PDA

View Full Version : Sun Glasses

Screaming Pete
10-24-2003, 10:08 AM
What kind of sunglasses do you where, are the 150 $ pair worth all the jack?:cool:

GlastronGuy
10-24-2003, 10:10 AM
Only if you are insecure and need to feel part of the crowd. You know, one of the sheep.

Keithb87
10-24-2003, 10:11 AM
I used to wear Gargoyles at $150 to $170 per pair.
I only had to loose 1 pair to realize that even thought the $15 glasses did not look as cool. I could loose 10 pair of those and not feel so bad.

mirvin
10-24-2003, 10:16 AM
Yes, yes they do. If you're buying the ones that are expensive because they have great lenses. I don't know about the "designer" ones, never owned any.
My sunglasses are prescription so they are $150 regardless.

JetBoatRich
10-24-2003, 10:18 AM
Get what you pay for, I bought my Oakley's for $150 about 5 years ago. Still have them, try to take care of them. Sent the frames in once for replacement $19. If I will be doing something that may loose or damage them, go to 7-11 and buy the cheap pair.

Havasu Cig
10-24-2003, 10:22 AM
They do make a difference...I have eye problems and can't wear cheap glasses because the lens quality strains my eyes. I wear mostly Oakleys.All the test I have read have listed oakly as having the best lens clarity.
I did pay $200 for a pair of Maui Jims though, but rarely wear them because the Oakleys are easier on my eyes.

BADBLOWN572
10-24-2003, 10:33 AM
I usually buy the sunglasses that range in price between $70-120, because most of them are fairly high quality. I have sat on them before and they don't break, drop them no big deal. I used to buy the $15 glasses, but they would break all the time. I still have the same pair of sunglasses that I wore in high school. Granted I have replaced them with a new model, but they are as good as new. Take care of your glasses and they will last a long time. Loose them and it is your fault!

manuel
10-24-2003, 10:47 AM
I bought a pair of SolarShields polarized "fit overs" ($27.95) to fit over my prescription glasses and they are great, there are some called Cacoons that do the same thing, they block out all the side light also and with them on I can see fish, weeds, rocks that I didn't see without them, and at speed I can turn my head without them getting sucked off, only down side is I look like those little old people after they've been to the eye doctor,
but I'll take looking goofy for being able to see better, I've passed them around when we were floating around in shallow water and everyone is shocked to see all the stuff they couldn't before, they kill all the glare off the surface of the water,

GlastronGuy
10-24-2003, 10:56 AM
If you lose them, so what. (http://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=3238&parent_id=3675)

bohica
10-24-2003, 11:06 AM
Cheap imitations, no one can tell the difference. To many stylin catfish down there so now I buy the fake ones.
http://www.fakeoakleys.com/oakley.htm

dimarcobros
10-24-2003, 11:20 AM
Most of my buddies have exspensive galsses as do I. When we get into town we go to the store and buy some cheap crap for the boat. Sometimes they are awful and other times I would actually wear them everyday. It is a sure bet that someone will drop theirs in the lake and never see them again. But on the way home we still have our normal glasses. If you happen to have your cheap ones still at the end of the weekend we leave them there and we are good to go the next trip. Just my .02
DMB

Starloans
10-24-2003, 11:40 AM
Any frames or brand will do that you like. Just get polorized. I think all MJs are and you can special order Oakleys from their website. I do some boating in the Yuma/Martinez area and polorized keeps me off the sand. :D
Polorized makes a world of difference.

Screaming Pete
10-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the post I can see that the RA types where the glasses that you can see the bottom and the sand bars I like the Costa del mar's my self not for the name but the proformance:cool:

Reaper1
10-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Get some aviators like Ponch and John and you'll be stylin.:D

j-rod
10-24-2003, 12:59 PM
I have a pair of Black Flys (Micro Flys) that I been lucky to have for the last 3 years. I found another pair that I lost and the pair I original got broke, wrote back to company and they sent me a new pair. Is this great country or what?

BADBLOWN572
10-24-2003, 01:10 PM
Black Flys is great when it comes to customer service and replacing your glasses if they break. I had a pair of #5's and I dropped them one time and the lense popped out. I sent them in and they replaced the glasses free of charge. They said that even though it was my fault that they were dropped, the lense should not have broken. Because of that I have had probably 7-10 pairs of Black Flys.

