PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Fires

Froggystyle
10-26-2003, 11:05 AM
Well, I have my shit packed. I was a professional firefighter for several years, and this is the biggest, widest flame front I have ever seen, including the fountain valley fire in 1992 in NorCal.
Scripps ranch is going up, Miramar is jeapordized and speculation has La Jolla in the fire's path.
I'm thinking about taking Lightning's boat (in my yard) to the river, just to be safe... ;)

Dr. Eagle
10-26-2003, 11:17 AM
I have been looking around on the internet, forest service, cdf and so on. I can't find a thing on the San Diego fires. If it is in Scripps Ranch, it is more of an Urban fire...I almost bought a house in Scripps Ranch a few years ago. Mira Mar? Might as well be downtown! Hope you are OK!

JetBoatRich
10-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Sounds like you are prepared, be careful. The fires are moving fast.

ULTRA28
10-26-2003, 01:07 PM
We watched the fire all night last night as it moved towards our ranch. We were having a birthday party for a friend that we new was going to be an all nighter, so everybody brought their motorhomes and tents so they didn't have to drink and drive. We got a call around midnight from Martin my gel coater warning us that he could see a fast moving fire heading towards us, but we couldn't see anything because we are down in a valley. Around 2:00 A.M. we could feel the heat and see the glow, but still didn't worry. By 4:00 A.M. the fire had come over the top of El Cap mountain and was heading striaght for us, we saw all the other people in the vally evacuating, (one guy even towing out his Ultra). We still had about forty people at the house so everybody helped load the motorhome and load the horses and we got out of there. I went back until the cops made us leave. The ranch behind ours, the park along side us and the hill across the street were all on fire when I left. I've been calling the house every half hour since I left to hear the answering machine to make sure my house was still there. About fifteen minutes ago I only got a busy signal and thats all I have got since. We are still holding out hope. The waiting to know is the worst part. So here I sit at Ultra smelling the smoke and watching houses burn accross the freeway. Fire has now made it to within a mile of Ultra. Gotta go now, talk to you guys next week.
John West

Froggystyle
10-26-2003, 01:16 PM
That's too bad John... I have been thinking about your ranch off and on all morning. :(
I just came back from the CDF station offering my vehicles or experience and saw Jet4Fun loading up and getting going to go fight it.
The"Paradise" fire in Valley center could be affecting some hot boaters as well, now that I know that Nashville Bound lives there.
Best of luck to everyone. If you need anything, my number is 619.823.5643

ROZ
10-26-2003, 01:26 PM
Yep, it's looking pretty grim di=own here in the San Diego east to central counties.... The bummer is that so much support(air) was either sent up to the 909 and been laid up for the year, that we haven't seen much air drop since this thing started...I hear close to 100k acres have burned...Considering the size of the county and is population, a lot has burned... 2 of my coworkers, who live in San Diego Country Estates, were evacuated at 3am... The forest backs both their houses....
Like RiverToys, I too will be ordering a snowshovel to remove the ashes from my yard...Never seen a snow shovel before; I wonder if it will come with directions...;)
Someone posted that the fire moved into the Miramar area....A carpet supply whss in an industrial area just went up n smoke... A real fear is that the fire willl travel through the west canyons heading through UTC and into La Jolla..
I know WetWillie lives somewhere up near Ramona. I hope the fire hasn't caused him any problems...
Fwy shut downs: 15, 52, and east 8..

ROZ
10-26-2003, 01:29 PM
Hey Wes, How about Boulevrd...Is the fire getting close to them up there???
Totally forgot that Jet4Fun was down here. I wish him luck...

jbtrailerjim
10-26-2003, 01:49 PM
John,
I hope everything is ok at your ranch. Makes me feel kind of uneasy knowing the fire is within a mile of Ultra beings my Essex is sitting in your showroom. I'm more worried about your house though. Hope everything is ok.:(

TheEduKATor
10-26-2003, 02:00 PM
As most of you know I'm a teacher, and I teach in Scripps Ranch. I've been in shock all morning as i've been wathcing houses slowly burn to the bare earth beneath them. All of my students live in Scripps Ranch and the surrounding areas and my thoughts and prayers are with them and their families. I hope they have all been evacuated unharmed to safety. In the short five years I've been a teacher, I've had to deal with students who lost their lives to gang violence, car accidents and suicides. I just hope that no more are lost due to this fire. I've heard reports of several deaths in the Scripps area and my heart sinks every time I hear such news.
Ms. EduKATor and myself are waiting for information from a school board meeting to let us know what will be happening at our school sites. I know a few collegues who live in TierraSanta which is now being threated and I believe some structures are already on fire there. All this and plus all of my family lives in the 909 and I have aunts and uncles who are experiencing the same thing, being evacuated with 5 minutes notice. The sky looks like Armageddon has arrived, I hope there is some chance of containment soon.
John & Wes our thoughts and prayers are with you, your families and all other forum members who are experiencing what is going on. Be safe everyone.

