PDA

View Full Version : 300 Illegal Workers Arrested at Walmarts..

GrapeApe
10-23-2003, 10:01 AM
What kind of background checks does an Employer have to make to be sure an Employee is not an Illegal Alien..? 300 jobs that Americans could have. You know there must be a S**t ton more working for them.
*** Grape Ape *** http://www.msnbc.com/news/984086.asp?vts=102320031036

Dr. Eagle
10-23-2003, 10:06 AM
My understanding is that the workers were employed by a Janitorial Contractor for Wal Mart. As far as background checks, as far as I know you have to prove citizenship or residency and answer the question on you application.
Either a birth certificate or passport, or green card is required. But that documentation can be falsified...and I have read that there are mills that produce these fake docs...
The Wal Mart folks are being investigated as to their knowledge of the Contractors use of undocumented immigrant labor. There were some comments on the news channels that some higher up Wal Mart officials may have been aware of this situation...it will remain to be seen.

572Daytona
10-23-2003, 10:06 AM
From what I read they weren't WalMart employees but employees of a subcontractor that was hired by WalMart. Leave it to the press to distort the headline for sensationalism. That would be like saying you hired illegal aliens if you hired a builder to build your house who had illegals working for him.

TheLurker
10-23-2003, 10:09 AM
From the article-->
"The workers arrested were detained at local immigration offices, the official said.
>>If they had no previous criminal record, they were released with notices to appear before immigration judges.<<"
Ya right they will all be good and come back to appear. I guess that is job security for the immigration officals. Catch them turn them loose then catch them again. An ongoing cycle

Dr. Eagle
10-23-2003, 10:39 AM
I think I understood what you meant. And even if not legally required to take action as a customer (of the janitorial contractor) against them, (don't know if it is required or not) if the management at Wal Mart knew what was going on, it would have been prudent to do something. If no other reason than the public perception of impropriety. Sometimes perception right or wrong can cause serious harm to a company like Wal Mart.
It is prudent for a large company like WM to take extraordinary measures such as having thier contractors certify thier complience with the law. Just like a general contractor has their sub contractors certify that they have safety plans and other regulatory requirements satisfied...interesting dilema for WM.

Seadog
10-23-2003, 11:55 AM
I'm sure a few managers knew what is going on, but I am also sure that these companies had already signed an agreement that all their workers met certain standards. If these companies chose to ignore federal law, why wouldn't they ignore a contract restrictions if they thought they could get away with it.

Mandelon
10-23-2003, 12:45 PM
Wal-Mart must grind the janitorial subcontractors as much as they grind their vendors.
Cheapest cleaning crews must use the cheapest workers. Guess who they are? They could pay the cleaning crew a working wage and get US citizens to do it, but then Wal-Mart would have to charge more for their stuff........
I dont' think many company owners hire illegals cuz they want to. Low bidders get the jobs, some folks do what they have to, to get the work. The penalties are pretty stiff if you get caught. But if you can't charge enough to pay a decent wage then illegals are what you get.

Dave C
10-23-2003, 12:46 PM
Its easy to get hire an illegal even if you don't want to. If they have a valid form of ID (which can be forged) and an SS#, you can hire them.
You find out their illegal once you issue W-2's and the government sends you back a report with all the "invalid" SS #'s. At that point you are required to terminate their employment.
I have a client that has this problem, and she has 200 employees but regularly has 10-20 illegals do this to her. Once she gets the report of invalid SS#'s she fires them but its usually a year after their hire.

Blown 472
10-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Wal mart does not own anything sept the store building and the ground, all the product in there is owned by the manufactuer and they just sell thru wal mart, same dealio with home depot, why do you think they can put up a store on every block.

Her454
10-23-2003, 12:49 PM
Kind of along the same lines.....earlier in the year my daughter and I were in the WalMart in Yuma (on the border) and 98% of the employees were Hispanic (to remain politically correct) and you could hear spanish all over the store and very broken English on the PA system and my daughter whispers..."Mom, are we in Mexico"? I LMAO!

