PDA

View Full Version : do we all have our guards in place? (GRAPHIC!!!)

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
10-23-2003, 03:57 AM
All,
This is VERY GRAPHIC!! Do we have all our guards in place?
The attached photos are somewhat graphic, but are
self-explanatory and raise three very good safety points that are worthy of discussion:
* Why exactly does OSHA require guards on rotating equipment.
* Why exactly do we ask employees to be very careful around rotating equipment. And,
* Why exactly do we tell employees not to let their lanyards dangle loose or drag around when not in use.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Accidente_1_-med.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Accidente_2_-med.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Accidente-med.jpg
Omega (gonna be real safe next time he's in the field)

Wet Dream
10-23-2003, 05:11 AM
What kind of rpm's was that turning? It looks like it couldn't have been going too fast, there are alot of parts attached still. And the paint lines aren't all wrapped up like you'd expect. Whats the story behind this?

JetBoatRich
10-23-2003, 05:29 AM
Hard way to learn a lesson, he got tore up:mad:

RandyH
10-23-2003, 06:58 AM
It doesnt look like to a well run place at all, Electrical conduit with lids off, no gaurds, dirty with grease all over. Looks like a third world factory to me. Maybe one of those that got moved down from the states..... I love how Osha post pictures of all these accidents on their website and most of them dont take place in the states.
RandyH

HOSS
10-23-2003, 10:01 AM
My question s did he fix the problem?
Try long hair and a drill press. Watched a guy(been there for 20+ years) get his pony tail caught in the drill press at a Halter Marine yard. In fact it was during the MK-V project. Anyway it scalped him just past the eyebrows. Big John was his name. This was a guy with more experience than most just let his guard down for a split instant.

fourspeednup
10-23-2003, 10:54 AM
That's ungood. Anybody see the monster garage where the guy refused to wear shoes? Not much of a comparison to this guy's problem though.:eek:

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
10-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by HOSS
My question s did he fix the problem?
Try long hair and a drill press. Watched a guy(been there for 20+ years) get his pony tail caught in the drill press at a Halter Marine yard. In fact it was during the MK-V project. Anyway it scalped him just past the eyebrows. Big John was his name. This was a guy with more experience than most just let his guard down for a split instant. it looks as if he was not quite finished painting......definitely not my choice of ways to go. From the looks of the coupler it looks to be a slow moving piece of equipment.....very slow:(
Omega

HammerDown
10-23-2003, 11:37 AM
One things for sure...none of his body parts were going to stop that motor from turning.

mbrown2
10-23-2003, 11:56 AM
Not a good way to end a day at work...

Stupid Fast
10-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Hits home for me. I used to do alot of millright work. Several times I have come "too close". Things like that do not even "feel" a human body. Safety first. 12 years in the field and no injurys or accidents on my crews........ Knock on wood.

h2oski2fast
10-23-2003, 12:58 PM
Do they cut him out, or do they just turn the machine back on till he's spit out?

watergirl
10-23-2003, 01:03 PM
Okay this might be a stupid question but did this guy die?
That is an awful way to die or even go through that. Can you imagine the pain? :( :eek!:

Mandelon
10-23-2003, 01:18 PM
:yuk: He would be easy to carpool with though. He would just need a small box. :rolleyes: :frown:
Sick, sorry I know. That is somebody's husband, son or dad.......:frown:

HOSS
10-23-2003, 08:05 PM
I`m not convinced this guy is flatlining yet. His hand appears to be griping the conduit. Not much blood is on the ground. Lower areas of clothing don`t appear to be wet and the melon is fully intact with hard hat. I`m thinking very slow rpms and maybe just spun up real close to the shaft. Might have a hell of a headache. Concrete `ll do that to ya.

HOSS
10-23-2003, 08:08 PM
I meen he`s a little tweeked but Gandi does that stuff for exercise.