HBjet
10-26-2003, 02:24 PM
Here are some photo's from San Diego we took today.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20IMG_0047-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20IMG_0048-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20IMG_0052-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20IMG_0054-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20IMG_0060-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20IMG_0063-med.JPG
We wen to SD last night to relax in a beach condo and woke up to these photo's around 10-10:30am
Froggy, Ultra28, and the rest of you peeps in SD, be safe and get out when you can. Our prayers are with you guys.
HBjet

ROZ
10-26-2003, 02:33 PM
Just heard that if the wind changes diretion both Fairbanks Ranch and Rancho Santa Fe may be hit..I think they said a 25% chance...DAMN this fire is moving fast!
HB, you stay at South Mission Beach?
Good idea Dave, I'd have no problem helping out...Got plenty of room over here for a couple boats;) Seriuosly, If you need help, I'm game...

TheEduKATor
10-26-2003, 03:37 PM
John, I'm right off the 8 and only about 15-20 minutes away from your shop. I've got the truck fueled up and ready to help out as well if you need to tow some boats out of there.

Mandelon
10-26-2003, 03:48 PM
I've got some friends from Tierrrasanta, who were evacuated from their house staying with us, plus all their cats and dogs. There are ashes all over and the sky is dark. I live in UC, pretty close to the canyon that would be the path for the fire, along 52.
They evacuated the area around my office and the fire is visible within a 1/2 mile. I don't think the industrial park will be susceptible due to lack of fuel, but if the wind kicks up...who knows.
Sounds like John is right up against it. Good Luck, I hope it turns out OK for you. Let me know if I can help.

TheEduKATor
10-26-2003, 03:56 PM
Does anyone have a way to get a hold of John besides the computer. I just noticed in his post he said "I'll talk to you guys next week" so I doubt with the fires getting closer to the shop that he would be on the computer. So if anyone can reach him and if in fact he does need assistance then maybe they could relay the info on the boards for those who would be able to help. Just my .02 cents

Sherpa
10-26-2003, 04:05 PM
my sister lives in Rancho Santa Fe, and by the looks of the
satelite maps, it's getting close..............
the entire neighborhood is alot of eucalyptys trees..........
I hope their place will be alright........
--Sherpa

hd&boatrider
10-26-2003, 04:06 PM
Good luck out there everybody. This truely amazes me about what is happening. Didn't think all of this could happen down here but I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.
Do you SD guys think I should just blow of the football game tomorrow? It sounds like the fires are all around that area.
Hope they get a handle on this....soon

H20 Party Starter
10-26-2003, 04:11 PM
All my shit is covered with a foot of ASH!!!!!!!!
Call me @ 619-507-3828 if you guys need another truck or another hand with boats

ROZ
10-26-2003, 04:31 PM
I guess the best way to reach him is the shopp number..If it rings or if it rings and he answers he's alright. If the phone goes straight to a busy signal, the area's system is down, or the shop is potentially gone...As I said earlier, I have 2 coworkers who live in the Ramona area(San Diego Country Estates). One number goes to the phone's answering machine, and the other goes straight to a busy signal once.....They are blocks from each other. Hope their homes are both alright...
Mandy, Hope all goes well with you guys..Also hope your friend's place is spared as well....
Sherpa, If your sister is in the Covenant she may not have to worry, but if she's in the most southern new developments she'll be on the lookout...
I also just heard that the Escondido fire is headed out of Valley Center over the grade and down into East Escondido in 2 areas..One at the foot of Valley parkway and Lake Dixon, and the other by Orange Glenn Highschool...Hoefully the Wild Aniamal park is spared.....
This shit is waaaaay to crazy!

hd&boatrider
10-26-2003, 04:44 PM
Just talked to my brother and they are considering moving the game tomorrow to either PHX or Oakland. He mentioned somewhere else but I can't remember what he said. The game definitely isn't going to happen in SD but I don't think anything official has gone out yet.
I have (2) sisters that live in the Bonita and East Lake areas and they have voluntary eveacuation notices at this point. If the fire burns through there lots of homes will be lost. My parents used to live off the 52. This shit is out of control.

Windy
10-26-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
Just talked to my brother and they are considering moving the game tomorrow to either PHX or Oakland. He mentioned somewhere else but I can't remember what he said. The game definitely isn't going to happen in SD but I don't think anything official has gone out yet.
When we were in San Diego this morning they said the Stadium is being used as an evacuation point and the Chargers cancelled their practice today.
There is also thousands of people without power, and some may have to go without power to conserve energy, so if you get a busy signal it may because the power is temporily shut off.
Ive never seen anything like it. My prayers go out to all those affected by this.
MissHBjet

RexRathburn
10-26-2003, 04:55 PM
Here's a picture of the fire from my house in Poway. We haven't had to evacuate yet, and hope we don't have to. A friend of mine had his house burn today in the Sycamore Canyon area of Poway. It just sucks!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1181smoke1-med.jpg
Take care to all of you.
Tom

hd&boatrider
10-26-2003, 05:05 PM
You know seeing all of this makes me think of something that I was told years ago by a Forest Ranger. He was telling me about fires and the nature of them, etc. One of the things he told me that was because of developement infringing on/around forest areas that it was being set up for a major catastrophe (sp?) His point was that when fires start up the pressure is on them to get them out ASAP thereby not allowing the fires to take their normal, natrual path. Based on that there was/is lots of areas that have not burned in many years. Well, that is just additional fuel that will cause a lot bigger fire down the road. He blamed this on changes at the top and the policies in place. He understood and basically told me they don't really have any other choice. You have to try to save what you can where you can but it just builds up to a point we are at now. That combined with all the dead trees, winds, drought conditions and of course the asshole arsonists. I hope they find out who started the fire but they only catch about 18% of the arsonists based on statistics.
Sad situation.......

jefferson
10-26-2003, 05:13 PM
this is a bad deal guys...i used to live out in so cal and i have a lot of friends out there. to everyone out there that i know and those i dont best of luck. wish i was out there to help move peoples stuff. good luck to you guys i hope all that shit goes around you guys.
-Jefferson-

Desert Rat
10-26-2003, 05:14 PM
If any one out there needs to store anything due to this fire (ie) trailers, boats, motor homes etc I have an acre up here in Lancaster thats fully fenced and its yours. Myself and Mrs Desert Rat will include all of you in our prayers.