Dr. Eagle
10-23-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Her454
Kind of along the same lines.....earlier in the year my daughter and I were in the WalMart in Yuma (on the border) and 98% of the employees were Hispanic (to remain politically correct) and you could hear spanish all over the store and very broken English on the PA system and my daughter whispers..."Mom, are we in Mexico"? I LMAO!
Had a very similar experience in El Paso this year...almost felt like it was in Mexico...

leibniz
10-23-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by GrapeApe
What kind of background checks does an Employer have to make to be sure an Employee is not an Illegal Alien..? 300 jobs that Americans could have. You know there must be a S**t ton more working for them.
*** Grape Ape *** http://www.msnbc.com/news/984086.asp?vts=102320031036
Here's what that MSNBC report looks like when you hold it up to a mirror...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/589news-med.jpg

Her454
10-23-2003, 02:41 PM
LMAO, pretty funny!

RandyH
10-23-2003, 02:46 PM
Damn, that new text editing option is the shintz. :D
RandyH

Dr. Eagle
10-23-2003, 03:28 PM
LMAO, looks like I going to be headin to Mexico now....

sorry dog
10-23-2003, 03:42 PM
You find out their illegal once you issue W-2's and the government sends you back a report with all the "invalid" SS #'s. At that point you are required to terminate their employment.
That sometimes takes years because usually a forged SS card is a copy of real ss number. It's just there might be 6 people paying taxes to it. For some reason it takes the IRS a while to find these.

Jrocket
10-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Come to think of it,I havent seen Charley on here in awhile!:D

jbtrailerjim
10-23-2003, 04:09 PM
My father and I own a small business (about 25 employee's). We don't do any background checks (Too expensive). Most of our employees are hispanic and every once in a while we get a notice from the social security office stateing that one of our guy's is working under a false or somebody elses S.S.#. Most of the time the employee has worked for us at least six months usually longer. The shitty part of it is. Sometimes it's a guy that is a really good worker but we are forced to fire them if they can not produce a valid S.S card. Which I understand. If he's not legal he should not be here working.
We had a worker a couple years back that had got injured supposedly fell off a ladder. No one saw it though. So we send him to the clinic to get checked. They say a mild back injury (strained muscle or something). He's off for a week or so. Doctor releases him back to full duty work with no restrictions. He comes back to work and everything is fine. A few weeks go by and we get a notice from the S.S. office stating to us his S.S.# is not valid. We let him know and give him a couple of weeks to get it straightened out or we were going to have to let him go. Needless to say. He could not produce a valid card so we let him go. Less than 1 week later he's back at the doctor saying his back is hurting again.
Now over two years later this is still not settled. His attorney is saying he need's surgery and there trying to get him permanent dissability. Our bitch to the insurance company is; how is this guy entitled to this when he is here obviously illegally.
This is one of the reasons this states workmans comp. system is so f**cked up.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Mandelon
10-23-2003, 06:40 PM
Call "La Migra" on his ass and get him deported...:mad:

TCHB
10-23-2003, 06:58 PM
Come on guys we all know that illigal people are building our vacation homes, washing are cars, cooking our fast food, cleaning our hotel rooms, and the list goes on. Out in Havasu I walked into a new house that was being built and all the workers could not speek english. They were working off ladders that looked unsafe as hell, with little or no tools. The home builder knows exactly what he is doing. He is saving money and is part of the problem.

25 Eagle
10-24-2003, 05:28 AM
I bet Sam is rolling over in his grave. Remember when his stores boasted "Made in America"? Well that's a joke now. This country is going down the tubes fast, please register to vote.

Seadog
10-24-2003, 05:29 AM
And what is the answer? If you decide not to hire a Hispanic with poor english skills, you are a racist and can be sued. What is the pity is that too many kids today do not want to do blue collar work. All the gals want to be marine biologists and the guys want to be sports figures or computer geeks. Right now the intelligent kid should be looking at machinist, mechanic or some similar fields, because that is where the need is. We need to make kids do the unpleasant jobs and learn what it means, before they start getting the 'meaningful' jobs.
I am beginning to believe that the best solution to the illegal immigrant problem is to make it federal law denying them rights and benefits. Treat them as potential terrorist and ship them off to an island internment camp for a year before shipping them back home. Drastic, but effective.

Dr. Eagle
10-24-2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by 25 Eagle
I bet Sam is rolling over in his grave. Remember when his stores boasted "Made in America"? Well that's a joke now. This country is going down the tubes fast, please register to vote.
Vote for what???

25 Eagle
10-24-2003, 08:18 AM
Vote for anybody or anything that you feel might turn this country around. We are in big trouble and getting out to vote is are only hope. I don't want to preach or get into politics on a boat site, so lets just do the right thing. VOTE!