PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Dodge Ram

Froggystyle
02-15-2003, 09:39 PM
I am strongly considering purchasing a new Dodge LWB Crew Cab diesel. 3/4 ton 2wd. I have had to wait so long because the automatic only just now became available with this package.
Does anyone have any really good reasons why I should choose something else?
No offense intended here, but here are the reasons why I am going big Dodge.
Chevy's are nice, with nice seats but look clunky to me. I don't like the new grille, but do love the Alison tranny. The tranny alone is a good enough reason to go with it, but I don't like the way it looks.
Fords... sorry guys. I don't think I will ever own another. I have never had a vehicle fall apart as fast or as violently as my last Ford. (1991 Saleenish mustang, 1990 Cougar) and as a SEAL, we had a lot of Ford trucks that just always broke and showed wear quickly. I know that the trucks are probably a little different, but I have a tough time believing it.
But, convince me. More specifically, if any of you have a new Dodge, I would love to hear your impressions of it.
Thanks

CA Stu
02-15-2003, 11:25 PM
Froggystyle:
I am strongly considering purchasing a new Dodge LWB Crew Cab diesel. 3/4 ton 2wd. I have had to wait so long because the automatic only just now became available with this package.
Does anyone have any really good reasons why I should choose something else?
No offense intended here, but here are the reasons why I am going big Dodge.
Chevy's are nice, with nice seats but look clunky to me. I don't like the new grille, but do love the Alison tranny. The tranny alone is a good enough reason to go with it, but I don't like the way it looks.
Fords... sorry guys. I don't think I will ever own another. I have never had a vehicle fall apart as fast or as violently as my last Ford. (1991 Saleenish mustang, 1990 Cougar) and as a SEAL, we had a lot of Ford trucks that just always broke and showed wear quickly. I know that the trucks are probably a little different, but I have a tough time believing it.
But, convince me. More specifically, if any of you have a new Dodge, I would love to hear your impressions of it.
Thanks Hey man, like yourself, multiple Ford vehicle owner, switched to Dodge Ram 1500 in 1996, (purely for resale value, at that time they were holding their value way better than any other truck), traded in my 1500 on a 2500 SLT Camper Special in 2001 (3/4 ton Quad cab longbed 2wd auto with the Cummins).
The total package, to be sure. If you read the list of options it sounds like a Caddy rather than a truck; 4 wheel disc, locking rear diff, ABS, leather, sway bars, power adjustable heated seats, auto dimming mirror, cruise, stereo contrls on the steering wheel, etc.
Power to tow anything (I have a Chaparral 235 SSi), been real solid for me so far. I did go with the Banks Stinger, but if I was worried about sound level, I'd skip that. The stock exhaust is a lot quieter than the 4" Banks setup.
One other thing I installed myself which I like is a Turbo Timer. A place called Geno's garage sells them, you install it in the steering column, and it allows you to park and lock the truck, leaving the engine running for up to 5 minutes (keys out of the ignition). That way at the top of a steep grade, you can park and leave the truck and let the turbo cool off before shutting off the engine. I reckon I'll add some years to my turbo that way.
I really like the 03, especially the 4 full sized door setup. Also, seems to me a good percentage of the real heavy crap being towed down the highway is being pulled by a Dodge.
I have no reasons why you should buy anything else, I think you will be very happy with your new truck.
Cheers
CA Stu
PS I did race a friend of mine is his F250 4X4 Powerstroke... walked away from him.
6 > 8 in this case :D
PPS 600 miles on one tank of fuel ain't bad either.

TX flat
02-16-2003, 01:33 AM
I just bought a 2003 dodge 3/4 crew cab 4x4 with the new Hemi coupled with the new 5 speed auto. Its geared 3.73. I pull a 800olb 31 ft offshore boat and i love it. I have had fords and Had a chevy 4x4 diesel surburban, sold the burb and bought a 2000 dodge with the cummings and it was kick butt. Had to go to a 4x4 since buying the new big boat is way i got rid of the cummings. couldnt afford the new cumming 4x4 lol, the hemi has all the power i ne3ed but dont get the mileage i did with the diesel. I get around 3mpg less pulling.