Froggystyle
10-26-2003, 05:27 PM
Thanks for all of the support everyone. It looks like everyone is getting plenty of warning for evacuation at this point, and we have not been instructed to yet. I am in southern El Cajon, in the Mt. Helix/Rancho San Diego area so we personally look OK so far.
But the guys with burned out houses were looking good this time last night.
I can't believe the width and breadth of this fire. All of a sudden, living in a rural area on a lot of land seems like a liability!
My thoughts are with those who are screwed without means of helping themselves right now. Audrey's aunt and uncle (with cousins and her mom living with them right now) have/had a house in Tierrasanta that is absolutely in jeapordy, if not history right now. Some of you met Tristann at the release party... her house. They left with very little notice, and have been glued to the TV all day. If that went up, we will be having some guests for a while.
I will ask for help if I need it. Right now I am truly worried about my boat plug in Boulevard. If that place goes up, I am hosed. I am keeping my eye out for a 27' long flatbed trailer, that's for sure.
Talk to you all later,
Wes

jbtrailerjim
10-26-2003, 05:49 PM
I tried calling down to Ultra about a half hour after John posted and all I got was an answering machine. Hope everything is ok.

JetBoatRich
10-26-2003, 06:20 PM
I am ready to roll and help any of you out, call me home and no problem. Have a truck and trailer if you need it. No work the next few days, so just let us know what we can do.

Mandelon
10-26-2003, 06:35 PM
The winds have really died down. There is ash all over. The fires continue to burn all over the county. It is amazing how many different parts of the city are on fire. I read that 615 houses are gone????
Friends have lost a house in Tierrasanta....:(
We will see what tomorrow brings.
Wes, I have a friend with a 20' flatbed trailer, dual axle, 2 1/8" ball hitch. Let me know...........
All SD City Schools are closed tomorrow...my kids are happy. :rolleyes: :cool:

JetBoatRich
10-26-2003, 06:37 PM
Mandelon everything cool near you?

Mandelon
10-26-2003, 06:39 PM
My office is 5 minutes away down the freeway and the fire was visible nearby...I don't think it will get to us, just not enough fuel for that to happen.
I heard from a couple of my workers who are ready to take the day off. If all the freeways are still closed then it will make sense. I came up from Southbay earlier and there were no cops on the road so I was going 85 mph++.
14 people dead so far...........includes two teenage boys caught in a car... :(
I am glad the power and water are still working. 11,000 without power now....
Here is the NFL info.
Fires may move Monday night game
NFL.com wire reports
SAN DIEGO (Oct. 26, 2003) -- NFL officials are considering moving the Chargers-Dolphins Monday Night Football game out of Qualcomm Stadium because of wildfires in the San Diego area.
Joe Browne, the NFL's executive vice president, said Sunday the league had spoken with Chargers officials about the conditions. The sky throughout the county was choked with smoke and ash from three fast-moving fires that burned more than 120,000 acres, killed 11 people and burned nearly 300 homes by Sunday afternoon.
Mayor Dick Murphy urged the NFL to either postpone or move the game.
Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said team officials were on a conference call with the league and he expected discussions to last into the night Sunday. He heard that three or four alternative sites were being considered, including Phoenix.
"I don't know if they'll cancel it, play it here or move it to another site," Smith said. "We're prepared to get on a plane and go somewhere. We can move real quickly. We're just waiting to see what the NFL will do.
"Also, remember, it's a night game, so we're still borrowing time."
The Dolphins arrived in San Diego late Sunday afternoon and were awaiting word from the NFL, a spokesman said.
The Qualcomm Stadium's parking lot was turned into a major evacuation center as residents from several surrounding neighborhoods were ordered out of their homes by authorities.
Smith said he'd never seen a situation like this, and like thousands of San Diegans, was watching coverage on TV.
"I'm watching the news right now and it seems to be ongoing," Smith said.

hd&boatrider
10-26-2003, 07:03 PM
Just heard on the TV....The Chargers game will be held in Tempe, AZ tomorrow.

JetBoatRich
10-26-2003, 07:07 PM
That would suck if you had tickets and can't make it to AZ:(
A lot of people look forward to the Monday night games, so it needs to go on.

Danhercules
10-26-2003, 07:12 PM
I also heard 600+ homes gone. :(

TheEduKATor
10-26-2003, 07:50 PM
I've been watching the news when the broadcast from the Red Cross Shelters to see if I can see any familiar faces of my students or their parents. School's canceled for Ms. EduKATor and I, but my thoughts are with my students, co-workers and all of san diego. The Scripps Ranch area has taken a real beating with over 100 homes being lost. I've seen $800,000 homes turned into mounds of ash and BMW's exploding on the news, and we just watched live as our old apartment complex in TierraSanta burnt down. I can't imagine what my students and their parents and everyone who is affected by these events are going though. I heard the two teenage kids who parished were burned alive in their vehicle while trying to evacuate. Hopefully with the winds calming a little it might help out the fire departments efforts. I live up on Montezuma Mesa and on a clear night I can see Qualcom Stadium and parts of TierraSanta. Tonight I have a visability of four blocks. Unbelievable!!! No word yet on containment.

