PDA

View Full Version : SuperDuty Brake Sqeek

BADAXE
01-20-2003, 10:40 AM
I have a 2000 F350 4WD Crew Cab V10. At about 25,000 miles the brakes started making a loud sqeek while braking, almost all the time. Anybody else have this problem? The Ford dealer has inspected and it has plenty of pad left, they say according to Ford sqeeking brakes are normal for this truck. Any ideas?

Jordy
01-20-2003, 10:44 AM
BADAXE:
they say according to Ford sqeeking brakes are normal for this truck. Any ideas? I'd take it to a different dealer. I see all kinds of Fords on the road that don't have squeaking brakes. Other than that, you might even look on the Ford website and find a contact there and see what they recommend. Sounds like they don't know what the problem is or don't want to deal with it, so they are telling you to deal with it. I wouldn't be happy with a cop out answer like that though.

Beautiful Noise
01-20-2003, 03:46 PM
I have a 99 super Duty,I never had a Sqeek but I did replace my Front Pad's at around 30,000 then again at 46,000 but this time I had to Replace my Front Rotor's.I never even had the chance to Turn them once go figure, I haven't touched my Rear's yet. :rolleyes:
Steve

jstwkd
01-20-2003, 05:05 PM
Brakes on cars and trucks have changed alot over the years.They went to semi metalic brake pad and a lighter rotor. usually the complaint is a vibration. Due to warped rotors and if you warped the stock set up thier is no reason to remove material to make the rotor flat.You will just warp them again. Depending on your braking habbits they can start to make noise. Try switching to a organic pad.They also make a spray that is suppose to help you brake in a new set of pads.It works pretty good but it stink and the brakes feel like they dont work quite as well the first couple hundred miles
Some times you can take the vehicle and take it somewhere safe and hit the brakes HARD to scrub the face of the pad.Then try and rebrake in the pads. It only works on 1 out of ten cars.By braking in the pads I mean drive the truck for a couple hundred miles making complete stops and not jamming on the brakes hard or stopping at the last minute.
Depending how many miles are on the vehicle the dealer will not want to fix a brake problem.Brakes squeaking is not covered under a warranty.I'm sure you'll get alot more advise just my 02.

MOPAR2YA
01-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Most common problem with brakes is insufficient lube between the brake pad and shim that attaches to pad itself. 3M sells a 6 ounce "jar" labeled Brake Lube. The contents looks like liquid copper. This has always worked for me, (assuming no hot spots are there.) Good luck and just my .02
[ January 25, 2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: MOPAR2YA ]