STV_Keith
02-16-2003, 09:26 AM
Wes, just be aware that the auto trannies are the weak link in the Dodge. If you want a 100% bulletproof truck, get the 6-speed. Dodge has a 41% failure rate with the 47RE in stock form. We'll have to wait and see if the 48RE (in the '03 HO truck) will be any better. There are a few improvements over the 47RE, but not many. The 47RE (and 48RE) are upgradeable to take whatever you want to throw at them, but it's not cheap.
The trucks are awesome. We have one as a test mule at work. They can make some wicked power (our truck has been 563hp/1062tq to the wheels so far) but that trans will be the weak link. The new 11.5" AA rear will be even better than the Dana70 in the older trucks and the rest of the driveline is basically bulletproof. We've even put the older 241HD transfer case through a 11.96 pass at the drag strip leaving in 4HI on a 1.83 60'. They were rated for 5555ft-lbs where the new TC's are up about 1000ft-lbs.
Brakes are the best on the market for this size truck, the motor is quiet, the interior is nice and the handling is pretty good. It could use a rear sway bar (I can't believe it didn't come with one), but no one is offering one so far.
My suggestion would be to order one WITHOUT the camper package if you don't put a lot of weight in the bed often. Without it, you don't get the extra rear springs and the truck will ride a bit better around town, which is where it will probably spend about 90% of it's life, right?
Good luck, and that's a great truck! When you're ready for some power, look me up. Diesel Dynamics (http://www.dieseldynamics.com)
[ February 16, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: STV_Keith ]

buck183
02-16-2003, 07:33 PM
Two things that have stood out in this thread so far....
A 1994-2001 Dodge truck and the words "resale value" don't go in the same sentence.
ONLY one person touched on the transmission issue with the Dodge. Seems kind of odd with the amount of problems they've had with them. I do realize that this a new tranny, but I would let someone else be a lab rat on this one.
Buck

jm2drvr
02-16-2003, 11:05 PM
my best friend is the truck mechanic at a chevy dealer...he has yet to do any major work on any of the duramax's. The tranny's are bulletproof. The duramax is much more quiet than the dodge if that makes a difference to you. I've heard everyone say that the fuel injection on the chevy's are bad, but my friend has only replaced them on one truck. I've seen a lot of aftermarket grills that look pretty cool for them also...just my .02

SDLifesaver
02-17-2003, 07:00 AM
Froggy, I have a Chevy 2500HD but I was a cheap skate and got the 6.0L instead. If I had to do it over I would go 2500HD GMC with the diesel and Allison and switch the grille. Dodge is nice too, but nothing rides like a Chevy/GMC. Ford Suck and everybody has one. My .02

disco_charger
02-17-2003, 07:23 AM
I hate the new Chevy grill also. Friend of mine just bought a Dodge, and it's just ok. The thing kind of feels cheap. My solution to the crappy grill on the Chevy is going to be to buy a GMC...

STV_Keith
02-17-2003, 08:26 AM
jm2drvr, just a note about the '03 ISBe Dodge...it's quieter than a Dmax. Also, while the Dodge trans is weak, it can be built to take just about anything (the best we've managed so far is 790hp/1600ft-lbs to the wheels through a modified 47RE).
The Allison currently has no mods available and the "smart" electronics on it will kick it into neutral at around the 425-440hp level. Stock for stock it's better, but it has it's limitations as well. We won't even get into how much more power a Cummins can make than the Dmax. :)