Back To Havasu
10-26-2003, 08:02 PM
Anyone know if the Lake Wohlford area of Escondido has burned. My mother-in-law lives there, and although she has been evacuated, and is staying with my brother-in-law, she is worried about her home. Thanks for any info.:confused:

Dr. Eagle
10-26-2003, 08:38 PM
Hello everyone,
I hope you are all well. I am listening to the situation on KCBQ radio online. It sounds pretty grim so far. I have a lot of friends down there as I worked there for 3 years...
Rob E

Hustler
10-26-2003, 09:42 PM
This sucks, Having bought my first house this year I feel so bad for anyone that has lost there house. When I was a kid I lost my house to a fire, the house is easily replacable it's the small things that you miss :( If any of you need any thing feel free to ask

C-2
10-26-2003, 10:26 PM
Similar to Desert Rat and to follow his lead, we have an acre of vacant land/horse property in the La Sierra section of Riverside, fenced and only a quarter mile from our house. More than willing to help any boating brothers or their families.

ROZ
10-26-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Back To Havasu
Anyone know if the Lake Wohlford area of Escondido has burned. My mother-in-law lives there, and although she has been evacuated, and is staying with my brother-in-law, she is worried about her home. Thanks for any info.:confused:
Sorry to report that a lot of the property around Lake Wolford has burned. If you know and remember where Bates nut Farm is, a lot of that has burned in that area... LAke Wolford and Woods Valley road area...Heck, it burned even further west from there about 2 miles up...Lots of land and a few homes near lake Dixon as well...
I hope everything is alright with Nashvillebound and Caddy Shack..

CMABadseed
10-27-2003, 12:12 AM
hey guys
i'm in school up here is SF and its a pain in the ass to find info out of this fire. my folks and my borthers live in Lakeside, and i cant find anything out about the fire. getting worried about them down there. they live at the end of Julian where it goes up lake jennings park road (in that little neighborhood you can see coming down the hill). can somebody please let me know if this area has been effected, or not. i am really worried about a lot of firends and relatives in that immediate area.
thanks fo any info. alos are there any sites or numbers i can call for fire info?
thanks fellas,
Mike

WetWillie
10-27-2003, 06:04 AM
CMA
I am in the same boat as you. I am in texas and my wife had to take the kids and leave our house in Scripps. It was not effected as I live in the newer section. Most of the older section was burned. I have been getting the news from my wife and checking
www.signonsandiego.com and www.kgtv.com
A couple people in my office said there was a map showing the areas burned. If I get a link I will post.
One of my employees here losts his motherinlaws house. She lived down near Barona. Guess hes gunna have a new room mate when he gets home :(
WW

WetWillie
10-27-2003, 06:07 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/fires/ataglance.html

WetWillie
10-27-2003, 06:14 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/fires/images/031026aerial.jpg

WetWillie
10-27-2003, 06:20 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/fires/images/gibbins/gallery03.jpg
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/fires/images/gibbins/gallery05.jpg
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/fires/images/gibbins/gallery01.jpg

AZKC
10-27-2003, 07:00 AM
Holy Crap. You guys hang in there and be safe :(
KC

ULTRA28
10-27-2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks everybody for all of the offers to help. The fire stopped about 150 yards south of Ultra at the base of the hills. It is still burning off some brush, but at least there are no winds today, so I'm sure Ultra is all good, other than all of the boats needing major cleaning. My ranch was spared along with a few other ranches near us. Everything east of my place is gone from what I've been told, the wind shifted south right before our place, which sent the fire into Blossom Valley. The guy behind us only lost his barns (no livestock), so thats good. If anybody else on the boards needs help with their horses because of the fire, we have plenty of room for more. We are bringing ours back this morning. Someone should be at Ultra later today to answer the phones, so just call if you need us to board for you.Thanks again for all of your concerns.

Dr. Eagle
10-27-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by ULTRA28
Thanks everybody for all of the offers to help. The fire stopped about 150 yards south of Ultra at the base of the hills. It is still burning off some brush, but at least there are no winds today, so I'm sure Ultra is all good, other than all of the boats needing major cleaning. My ranch was spared along with a few other ranches near us. Everything east of my place is gone from what I've been told, the wind shifted south right before our place, which sent the fire into Blossom Valley. The guy behind us only lost his barns (no livestock), so thats good. If anybody else on the boards needs help with their horses because of the fire, we have plenty of room for more. We are bringing ours back this morning. Someone should be at Ultra later today to answer the phones, so just call if you need us to board for you.Thanks again for all of your concerns.
Thank goodness you guys and your home and livelyhood are OK. You must be feeling a great deal of relief. A few years back, we had a major fire burn up to the house two down from us, but the CDF and local fire managed to knock it down with helicopter water drops and fixed wing aircraft. It is like sitting on the head of a needle. You are almost afraid to breath as you sweat it out. Glad to see you made it through OK.
Rob E

hd&boatrider
10-27-2003, 08:55 AM
That was close :( I am glad your family and Ultra is OK.....