LASERRAY
10-23-2003, 10:28 PM
This is why The Liquid Lunch is frowned upon.:frown:

ColeTR1
10-23-2003, 11:48 PM
I think the body was going round and round for a while. I don’t think the hand is holding on. Look at the distance from the hand to where the elbow is? And where the hell is the other foot. My other thought when I first looked at the picture was that it is a black chick. Look at how small the hand is? I think D.O.A. :frown:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Accidente_2_-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Accidente-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Accidente_1_-med.jpg

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
10-24-2003, 03:27 AM
Hoss I'm pretty sure that person is not breathing anymore.....but if they were how do you get them out of a situation like that???
Omega

HOSS
10-24-2003, 05:40 AM
Ok RD, I am getting a more thorough view now. That is one big bicep! EEEEEEWWWW! The arm does seem to be a little long. I guess he`s toast. His insides must be minced. His skin is acting like a Plastic Walmart bag just to contain everything.
Your right. That person is deffinately not into the idea of breathing.
Someone mentioned OSHA. Now if that was caged how do ya paint. And on top of that he`s wearing a harness that is probably the reason he got pulvarized to begin with. OSHA compliant states that anytime you are 4 feet high or higher you have to wear a safety harness. Which I think is stupid `cause of the lead till ya stop. But they know best. I sure do wish that guy wasn`t wearing a harness.

FastTimmy
10-24-2003, 05:43 AM
Looks like the guy was painting.. What a way to go:eek:

Sherpa
10-26-2003, 08:01 AM
"Round and round and round she goes, where she stops. nobody
knows!"
hard lesson.......
At my first tech job, my boss told be about his first job. working
for PH cranes. they had this huge crane, powered by it's own
electrical power plant. a service-crew was working on it testing
voltages on the crane. somebody bumped a switch and the
crane moved just a bit. the elctrician fell onto the power-grid
in the crane and instantly fried.......
I'm always cautious working on my mill and lathe just for the
"stupid-factor" that can happen to anybody at any time.
--Sherpa

Infomaniac
10-26-2003, 09:07 AM
Maybe it is not too late to put the machine in reverse?
Unwind the guy.

lilrick
10-26-2003, 05:39 PM
ouch. he is wearing fall protection ,so it's possible he fell onto the rotating assembly from above.

HOSS
10-26-2003, 05:42 PM
No shit.

Jungle Boy
10-26-2003, 07:21 PM
After working on drilling and service rigs for 26 years I've seen a few accidents and have had to do several accident investigations. In doing so I have made a couple of observations over time. Most job sites have never been safer than they are now. Guards, safety hooks, latches, cable inpsection ect is as good as it's ever been. So why are there still many people getting hurt on the job? Let me say first that most of them are young guys, new to the job.
1 - When I started working as a roughneck there were very few safety rules & regulations as there are now and the ones that were in place were broken on a regular basis. Back then, you were responsible for yours and your coworkers safety. If you seen somebody doing something stupid you'd speak up and let him know. I can not remember having people getting hurt on the rig then. We got more hurt going to the bar at night and fighting with the local cowboys.
2 - Now, most places have all these bullshit safety men that dream up new ways to disrupt work flow and giving these bullshit pep talks, which give new workers a false sense of security. They now believe that their safety is somebody elses duty. I'm all for worker safety and always hate when somebody does get hurt, but 99% of the time it's their own ****ing fault. They don't see possible problems areas, cause they think it's being done for them.
3 - Most new / young guys in manual jobs these days have very little to none mechanical apptitude. They have never had to wrench on their old beater cars to get them going in the morning or fix it on the side of the road. The cars now are more dependable and that's a good thing, but it robs the young guys of working with bolts, wrenches, heavy, moving parts. I'd rather skin my knuckles on a car fan belt than having my hand ripped apart by a shaft spinning at 2500 rpm. But if you have skinned your selve on your fan belt, you're more likely to stay way from a moving shaft in a plant or job site. They go in to a new job site with NO mechanical experience at all, then the safety guys fill their heads with all the bullshit. So they head out and think that with all the safety gear and talks, that they are safe. They don't look around for them selves.
4 - Supervisors give out tasks that they could do when entering the job market, assuming that the new guy can do them now. The new guy is afraid to say "hey man, I'm not sure about doing this properly". They want to do a good job, but have no idea on how to do just that.
I could go on and still make no sense, but I'm at work and need to get back outside, before someone does something stupid and I get sued.

fourspeednup
10-26-2003, 07:36 PM
Tough day on the job? Make it a Mike's hard lemonade.:D