Froggystyle
02-17-2003, 08:33 AM
Do you think that buying a bombproof extended warranty with the vehicle would be protection enough against any tranny issues?
I really want to get the HO automatic. Cali doesn't offer them, so I will be buying in Nevada or AZ it looks like. It has a ton more power stock.
I will check out the GMC.
Any other problems with the Dodge?
BTW regarding resale... when I bought my Durango in 2001, I sold my 1997 Dodge 4x4 1500 with no lift, nice rims, decent stereo, a little body damage and 98K on the counter for $20,000. New price, four years earlier was $29,000. I would call that serious resale value. I have been offered $28K for my Durango R/T with a little drop and 20" rims and not taken it this month (We decided to keep it) and paid only $32K for it plus rims. Durango has 45K miles on it. So far, resale is better than any other vehicle I have ever owned.

Froggystyle
02-17-2003, 08:37 AM
STV_Keith:
jm2drvr, just a note about the '03 ISBe Dodge...it's quieter than a Dmax. Also, while the Dodge trans is weak, it can be built to take just about anything (the best we've managed so far is 790hp/1600ft-lbs to the wheels through a modified 47RE).
The Allison currently has no mods available and the "smart" electronics on it will kick it into neutral at around the 425-440hp level. Stock for stock it's better, but it has it's limitations as well. We won't even get into how much more power a Cummins can make than the Dmax. :) Keep talking Keith... I'm listening!
What do you do to the tranny to ensure lifespan, considering I am looking to do the intake, chip, exhaust etc... full bore. I will be dropping it down a little on bags and 24" rims for shows. Normal rims will likely be 22" or 20" for daily use.
After checking out your site, it appears that I could run right around 450 hp for another $1500, right? What do the torque figures do with those two mods? (injectors and fuel mapping..)
[ February 17, 2003, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Froggystyle ]

hot_diggity_dog
02-17-2003, 09:10 AM
Froggy,
Check out the Diesel links on the Diesel truck thread. :D The Turbo Diesel Register will give you all of the information you are looking for on the Dodge. :rolleyes: See DTT for the transmission. wink
HDD
:cool:

hot_diggity_dog
02-17-2003, 09:22 AM
Also, while the Dodge trans is weak, it can be built to take just about anything (the best we've managed so far is 790hp/1600ft-lbs to the wheels through a modified 47RE). Keith,
What transmission are you running in the blue truck? :confused: I went with a DTT Performance transmission. :D :D
With all of my upgrades I'm around 375HP 750ftlbs. eek! Got to love them Diesels!!! :D
HDD :cool:

STV_Keith
02-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Froggystyle:
Do you think that buying a bombproof extended warranty with the vehicle would be protection enough against any tranny issues?
BTW regarding resale...Well, a good warranty will help, but only if you plan to keep the truck stock or very close to it. The Dodge dealers have a good eye these days at looking for upgrades, which keeps us trying to make them harder to find. However, some stuff - like injectors - are something you don't want to have to remove. So, even if they can't tell they are modified, the truck will have so much more power that it's a tip off.
Resale is very good on the diesels since people know they will go the distance. Much better than the gassers.
Our HO 6-speed made 285hp at the wheels, up 65hp over our 2001 model. I have not personally dynoed an auto yet, but I have been told by one of our dealers that a '03 auto standard output (250hp) made 180-something to the wheels, way below the HO. There are only a few HO/48RE's out there now, and I haven't seen one yet.
Froggystyle:
What do you do to the tranny to ensure lifespan?Again, it's not cheap, but when we do one, we do it all the way. New high-efficiency torque converter (91% efficient compared to the stock one at around 68-70%), valve body, billet 2nd gear apply servo, 4.4:1 ratio 2nd gear apply rock instead of 3.6:1 stock, heavy duty band strut, billet direct clutch apply piston, billet bearing carrier, extra springs on the direct clutch apply, shim endfloat properly (stock we've seen .025" - .180" of endfloat! ), all new clutches and bands, 5 disks in the direct clutch pack instead of 4, DTT smart controller to control lockup and 3-4 shift (up and down), etc.
It's a helluva job, and runs around $5k, but you can't beat it when it's done. If you ever get to Vegas, stop by the shop and we can give you a ride in a properly powered and upgraded trans truck. :)
Froggystyle:
After checking out your site, it appears that I could run right around 450 hp for another $1500, right? What do the torque figures do with those two mods? (injectors and fuel mapping..)Well, our stock HO made 285hp. We can do Stage 1 injectors (50hp) or our TTPM box (65hp) but that's it with the stock clutch, airbox and turbo. Any more power than that, you'll be into those things, which does add up as well. While the trucks make more and more power stock, they get closer and closer to the EGT limit, meaning it will take more mods to keep the EGT's safe and continue the upgrade trail. While the box is $550, by the time you add in gauges ($330-$385 - 2 or 3 gauges), and an exhaust ($550-4", $650-5") it starts to add up somewhat. It's not how much can you get, it's how much do you want to spend - like everything huh? :)
hot_diggity_dog:
What transmission are you running in the blue truck? I went with a DTT Performance transmission.DTT - the only way to go. We are an authorized installation center for their stuff. It is the only way to fly when the power goes up. :D

