PDA

View Full Version : Start of Sand Season

BADBLOWN572
10-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Does anyone have any plans for hitting the dunes this upcomming season? I know some of us are planning on heading out to Dumont for Halloween.

wsuwrhr
10-20-2003, 02:34 PM
I go to Glamis mostly, but I can't wait for this season to start. Scott is finally ready with his car he has been working on for years now. I have been dying to go.
Brian

Havasubum
10-20-2003, 02:37 PM
i go to glamis. cant wait till our first trip

BADBLOWN572
10-20-2003, 02:53 PM
Oh well, trust me there will be plenty of riding this winter. :D :D :D

CHEETER-JOE
10-20-2003, 02:56 PM
Oh yea, I will be there in three days!!!!

bohica
10-20-2003, 02:59 PM
Went to Glamis the weekend before last and will be heading out again for Halloween. It's still pretty dam hot, so I hope it starts to cool off a little.
This is a pic of a guy that had a bad day last weekend.
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/album08/Glamis_03_10_17_003.sized.jpg

dimarcobros
10-20-2003, 03:05 PM
Looks like that guy rolled his rig. Are sandrails pretty cheap to fix?
DMB:confused:

hboldno7
10-20-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by dimarcobros
nope

CHEETER-JOE
10-20-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by dimarcobros
Thats a 60k car. Not cheap.

Havasubum
10-20-2003, 03:09 PM
bohica, hows the weather out there in glamis?

BADBLOWN572
10-20-2003, 03:10 PM
there is no such thing as a cheap part on a nice sandrail. That one in the picture is definitely a long travel car. I talked to Sandcars Unlimited about a week or two ago and they say that most of the cars that roll out of their shop are $60k+ and some are as much as $85k. No such thing as cheap parts!

Caribbean Jet
10-20-2003, 03:25 PM
Were hitiing Glamis the first weekend In November (AFTER Halloween)

SCUBA STEVE
10-20-2003, 03:39 PM
Not into the sand toy thing at all. But I saw this sandrail burned to a crisp the weekend of RD'S B-DAY in parker.
I didnt understand why the "cockpit" (dont know the term)
& the frame was the only things burned. The tires, engine, ect, looked brand new.
I thought it was freshly burned too because the seats & stuff were still flaking off while they were driving. (on a flat bed)
Maybe they were restoring it w/o re painting the frame??

Gman
10-20-2003, 03:52 PM
Headed to Ocatillo for Halloween. then Glamis every other weekend. Gotta love the desert:D

77charger
10-20-2003, 03:56 PM
might be glamis bound this weekend if not the following for sure i will know tomorrow.

h2oski2fast
10-20-2003, 03:58 PM
That was one of my friend's car. The car caught on fire in their garage over Labor day weekend. It's gonna take around $10K to fix it. It didn't hurt the frame, motor, trans, or suspension but mostly the interior (but it has to be completely disassembled to be re powder coated). Luckily it didn't hurt the 22' Shiada and the 2 golf carts that were in the garage also. Plus, their 28' Party Cat was tied to the dock in front of the house. 2 different fire inspectors came from Pheonix to find the cause, but none has been determined. They 1st thought it was the garage door opener, but have ruled that out. Having been in the 12 volt electronics industry for over 10 years, I looked over the car. My feeling was that it was caused by the wiring in the car. Mainly a lack of fusing near the battery, when a wire grounded to the chassis causing the rear seat to catch fire. They were all in the front of the house (away from the garage), lucky for them someone saw the smoke coming out of the garage and alerted them of the fire.

Ziggy
10-20-2003, 03:59 PM
Look forward to some dune action myself--Banshees ready and waiting, and I know my daughter is anxious too.
Where do most of you guys camp at? we usually stay in the Garbage flats area, close to the small dunes where we can keep an eye for daughter while she roosts by herself:D I get such a kick out of riding with her and seeing her little blonde ponytail sticking out(proud papa:cool: )

bohica
10-20-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Havasubum
bohica, hows the weather out there in glamis?
Hot.
Two weekends ago high was 95, but it was a full moon, so it made for some great night rides and early morning was nice too.
Heard this past weekend it was close to 100, but cooling down a bit at night. Hope it's a lot cooler by Halloween.:D

wrightnow
10-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by GGMMAANN
Headed to Ocatillo for Halloween. then Glamis every other weekend. Gotta love the desert:D
77, I'm heading out this weekend also, where do you camp? Were almost always at gecko and should be there this weekend
Mark

bohica
10-20-2003, 04:08 PM
Damn for 60 K you'd think they'd build a frame that wouldn't bend like that (look at the roof) when ya roll it in the sand.. ???
Mine is a rock buggy so it's built alot stouter then a sandcar (heavier as a result) but I don't think it would look that bad if I pushed it off of a cliff..
RD:eek:
Car did pretty good considering it was a roll at close to 90MPH. Driver was unhurt, which says a lot about the car. It's an Extreme Performance car.