STGP
10-24-2003, 01:11 PM
I agree with the polorized thing. You can read the water much better, I have avoided alot of shallow spots because of polorized glasses.

eliminatedsprinter
10-24-2003, 01:14 PM
I used to buy Oalkeys, Bolle's, and Ray Bans. But now I have a pair of medium cheap ones ($25) that I like better than any of the above in comfort, durability, looks, and performance. I think they are called "Flames". :cool:

fourspeednup
10-24-2003, 01:27 PM
I'm all about the black flys. Had a pair of microflys for the last 6 years. (Of course i did lose them for 3 years under the desk) Just upgraded 2 weeks ago to dso stretch, sweet. Best pair I ever had at blocking wind came from the swap meet for $4.:cool:

Screaming Pete
10-24-2003, 01:36 PM
Where do you find these Black Fly's???:cool:

eliminatedsprinter
10-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Screaming Pete
What kind of sunglasses do you where, are the 150 $ pair worth all the jack?:cool:
The short answer is no. As long as they are optically correct and do the job of blocking harmful light UVA, UVB etc and protecting your eyes from wind etc. They are fine. And although a $5 pair isn't likely to do that, it is not necessary to spend $150 bones to find a pair that will.:cool:

rvrtoy
10-24-2003, 02:04 PM
I have an assortment of Spys that I wear. They range from $50 to $75. They wont break the bank and they serve their purposes well.:D

Dream Chaser
10-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Oakley has a great warrenty dept you break the frame they replace no problem. i have found that if I pay $100.00 for a pair I am more likley to take care of them.

anxious
10-24-2003, 05:23 PM
i wear spys. they fit my cranium the best and they look good too. i was sponsored by them for three years so i have a few lying around.:p

hboldno7
10-24-2003, 05:45 PM
I dont wear anything but Black flys, flecky wont let me.:cool: :cool:

Dr. Eagle
10-24-2003, 06:46 PM
I have some Maui Jims, predator type that are polarized. They cost about $155 and I have had them for three years. Hated to part with the cash but the polarized are definitely worth the $$$
I also have some Icicles (diamond plate aluminum frames) with polycarbonate lenses that I wear jetskiing.

C-2
10-24-2003, 07:48 PM
Fly’s No. 5, hands down the best boating glasses.
Real glass lenses, about $90 ($65 at the OC swap meet), they look killer and most importantly, keep the wind out of your eyes.
I have Maui Jims and Revo’s, both polarized, they are great driving glasses but cost an arm and a leg. I also have a pair of Gatorz – billet aluminum glasses. They’re cool but don’t do the job when hauling ass in your boat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132flysno5.gif

CA Stu
10-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Maui Jim Volcanos. Wrap around, polarized, can see deep into the water, keep the wind out of your eyes at speed, fit my melon snugly and won't blow off. Can't beat them.
I broke a pair, Maui Jim replaced them for $8 shipping. 1-800-MAUI-JIM.
Well worth the $150+ IMO. $150 at the Costa Mesa swap meet, $180+ anywhere else.
Of course if you're a clumsy drunk, get some ropes for them :D
CA Stu
PS make for great pervert glasses. The missus never knows where I'm looking...:wink:

RIVER WILD
10-24-2003, 10:24 PM
I FIND THAT THE BETTER PAIR MAUI JIMS / RAYBANS HAVE LESS STRAIN ON YOUR EYES ESPECIALLY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY AND I LOOSE LESS PAIRS KNOWING I PUT OUT A FEW $$$

blownmoney
10-24-2003, 10:29 PM
flys,oakleys, stay in the truck, keep the 10 dollar shades in the boat!!

Backtanner
10-25-2003, 10:04 AM
$10 glasses I bought in Topoc. I mostly liked the fact that they float.

rrrr
10-25-2003, 10:43 AM
Ray Bans, a buck twenty in the style I like. I am pretty good about taking care of them.
One pair was ruined early this summer because I agreed to let a buddy drive my boat and pull me on my parasail. Stupid me, I assumed he would actually wait for a "go" signal and look backwards as he took off.
Before we could get the sail inflated in the breeze he nailed it. I ran fast as I could, tripped, sunglasses disappeared under my fat sliding body, got to the edge of the island and splashed down in the lake. He dragged me about another twenty yards before he decided to turn around and see if I was flying.
Along with lots of skin pizza I had a pretty mangled pair of glasses. The funniest part of the deal was that there was a boat about 20 yards from where I hit, the guys in it had asked if I would fly 'em. After I came to a stop I stood up, looked over at them and asked if one of them was ready to go next. Heheh, they fired up and drove away.
For some reason I saved the ruined glasses, and a few weeks ago I accidentally scratched the lens on the identical replacement glasses. I exchanged the lens out of the old ones and was ready to go again.
Uh, he ain't pulling me on the sail any more.... :D :D

bear down
10-25-2003, 11:23 AM
I have 4 pair of Oakleys and have had most of them for over 4 years. Oakley's Customer Service is second to none. For about 20 bucks I get new lenses in each of my sunglasses if they need them and if the lenses are not removable from the frame for 40 bucks oakley will give you a new set if you say you need new lenses. I just purchased a new pair of polarized from Oakley and they are the shit!! Though I would not buy some of their $200 plus glasses.

JetBoatRich
10-25-2003, 01:16 PM
buy what ever makes you happy and screw what others think.
:( :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I am just used to buying a decent pair of glasses, that cost to much money. When ever I need glasses I end up at Sunglass Hut and find what I need/want.