jm2drvr
02-17-2003, 06:11 PM
buying a dodge and then turning around and spending another 5k for a piece of mind in tranny upgrades........kinda makes me think...WTF?

CA Stu
02-17-2003, 06:43 PM
I gotta chime back in here, my truck hunts between first and second gear sometimes. If I'm applying light throttle, it seems to not shift as positively as I'd like. Never had the problem towing or on the gas, but nevertheless. Something to consider.
My neighbor did a homegrown trans upgrade, valve body, lockup converter, etc. for a lot less than $5k.
Also, as far as spending money on a new vehicle to trick it out, you're joking, right? How many people strap a blower on their new Vette? Lift kits and 35's on their new F150? 20 inch rims on their new Escalade? ;-)
CA Stu <-- Mr 100 posts. Yay.

hot_diggity_dog
02-17-2003, 07:02 PM
buying a dodge and then turning around and spending another 5k for a piece of mind in tranny upgrades........kinda makes me think...WTF? Hey jm2drvr,
Let me explain! sleeping
Once you put that bad ass motor with all that Horsepower in a boat what is the weakest link, :confused: the out drive? :o
Your statement would be like asking why turn around then spend another 5k on a B-max or SC out drive. argue
Basically there is so much low end torque in these bad ass diesels that when you up the horse power you want the beefy tranny.
Their like boats, something to tweak on to go faster and ride better. :p
My 1st stock tranny lasted about 135,000 miles before I decided to up my HP from 300HP to about 375+HP I feel safe that I spent the extra dough for the Tranny. :D
MY 1.02 LOL
Hey Brian who ended up with the Yellow fin Tuna Jerky I gave you guy's in Havasu? :mad:

jm2drvr
02-17-2003, 10:12 PM
it never made it off the sandbar...we scarfed it. I'll meet you at the sandbar this sunday, looks like there might be some better weather this weekend...I'm thinking about heading out there.

STV_Keith
02-17-2003, 10:49 PM
It's hard to comprehend the whole trans business. All I can say is get a ride in a Dodge with power and a trans upgrade and you'll know why people spend it.

68 hallett
02-20-2003, 10:11 PM
well all i can say is so far so good with the new cummings motor and 48re trans i am a parts guy at a dodge dealer and so far our busy dealership has only done oil changes and routene services i do not recall giving out any warrenty parts for this truck yet. granted it has only been out a short time but it is real rare to go this long without a problem of some sort. so as a guy who is in a position to see all the problems that might occur i have been very impressed. hope it helps you out.

B-rad502
02-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Get that new high output diesel, it's bad-ass!!

