.
Tobtek-like I said, I have always been a Chevy guy. What do you think of the quad-cab shortbed 1500HD? Is it too underpowered with the 6000 Vortec?
Just another truck that I really like.
Roln 20s

bigq
05-14-2003, 01:00 PM
TOBTEK:
ROLON....I just took a deposit last night on my 2001 4x4 sc. With the 5.4 motor it pulls the OK....amd I mean just OK! Ford(IMO) has a much nicer interor bad GM has better drivetrain....Think im getting a GMC 2500 xtracab diesel this time, should have enough motor to pull ANYTHING I will ever own......Dont for get the supercrew's truck bed sucks if you ever have to put ANYTHING of any size in it. 1 dirtbike and gear your maxed. They are a nice ride/ light duty truck and will pull a boat OK.....make sure your making the right purchase. I personaly wont get another one. Tobtek, did you gear that thing when you put on the 35" tires?

bigq
05-14-2003, 01:04 PM
roln: you could also wait for the 2004 F150 coming soon. The motor is going to be sweet and the frame and R&P Steering should be nice. I am sure it will be pricy though.

TOBTEK
05-14-2003, 05:38 PM
roln 20s:
Thanks guys.
Tobtek-like I said, I have always been a Chevy guy. What do you think of the quad-cab shortbed 1500HD? Is it too underpowered with the 6000 Vortec?
Just another truck that I really like.
Roln 20s the Vortec's are awesome motors...you cant go wrong with one. Are you thinking about a crewcab or a extended cab...both have 4doors....oh wait, you did say HD, so crew cab it is. Id be ALL over a 1500 HD crewcab diesel IF they would make one. I drove 2500 extended and crewcabs, gas and diesel GMC's yesterday...and the 2500 is still a way better ride than the 3/4 ton ford.....oh my god they are frickin expensive :rolleyes:

TOBTEK
05-14-2003, 05:40 PM
bigq:
TOBTEK:
ROLON....I just took a deposit last night on my 2001 4x4 sc. With the 5.4 motor it pulls the OK....amd I mean just OK! Ford(IMO) has a much nicer interor bad GM has better drivetrain....Think im getting a GMC 2500 xtracab diesel this time, should have enough motor to pull ANYTHING I will ever own......Dont for get the supercrew's truck bed sucks if you ever have to put ANYTHING of any size in it. 1 dirtbike and gear your maxed. They are a nice ride/ light duty truck and will pull a boat OK.....make sure your making the right purchase. I personaly wont get another one. Tobtek, did you gear that thing when you put on the 35" tires? no I didnt, it really needed to be done though.

Irishluck
05-15-2003, 07:17 AM
You can't go wrong with the Chevy 1500HD. Get the 6.0 Vortech motor and you will be very pleased. My dad has one in his Suburban and tows a 6000 lbs boat with out any problems, so you don't have to worry about it being underpowered. Chevy's are very pricey but the resale value on them is better than any other Manufacturer.

roln 20s
05-15-2003, 09:08 AM
oh my god they are frickin expensive
Thats my beef with GM- high cost, but you get what you pay for. I will probably look for a 1-2 year old, just to save some money. I would love to find a 1500HD crew cab with the 6000 Vortex, low miles and a great buy..I might just have to bite on that. I don't want to drive the new ones..for the reason that I would like to sacrafice and get a used one so that I am closer to buying a DCB or Howard Cat. Priorities :D
I did see the new 2004 F150 preview picks- they look pretty nice too. But I'm guessing the new ones are going to carry a pretty good premium.
Roln 20s

HavasuDreamin'
05-15-2003, 01:45 PM
One thing to consider if the timing works out is wait until they introduce the 2004 model, then check out all the dealers for a 2003 model. They always wheel $$$ and deal $$$ when they are trying to get rid of the previous model year. :cool:
[ May 15, 2003, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

roln 20s
05-15-2003, 02:01 PM
One thing to consider if the timing works out is wait until they introduce the 2004 model, then check out all the dealers for a 2003 model. They always wheel $$$ and deal $$$ when they are trying to get rid of the previous model year.
Thats a great call. I think I may owe you a cold one for that thought.
Roln 20s

NorCal Gameshow
05-17-2003, 07:45 PM
I consider myself a chevy guy too, but the wife bought me a supercrew, (the chevy guys wouldn't deal with her :D ) i love it. i levelled it out and now looking for harley rims and tires. the 5.4 will do the job. get a chip and exhaust and you'll be good to go

SandbarScot
05-20-2003, 07:51 PM
I just traded in my '96 Suburban 4X4 for a Supercrew with 5.4 engine. The 5.7 Vortec was better, faster, better mileage. I lifted the Ford and now only get 12-13 MPG without towing. Love the truck, but not impressed with the engine..did someone say something about different gears? I have the towing package - limited slip differential.