Mandelon
10-27-2003, 09:15 AM
Got into my office OK this AM. No traffic on the roads. Air is thick and grey, hard to breathe outside. A couple of our jobs are in evacuated areas so we are going easy today.
I've got a nasty headache and it hurts to breathe. :( I passed a small fire on the way in alongside the 805, south of 52, but it was isolated.
We did a major remodel on a place two years ago that I think may have burned.
There's gonna be of lot work out there!!!!!!!!!!!:(

jbtrailerjim
10-27-2003, 09:17 AM
John,
Thank God. I'm glad to hear everything is ok at your house and at Ultra.

Dr. Eagle
10-27-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Mandelon
There's gonna be of lot work out there!!!!!!!!!!!:(
And more upward pressure on our already insane Homeowners Policy premiums... :frown:

Lightning
10-27-2003, 10:07 AM
Well here's my story...
I was in Ramona at my lady's parents house on Saturday night for dinner. They live in east Ramona (as far east as you can go), their home backs up to the Cleveland National Forest. They just built a brandnew 3800 sq ft home. At 5:30, some smoke was sighted in the canyon about a mile north of their home. Her dad called it in, but no one could respond to the fire.
Anyhow, we ate dinner and were about to go to sleep around 11pm, when the sheriff came over and asked for a volutary evacuation. He said that the fire was less than a mile away. We packed up some photos and other things. Took grandma and one of the dogs and left. As we were on our way out of Ramona via the 67 and Poway Road we saw the first fire truck heading in (about midnight). Her parents stayed and packed some clothes and the other 3 dogs and left about an hour later. They called us on the way out and said that the CDF truck was in their driveway plugging into their 2 5000 gallon water tanks. Long story short, everything around their home burned, but the home was saved. Even the chainlink fence that is off the bacl of the garage for to keep the dogs in was melted.
I literally saw the first few hours of the fire and saw the canyon it was burning in. To see how much damage it has done is unbelievable. I went to sleep on Saturday night at my home in University City (San Diego) which is at least 35 miles west of the home I was at that night in Ramona. I woke up to the smell of smoke and the fire burning less than 2 miles from me on Sunday.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the families that were not as fortunate as we were.

MagicMtnDan
10-27-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
California in the 909 and particularly down here in San Diego is some of the fastest growing areas in the country.. That equates out to ALOT of earth moving equipment etc...
Don't ya think we oughta take advantage of some of that and clear some of the brush in the fires path? (1st suggestion)
2ndly, at every construction site they have water trucks that hold more water then a fire truck.. These guys with 40 of these things (which they have about 40 of them sitting filled with water right across the street from me right now) could drive down some of the fire roads that are in the fires path and literally soak the place..
RD <---- wondering why were not using all the resources at hand if we are extremely short handed in the firemen dept.. right now.
I like the water trucks idea - there's a whole lot of those things all over the place!
And why don't they call out the National Guard to protect the burned homes from looters and maybe even offer support services to the firefighters? What the hell is the NG for (here in the US) if it isn't called out in an emergency like this?! :mad:

Dr. Eagle
10-27-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
I like the water trucks idea - there's a whole lot of those things all over the place!
And why don't they call out the National Guard to protect the burned homes from looters and maybe even offer support services to the firefighters? What the hell is the NG for (here in the US) if it isn't called out in an emergency like this?! :mad:
Yeah, I agree with you on that one Dan... THe NG ought to be activated...maybe the speed of this incident has something to do with the fact they haven't been as of yet.
Water trucks are a great idea, but a lot of this terrain is difficult to inaccessible by vehicle. Also you would be putting those drivers/operators in a dicey situation. Maybe the county fire authorities have a policy against comandeering civilian gear or something.
As far as the earth moving equipment, I have actually had a fire started on a construction site by the blade on a Cat D-8. Struck a rock outcropping and just one little spark had the whole damn hillside on fire... I see them use the bulldozers in the mountains up north, really haven't seen them using them in the south this time anyway, but maybe I just haven't seen pics of it yet.

clownpuncher
10-27-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
California in the 909 and particularly down here in San Diego is some of the fastest growing areas in the country.. That equates out to ALOT of earth moving equipment etc...
Don't ya think we oughta take advantage of some of that and clear some of the brush in the fires path? (1st suggestion)
2ndly, at every construction site they have water trucks that hold more water then a fire truck.. These guys with 40 of these things (which they have about 40 of them sitting filled with water right across the street from me right now) could drive down some of the fire roads that are in the fires path and literally soak the place..
RD <---- wondering why were not using all the resources at hand if we are extremely short handed in the firemen dept.. right now.
Finally, a subject on Hot Boat that I can declare myself an expert on.
To answer your questions RD. When it comes to the equipment that you mentioned, it's not as easy as jumping in a dozer and cutting line. Unless the operator has a good knowledge of fire behavior and weather patterns, he's asking for a ton of trouble. Even the seasoned guys get caught off guard by a sudden wind shift, malfunctioning equipment, lack of communications etc. The BIG difference is, these operators and their equipment are supplied with training and saftey gear to help them out in such a bind. They've been trained to deal with these obstacles, and yet they still get hurt too often.
That's not to say that we haven't ever used the publics assistance. I've been on fires, both structure and wildland, many times and asked for the assistance of a heavy equipment operator. The difference being is that we were there to look out for him and tell him exactly what we needed, nothing more.
Dozer operators and water tenders in the fire service pretty much work alone, possibly with a spotter (FD personnel as well). I wouldn't want to put a civilian in that situation. It's just too dangerous.
There are however private companies that contract their dozers, water tenders etc. They are held to strict safety standards for their equipment and personnel. Each dozer/tender must have minimum items to protect the operator and my bet would be that the equipment you are referring to don't meet the minimum safety requirements.
I just got off the phone with my boys on the fires. They're being de-mobilized from Blockbuster/San Bernardino area and immediately being re-deployed to San Diego.
Sounds bad. Hang in there everyone. Stay safe and plan ahead. Gather your can't-do-withouts way ahead of time and have an escape route AND AT LEAST one alternate route to escape you area. Find out now where your shelters are (the stadium in the SD area) Check for other shelter areas near you in case you can't get the the stadium, or other shelters and MOST IMPORTANTLY have a plan and back-up plan.