HammerDown
02-21-2003, 04:01 PM
SDLifesaver:
Froggy, I have a Chevy 2500HD but I was a cheap skate and got the 6.0L instead. If I had to do it over I would go 2500HD GMC with the diesel and Allison and switch the grille. Dodge is nice too, but nothing rides like a Chevy/GMC. Ford Suck and everybody has one. My .02 "Ford suck and everybody has one"...
LOL with that comment. Well why do ya think everybody has one...because they don't suck...DUH!!! idea

Trash
02-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Wes,
I don't think I'll be able to change your mind on the Ford issue, nor is it my intention too. I will give you my experiences to hopefully allow you to make a fully informed decision.
As far as Fords falling apart, I can see where you are coming from for certain year vehicles. I've had friends with various year Mustangs and they too, just seemed to rattle apart, however the motor didn't seem to have a problem. Now for trucks, I have two Ford trucks sitting in my driveway as I type, a 1995 Bronco (73k) and a 2000 Excursion w/PSD(41k). The interior build quality, sound deadening, and fit and finish are night and day apart between the two. The Bronco has virtually no sound insulation, and sounds a lot 'tinnier' when I close the doors. Seats suck compared to the Ex too. I've had to tighten fastners left and right on that thing. The Excursion is much, much tighter fitting. In my opinion, they (FORD) really improved the interiors and build quality. Both vehicles were at the top of the stack for their models (Eddie Bauer Bronco and Limited Ex). Again, the Bronco interior compared to the Excursion is a joke.
I've towed with both vehicles quite a bit, usually for trips to local SAN lakes, or Parker, Havasu, Mohave, Mead, Powell. I've also towed cross country to Michigan and back! No problems.
So what am I getting at? The interior build quality for the Fords (at least the truck line) has significantly improved. I've had virtually zero problems with either truck. The diesel is obviously a better towing rig.
Mechanically both have been very good to me. Replaced the alternator on the Bronco. That's it. It has 73k on it. Motor, tranny, and drive components all work great, are beefy, but crude. Wouldn't get it for the ride.
Having lived in Coronado for 10 years, I've seen you guys drive all the Fords around a lot. Beach wear is gonna beat any truck up, period.
Okay, enough Ford stuff. Believe it or not, I'm not a Ford fan, it just looks like it. Every time I've had to purchase a vehicle, I set certain criteria, and it just so happens Ford has fit all those criteria each time.
Chevy: I think the jury is still out on the Duramax. Great plan, but don't know if it's going to pan out in the long run. Time will tell, and I hope it turns out to be a good engine. I plain hate the new slant eye look though. Allison tranny, great call.
Dodge: Cummins is probably the most bullet proof motor and easiest to get crazy HP without modifying the internal parts. Trannys tend to be weaker. Personally, I hate spending a wad on a new vehicle, only to through half the new parts away and modify it. That's me though, I'm kind of practical dork.
Best of luck with the new truck. I'd like to hear (and see) how it tows when you get it, regardless of brand. That's my excuse to hitch a ride in one of those sweet Ultras you drag around. :D
[ February 21, 2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Trash ]

buck183
02-22-2003, 07:53 AM
CA Stu:
Also, as far as spending money on a new vehicle to trick it out, you're joking, right? How many people strap a blower on their new Vette? Lift kits and 35's on their new F150? 20 inch rims on their new Escalade? ;-)
CA Stu <-- Mr 100 posts. Yay. A LOT!!! That's what I do for a living.
I suppose that's what the wink is for though? There has to be some sarcasm there? :)
Buck

hot_diggity_dog
02-22-2003, 08:30 AM
Dodge: Cummins is probably the most bullet proof motor and easiest to get crazy HP without modifying the internal parts. So Froggy,
What color are you getting? :D :D :confused:

27mtrcougar
02-22-2003, 08:41 AM
i love the new ram heavy dutys.hope to get one soon with the ho diesel auto.hey froggy why no 4x4?i have a 99 dodge 2500 v10 47re tranns.i have made many cross country road trips pulling my boat and the truck has never missed a beat.