Danhercules
10-20-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by bohica
Went to Glamis the weekend before last and will be heading out again for Halloween. It's still pretty dam hot, so I hope it starts to cool off a little.
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/album08/Glamis_03_10_17_003.sized.jpg
Too much $$$ Too much HP and not enough experience. Sad to see a buggy trashed like that. My brother use to build cars like that and he could not belive how many came back the 1st weekend out rolled.

SoCalOffshore
10-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Who makes the best cars for under $60,000?

BoatFloating
10-20-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
Does anyone have any plans for hitting the dunes this upcomming season? I know some of us are planning on heading out to Dumont for Halloween.
Danny, we will have to hook up this season. This next weekend will be our last out at Havasu then gear up for sand season. We go to Glamis and Dumont but Dumont more than Glamis. Dumont seems to be more kid friendly. Lets hook up, give me a call.:D

anxious
10-20-2003, 04:41 PM
going for halloween, two weeks after that and then a week for thanksgiving. this is the extreme performance car that was doing a wheelie and came down with the tires cranked to the right, caught and then rolled. it broke alot of the welds. going to take a pretty penny to fix.

CHEETER-JOE
10-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by SoCalOffshore
You can get a nice car for under 60k, it all depends on the options. The paint alone on that car is prob close to 5k.

BADBLOWN572
10-20-2003, 05:00 PM
Rocky, we do have to hook up for sand season. Since last winter I got two new bikes. I got myself another banshee and a CR250. I like Dumont better than Glamis too. Usually the people there are friendlier and the dunes are a lot bigger. Last winter we were at Dumont almost every other weekend and I hit Glamis 3x. I do not like Glamis for holidays. Gets too crazy for my taste. I would rather go to Dumont, not worry about your stuff and bring your own party. Halloween is the first trip, but after that it will probably be every other weekend again this year. If you are heading out, give me a call at 714-313-8757.

Casanova
10-20-2003, 08:03 PM
Does anyone have any plans for hitting the dunes this upcomming season? I know some of us are planning on heading out to Dumont for Halloween. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/939PA150012-med.JPG
Son on his new YFZ 450 I bought him for his birthday and a good report card.
We go all the time.
Strong talk of RD making an appearance,,
Temps still in the100's.
Can't miss my camp,, Tiki hut (host) bar with green strobelight.
Yea,, you're all invited.
Stop by and meet the dune legends, perhaps become one, and check out some awsum horsepower machinery.
- Ross

BADBLOWN572
10-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Casanova, we will be getting into Dumont on Thursday night before Halloween. We usually camp over next to the mini dunes just as you come in. We will be setting up a big circle for everyone in our group to camp in. Also. our buddy Todd has a 30' tall light pole on his truck that connects to a rotating red light and a big pirate flag underneath. If you cant spot that, you will probably catch the bonefire. It goes huge. It would be great to meet up with anyone from the boards. Maybe if we are lucky RD will grace us with his presence (hehe).

BADBLOWN572
10-21-2003, 10:41 AM
1) you do have to have a helmet. If you don't you are asking for a trip to the hospital or a nice ticket.
2 & 3) Dave, there is nothing that has to do with spark arrestors. Many of the bikes out there have drag pipes on them which are loud as can be and no spark arrestors at all. Simply an expanision chamber and a pipe exiting the bike
4) They shouldn't give you any problem about being AZ registered. They will simply ask for your registration (if you are ever stopped) and be on their way. I have not been stopped in 3 years of heading out. Also, this time of the year, you can ride with a red sticker. So it wouldn't matter anyways.

BADBLOWN572
10-21-2003, 10:44 AM
What type of tires do you have now?

bear down
10-21-2003, 11:11 AM
We are going Nov 7-9 to Glamis for our first trip.

Her454
10-21-2003, 11:14 AM
A bunch of us from MotherLode***boats are heading down to Pismo the weekend before Thanksgiving to open up our sand season! :D

Sun burners
10-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Glamis Halloween!!!

bohica
10-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by bear down
We are going Nov 7-9 to Glamis for our first trip.
I'll be there that weekend, Pad 4. It's the Funco regatta that weekend, should be a lot of fun.:D

Gman
10-21-2003, 01:04 PM
Dave if your rolling the quad to Glamis, get yourself some paddles. You don't have to have them, but trust me you will love having them.:D Or if your feeling froggy buy a truggie:D And hold on!