Mandelon
10-27-2003, 12:41 PM
The water from the trucks would evaporate quickly. Some of the fires are so hot the water heaters, furnaces and even stoves are melting. The winds howl along at high speeds and 150 degrees. Green plants dry up in minutes then catch fire.
If the embers blow and can jump ten lane freeways, the dozer track is not enough.
I passed a firetruck putting out some hot spots on the Marine Corps air base. The smoke is thicker than ever. Not much wind here today though.

MagicMtnDan
10-27-2003, 01:34 PM
Here you go...from NBC San Diego:
San Diego authorities enlist street cleaners to use their water trucks to fight the flames.
http://images.ibsys.com/2003/1027/2583040_320X240.jpg

MagicMtnDan
10-27-2003, 01:35 PM
from NBC San Diego as of 1PM:
SAN DIEGO -- Because of an imminent threat of fire, San Diego officials have made the decision to evacuate residents living in the following locations:
Pine Hils -- evacuations ordered at 12:30 p.m. Monday
Sycuan -- evacuations ordered Monday
Viejas -- evacuation ordered at 11:15 a.m. Monday
Escondido -- evacuations ordered on the following streets near the Eagle Crest Golf Course on Holly Oak Place, Rosewood Lane, Mesa Oak Place, Wild Oak Lane and Ranch View Place. Evacuations ordered at 11 a.m. Monday
Alpine -- evacuation ordered at 9:50 a.m. Monday

Mrs. Bordsmnj
10-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Dammit, I grew up in SD, San Carlos to be exact and it is just breaking my heart seeing and hearing all of the devastation going on down there. So far so good with my family there but its getting close to some.
Hang in there folks!! my thoughts and prayers are with everyone!

Lightning
10-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
Dammit, I grew up in SD, San Carlos to be exact and it is just breaking my heart seeing and hearing all of the devastation going on down there. So far so good with my family there but its getting close to some.
Hang in there folks!! my thoughts and prayers are with everyone!
I don't know if you heard and I hate to deliver bad news, but parts of San Carlos were on fire yesterday for a short while.

summerlove
10-27-2003, 02:17 PM
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine. He's a VP with a very large SD contractor (they're building the new Padres ballpark), and two of their employees lost their homes, 3 are uncertain, and another lost his daughter and his other daughter is in the burn center with 85% burns. They're the kids who were trapped in the car. The newspaper reported the sister and her brother, when in fact, it was both daughters. My heart and prayers go out to them. I'm just so sad right now...
Rick:cry:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
10-27-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
I don't know if you heard and I hate to deliver bad news, but parts of San Carlos were on fire yesterday for a short while.
I am on the phone with my sis who still lives in San Carlos and she is okay so far.
Thanks for the news. Keep me informed if ya would, the news up here isn't very detailed on the SD fires.

Mandelon
10-27-2003, 02:29 PM
http://sosd-gallery.camzone.com/albums/sandiegocountywildfires/flames3.jpg
http://sosd-gallery.camzone.com/albums/sandiegocountywildfires/flames2.jpg
http://sosd-gallery.camzone.com/albums/sandiegocountywildfires/flames1_001.jpg
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/fires/images/gibbins/gallery01.jpg
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/fires/images/gibbins/gallery02.jpg

Mrs. Bordsmnj
10-27-2003, 02:39 PM
Hey Mandelon,
Everything okay in your neck of the woods?
I definately have you and yours in my thoughts and hope all will be ok. :D
Linda

Ziggy
10-27-2003, 04:17 PM
DP:(

Ziggy
10-27-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
[B][
http://sosd-gallery.camzone.com/albums/sandiegocountywildfires/flames1_001.jpg
]
These guys are working their asses off and we should very proud of the job they are doing... High praise to them all for their cooperative effort to save lives #1 and properties. Hope the rest of you all feel the same way and won't hesitate to drop a few bucks in their boots the next time you see them in front of the stores(instead of picketers)

Mandelon
10-27-2003, 04:22 PM
Hey Linda, thanks for asking, everything is OK around our place. The fire did not get much past the 805 (yet) so we are several miles away. Lots of smoke and ash. Headaches and chest pain...but that's all. Our friends headed back to Tierrasanta. We heard the police will let them back in.
I saw a list of addresses on www.kfmb.com the local new station. It is pretty sobering to say the least.
I strongly recommend you make a videotape of all your stuff. Go room by room and tape every one of you possessions. Send the tape to a friend or relative to keep for you. That way the insurance company can't argue.