Froggystyle
02-22-2003, 08:32 PM
Hey guys...
Color, that will be the graphite gray. I love it with the Sport package. All body color bumpers and grille fascia.
I am not going with 4x4 for a variety of reasons.
1) Fuel mileage
2) I have owned several 4x4 vehicles and with the exception of a highly modified 1967 Scout I recently had, I never once took one of them off road.
3) Mechanical complexity.
4) Driveablity
5) Last but not least, I think that lowered trucks on big rims look cooler towing low slung boats than lifted trucks. Personal preference of course. I do love the way lifted trucks look, but don't like driving them as much.

Jordy
02-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Froggy, I hope the airbags you have planned help the ride out. I went skiing with my buddy last weekend with his 2002 3/4 4x4 and it was about enough to kill me ride wise. I don't know how much difference there is betweent the 2wd and the 4x4, but it was like riding in a buckboard. The Cummins is bad ass though. We were getting almost 19mpg going up and back, with a 6 speed manual tranny though. Better than the 16 I get with my 6.5 Chevy, but it is a Chevy. wink :D

Trash
02-22-2003, 09:51 PM
Froggy,
One thing to remember about towing with a lowered vehicle is ground clearance when coming over the top of launch ramps not only for the truck, but the trailer as well. I witnessed this guy with a lowered Chevy dually 2WD, trying to retrieve his 36 or so foot Fountain at Glorietta Bay (right next door to your old stomping grounds) and bottom out the trailer so hard he couldn't get up the ramp. The problem was compounded by several other things: 2WD, no weight in bed, no posi, poor driving habit (guy was smoking the tires)and wet ramp. To actually retrieve the boat, he had to get a running start, and have someone in the boat, with both motors running, in gear adding "thrust" to the equation until the props popped clear of the water. What a frickin scene. Motors sounded cool though....
If you aren't worried about whacking the trailer, it's not a big deal, but some of the trailers I see today I'd almost be afraid to get wet!! Hell they probably cost more than my car.

Froggystyle
02-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Trash:
Froggy,
One thing to remember about towing with a lowered vehicle is ground clearance when coming over the top of launch ramps not only for the truck, but the trailer as well. I witnessed this guy with a lowered Chevy dually 2WD, trying to retrieve his 36 or so foot Fountain at Glorietta Bay (right next door to your old stomping grounds) and bottom out the trailer so hard he couldn't get up the ramp. The problem was compounded by several other things: 2WD, no weight in bed, no posi, poor driving habit (guy was smoking the tires)and wet ramp. To actually retrieve the boat, he had to get a running start, and have someone in the boat, with both motors running, in gear adding "thrust" to the equation until the props popped clear of the water. What a frickin scene. Motors sounded cool though....
If you aren't worried about whacking the trailer, it's not a big deal, but some of the trailers I see today I'd almost be afraid to get wet!! Hell they probably cost more than my car. Good point, but two considerations. I will never tow a boat larger than 28', and with 'bags you can bump it up to clear anything.
I personally can't see me driving a boat bigger than 24'. I am not a big fan of anything much larger, though I am aware of the market for them.

Trash
02-23-2003, 06:38 PM
Good point about the airbags/air ride suspension. That would solve the problem. Didn't think of that. At least get posi for me!! wink

Just Tool'n
02-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Was just at Chevy dealer on Friday, getting a few durmax diesel's in for warranty, Mechanic said for injector problems. You guys know that fuel pressure at the injectors are like 23,000psi.
He said that it is more bad fuel related than anything else, but GM has not come out with a way to clean out the injectors just yet. I always buy my diesel at large truck stops for that reason alone.
Mechanic said new injectors are $5,000. Not my idea of a cheap fix.