Free Agent
05-20-2003, 08:05 PM
You can't tow anything with the tailgate down.
Ford touts the bed extender that you have to use with the tailgate down.
Take my word for it... ain't no trailer out there that'll clear the tailgate if it's down.
Boat, Utility, Sea Doo, RV, ect ect,,, nothin'.
Go in with your eyes wide open bro'

Kilrtoy
05-25-2003, 03:06 PM
Great truck, but the expedition will tow way better than the 150, chevy will probably also tow better than the 150. I think it is too weak to tow. get the exped.........

bigq
05-25-2003, 10:56 PM
SandbarScot:
I just traded in my '96 Suburban 4X4 for a Supercrew with 5.4 engine. The 5.7 Vortec was better, faster, better mileage. I lifted the Ford and now only get 12-13 MPG without towing. Love the truck, but not impressed with the engine..did someone say something about different gears? I have the towing package - limited slip differential. If you increaed the tire size when you lifted it you need to change the ring and pinion to gat back power and milage.

SandbarScot
06-07-2003, 05:03 PM
bigq, thanks. Will look into it. Whats a good price?

Raskal
06-07-2003, 10:55 PM
me buddie just bought a 2001 sc with 5.4 2wd xlt . 21000 miles he paid $19,500 for it after 2 days of working the sells guy

bigq
06-08-2003, 06:39 AM
SandbarScot:
bigq, thanks. Will look into it. Whats a good price? If it is 4X4 about $1,000.00 at a ford dealer and they warranty it if you buy the ring and pinion there.

little rowe boat
06-16-2003, 05:23 PM
If you can, go with a diesel.They are workhorses. :)

SUPERCREWJOHN
06-17-2003, 05:27 PM
SandbarScot:
I just traded in my '96 Suburban 4X4 for a Supercrew with 5.4 engine. The 5.7 Vortec was better, faster, better mileage. I lifted the Ford and now only get 12-13 MPG without towing. Love the truck, but not impressed with the engine..did someone say something about different gears? I have the towing package - limited slip differential. Yes..the standard gears are a 3.55. If you ordered the SC they can put a 3.73 or 4.3. The 4.3 might be a little low, but my truck with the 3.73 works out pretty well. Of course a diesel would be better, but the ride of the SC is very comfortable..

RacerX
07-16-2003, 01:40 PM
I have a 2001 Supercrew that we have been very happy with overall. However, we tow a 21' wakeboard boat which is maybe 4500 lbs total. My mileage drops to about 8 MPG on the way up to Bartstow. I get about 9-10 in the flats and only about 7 on the long grinder of a hill on I-40 coming back from Laughlin.
On "normal" every day stuuf, it's great and I get about 13 MPG with my hard driving style. I don't haul a$$ or race but I'm always in a hurry...like everybody else in SoCal. eek!

UBFJ #454
07-17-2003, 06:57 AM
We have a 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat with a 5.4 that now has just over 30,000 miles on it. We've towed the "Black Mamba" to races as far back as the Mississippi with the tail gate down and bed extender in place: Bed fully loaded with 55 gal. drum of race fuel, tool boxes, race equip., pop-ups, chairs, etc.. Best mileage fully loaded has been between 12.5 and 16 mpg, depending on topography. Interior is very comfortable during such long trips and I can't say enough positive things about the ABS ... it has saved us from quite a few idiots' driving ... including my own.
Our next tow vehicle will probably be the new F-550 SuperCrew 4x4 ... for the new enclosed race trailer which we will be getting in the next year. We are going to keep the 2001 as it will make a good support truck and is a great farm truck, plus once I buy a vehicle I typically drive it until its DONE.

ssmike
07-21-2003, 12:43 AM
Free Agent:
You can't tow anything with the tailgate down.
Ford touts the bed extender that you have to use with the tailgate down.
Take my word for it... ain't no trailer out there that'll clear the tailgate if it's down.
Boat, Utility, Sea Doo, RV, ect ect,,, nothin'.
Go in with your eyes wide open bro' I tow my boat all the time with the tailgate down on my S/C :confused: :confused:
[ July 21, 2003, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: ssmike ]

Outnumbered
07-21-2003, 01:06 AM
Hey Roln how you been,
Personally I would not pull a boat bigger than a 25' with a small block anything. It will do it fine on the flats but when you load them up and start pulling grades in 115 degree weather you want the torque and durability of a 3/4 ton with a BB.
JMO,
OL