MagicMtnDan
10-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Is it still legal anywhere in CA to build a house with a wood (flammable) shingle roof? I'm very sad about all the people who have lost their homes but I still don't understand how folks can have homes in areas of heavy vegetation and still have wood/flammable roofs. Seems to be common sense to replace the roof asap with tile.
Sorry if this pisses anyone off but I gotta ask after seeing those pics (above) with the roofs on fire.

Ziggy
10-27-2003, 04:29 PM
Is it still legal anywhere in CA to build a house with a wood (flammable) shingle roof? I'm very sad about all the people who have lost their homes but I still don't understand how folks can have homes in areas of heavy vegetation and still have wood/flammable roofs. Seems to be common sense to replace the roof asap with tile.
Sorry if this pisses anyone off but I gotta ask after seeing those pics (above) with the roofs on fire.
I think you're seeing the tile roofs made to look like shake shingles...too much heat for any product on the roof. Wind was so strong that embers were blown into attics and under the eaves where they caught fire. Watched one do exactly that on TV yesterday.

Mandelon
10-27-2003, 04:34 PM
I believe most of the wood shingled homes that burned had roofs that were 20+ years old. All new roofs have to be fire rated. Shingles don't qualify without expensive treating I think.
You can buy shingle to patch and do small additions though.

JetBoatRich
10-27-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine. He's a VP with a very large SD contractor (they're building the new Padres ballpark), and two of their employees lost their homes, 3 are uncertain, and another lost his daughter and his other daughter is in the burn center with 85% burns. They're the kids who were trapped in the car. The newspaper reported the sister and her brother, when in fact, it was both daughters. My heart and prayers go out to them. I'm just so sad right now...
Worst news, lost of 2 children which can not replaced, my heart goes out to your friends.

RandyH
10-27-2003, 04:53 PM
These fires are just about the baddest thing I have ever seen. Good luck to all of you. Our prayers are with you.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/Images/California.A2003299.1840.jpg
RandyH:(

Lightning
10-27-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
I am on the phone with my sis who still lives in San Carlos and she is okay so far.
Thanks for the news. Keep me informed if ya would, the news up here isn't very detailed on the SD fires.
They just started letting people in Tierrasanta and San Carlos a couple of hours ago. They are not letting anyone into Scripps Ranch at this point - complete blocks of homes have been burned in this neighborhood. Most of the problems with the fire at his point are in Alpine and Descanso are as well as in Otay. From the new reports, it sounds like they are just starting to get a handle on this thing.

MagicMtnDan
10-27-2003, 05:46 PM
Neighbor Warned Fire Victim to Leave
Monday, October 27, 2003
SAN DIEGO — As flames closed in, a neighbor ran to Nancy Morphew's door to warn her. But Morphew didn't seem worried about getting out in time.
"She met me at the front door and said, `I know, I know. Go help other people,"' David Wallace recalled. "She seemed like she had a plan."
After the fire tore through Sunday, Morphew was found dead in the road, her burned-out truck sitting at the bottom of a steep ditch along Yellow Brick Road.
Like many of the 13 people who died in the wildfires burning across Southern California, Morphew — a 51-year-old woman who took pride in running her own horse ranch — apparently underestimated how fast the flames were moving.
"I think she got disoriented and the smoke was probably real bad," said another neighbor, Charlene Pierce. "It looks like she just drove into the canyon."
Morphew apparently was overcome by flames after climbing her way out of the ditch, according to the county Medical Examiner's Office. Her empty horse trailer was spilled about 25 yards behind the truck.
Elsewhere in Valley Center, Ashley Roach died Sunday after fire trapped the car she was riding in. The young woman had been trying to escape with her brother. He was rescued by firefighters.
At least nine other people were killed by the fires in San Diego. Their names were not immediately released, and the San Diego County Sheriff's Department had few details on their deaths:
—Two people were found in a car, and another person was found close by in a driveway near the rural community of Moreno.
— Also near Moreno, one person was found dead in a motorhome.
— Three people were found dead on the Barona Reservation, one in a vehicle and two who apparently tried to escape on foot.
— Two other people were taken to local hospitals, where they were pronounced dead.
"The majority of these deaths are caused by people trying to escape this fire and not following directions they are given," said Sheriff Bill Kolender. "When you are asked to leave, do it immediately. Do not wait."
In San Bernardino County, a fire was blamed for two stress-related deaths Saturday: 70-year-old James W. McDermith collapsed as he was evacuating his home; Charles Cunningham, 93, collapsed as he stood in the street watching his house burn.
"There are a lot of people who just don't want to leave their house," said San Diego County sheriff's spokesman Chris Saunders. "I don't know if they're not taking the warning seriously enough or it's an instinct some people have to protect their properties."
But many people who survived the fires said they were never warned to evacuate.
"Oh, no," said Wallace, whose wife is a fire commander in Valley Center. "We were on it before authorities were even aware of it. My wife is a fire captain, so we had a great game plan."
Wallace and his wife stood by their house, which had a wide clearance area free of brush around it. The 37-year-old stay-at-home dad said that, like a Paul Revere, he drove up and down their street on his motor bike, then his car, rousing neighbors. Morphew, however, thought she had time to spare.
"Obviously, she was trying to save her animals. And people who have animals, well, they're very dear to them," he said. "I just wanted her to be aware of the situation so that she could make her own decision on what she needed to do."
He added: "I think it's very tragic."