OGShocker
10-21-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by SoCalOffshore
Try here! Ask for Seth!!!!! (http://www.amplifiedperformance.com/)

THOR
10-21-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
Danny, we will have to hook up this season. This next weekend will be our last out at Havasu then gear up for sand season. We go to Glamis and Dumont but Dumont more than Glamis. Dumont seems to be more kid friendly. Lets hook up, give me a call.:D
I think I have camped next to that guy. Does that have a turbo Subaru?

BoatFloating
10-21-2003, 01:54 PM
Rocky, we do have to hook up for sand season. Since last winter I got two new bikes. I got myself another banshee and a CR250. I like Dumont better than Glamis too. Usually the people there are friendlier and the dunes are a lot bigger. Last winter we were at Dumont almost every other weekend and I hit Glamis 3x. I do not like Glamis for holidays. Gets too crazy for my taste. I would rather go to Dumont, not worry about your stuff and bring your own party. Halloween is the first trip, but after that it will probably be every other weekend again this year. If you are heading out, give me a call at 714-313-8757.
Our first weekend will be the 8th and 9th. I'll call ya
Casanova, those 450's are one sweet machine. I want and see the new Honda 450 in person before I make a choice.

BADBLOWN572
10-21-2003, 01:55 PM
THOR are you talking to me? I do not have a turbo Sub. I only have bikes.

BoatFloating
10-21-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by THOR
I think I have camped next to that guy. Does that have a turbo Subaru?
Hey Thor, I think you meant to quote the post below me and quoted me. The new look of the forums have everyone messed up. The quote is on the bottom now.

THOR
10-21-2003, 01:59 PM
THOR are you talking to me? I do not have a turbo Sub. I only have bikes.
Whoops, it was actually to the owner of the orange sand rail.

bohica
10-21-2003, 02:08 PM
Thor,
That orange buggy had a turbo rotary motor - 427HP , not Subie. :D

THOR
10-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Thor,
That orange buggy had a turbo rotary motor - 427HP , not Subie. :D
That is the dude then. Ouch. Poor guy. He was a really good driver when I was with him.

nextasex
10-21-2003, 07:51 PM
I went this past weekend and it was freakin hot. Road all morning and afternoon and night of course. Was a great weekend, RD, bro, trust me, take paddles.
Frank

BADBLOWN572
10-22-2003, 01:03 PM
That crash with the sandrail was pictured at Glamisdunes.com It is wild.
1) Racing
http://www.sandbros.com/glamis/railcrash10-03/PA183763.JPG
2) Nice wheelie & crossing up the front wheels (NOT GOOD)
http://www.sandbros.com/glamis/railcrash10-03/PA183764.JPG
3) OOPS
http://www.sandbros.com/glamis/railcrash10-03/PA183765.JPG
4) Damn...That looks expensive!
http://www.sandbros.com/glamis/railcrash10-03/PA183768.JPG
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/album08/Glamis_03_10_17_002.sized.jpg
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/album08/Glamis_03_10_17_005.sized.jpg
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/album08/Glamis_03_10_17_006.sized.jpg

Danhercules
10-22-2003, 02:30 PM
My dad has the ultamate set of tools!!!!!!!! I can fix it!!!!

Casanova
10-22-2003, 06:06 PM
Casanova, we will be getting into Dumont on Thursday night before Halloween. We usually camp over next to the mini dunes just as you come in. We will be setting up a big circle for everyone in our group to camp in. Also. our buddy Todd has a 30' tall light pole on his truck that connects to a rotating red light and a big pirate flag underneath. If you cant spot that, you will probably catch the bonefire. It goes huge. It would be great to meet up with anyone from the boards. Maybe if we are lucky RD will grace us with his presence (hehe).
Probably can't make it out Halloween, but will post all the other trips and we'll track you down.
My daughter asks if there are any Teenage boys in your group?? (It never stops)
Thanks, and see you out there very soon with RD.

BADBLOWN572
10-23-2003, 05:22 AM
Cas, nope no teenage boys in our group. I am the youngest at 24. I am sure that she could find some up there. hehe. I am sure you are looking forward to that.

anxious
10-23-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Danhercules
My dad has the ultamate set of tools!!!!!!!! I can fix it!!!!
my brother is going to sh$!, he's going to kill us.
well make up your mind, is he going to sh!$ or kill us

Jrocket
10-23-2003, 04:50 PM
First he's gonna shit,then he's gonna kill us!