PDA

View Full Version : Throw bearing

fear the turtle
10-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Hi, sorry I know this really isn't the best site for this stuff but it's getting later in the day and the only tech site I know moves pretty slow. Besides, this site probable has just as much if not more knowledgable people then any other.
But here goes, I believe the throw bearing in the clutch of my truck needs replacing. Wednesday I got a real bad rattle from there when engaged, but it's gone away now. I'm just wondering how long I could get away with driving it like this? I really needed to go away this weekend but don't want to spend the money on a mechanic and won't have time until next weekend to change the entire clutch out if I do go awa. Will it survive or do more damage to the rest of engine? The rest of the clutch still has alot left. Should I risk it or just cancel and get it done as soon as possible?
thanks in advance for any help.

j-rod
10-24-2003, 03:15 PM
If the throw-out bearing does go out you're stuck,but there will be no futher damage to the engine (will Run all day but no forward motion) If you can stay the highest gear that your best bet but it's still a gamble you gotta shift sometime!!!
On the other hand if it's to go to the river?

GlastronGuy
10-24-2003, 03:33 PM
Don't use the clutch for up or down shifting.

fear the turtle
10-24-2003, 03:33 PM
thanks. I guess if it's gonna be all or nothing with no tell tale signs of when it's gone for good I better just get the job done.