ROZ
10-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
I think my wife may have been telling about these girls. She didn't give me any patient details(against the law), but she was weeping to me about some girls who tried to outrun the fire with their car...Something about the pavement being so hot that the tires melted stopping the car, and it was then engulfed in flames....
My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families envolved any of the So Cal fires.

ROZ
10-27-2003, 06:50 PM
Hot boater spoted at the Carlsbad Mall...
I was in Carlsbad this afternoon and saw a couple camping out at the west end of the Carlsbad Mall...They're living out of their Weekend Warrior with their trucks, dogs, and of course, their Ultra. I stopped to offer luck...They live in the affected end of Escondido and were told to get out...

spectratoad
10-28-2003, 11:48 AM
I am in the Army Guard here in Nevada and I just got word that we sent out some help this morning and yesterday. Hope it helps somewhere along the way. I just partied with the helo guys saturday night but I am sure they are all recovered and ready to fly by now. Here is the news I got...
California’s Governor called Governor Guinn yesterday to request Nevada’s support in containing their wild-fires. The Nevada National Guard responded to the request; On 27 October, we sent one air-guard structure fire truck and 4 airmen with a strike team out of Reno to Southern California. On 28 October, we sent three CH-47 helicopters with 2000 gallon water buckets and twenty-two army and one air men to Southern California. The CH-47s crews were supported by a Nevada Air National Guard C-130 with five air men. The Army CH-47s will be operating out of Los Alamitos Reserve Center and will most likely be on the Cedar Fire. We are still waiting for information on were the air guard structure truck will operate from. :)

ROZ
10-28-2003, 12:07 PM
A BIG THANKS to you guys up there. We really need it down here...

SUPERCREWJOHN
10-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Thank god you and your family are safe!!

summerlove
10-28-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
I think my wife may have been telling about these girls. She didn't give me any patient details(against the law), but she was weeping to me about some girls who tried to outrun the fire with their car...Something about the pavement being so hot that the tires melted stopping the car, and it was then engulfed in flames....
My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families envolved any of the So Cal fires.
While I don't know the family directly, it is an extremely sad and unnecessary tragedy. My buddy who works with the kids' father was almost in tears as he was telling me the story. I'm still very bummed that this happened because someone was careless.
To all those who have lost family, friends, homes, pets, and jobs as a result of the fires throughout the so cal region, my thoughts and prayers go out to all of you!

89checkmate
10-28-2003, 01:31 PM
We live in Tierrasanta and were able to get back to our house yesterday around 4:00pm. Everything was ok at my place but down the street at the end of Clairmont Mesa Blvd. many homes were lost as well as much of Mission Trail Park. We had to leave quickly...we left the boat and the beemer behind. luckily everything was still here when we were able to return.

89checkmate
10-28-2003, 01:43 PM
here are a few picture of our neighborhood

89checkmate
10-28-2003, 01:46 PM
pic2

89checkmate
10-28-2003, 01:47 PM
pic3

summerlove
10-29-2003, 04:26 PM
Wes, did you get the plug out of there? Is it safe? Are you guys OK? Send an update, many of us are concerned about your project and since it's currently all wood, it'll go if given the opportunity. Hopefully, it's in a safe place, like in a concrete bunker somewhere by the beach!

Froggystyle
10-29-2003, 07:20 PM
Currently, the boat plug is sitting on a trailer, truck attached waiting to go down the hill into El Centro should the need arise.
Fires are still pretty far from Boulevard, but I assure you, I have not been sleeping very well thinking about the boat in imminent danger... :confused:
Thanks for the good thoughts though.

summerlove
10-30-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
Currently, the boat plug is sitting on a trailer, truck attached waiting to go down the hill into El Centro should the need arise.
Fires are still pretty far from Boulevard, but I assure you, I have not been sleeping very well thinking about the boat in imminent danger... :confused:
Thanks for the good thoughts though.
Glad to hear that! Thanks for the update...

spectratoad
10-30-2003, 12:33 PM
Well being in the Guard I can tell you alot of it is politics and unions. My unit up here in Reno sent three Chinook (2 Palm trees F&^ING a banana) with buckets on Wednesday. I know that the governor has to authorize use. For the most part though all civilian sources have to be given first rights before the military can be called in. All falls down to the almighty dollar. We often have some big fires going here in Northern Nevada and our helo's with 2,000 gal water buckets sit on the ground waiting.

NashvilleBound
10-30-2003, 03:54 PM
Finally getting back online. We lost power, cable and phones for a bit. It was tough not seeing any news for 4 days but we had a backup generator and cell phones. (Mediacom cable SUCKS) thankfully our little house on the hill is ok. I'm glad I put in the fire hydrant at my front door when we did the pool. That 2 horse pump kicks my ass with two, 2 inch hoses going. We spent the last 4 days loading and unloading our own stuff as well as friends and neighbors. Thankfull to hear all is well at Ultra and Wes's. We have several friends who didn't fair too well but nobody we know lost their life. Garages and tools can be replaced..family and friends can't. Its sad to hear about the others. It was quite a show which I hope we'll never see again.
NB