Just Tool'n
02-23-2003, 10:30 PM
Was just at Chevy dealer on Friday, getting a few durmax diesel's in for warranty, Mechanic said for injector problems. You guys know that fuel pressure at the injectors are like 23,000psi.
He said that it is more bad fuel related than anything else, but GM has not come out with a way to clean out the injectors just yet. I always buy my diesel at large truck stops for that reason alone.
Mechanic said new injectors are $5,000. Not my idea of a cheap fix.

TX flat
03-06-2003, 12:57 AM
Don't let my hubby fool ya'll....it's MY truck! I just let him borrow it. LOL
Mrs. TX flat

Screaming Pete
04-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Wes, I 've had a 95 2 wheel drive for 8 years and 260,000 miles and just know starting to have some shift point problems on the tranny The only problems i've have on the launch ramps is wheel slip so make sure you get the rear end that is more of a pozzy, a real 2 wheel drive :)

77charger
04-23-2003, 03:02 PM
buck183:
Two things that have stood out in this thread so far....
A 1994-2001 Dodge truck and the words "resale value" don't go in the same sentence.
ONLY one person touched on the transmission issue with the Dodge. Seems kind of odd with the amount of problems they've had with them. I do realize that this a new tranny, but I would let someone else be a lab rat on this one.
Buck
#183 Heres another for the weak trans.we have 4 dodge deisels and each one has toasted at least 1 trans none never more than 80k on the odometer.1 cracked a block(99)two have cracked the exhaust manifolds(both 99s)

wannajetboat
04-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Hi Froggy,
I personally have a 01 GMC 2500HD 2WD, same as you I couldn't stand the new front end on the Chevy so I stayed away also the GMC with a Billet Grille is sweet. I would have loved to get the Duramax Diesel but was to cheap to put out the extra $4,000.00, I ended up getting the 8.1L with the Allison Tranny and other than 10MPG the truck kicks ass, I am going to put a Flowmaster on it, they say you can get an extra two to three MPG. Also the ride is pretty good, it isn't nearly as stiff as my Father-in-laws F250, that POC will make your molars fall out. :cool:

SchellSchock
04-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Just my $.02. I bought a 2500 Suburban with the 8.1 and th Auto 4 speed. The tranny is essintially a 400 trans with OD., not quite as cool as the Allison but still pretty bullet proof. The motor kicks a$$. It pulls my 4000# boat,(loaded including 1000# of Wet sacks) like its not even there. I looked into the trucks but the Chevy Headlights turned me off. The GMC's are OK though. The Diesel is OK But at a $4500.00 Upgrade it will take alot of miles to even out the cost savings from gas/diesel. The bonus with the Burb is it has the Autoride suspension which levels when the trailer is on Automatically.

full throttle
04-27-2003, 07:13 AM
Froggy, Go w/ the Dodge. No question about it! I've got a y2k 3500 cummins 4x lifted/ loaded with some power upgrades and love it. I purchased it for a tow rig and have used the hell out of it. 48000mi and still like new. Last year I got a wild hair to buy the Chev. with the d-max/allision combo (to replace the dodge) on an option 1 deal, drove it for 6 mos. and ended up selling the Chev. I pull alot of heavy stuff with my trucks (boats, backhoe, hay, and lumber)and would buy nothing but the RAM. My truck @ work is a 2001 Ford f-450, and it is falling apart at 15K.
P.S. do you know my bro-in-law? He was w/Team 5.

full throttle
04-27-2003, 07:18 AM
Stupid ass me! bro-in-laws name, Dean Guelich.

Trouble Maker
04-27-2003, 10:33 AM
2002 Dodge Diesel, auto, every option I think they have. Would have got the standard, but they didn't have one in stock. No problems yet though.... If you have a choice...go with the standard tranny!!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/138Truck03-med.jpg
:D :D :D

SoCalOffshore
04-27-2003, 09:10 PM
Drive the Dodge and then drive the Chevy/GMC. I did and picked up my Chevy 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab with Duramax/Allison a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't be happier with it.